Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2012

Hi Ladies, I'm back. 

Thanks for all the condolences on the loss of my Mom. She was a great lady and I miss her a lot. I am talking to her up in heaven, hoping she can hear me, I hope this is not too bizarro!

Betsy, thank you for being a constant presence here always, but especailly in the time I was "away". You rock!

To Betsy and JannelleG, you both PM'd me your dates, and I have added them above. I went through all the pages and didn't see other dates but I may have missed some, I fear! IF YOU NEED A DATE ENTERED LET ME KNOW!!!

Ralston, do you want your July 18 surgery added to this list? (PM me would be the best way to make sure I don't miss it.) I wouldn't worry about the WBC. I think mine was about that low when I had surgery post chemo. Also, I think it's more the RBC that they care about. If that is low and you have a long surgery, they may want to give you a blood transfusion. I had 2 units. Freaked me out a bit, but everybody says the blood supply is safer now than ever. (I hope that is true!)

Nordy, I didn't catch all of it, but it seems you are training for an iron woman event???? You so rock girl!! I am one who believes that vigerous exercise helps prevent recurrence. I didn't get a chance to exercise much while I was away after Mom passed, but tonight I went to Yoga and tomorrow there is a bike ride with my name on it! After work!

Sandy, I just wanted to say, I have never heard of someone being too thin at the center. But I think the issue is, if you want really big boobs (the implants you mention) and you have very little body fat, then that is the issue. Some women use their own tissue and have a smallish implant. For new comers here, generally, most women, even athletic types, they can find enough fat somewhere. I had stacked DIEP and GAP (what they now call the "body lift") because I didn't have fat in the right places and my natural boobs were 38 C, so on the large side. But Dr. D. Did it!

Love to all you brave, gorgeous, warrior women!  

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Chelle, yay for getting drains out. I had mine removed today too. I got out a bit today but it is exhausting, so I just do a little at a time.

Janelle, they usually discharge you from the hospital with one. They are nice during warm weather, mine velcros down the front so easy and soft.

• cascader
    edited June 2012

Also Chelle, how is the swelling and circulation?

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

Hey cascader, thanks it's nice to not have that tube running from the top and I will be super excites when I eventually lose the hip drains...:-)

The circulation is still an issue, but the swelling has gotten better. Right now my feet are like ice cubes. I think it'll all work itself out. As Jeanine told me this morning, I am only 1 1/2 weeks out.

Thank you for asking!!!!

• Dana25
    Dana25 Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2012

So excited for all the ladies heading to NOLA!! I am counting down the days to start packing. Looking forward to having a couple of days in NOLA with the hubby before surgery. So how hot and humid is it?? I need a couple of days of fun before surgery..any suggestions??

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Jannelle.. to the best of my knowledge, NOLA doesn't give out camisoles... I have had three surgeries there and never gotten one... anyone get one??

Beverly... glad to have you back. We missed you :)

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Jannelle.. to the best of my knowledge, NOLA doesn't give out camisoles... I have had three surgeries there and never gotten one... anyone get one??

Beverly... glad to have you back. We missed you :)

• cascader
    edited June 2012

Re. Camisoles... Sorry, I am in CHS, everyplace is different. But thanks for letting me on this thread, so much great info and wonderful women!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2012

About the camisoles for drains--

I have Amoena brand camis that are super soft smooth cotton.  The model number is  2105.  (88% cotton, 12% Lycra Spandex)

It comes with 2 pockets w/velcro.  I had six drains, so I added a pocket from my other cami, and then two drains easily fit into one pocket.

My insurance paid 100% for these.  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2012

Spring... Lol! No Iron woman for me! I just did a sprint tri on Saturday. That is plenty. I was tempted to do the half Ironman Beach to Battleship when my hubby does the full, but I don't think we can swing the funds for us both to do it. SO, maybe next year... And I have missed you! Lots of hugs to you and your family - especially to your sweet dad.

I have a couple of those amoena camis. One is a medium... I think the other is a large. I am only finding two of the velcro pockets (I think there should be 4 total -2 a piece). I am willing to ship if someone thinks they would use these. Just PM me!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Isn't there something called Pink Pockets or something like that that are JUST the velcro pockets and can be put on any piece of clothing?? May be a cheaper alternative.

