Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

Downey, sending you healing thoughts.

Anym, good luck tomorrow.

Esmeralda, crossing my fingers for you for no chemo!

Cider8, so glad we got to meet on my last night.

Katiejane, I traveled to Nola with several pairs of capris that I considered to be "fat" pants that were really baggy. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but between the swelling & fluid retention from surgery plus the drains, there,was no way those pants would fit. I was happy that I had gotten a few stretchy skirts from Target (like cascader's old navy skirts) and had a few pair of shorts and capris like Bdavis mentioned, clothing that was really comfortable and forgiving.

LAstar, I found that anything fitting closely makes me look pregnant with the drains. I'm not a heavy person, but couldn't have carried off a shirt dress. A tank top with a lightweight shirt worn like a jacket or a short sleeve hoodie works well and helps conceal drains. Some days I did drains in shoulder bag like Bdavis said. I have one remaining drain on my hip and it's still a pain in the neck to hide. And I agree, the evening was much easier to deal with the heat. I did most of my walking inside, lots of walks up and down the hotel corridors.

I rented a reclining lift chair and I LOVE sleeping in it! I'm a stomach sleeper, so this prevents me from turning over and allows me to elevate my upper body as recommended, as well as my swollen feet. I wasn't great at managing the nest of pillows on the bed. The chair is upstairs in the bedroom; I've been very mobile since about the 2nd day home and sit in regular chairs when downstairs.

One thing I might add to the list... In anticipation of the drains, etc. I bought several packages of inexpensive silky fabric underwear that were several sizes too large, thinking they would fit over a girdle. Turned out that Dr S doesnt have his patients wear garments or binders until drains are out. So I've been wearing these "granny panties" that are SO comfy, sit above the incision lines and pads/bandages, clothing slips off & on easily, and i don't worry about ruining them with any drainage or betadine. My pre-surgery bikini undies would not have worked!

If I recall correctly, tlcdirect.org has a comfy looking cami that closes in the front with velcro. But I woke up wearing a surgical bra and need to wear them for a few weeks I think. They're front closure, black color and don't show any stains from betadine & ointments and aren't too bad looking.

Also wanted to mention that I'm sort of average size (usually about an eight) but any extra weight normally is distributed very evenly, so that there isn't much excess anywhere. I was turned away from UCLA and UCI for not having enough fat to make more than one B-cup sized breast. I was absolutely terrified when Dr Sullivan said he could do it; I thought I'd never stand upright again because the skin on my tummy was stretched beyond tight when I woke up, worried that I might have made a HUGE mistake! Just over a week later and I'm standing close to straight up. Each morning I'm tight again, but by the end of each day a little more upright.

• Starfyre
    Starfyre Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2012

Just found out HarmonySun and I are both having Dr. S at Fairway at 7am.  He is going to operate on us both going back and forth.  That makes me feel very uncomfortable.  Has anyone else had this experience?  I am feeling very uneasy.  I leave for dance camp and out of cell phone/internet coverage for 9 days and then leave for NOLA the day after I get back.  I can't sleep cuz I am so uneasy.  Thinking of cancelling.  I will call the center tomorrow and check it out.   I did so much to set this up and I am traveling so far.  I am feeling very worried.  

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited June 2012

Jannelle - Please try hard not to let this worry you.  I know it sounds very odd and unsettling to think of the docs running back and forth between patients, but believe me, they do it ALL THE TIME!  Everything is incredibly well planned out - think coreography!  Really, it is like a dance that they do - back and forth between surgical suites and working together with other surgeons, assistants, etc.  It is an everyday occurence.  In a way, I wish that from the very beginning they would eplain all this to the patients, so that they have time to adjust to that idea, because as I said, it is very unsettling.  But for the docs, it is all a matter of timing.  Remember, not only are these doctors the best at what they do, but they would never, ever want to endanger a patient or risk their reputations or that of the practice. If it was dangerous in any way, they wouldn't do it.

Hope this helps, and you don't feel you have to cancel for that reason alone.  I see you are in CA - I am over in London now, though I am usually an east coast girl.  So I hope you catch this post and are able to fall asleep tonight! 

