Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

I am home from my aspiration... only 15cc, so I am hoping it does not return.. I have extra compression on it...

AND while I was there, they all had so many questions about going to NOLA for surgery... the nurse told me she has never seen such good reconstruction... she said that she has seen good recon, but nothing as natural as mine... YAY!!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited February 2012

Still working on getting into St charles but it will cover Fairway.  So, I can have Dr. M do the surgery at Fairway, all is covered  but I have been told she won't be rounding on me as it is so far away from St. Charles.  My lymphedema is so bad that I feel she is the best to follow up with me everyday post op. I wouldn't do this surgery for just breasts-it will help my LE as nodes come with the flap from my belly.  Ashley, bless her, is still trying to get an approval for a 1x at St Charles-I'm not holding my breath.  Have any of you gals w/LE and reconstruction had you surgery at Fairway??  I am sooo disappointed and down in the dumps.  This insurance shit just wears me out.  Seriously considering not doing anything.  Would love to hear your stories!   Hugs!!   katiejane

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2012

Hi Ladies,

The surgery went well yesterday.  I was told beforehand that they planned on removing some skin too so that I had clean margins and could avoid radiation. 

I meet with the oncologist next week Thursday.  We'll see what he/she suggests. 

Test results will come back in 5 days for what they have removed. 

I have checked out FertileHope.com briefly.  I will have to ask the doctor what the risks are.  If I don't have to do chemo that would not be an issue, but I have a strong feeling I will have to do it.

When you lost your eyebrows did you pencil them in?  I have really dark hair-my eyebrows and eyelashes are black.  I am trying to picture myself without them.  Embarassed

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

KatieJane... Just so you know, even if you have your surgery at SCSH you may not see her everyday. I certainly did not see my doctor everyday.. I saw Laura the PA everyday and sometimes a doctor would pop in, but I wouldn't want you assuming that its an all or nothing situation. I have heard that Dr M does make rounds maybe more often than the Center's doctors but there would be no guarantee you would see her daily at SCSH.

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

KatieJane, I had surgery with Dr. Massey At Fairway. I was there for 4-5 days and she came ALMOST everyday and this was for my skin graft which was to cover my open wound...obviously not as complex. I believe Dr. Sullivan lives in Covington or maybe it is one of the other docs and I know he has done rounds for her over there. I wouldn't worry at all. You might want to check with Nordy, I believe she may have had her stage one at Fairway.

Stay positive, it will all be okay!

Michelle

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2012

I've had 3 surgeries with Dr. M that involved overnight hospital stays. I saw her every day, usually in the morning before that day's surgeries.

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

Caitlin, I only lost my eyelashes....eyebrows only thinned for me. I do know of some of my chemo buddies that penciled in. They went to the make up counter at Nordstrum to be taught how to do it to look close to real.

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2012

Caitlin:  I was like Spring and it didnʻt bother me to have my hair come out slowly.  Some people may feel stressed about seeing clumps of hair fall out so shaving would be less stress.  I did cut my hair short to shoulder length as my hair is long and black. I think my hair started really falling out at about 3 weeks.  I had 2 wigs throughout my treatment as I wore it everyday.  I loved my wig!  I bought it at a hair salon.  They have a lot of styles. This one woman at my church kept telling me my hair was so nice and shiny and where did I get my hair cut?  I finally had to tell her it was a wig because I felt guilty lying to her.  My eyebrows and eye lashes did fall out but not all of it.  I just let it go. I had a wig stand that I used to place my wig on daily as it helps to keep the shape of the wig and it also aired out because it does get sweaty. Canʻt wash the wig.  If you buy a wig, do it before you start treatment so the hair stylist can help you match the color of your hair and style.  I still wore eyeliner and lightly penciled the eyebrows. 

Eva:  I had a lay over also in San Francisco. Once you order a wheelchair, they seem to have it for every leg of your flight including layovers and when you arrive at home.  I did use a porter. Security was great with the wheelchair.  Didnʻt go through any detectors at Louisiana. If they do ask you to stand up, show them your drains; theyʻll probably let you go.

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

Caitlin... look into Brian Joseph brow and lash gel... I used it starting right as chemo started, using it everyday, and did not lose my lashes. I did lose my brows though... go figure, but they were easy to pencil in. I also had two wigs (bought at a wig boutique) but I did wash mine.., and I also used a wig stand. I also got tons of compliments... actually made me wonder since I got more compliments with the wig than normal, and I have always had great hair.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

KatieJane, many many many women here have surgery at Fairway. Do not NOT do the surgery because of the hospital! You will be well cared for. The docs would NOT go there if it was not an excellent place. The women here can attest. 

Eva, I have the vibe that you will sail right through the TSA crap with no issues. Focus on smooth sailing, I see it in your future...

Spring. 

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

So Spring... are you joining us girls in April for the NYC Massey event??