Just googled it... http://pink-pockets.com/en/buy-now/ 

5 for $20, 3 for $15

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited June 2012

I used the pink pockets for BMX -- I put them inside 2 pajama tops and 2 button-front blouses. They were handy at the time, but they do ruin the clothing. The adhesive stays on when you remove the pocket and sticks to itself in the dryer, making a mess. I recommend them if you don't care what happens to the clothing afterwards.

I also have the Amoena cami 2105, which was useful occasionally post-op. It seemed awkward to lift it up to access the drain pockets, but it hid them well for going out. Because the cami doesn't open in the front, I didn't use it for the many PS appointments to have TE fills. I'll probably take it to NOLA for my DIEP next month, just in case.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2012

I found that a large safety pin worked well too. Each drain has a loop you can pass it through and then pin it to anything. I pinned them to my compression girdle at waist level and then tucked the bulbs into the top of my stretch pants for a relatively smooth look.

BTW, I wrote a story about my experience and submitted it to Chicken Soup for the Soul. I'll let you know if they accept it. But you can also read it on my blog: http://evamoon.net/blog/2012/06/13/take-two-limericks-and-call-me-in-the-morning/

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2012

Anniese....enjoyed meeting you as well.  I fly in on the 18th, staying at Hope Lodge.  Pre-op stuff the 19th.  Will ask about visiting. I'm staying at the Homewood Suites post-op.  

LAstar hope to see you too!

Downey....Good luck girl, see you soon!

Janelle...I'll just miss you. My post-op check up is the 29th and flying home the 28th.  Well wishes to you! 

My care taker is not coming in until the 25th so ya'll please come visit, I'll be lonely! 

Good luck to all the June reconstructions!  

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited June 2012

Downey-  Healing vibes.  Big hugs.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2012

It is going to be a party in Nola next week!!!

Glostagirl, I will be thinking about you. This is the one to work for you, I just know it! I am sending positive vibes, prayers, chants and anything else I can conjur up for success and a rapid recovery. You will do great!

About the drains... I really just used the drain belt they supplied me with and had no issues. But of course, we are all different. My issue with anything velcro is that I always end up getting something stuck to my sleeve. When you spend $70+ out of pocket for a compression sleeve, it is super irritating to have something with velcro catch onto it and ruin it. Makes it really hard to find purses (definitely have to go for quality there) and back packs for my kids that are sans velcro! Maybe because the Amoana camis had the drain pockets inside of them and had the other hook and loop type of material sewn right into it, I didn't find the pockets to catch on anything... but I only used those camis for my mastectomies (which were separate from my hip flaps). For me, there would have been too much clothing with the compression garment, surgical bra and regular clothing. The last thing I wanted to do was add another layer of clothing. But that is just me. Everyone is different, and had it been in the dead of winter rather than August, I may have felt differently!

Anniese - I wish I was there with you!!! Stage 1 seems like a long time ago! You, of course, will do great!

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2012

Downy - thinking of you today!

Glostagirl - I hope your pre-op on the 19th will be early enough to stop by and visit before I get released from the hospital that day!  Would love to see you again.  I am hopeful that this time things will work out perfectly for you!

Nordy - geez, girl!  Can you believe it's been almost three years since stage 1?  It seems like forever ago and yesterday at the same time.  Wish you were going to be there next week! 

Amym159, SallyM & LAstar - my thoughts are with each of you as you are getting ready!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

I also did not wear a cami... and also had a July/August surgery so wanted to avoid any extra layers... So I used thei kangaroo pouch for bedtime, and an over the shoulder bag for daytime... it worked, was free and didn't ruin anything.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Hey everyone - just had my last drain removed today! Wow! It's surreal to have nothing hanging off of me. My belly scar looks amazingly good. I can see areas where the scar line is pencil thin (obviously there are other areas, like nearer to my hips, where this is not the case) - I'm amazed at Dr. D's skills! My general practitioner took one look at me today (two weeks post-op) and said he has never seen reconstruction that good! I think he was pretty stunned. all you ladies with upcoming surgeries - I hope that calms your nerves.

Chelle and Ksue - it sounds like you are both turning the corner. That's wonderful to hear! I had to move from ibuprofen to Tylenol as of yesterday because we are undergoing fertility preservation (oh, the gifts of bc! Ha!) and I've noticed my pain is a little worse, but I think bearable.

What else...I'm standing up much straighter, but when I catch a glimpse of my profile in the mirror I'm shocked to see how hunched over I still am! It's all so weird. I should hear about my on oncotest score next week... Trying to brace myself for the news about whether i will be doing chemo or not. Ugh.