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2012

janelle...i sent you a pm

thanks for that reply and encouragement Amy, funny that janelle and i are both up at 330 in the morn....i know for me, lots on my mind and better to get up and do some things instead of tossing and turning...

...it was a lil of a shock to find that we are both scheduled at fairway june 29 at 7 in the morning!...i have dr massey as the main surgeon tho and janelle has another....when i called, they said dr trahan will be stepping in while dr sullivan is with janelle....was def unsettling at first, but after reading some of the comments here, i know it will be fine....i guess a few here have had dr trahan?

but it will be nice to be there with janelle, as everyone else is mostly at the big center and we'll be across the bridge at fairway.....

• Starfyre
    edited June 2012

Thanks Amy.  That does help.  

Getting new information so late at night (1am) right before leaving for a big trip is very disturbing.  I will call the center tomorrow morning and ask who my other doctor is and what the procedure will be.  I am not good at surprises with this sort of thing.  I like knowing what is going to happen so I can get behind it 100% and trust the process.   

• Starfyre
    edited June 2012

Brenda, it will be nice to be over there at Fairway with you too.  Maybe we will even share an operating room.  Save the doctors running back and forth. Smile

I will try and relax and trust the process.   They are great doctors, have a great reputation, and it will be okay. 

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2012

janelle, it will be fine....everyone here is completely behind these docs....the funny thing is, a while back when they were trying to get dr sullivan scheduled, i had joked around with them that they better make sure he commits because i didnt want them calling the temp agency the morning of the surgery looking for a cosurgeon!...LOL!..:))

Adey and Eva, very funny bout them pushing back!...wow, breasts that stand up for themselves....

Eva, great advice about the probiotics...i eat really healthy...in fact will be sending my sister on a hunt for a wholefoods type store while there....

Betsy, thanks so much for all the answers, you are so helpful....def thinking bout the pink pockets...how did you wear a bag around your neck with the drains?....

Cascader, wow, just a week out, how are you doing?

Sandy, thank you so much for the reply, and support bout the nodule thing....yeah, that is something that really wasnt expected at this time, going for ultrasound endoscopy tues, kinda lil freaked about it, but have to just deal with whatever it is and hopefully will just be a nonissue....

I am so very very appreciative about all the help advice support from everyone....love reading everyones thoughts on everything from drains to how to sleep etc....no one else gets all this stuff....

.....hope all you gals here are waking up to a good day.....i have 2 girls ages 7 and 9 and everyday we say "happy new day".....it started way back when they were little after new years day and they kept saying happy new years after it had passed, and i said, no, now it's happy new day.....

......~peace n' smiles.....brenda..:))

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2012

I had a dream last night, one of those vivid dreams that seem so real.  In the dream I woke up in my own bed, looked down and there was a nice, soft, warm, boobie where now there's just an indentation and ugly scar.  Oh my goodness, I hope it's a good omen.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2012

Hello all, I've been out of the loop for a bit because this third chemo kind of kicked my tail. Feeling better now and gearing up for the LAST treatment on June 25. Whew!!

I changed my surgery date from August 15 to August 1 with Dr. D, but I have no idea who will be helping him. The earlier date just works better for my family, and now I will be home for my daughter's 16th birthday. I just cannot wait to get this behind me!! Plane tickets bought, hotels reserved, foot tapping impatiently waiting!

I am dreading the compression garments in the dregs of summer. When I had my DIEP in March, my local ps did not have me wear any compression anywhere. My belly scar has healed wonderfully....the scar is so thin I cannot feel it at all when I touch it, and it is a nice light pink. I am shocked at how good it looks after such a short time. I hope that is a good sign that these next ones will heal as nicely!!

I didn't have my foobs long enough to figure out how they looked. (Ilost one immediately after surgery and the second 10 days later.) The one I had for 10 days was not attractive, though. It was like my entire breast was under my armpit, with very little forward projection. Not sure what to expect this time....I hear you all rave over how pleased you are with the results, so I'm trying to think positive and not panic. Anything has to be better than the deformity I have now, right?!?

