Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2012

Ski2... I have always had large breasts (D) and was told I did not have enough abdominal fat for 2 breasts.. Even though I had 2 children, I did not have the abdominal pooch. So Dr D planned on a stacked procedure (now called Body Lift) but in the end, he got 2 D breasts from the GAP flap only. A month later I needed a redo on the right side due to skin issues, and had DIEP for the right side only. Now, after stage II, I am a size C cup which Dr D felt was more proportional to my body...

And yes, GAP is easier to recover from, and yes, the drains stick around longer... but it ends.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2012

I'm slender with large (D) breasts. I was told over and over that I didn't have enough fat to approach my former size. I went to NOLA and they did hip flaps (love handles). My breasts are actually larger right now than they were, but I'm told that's swelling (it's been less than two weeks). I expect to end up right about where I was but perkier. 

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2012

Betsy-that would be 0.03mm

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

So that is considered node negative in my doctor's book.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2012

My surgical oncologist was very worry it was so well hidden and it seemed to grow every time we did something, so she wanted to do a port and remove more nodes but my medical oncologist convent her that that wouldn't be necessary and that doing the T/C would be sufficient. I was happy that I wouldn't need another surgery.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited May 2012

Ski2 - I am one of those people.  Thank goodness for NOLA as I did not want implants because of the silicone and because I did not want my pecs messed with.  I had what is now termed the Body Lift (PBM) and re-filled my C-cups with my own tissue (I am almost 5'2" and weigh up to 115#, a mesomorph-thanks, genetics).  I was told by local docs that no way did I have enough for even one breast. It really bummed me out that due to BRCA2 (no thanks, genetics) I had to make this decision. 

I walked around the house for weeks trying to grab fat / isolate it to reassure myself that a trip to NOLA was worth it.  I spent waaaay too much time peering in the mirror at my backside wondering... and when I got to NOLA I told them I probably bruised my hips pinching them so much!

PM me if you want to talk via phone.  I would be happy to help.  It was a seriously difficult recovery for ME the first few weeks post op but then I bounced back very well.  My buddies cannot believe I had surgery as I look the same/wear same clothes/do same activities.  Yippee!  Tamara

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2012

Tam - you are an animal :) You are the poster child being super fit & slim and getting awesome results. Glad to hear you are doing so well. karen

Another locals place is Stanleys right off Lafayette Sq ? in the quarter, loooks like a diner. 

• Jane123
    edited May 2012

Thanks, Karen.  I just like to move.   I hope stage 2 results go as well...    Are you up for a leisurely stroll &/or coffee or Jamba before school lets out?  Peace, Tam

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2012

Need 2 and Jane - are you both in Idaho? I spent a good part of my growing up years there.

• Jane123
    edited May 2012

Nordy,  Yes.  Neat, where did you live?

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited May 2012

Hello all !- I have been home from NOLA for 3 days now after hip flap/revisions/corrections and I am doing great.  I did great after 11 hour surgery in NOLA too!  I must be getting use to this!  LOL!  My only problem is that I am wearing the girdle with the open crotch and was use to wearing it with a pj top only on and would just have to squat and pee.  Now I am wearing black bike shorts over them and I forget I have the shorts on and forget to pull them down and pee on myself!  Did that twice now!  Glad I was home for clean up!

Everyone Have A Great And Safe Memorial Weekend!!  Geralyn 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2012

Geralyn-  Ha!  I did that once and laughed my ass off!  Also glad I was at home.  (c:

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Geralyn, I think we've all done that!

I'm two weeks from my revisions today so I tried going without the compression garments this morning. I was ok sitting at my desk for a couple hours, but as soon as I got up and started moving around I felt pain in my lipo areas - hips, thighs. I assume this is pretty normal? I'm back in the dom now. It was nice while it lasted...  

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited May 2012

I found I had to taper off the compression garments.  Try going without at night first, then go without a couple hours before bedtime or in the morning, etc. 

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2012

Ok, here's a weird question for you... We're thinking of renting a recliner for me to sleep and rest in. (and keep in mind I'm DIEP and hip.)...

But where should I put it? Upstairs in my bedroom (where we have no bathroom), but it's private and quite. OR downstairs in living room, less quite, but near bathroom and computer/TV. I guess I'm wondering if I'll be in the chair a lot for the first couple of weeks - or will I be up walking around, sitting/resting on the couch, etc. Given my weird home design, what would you do?

• Nordy
    edited May 2012

Jen, I would out it wherever you will be more comfortable. You will be up moving around, and the docs want you walking. Stairs were not an issue for me, but I only had hip flaps. Maybe Spring or Betsy could tell you on the stacked flaps! You will do great!

• Nordy
    edited May 2012

Oh, yeah, I forgot to answer: Twin Falls.

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

I rented a recliner too. We put ours downstairs in the family room. It was nice for watching TV and not feeling hidden away. Going upstairs to shower was not a problem - even on the first day home. But it WAS a good thing we have a powder room downstairs for middle of the night trips to pee. I not only was a little more sore and tottery at those times, but also didn't want to disturb my husband's sleep. (Our upstairs bathroom is through the bedroom.) I am SO glad I rented that recliner. I slept in it a full month after getting home and was sorry to see it go. It was hard to get comfortable on my back in bed afterwards and even though they say sleep on back only for the first four weeks, I found I couldn't sleep on my side until after the hip drains came out at six weeks. I did not rent the recliner after stage two. The sofa with a bunch of extra pillows was fine for the first few days and then bed. 

• Jane123
    edited May 2012

Hey Jen,  For my DIEP + hips, I had the recliner downstairs and think that being near a restroom is important.  I would have found it challenging to have to navigate stairs in the middle of the night to use the restroom. For me, there was no "rushing" to the restroom - I was slow going at first.  I also noticed that I did not have a good sense of when my bladder was full, maybe due to the local pain meds or the much tighter abdomen.  I also continued with commando-garment & scrubs so it was logistically easier to go.  Nearly my entire waist line was numb so it was impossible to feel underwear.  