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Caitlin, I lost all my brows and eyelashes.  I don't think there is any way to imagine how you will look hairless.  I did find out I have a perfectly shaped head!  I looked like Uncle Fester for a while.  My friend looked like Voldemort (a little kid told her this!).  I got through that phase knowing that it was temporary (and I avoided mirrors).  Yes, I penciled in my brows.  The normal waxy creme I normally use to refine the shape did not work without hairs.  I did fine with a Sonia Kashuk pencil.  I didn't always do my brows, or makeup for that matter, as I had a lot of dog days through chemo, nor had to work.  I'm 5 months post chemo and my brows are falling out again!  Thankfully not all (knock on wood).  I hear it can take a few cycles for the shed/regrowth pattern to stagger again.  Just another thing where you hear eeeeverybody is different, and you get to wait and see!  

I'm glad to hear your surgery went well.  When will you be going home?   

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2012

Caitlin, I am one of those that did not wear a wig. Maybe it was because the ones I bought were so cheap... And also cheap looking! What could I do, my hubby was a full time student and I was home with a new baby?! I wore scarves - some that were very beautiful. Everyone is different - you will see what works best for you. And I also went with nothing when I was home - it was summer and I was so blasted hot! I did not pencil in my brows, but I have blond eyebrows anyway, so did not notice them so much when they were gone. Now my eyelashes, as fine as they are, I did miss. But for me, they fell out gradually so it was easier to get used to. As for hair, mine started falling out right around day 21. I had made a decision early on that once it started coming out in my infant daughter's hand that I would cut it, and that is what I did. First going with a super short hair cut, then a couple weeks later just shaved it with a number 1, then a couple weeks after that shaved it all the way down. It is something to deal with for sure. In the beginning of treatment, i felt like nobody knew I was sick, but once the side effects of chemo kicked in, everyone knew. Now when I see people who look like they are going through chemo, I always make it a point to ask and give them a hug. To date, nobody has turned me down! Hang in there. I am sending you a huge hug right now. (((())))

Katiejane. I was not one of the women who had surgery at Fairway. But there are plenty of women on here that have been there. I have never heard a bad word regarding the care they were given at Fairway. And if it is any consulation, most of us aren't rounded on daily by our attending surgeon. But SOMEONE will round on you every day. For my stage one, I saw Dr. D once or twice, then saw Dr. M the rest of the time. For stage 2, Dr. D saw me the next day and then I was discharged. I agree, do not not do the surgery just because of where you are going to be having it. I think Anne W has had one or two surgeries there and I do not ever remember her being unhapppy with her care (and I think she is also a nurse, so would have high expectations). I am hoping she will chime in here - otherwise, do PM her. The absolute most important thing is that you have your surgeon. And if your surgery is at Fairway, you most likely will have Dr. S assisting her... And you know how fabulous I think he is! Hang in there - this is but a bump in the road in the whole scheme of things. I had to fight my insurance every step of the way. Exhausting as it was, it was all worth it. Hugs to you my friend!

Eva, glad to hear ypu are doing well. It will all be okay on your flights home. Unfortunately there is not really a direct flight from nola to the pnw. I actually like getting out of the plane and being able to stretch a bit. Sending positive vibes to sailing through tsa tomorrow. Whatever you do, don't wear a top with metallic threads running through it! I wore that when I flew to Nola last month and had to be patted down because it messes with their scanners! Oops!

• Nordy
    edited February 2012

Fight-like-a-girl-- glad to hear your appt went well. Crossing my fingers for no more insurance woes and a peaceful time before march!

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012

Hi Caitlin, great to see you back here on the boards. Best of luck to you and please keep us in the loop. It sounds like chemo is not entirely inevitable at this point. But it's probably good to be prepared.

Nordy, no metallic threads, but I do have the lovely garment with the zippers and hooks down the sides. I'm assuming that will get flagged. 

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012

I had my nip tat with Vinnie yesterday and it is perfect. It looks so real that I'm already starting to forget that it's fake.

I'm thrilled with my recon results! Just thrilled! I have a sense of peace and closure now.

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

Cancer's a bitch to whip
    The losses are so hard to grip
    But it now seems like nothing
    Cause Brandy's out strutting
    One perfectly tattooed new nip

Congrats 

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012

THAT'S THE MOST AWESOME POEM ANYONE'S EVER WRITTEN FOR ME!!!!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

I love it, too!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited February 2012

Ditto!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Betsy, not sure about the NY event, I have something here ( a day yoga retreat ). That is hard to pass up!

Save travels Eva! Hopefully the TSA inspection was uneventful!

Nothing happening in our list above until Feb 28th!!

Feb. 28 - Jane 123 (Tamara) - Stage 1 Dr. Gray and Dr. Dellacroce, NOLA.  

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2012

Hi y'all!  I've been away from home for a week and now that I'm home, finally got to check in.