Happy healing to all the recent surgeries!! Anyone heard from Downey? She's a fellow North Carolina gal!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2012

Diane, you will be delighted with the shape of your new breasts from the get go. The docs are more concerned with the flap surviving than a perfect shape, but they also want to shape the flap in such a manner that they can get the best shape possible at stage 2 (or whatever the plan is).

Glostagirl, there is going to be a day soon where you wake up peacefully, with no pain, and it will occur to you that your dream came true.

Brenda, I love the 'happy new day.'

Jenlee, it was so wonderful to meet you as well. I love hearing how well you are doing.

Janelle, it will be a morning of surgical symphony! You have to understand that our docs support each other for the benefit of the patient. Our docs are not territorial in the sense that the primary is the only one in the OR. There was a question about this on Dr D's Q/A site. The primary doc is the one to harvest the flaps, so the assisting doc is the one to prepare the chest wall. And the assisting doc is there just to do his part, not to try to tell the primary what to do. I think Dr D said they do not behave as if there are too many cooks in the kitchen. So, in your case, Dr L will start on your mx and Dr S will start on your belly. At the same time, Dr M will be working on harmony's backside. Sgap is a longer surgery than DIEP due to the flipping of the body. It is possible DrS will be finished with you before he even starts to assist Dr M! I had Dr T as the assisting doc. I have never met him. The assisting doc cannot get started until the mx is complete. There is some time during the mx that pathology needs to be performed.

I find it interesting that some initially find the 'roaming' disconcerting, but I found it to be delightful that the docs work so well together. Understanding the process helps a great deal, though.

Love you ladies!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

jenlee -- did you have trouble getting a tank top on?  I was assuming I could only wear button-up shirts.  

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

Good afternoon ladies. Had a rough night (just uncomfortable) and today my body aches more than it has in days. When I took the ABD pad off my right breast to take a shower, a part under the nipple started to bleed and I noticed part if the incision had opened a tad but had some yellow "goop" on it. Called the center and sent pics to Laura and she gave me instructions on what to do and swore it didn't look infected and it will heal.

It's only 2 pm and I'm already drained mentally and physically. So I think I will take a nap here shortly and believe tomorrow will be a better day :-)

Hope Downey is doing well. Haven't seen anything yet. Healing vibes and best wishes to all those coming up soon.

Just a side note, I was praising our docs to a friend of mine who is just starting her journey but is addiment about not wanting implants. I told her there are more options out there than what's offered here.

Hugs to you all!!!

Chelle

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Oh gosh, Michelle, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. I had one breast incision open up a little and it did close up on its own, just like Dr. T said it would. But it sure was worrying at the time. Definitely take naps. You're just two weeks out and actually ahead of the curve on feeling crappy. Three weeks is a low point for a lot of us. You must be a prodigy to be there already at two!

Anyone hear from Caitlin recently? I hope she's doing all right.

For those of you going into phase two, I've realized one thing I wish I'd done before surgery: take my measurements. My hips and waist look thinner in the mirror, but my clothes fit about the same. My thighs still seem really puffy but I don't know if they are the same size as before, bigger from swelling or thinner but they just look fatter because my hips are slimmer. If I'd taken measurements beforehand I'd have a more objective way of gauging my progress.

It's five weeks out for me today and I feel quite well, though my body lift incision tends to get really itchy later in the day. The last stitches finally worked their way out today. Yay! PT is going well - she's breaking up lots of adhesions and between that and stretching I'm getting a lot of my flexibility back. 

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

I posted this on the CHS thread but so much more active over here. . How long after sgap will I have a better idea of what I will look like and how long dioes it take to soften?Right now the recon side has a nice shape but is higher and quite firm. I know it is too early and stage 2 is for fixing, but just wondering how others felt after stage 1?? I am a uni so know that symetry(sp?) is difficult.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Brenda... I wore the bag over my shouldler across the chest (left shoulder, right hip)

jannelle... It looks like you are having a MX and Brenda is not, so you will start with the BS for a couple of hours... then Dr S will come in... 