We have a master bed/bathroom upstairs but I still opted to be downstairs and more in the action.  I also found the couch to be too deep to sit in comfortably (again, I am a pillow idiot or maybe just so short that my feet dangle in chairs!) so I usually spent my time in the recliner at varying degrees or in a hard backed kitchen chair trying to eat protein-rich foods.    

Definately have some meals frozen ahead and accept offers from friends for meals.  Nice to have the help and the company.  Keep asking questions...  

Nordy, Did you get away to hike in the Sawtooths?   Peace, Tamara

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2012

Thank you so much, Eva, Nordy and Tamara! This is so helpful. We're going to put the recliner in the living room so I can be among the action and closer to our bathroom!

So many emotions, so many thoughts with just 5 days before surgery. You are ALL my inspiration!!!

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Jen... I have a recliner in my basement... (we already owned it) and at first I would spend my days resting on the sofa in our family room and slept in the basement... (no bathroom down there) and once I bought a new bed (my old one was uncomfortable) I started sleeping in the bed.

Idaho ladies.. I will be in Hailey this summer.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2012

Nordy - we both live in Boise. We moved to Sun Valley in 1998 and down to Boise in 2005. Jane123 & live a few miles from each other. She is the one I flashed in the bathroom of Jamba Juice!

Jane123- Tam - I am back to work next week so would love to do a Monday or Thursday meet.

Jenlee - I did not have the DIEP but when I had my stomach operated on I slept in my recliner for 3 weeks. Being close to the bathroom is key.

Geralyn - be glad you had an excuse and din't just pee on yourself :) glad you are home and doing well. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2012

Ski2, I had 38C - nobody local thought I could get even 2 A cups. At NOLA I had the stacked procedure (as Betsy says, now called the Body Lift) and I am now 38C. Similar to what Jane123 said. Lots of us. It works.... When you send your photo in they will be able to suggest a surgery. When you go in for consult, and they see you in person before surgery, that can sometimes change. I've personally been very impressed at how well they can tell just from pics...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2012

Upcoming surgeries!

May 30 - Esmerelda -  BMX with immediate DIEP and Hips reconstruction, Dr. Dellacroce and Dr. Stollier. 

June 1 - Chellehump (Michelle) - Stage 1 MX and GAP recon with Dr. Stollier and Dr. D. NOLA.

June 5 - JenLee - Stage 1 BMX and DIEP with Dr's Sullivan & Stollier. 

June 5 - KSue - Stage 1 bilateral mastectomy and hip flap reconstruction with Dr. D. and Dr. Stolier  

All, I will be on a business trip and gone for almost 2 weeks between May29 and June 9. I am unsure if I will have internet connection in my hotel room for free (NYC). the website says it's 14.95 a day! Which seems criminal to me, and a bit unreal, so I hope it's not true. But if this is the case, I won't be logging on much during that time. I'll post and let you know for sure what my status is... 

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2012

Hey, all.  It is scary to see our surgeries coming so soon!  It feels like time is flying to me.  Slow it down!

I am a young grandmother and spend lots of time with my 17 month year old granddaughter.  One of the worst things about this surgery is I will not be able to keep her.  When she is with me, I always pick her up.  This will be the longest I have ever gone without seeing her - already going through baby withdrawals! For those of you who have had this surgery with little ones, how soon after the weight restriction could you lift your little ones?  I am worried about her coming to visit and not understanding that I can't pick her up.  Will I even be up to playing on the floor with her?  With the drains, will she be able to sit on my lap or next to me? 

I have the proofs from my boudoir session.  My husband was out of town when I scheduled the shoot so he was really surprised!  Pretty cool. 

• Nordy
    edited May 2012

KSue - I had a one year old and a 4 year old when I had my surgery. I would spend some time explaining to her as best you can that you are going to have surgery and have some "ouwies" (seriously, is that how you spell it? Whoever had to spell it?? LOL!) for a while. Let her know ahead of time that you won't be able to pick her up but that she can sit next to you on the couch or the chair and even lay next to you on the bed. Let her know that she will have to be extra gentle with grandma and that you know she can do it and be a big helper! Although my youngest one was little - she understood a lot. And she was really gentle with me! I think it will be a lot easier if she is prepared ahead of time. I don't remember at what point I started lifting my daughter... but I didn't want to mess anything up, so I think it was a least 6 weeks, maybe a tad longer! You will be great - and so will she!

• Nordy
    edited May 2012

Need2 and Jane - I love Boise. I may come through there during the summer!

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Hi, all, I seem to have a small section of incision that's gapping open. It's right at the bottom of my right breast maybe a quarter inch long. It's not inflamed or leaking anything. I've dabbed it with betadine and still have a pad on it, though I did sleep last night with all the compression garments off for the first time. (I only noticed the gap this morning.) Is this something I need to mention to the center?

Sleeping uncompressed was not that comfortable. But sleeping compressed isn't that comfortable either. I'm not sure which way to go yet.  

To wear my compression or not
    Is a topic that's currently hot
    I chafe and I itch
    Or I ache like a b*tch
    All I want is a comfortable spot 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2012

Eva, just a thought.. Make certain that your compression garment is not putting any pressure on the area in question. When you move around it MAY be chafing that area.Putting an AB pad between the garment and your incision line would help with that :)

Warmly,

Marcia

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Thanks, Marcia. I hadn't thought of that. I am still using ABD pads under the bra, but I've also got the girdle zipped all the way up and the top of it overlaps onto the bottom of my breasts. I just undid the top hook and folded it down.