Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited April 2012

need2new-  I had my drains for two months after stage one.  One month free but enough time to build some hardy seromas.  (c:  Taken care of at stage two.  I had no pain with mine though.  3 weeks out from stage 2 and still have drains.  I'm hoping for removal next week, gave up on before Easter. 

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2012

Hi all...well i left the hospital last night after my stage 2! Not sure what to think yet... Main problem is itching... Thankfully not a full blown allergic reaction like at stage 1(prob was to morphine)... But i continue to get itches constantly in various spots... Not just where girdle is!

Any tips on this?

I took a peek and don't know what to think...i actually thought my boobs would be bigger knowing that the swelling will go down. so i hope i will like it when things settle out...

Flying back home tomorrow!

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2012

Whenever I see a reference to "Dr. S" my first thought is Dr. Seuss, not Dr. Sullivan. And that led me to this (with apologies to Dr. Seuss)

This BRCA Gene (with apologies to Dr. Seuss) Do you like
    this BRCA gene?

I do not like it,
    It's obscene.
    I do not like
    this BRCA gene.

Would you like it
    Here or there?

I would not like it
    here or there.
    I would not like it
    anywhere.
    I do not like
    this BRCA gene.
    I would rather
    intervene.

Would you like it in your chest?
    Would you like it in your breast?

I do not like it in my chest.
    I do not like it in my breast.
    I do not like it here or there.
    I do not like it anywhere.
    I do not like this BRCA gene
    I would rather intervene.

Would you like a bad disease?
    Maybe in your ovaries?

Not in my chest. Not in my breast.
    Not a disease in my ovaries.
    I do not want it here or there.
    I do not want it anywhere.
    I do not like this BRCA gene.

Would you? Could you? In your tubes?
    Have it! Have it! Who needs boobs!

You may like it. Why the fuss?
    Why not in your pancreas?

I do not like it in my chest.
    I do not like it in my breast.
    I do not want a bad disease.
    I want to keep my ovaries.
    I do not want it in my tubes.
    I do not want it in my boobs.
    I do not like it here or there.
    I do not like it anywhere.
    I do not like this BRCA gene.

Say!
    In the dark?
    Stay in the dark!
    Would you, could you, stay in the dark?

I would not, could not, stay in the dark.

Would you, from testing just refrain?

I would not, could not, just refrain.
    Not in the dark. Please, let me explain.
    Not in my skin and not in my gut.
    I do not like it, I tell you what.
    Not in my tubes or my DNA code.
    Not in my boobs or one single lymph node.
    I do not want it here or there.
    I do not want it ANYWHERE!

You do not like this BRCA gene?

I do not like what I have seen.

You do not like it.
    SO you say.
    But you can act without delay
    And you may live another day.
    You may live for years, I say.

Say!
    I still don't like this BRCA gene
    But you have a point I've seen
    I still don't want it in my breast
    I still don't want it in my chest
    I still do miss my ovaries
    But I don't miss this bad disease.
    So I will have an MRI
    Even with contrasting dye
    I will face mastectomy
    And also hysterectomy
    If this is how I must beat cancer
    Then knowledge is the only answer
    I may not like this BRCA gene
    But I have the chance to intervene.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2012

EvaM,    FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2012

Dawn, I just had blood tests; my MO checked my armpits for any lumps and asked me how I felt. Plus the regular listening to breathing and heart, checking for edema. Nothing indicates I need PET scan or anything. I'm glad you decided to play this summer! I don't wear a sleeve when I work out. But I take weights very slowly and I watch my arm positions. As in, I don't flail my arms around and I keep my arms bent instead of dangling when I walk.

I had the easiest bra shopping experience ever!! I wanted to try the Soma Intimates wireless Vanishing Back bra and made it to the store this morning. I wasn't sure of my size, so she measured me (38D) and it fit PERFECTLY. I'm a bit uneven in breast shape, plus my nipples are uneven. I look minimally uneven in the bra and it's got enough padding that my skewed nipples are invisible. Wonderful lift (not that I need as much as I used to) and shape.