All you ladies who have upcoming procedures - great luck and great thoughts and prayers to you all. It will be great to read your recovery reports very soon!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2012

Wow, lots of NOLA action coming up! Have we heard at all from Downey? Good luck tomorrow Amy! (We need a shoe report!) hahaha.

June 14 - Downey30 - Stage 1B with Dr. Massey

June 15 - Anym159 - Stage 2B, Dr. D.

June 18 - Anniese - Stage 2D (or 3B?), Dr. M, NOLA.

June 18 - SallyM - Stage 2b (revisions), NOLA.

June 19 - Lastar - BMX with Dr. Stolier and hip flap reconstruction with Dr. DellaCroce in NOLA

June 20 - Glostagirl - Stage 1 Stacked DIEP, Dr. M & Dr. S, NOLA.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

Glostagirl,      Like Nordy said, this is the one for success!!!  I wish you a safe trip, and a quick, speedy recovery!!  How is that leg???  I have been working 40 hours a week here lately to ensure I have covered the required hours needed for a paid FMLA.  I think it's about to kill me!!  I'm almost hoping to never have to work again!  I leave for NOLA on July 2nd w/ pre-ops on the 3rd then surgery on the 5th.  I will be thinking of you!!!  Let us know how you are doing!!!

As my date draws closer, I am getting a bit nervous!  I really don't know if I have the type of cloths (especially Pants) that I will need.  It's going to be so hot and humid-what can you all recommend???  I have many capri's but I don't think they will have room for drains--suggestions???

Dana,  I will see you there-I believe you are a day or 2 ahead of me!  The countdown is on!!!

If any of you have last minute suggestions I would certainly appreciate it!!

Katiejane

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

Has anyone worn a shirtdress with hip drains?  I picked up a loose shirtdress at Goodwill (which turned out to be 80's shirtdress heaven) with the thought that the button-up aspect might work, but perhaps I underestimate the bulk of the drains.  I also found a couple of big baggy button-up linen shirts and have one of my husband's shirts.  As an Alabama native, I'm planning any feeble excursions in the morning or evening and afternoon naps in the A/C!  

• cascader
    edited June 2012

Katiejane, I am wearing old navy skirts that are soft tshirt like material and have roll over waists kind of like a yoga pant. They flair slightly and work perfectly for me. I easily tuck the drains into the waistband. I bought 3 different colors , love them In this heat and look cute too!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

KatieJane... I brought knee length lounge shorts.... very soft and baggy from Target.

http://www.target.com/p/gilligan-omalley-womens-fluid-knit-bermuda-assorted-styles-colors/-/A-13899174?reco=Rec|pdp|13899174|PopularProductsInCategory|search_page.banner_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|PopularProductsInCategory|search_page.banner_1

$15

• Katiejane
    edited June 2012

bdavis,  Did you wear these when you went out for dinner,etc?  They look really comfy!  Did you find they ran true to size?  Did you go up a size to allow for drain space?  So many questions!!

Thanks!!!  katiejane

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

I generally wear a medium, and bought medium.. I wore them EVERYWHERE.. in the hotel, out to dinner, on the plane. They easily fit over the girdle and they are very soft and comfy. I think I own 2-3 pair (black and charcoal)

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2012

I just wanted to say that I have more cleavage and larger breasts now than before.   My DIEP breasts have become very soft over time, so they pretty much do as they are told without pushing back. Laughing

harmonysun, I'm sorry you are having to deal with anxiety over the nodule, and I hope that it's just a harmless nothing.  Glad that it's being checked out thoroughly though---when will they do the ultrasound?

• Katiejane
    edited June 2012

bdavis,    Thank you!!!  I will be ordering a couple of pairs!!   katiejane

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2012

bdavis & katiejane,

I have those same capris from Target, and very soft, light weight, and comfy.

The amoeno camis I never took off when at doctors appt or PT sessions.  I would slide off my shoulder and arm, and let it sit at my waist. 

Also, the black cami I would wear it alone in the house and yard, and then put on an open front top/blouse over it, or a short sleeve shrug over cami. My teenage DD wears camis with all kinds of tops, but lucky for her not for drain camouflage and comfort.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited June 2012

Ha!  I forgot about the shoe thing!  The best of luck, peace and healing tomorrow Amy.

Thinking of you Jamie.