Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2012

Jaimieh - i don't know if you would remember, but Hopkins was one of the places I flew to when I was consulting with different docs around the country for flap reconstruction after my expanders had failed. And you know where I ultimately decided to go... Lol, need I say more? Have her call the Center. Since she is being actively treated for cancer, I bet they could get her in sooner... And those women that go there right from the start have such beautiful results. I know because I have seen them... We all share these days! More hugs to your friend again. If she wants to talk to me about my experience/consult at JH I would be more than happy to talk to her.

Katiejane... I hope you are feeling well this morning. Thinking about you...

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Did you guys notice our Vinnie is featured on the bc.org blog with an entry?  I love his story and passion and can't wait to meet him.  Thank goodness the Center got a hold of him!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited February 2012

Jaimieh -- I, too, had a consult at Hopkins and would not cross the threshhold there ever again! Needless to say, I ended up at NOLA and never looked back!!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited February 2012

Does Vinnie do his work at the Center, and can it be done at stage 2 surgery instead of having the nipple construction? I'd like to think of having the 3D tats done, and it would be nice financially not to make another trip later to NOLA. Does insurance typically cover his work?

I'm hoping to go to NOLA for consult in May, delayed DIEP in July, stage 2 in Dec.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2012

AnnAlive - my guess would no on the tats at the sametime. Your new boobs will be swollen and you wnat the tats in the right place. You also run a risk of infection when doing anything on the skin. I am 4 1/2 weeks out stage 1 and am waiitng until drains are gone and healed before retouching my tattooed eyeliner per Celeste. 

Since it is Mardi Gras I "flashed" my gyn today :) Didn't get any beads though..... hmmm. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2012

Annalive... I think there was someone on here that did her tats the day after stage 2.... I think she was one of Dr. D's patients and she had shells placed instead of nips. I will try to remember her name. I see both points of view - the wanting to be done and the added expense, and also the need for things to settle post stage 2... And they do settle. Best thing is to call the Center and get their take on things. If you do not have a lot to do revision wise, maybe the tats would not be a big deal to do... If you have alot of work needing to be done, maybe a few months to settle would be best. As for insurance covering - I paid for one side and they paid for the other. Something about them not allowing billing for two on the same day? Because apparantly insurance companies do not think we have two boobs...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Welcome Ann Alive! (love the name). I think there were 2 women who did that with their Tats, Nordy, the shell lady is Ginny B, no? I thought someone else did tats earlier on too. It typically is not the case though, But Ann, call them and ask. Let me know if you want any dates posted above...

I have to say, my butt is looking pretty good too. I have finally figured out what jeans to wear (Lee Secret Sleder Stretch with back flap pockets) - and let the pocket flaps get all crinkled to give it some volume, (LOL) PLUS, and I think this is the major thing, I ride bikes a lot. I push with my butt, it has rounded out. Or maybe it is time. Doesn't look half bad!

I went to a HS Reunion (did I tell you all this?) and an old class mate came up to me and told me at the end of the night that she had been staring at my butt the whole evening, that's how good it looked! LOL!!! I told my hubby later, and he remarked, "she has no idea what you went through to get that butt". Worth it!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2012

Springtime,  Thank you for that.  My husband and I are laughing so hard right now! He says it's like the Visa ad:  PRICELESS!   What year reunion was it anyway?!  Peace, Tamara

p.s. Need2new, I will phone you tomorrow.  I am sorry you have been feeling low!  Would you like a visitor?  Gentle, big hugs, Tamara 

• need2new
    edited February 2012

Tamara - Funny, I was going to call you tomorrow. I know you are getting ready to embark on your adventure to NOLA. I am doing fine, just the ups & downs of healing, life, & stupid f'in cancer :)

Spring - that is awesome, hope you got a big smile from that.

Nordy - I was whining at my husband the other night that if men got mastectomies we would get 3 months off and paid for at 100% not 80%. Guess what they pay penile implants at ??  

• annalive
    edited February 2012

Thanks for the feedback on tats at stage 2, ladies. I guess time will tell. I wouldn't want to mess up a nice recon by getting them too early.

Tamara - Looking forward to your NOLA story, praying for a smooth experience for you.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2012

Mind if I let out a little "whoop" here? Today is my 10 year cancerversary! (Of course, I had a second primary nearly 5 years ago, so I actually celebrate twice!!) I really couldn't imagine seeing this day, 10 years ago.

I have been humbly blessed by a decade of friendships here at BCO. And today I will hold in my heart the friends who have not been as fortunate in their journeys.

Thanks for being here, sisters!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited February 2012

AnneW-  Congrats on your 5th and 10th anniversary!!!!!