I've dropped about 15 pounds since the beginning of the year. With just that little loss my shape has vastly improved! I'd say I am starting to see the benefits of lipo as well. I'm almost 4 months out from Stage 2. I am very motivated to stick to my eating and fitness plan for the next 30 pounds. Oh, having a balanced thyroid helps a lot, too.

• EvaM
    edited April 2012

I made it into a blog post complete with illustration (BRCA thing 1 and thing 2): 

http://evamoon.net/blog/2012/04/05/sorry-dr-seuss/ 

It's a bit of silliness, but still a good message I think. Feel free to share the post. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2012

Eva... I love it!!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2012

Eva,that is great!

DJ, too soon to tell. Be patient. You may find although you aren't as big as you imagined, you may be pleased with the shape and body proportion. I also think I had less breast swelling with Stage 2.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2012

Eva, you're a genius with the word and the rhyme!

I updated two dates above. You know who you are! DsnyDawn and KSue... 

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2012

Adey - I so hope I do not have my drains that long afetr stage 2. you are a juicy girl.

Eva - Love it! I have to share this with Dr. S (Sullivan not Suess)

DJ - what did you have done in stage 2? How do you feel? Glad you are out of the hospital. How is the weatehr or do you not care and are holed up in the coolness of the hotel?

I am going to ride out the seroma and deal with the pain. Not sure what they wil do to me in stage 2. i am sure I could be lipo'ed from head to toe but do not want that. Leaving it to the doc. 

• Djweinstein
    edited April 2012

Hi Need2new--he fixed backside and even upped the front. He also did some fat grafting and contouring...im very sore (in new places) and itching again which is the worst!! Im taking benedyl and zertec but sill itching! Weather is steamy but im not out much also flying home tomirrow.

• bdavis
    edited April 2012

I will say that now that almost 5 months have past since stage II, I kind of wished I had waited to have stage II... It seems that everyday I see how things are settling out.. My list of "wants" for stage II b are growing... I need fat grafting or baby flap on left side, a little lipo on lower butt and back (around midsection) to help smooth out my buttocks, under arms/back (lat) area (its like the fat migrated back there), and then perhaps something done with my belly around the belly button (but still hoping daily ab work will resolve that problem). I can now see how months or recovery can allow the doctor to see past the swelling and what is needed... Its all ok... it gives me more months to shape up.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2012

Betsy I waited 6 months for stage 2 because of work constraints.  Today I met with a personal trainer to jump start my exercise routine that was nonexistent once I knew I needed surgery.  Next week I have my tattoing with Vinnie and I will be done.  Looking back the body is amazing how it heals.  I think of Dr. Sullivan every day.  I was restored and glad to be at this point

• EvaM
    edited April 2012

Clothes for stage II in May? I'm assuming very warm weather. I'm also assuming tight black compression garments and drains. Do I need to bother with button up the front tops are are pullovers fine? Should I just stick to muumuus? I live in the pacific northwest and I don't have a lot of choices for hot weather AND hiding the underpinnings. Fortunately it will only be a couple of days, but I don't have a clue what to bring to wear. 

When this is all over I am so buying myself a backless halter dress.  

• bdavis
    edited April 2012

No need for button up... you will or should have full range of motion.. just sore... and yes, you will have drains and compression girdle... and yes, it can be quite warm in May, although last May was gorgeous... perfect weather.

• Springtime
    edited April 2012

I waited 11 months to 2b, and I had a long list too Betsy. It was worth it to me to go at it again.

• bdavis
    edited April 2012

Spring... I will be waiting 14 months... but I am feeling silly asking for some things... but know I shouldn't feel that way. Does that make sense?? For example, my buttocks could use a little more shaping now that swelling has subsided, it has some lumpiness... Only obvious when naked, but would want it fixed. Laura assures me that Dr D will fix everything.. and hope its all covered by insurance...

I am willing to go through another recovery, and would definitely do the plication if that would resolve my belly issue... All other stuff will be less invasive I think... I am hoping I don't need a baby flap and that fat grafting will resolve my breast issues... and am prepared for more than one surgery in 2013 if that's what it takes. Spring, I know you think the plication was really tough, but you do look great.