The verdict is finally in on my tattoos that Vinnie fixed up and he did an amazing job.  Strangely, they peeled three times, so the color was blotchy up until a few days ago, and for a month, I wasn't sure what the end result would be.  Although Vinnie wasn't sure he could make them match (one was hot pink and one was mauve), he did it!  Another issue I had with the previous tattoos was that the right one did not extend over the edge of the circular areola scar, and he fixed that too.  I'm so glad that I had him work on them...I was worried because I sent photos to Vinnie a few months ago and he told me that he wouldn't know if he could help until he saw me in person.  When I finally made it to NOLA, he said that one might come out darker than the other, but they look perfect to me now. Yippee, finally done!  I'll be five years out from diagnosis in May, and I am so happy that my surgeries/procedures are now history.  My scars usually take about 16 months to completely fade, so a few more months and I should have my final result.   It feels really good---I had seven surgeries in all, over a span of 3 1/2 years.  Long journey, but so worth it.  I agree Brandy...peace and closure, (took me a long time to get there both physically and emotionally, due to my first surgeon being such a jerk to me and not having any artistic skill whatsoever).  It feels great to look in the mirror and be happy with my reconstruction, finally!

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2012

Sandy:  Iʻm sooooo happy for you!Laughing

Anyone had some problems with nipple recon?  My scabs are finally starting to fall off but I see pus on the side and under the nipple along with a divot on the breast next to the nipple.  Iʻm 6 weeks post op and should have been healed by now.  I hope this doesnʻt cause complications. 

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited February 2012

Well, here I am at 0230 in the hospital! Developed a fever of 104 , arm hurt like I'never felt before. It was slightly pink . By the time I drove 26 miles and got into the ER it was bright red. So they have me on rocefin and morphine and they say I'llb here for a few days! This sucks! Thanks for letting me vent!!!! Katiejane.

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

Katiejane - I'm so sorry to hear this! How aweful and frightening too. I hope they get it under control quicklly.

It's 0230 here too. I'm home! Yesterday was long and tiring but uneventful. TSA was a breeze. Frontier Airlines gives hot, soft chocolate chip cookies out free on all flights! the LSU Women's Gymnastics Team flew with us the whole way to Seattle. It wasn't an easy day, but I was well-looked after by my sister. My husband met us at the airport, got us home and fed. I'm in a rented recliner and I can get out of it ok but can't quite figure out how to get it to recline again. But there's no place like home!

• Adey
    edited February 2012

Yay for Sandy!

(((Big hugs to Katiejane.)))

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited February 2012

Hi Ladies,

I need help; I am four weeks post-op. I have spent 20 hours under anesthesia for recon. Two major surgeries--GAP followed by right flap failure, then DIEP to replace right flap. Now that I am four weeks out from DIEP, my new DIEP breast is HALF the size of the other one. They said they had enough stomach tissue to make the new breast but clearly that was not the case. Now they are telling me that we could (1) do another harvest (NO), (2) place a small implant (NO) or (3) do fat grafting.

Since I am now severely anemic and heading for a transfusion, there is no way I am going into the OR again anytime soon. At this point, the only thing I will consider is the fat grafting. Have any of you had experience with this? Did it work? Did it last? What does it look like? Because now I am going into the warmer months and I will have to wear an insert in my bra bcasue the right breast is so much smaller. I am depressed. I have had enough. I never expected my breasts would be perfect but I would at least like them to be somewhat the same size. Thank you for letting me vent and for sharing any experiences!

• Adey
    edited February 2012

Oh my.  Hugs to you too VictoriaB.  I have not had fat grafting but I probably will at my stage two in March.  I'm sure you'll get help from the ladies that have.

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

I have nothing to offer but very gentle hugs, Victoria. But for what it's worth, they are big ones. I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. It is SO very not fair. 

• Nordy
    edited February 2012

Oh my. So much going on,

First. Katiejane. What the h*ll? Can a girl not catch a break? I am glad that you were on top of things and got to the hospital as quickly as you could. Huge hugs to you. I hate to say this, but this may actually play into your favor in getting things covered for your reconstruction and tucking that flap into the axilla to help with the lymphedema. This sounds aweful that it would take something like this to spur insurance into gear...but unfortunately that is how it is sometimes. I am sending you positive vibes from the west. More hugs.

Victoria. I am so sorry. Yes, fatgrafting can help. So can reducing your larger side. I don't know how much you can expect fat grafting to add... Sometimes some of the fat is reabsorbed. This may be a good question to post to Dr. D on his ask the doctor website. Lots of hugs to you. Try not to despair - they will make it work.

Sandy! I am so glad to hear about your tattoos. I look forward to the day when I can have mine redone. I don't know when that will be... But sometime this year, I hope. I am celebrating with you on your being done!

Eva, glad your flights home were uneventful!