Spring-  Your husband responded just right!  I would never have imagined that I might need to add a bit of volume to my big ole butt.  (c:

Peace to you all today and everyday.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012

Ten years since they diagnosed can-
    cer and who knew when it began
    you'd not only be here
    but happy and cheer-
    ful. Hip hip hooray for our Anne! 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

So Ladies... I am so impressed with myself... I went downhill skiing this past weekend and then just this morning took a step class... I used to step and spin and more recently have been just doing the elliptical and weights... Oh boy... I now know why I used to be in great shape. It was a super workout. I am determined to lose weight... so many of you have been such an inspiration.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Way to go Betsy! I didn't know they offered step classes any more! I used to *love* doing that...

CONGRATULATIONS x5 and x10 Anne!!! That is so friggin awesome!!!  You are our role model, girl!

Looky looky, Tamara is up next...

Feb. 28 - Jane 123 (Tamara) - Stage 1 Dr. Gray and Dr. Dellacroce, NOLA.  

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012

Is it normal or worth worrying about that my breast pain is getting worse? I'm two weeks out today and it's not suddenly worse or a lot worse or worse in one area. I'm just generally feeling more chest ache. I had been starting to take less of the pain meds but now I need more. I'm approved to take two every four hours. I'd been taking one every four hours. Now I'm taking one every three hours and sort of watching the clock. No fever. Is this normal?

• need2new
    edited February 2012

Eva - We are all different but I did the same thing. Needed more pain meds about week 3. I actually called and got a different med besides Vicodin as it doesn't really work for me without feeling really icky.  Remember your nerves are going crazy, some swelling might be going down, your body is changing daily. I am 5 weeks out tomm. and lost 1 hip drain today. Yeah!! As my body has been waking up my pains are different. All tolerable just different.

Also - love the limerick for Anne.

Anne- I love it! 5 & 10 are big milestones. I think you need some new jewelry :0 

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2012

Congratulations Anne!  That a celebration!

Spring:  That was funny!  Glad it looks great!  Thatʻs the nice thing about suffering for foobs.

Betsy:  Glad you were able to go back to classes.  I finally went to a cycle class yesterday.  My legs were shaky!

Iʻll need to read the story about Vinnie. 

• Adey
    edited February 2012

bdavis-  It sounds like you're getting back to.......normal?  That's fantastic!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2012

Here's a link to the article about Vinnie. I just posted a comment so I could thank him publicly.

• Adey
    edited February 2012

Thanks Sandy I didn't know how to find it!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2012

Thanks for all the good thoughts, my friends. And Eva, that was a very special limerick!!

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

So I won a king cake on the Center's facebook page... So excited! A little New Orleans is coming my way!

• annalive
    edited February 2012

Betsy - fabulous! I read your comment on the FB page. Let's see a picture of you and your cake next week.

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

Will do!!

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

Ann... I was just looking at your signature... why are you stage IIIc when you had a 2cm and one node?? Wouldn't that be stage II?

• annalive
    edited February 2012

Betsy - tumor metastasized through the skin, with positive punch biopsies, thickening, pink/purple discoloration, enlargement, peau d'orange (sounds like IBC, but report and docs call it IDC). BS and MO expect that there were many more positive nodes, but neoadjuvant chemo cleaned them up. BMX Pathology report had 0/19, but we know I had at least a positive node with 1.5 cm tumor in it and extracapsular extension (biopsied before treatment), and a second probable, not biopsied.

From definitions of stages, it seems like stage IIIb to me, but both BS and MO still claim it was IIIc, and I read it in the history BS wrote for referral to PS. I guess it doesn't matter that much because treatment would be the same, but I'd prefer it to fall neatly into a definition too for understanding prognosis and stats. Because I had complete pathological response, no stage is noted on the final pathology.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2012

Vinnie did my tatoo's and I can NOT begin to say enough + things about him.  BTW, I was also featured in a local paper with him.  Too bad I look goofy but here it is.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/local/tattoo-artists-help-breast-cancer-survivors-who-had-reconstructive-surgeries/article_c1cbc24c-ff5f-11df-b875-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=story

His work is AMAZING!  I can not say enough about how wonderful it is.  BTW, he kept telling me the entire time how great my girls looked....lol...

• Adey
    edited February 2012

Thanks Jaimieh.  (c:

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2012

I have been so busy lately, and even though I pretty much stay caught up on my reading I haven't had time to post in awhile. But just had to pop in to say:

Anne, so happy you are celebrating your ten year cancerversary

and

Spring-I really got a kick out of hearing what someone said about your BUTT at your HS reunion.

Hope everyone post surgery healing well:)

Amy