• EvaM
    edited April 2012

I see the point of waiting longer. I have a feeling my swelling won't be entirely gone by May. But my husband is changing jobs at the end of May and we'll be on different insurance. The thought of dealing with that was just making me wig out. I guess I'll deal with a 2b if I have to, but I hope it goes well!

• bdavis
    edited April 2012

Eva.. Insurance is the reason I had stage II in November... I had already met my max out of pocket, so it cost me nothing to go in November... if I had waited til this year, I would have been starting my coinsurance all over again... which is what will happen next year, but at least then I have all year to have stage IIb and possible IIc if need be.

• Djweinstein
    edited April 2012

Hi all--just checking-in.  It was a long flight home back to LA yeterday.  My bruises are starting to make their appearances...which makes getting in and out of bed a challenge.  I don't feel hugely swollen--is that still to come?  I'm wondering what to expect over the next week or so...and when things start to heal and see the end result!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2012

DJ, I never felt hugely swollen after Stage 2. Just bruised and sore. I rubbed in lots of arnica cream, took arnica tabs and Bromelain supplements to speed the healing process. Only had bruises for about a week.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2012

Eva. Green eggs and ham is my absolute favorite book... And I love Dr. Suess. I think you did a fabulous job!

DJ - glad to see you on the other side. It does not seem that long ago that I saw ou after your stage 1!

• need2new
    edited April 2012

DJ - so glad you made it home okay. Did you get the butt lift and a little lipo? How much more in the front? It seems my hips are gigantic as my waist was not big to begin with but now I feel how am I ever going to be balanced out?

• Springtime
    edited April 2012

DJ glad you made it home. Heal up!

Thanks Betsy, so glad to be done, and feeling good about everything. When you have stuff taken from a lot of "sites", I think it takes an extra try to get everything all back to being even and smooth. 

Need2 - you may be more balanced out after stage 2.  Stage 2 is all about the cosmetic stuff. Much more fun. ha!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2012

I had Stage 1 in March of 2010 and Stage 1B in April 2010 and Stage 2 in August 2010 and Stage 2B in March of 2011 I did not need Stage 3 because of nipple sparing, now I have been debating 1 more surgery I sent pictures to Jeanine because my left breast is usually half in and half out of my bra. My sister who has had the double mastectomy with reconstruction thinks I am nuts because she says her boobs are not perfect but better than none at all. My other sister has had the double mastectomy with no reconstruction and she thinks I am nuts too. I am not considering to be vain, I just want my breast to stay in my bra. I guess I just needed to vent a little because I am not getting much support here in NY. Thanks Girls

• Djweinstein
    edited April 2012

Hi Need2new--You know...it's hard to say what they did in Stage 2 as I don't see the results yet. The plan was to lift the butt a little, and do some lipo on the outside of my theighs, a little on the stomach, and the hips and add some to my breasts to even them out and make them fuller.  

I don't feel that swollen yet...in fact, I can't see much of anything yet, except bruises!  So I anxiously look forward to seeing changes unfold in the coming weeks/months.  I'm having to take it on faith that Dr. D will have me looking amazing...otherwise I wouldn't be able to say anything this close after Stage 2.  So I'm sure he'll have you looking amazing too!  I'll continue to check-in with you all on my progress...thanks for all the good wishes!

• bdavis
    edited April 2012

DJ.. you are only one week out.. I would give it at least 8 weeks to see results.... maybe more.

• need2new
    edited April 2012

SO ladies does that mean even with the lipo you stay the same size until swelling goes down? I am barely in my jeans now! I can't even wear the bras the center gave me since they leave an indent on my boobs.

I found one at Target last night that has a longer band onto my tummy that just might work.

Happy Easter 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited April 2012

Sally-  You are NOT nuts.  Take care of yourself and do what you need.  I'm sure you didn't question their choices.  I hope they come around to supporting you.  Hugs.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2012

Sally, you're the one who has to live in your skin, see what you see. There is nothing vain about wanting to have your reconstruction improved. I'm sorry your family is dismissing your feelings. You don't live for them. Follow your heart.