Cascader... I was bilateral... but the butt is quite misshaped until stage II... very flat. But at stage II they do a lift and things improve immediately. So I wouldn't look for good results on teh butt until after stage II.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

LAstar, I brought some loose tank tops that I could step into. One day, I accidentally started putting it on over my head. I was about to stop, but realized I could do it without lifting my arms up much at all since the tops were loose.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Thanks bdavis. Does the breast "drop" at all as it softens? Doc said wont really know results of breast until about 3 mths. Was that your experience?

Or does it stay as it looks now?
  • bdavis
    edited June 2012

My GAP breast took forever to soften.. I had stage II at 4 months and it was still quite firm... In retrospect, I wish I had waited longer for stage II as I now need a stage IIb... And my breast did not DROP... as a matter of fact, it was LIFTED at stage II...

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2012

Hi everyone,  thanks for all of your good wishes.  I ended up having stacked flaps on each breast.  Still having trouble typing.  I'll write again soon.  Jamie

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

YAY JAMIE!!!!!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

Thanks Eva. It was odd to see the blood on the ABD pad as it looked like it all happened overnight. I was home by myself too when all blood & goop was coming out, so it was a bit unnerving.

I'm hoping I'm not hitting the 3 week mark early and I'm just having an achy day.

I'm still thinking I'll have my stage 2 in September, but have thought a few times of postponing until

October. Just not sure yet.

Glad you are doing well Jamie!!!

Chelle

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited June 2012

HarmonySun- My husband and I vacationed in NOLA over the last few years and found myself on the search for a WholeFoods. There is one outside of the French Quarter.  It is about 15-20 min drive from there. Don't have the actual address but the good news is there is one in NOLA. We enjoyed some good southern food as well! Just had to treat ourselves! Its all about balance right? If you are an ice cream lover and like adventurous flavors we fell in love with Creole Creamery. 

• Dana25
    Dana25 Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2012

Katiejane...I will definitely see you there. I am coming in late Friday nite on 6/29 with preop appt on 7/2 and surgery on 7/3. I am also staying at Homewood Suites.

I talked with Dr. Massey's office today and they stated they have a full surgery schedule. Amazing how many women are coming up for surgery!! Dana

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

HI Dana!   Yes, I know they are packed!!!  I have all of my pre-op tests completed and just need my cardiologist to sign me off. I had my PET done yesterday and I'm really hoping that it is clear.  Otherwise, I'm ready!!!!!! Do you have everything done?  Have you secured your FMLA/short term disability?  It's a mixture of feelings-excitement, anxiety, and anticipation! WOW!!!

I don't land in NOLA until about 9:30 pm on the 2nd-sounds like your surgical date is my pre-op date! My surgical date is the 5th-we will both be at The Center at the same time so please come and look me up!! Have they set times for you pre-op and surgery?  I sure hope I have the right cloths,etc.  Oh, so much to worry about and it probably won't make any difference!!  LOL!!!   HUGS!  katiejane(kathy)

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2012

There is a whole foods about 8-10 minute drive SW of SCSH.  It's called Arabella Station Whole Foods Market and is at 5600 Magazine St.  # 504-899-9119

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2012

That Whole Foods also has a delivery service if you don't feel like trekking over to the store.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2012

Leaving in the AM for NOLA, I am both excited and anxious. I have been thru stage 2 or 3 times before and I just want my left breast to stay in my bra and not having to keep repositioning. I think I am more nervous because I dont have the complete support of my family and friends. Some are still thinking some boobs are better than none. And believe me I am not a perfectionist but just want to be comfortable. Does that sound crazy? I dont think so. Anniese please stop in and see me when you are there I see you are having revisions the same day. I  would love to meet you

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

I'm leaving for NOLA tomorrow too, SallyM!  You know better than your friends do what you can live with.  We just have to trust ourselves at this point that we've all made the right decisions for ourselves, but I can certainly understand some last-minute second guessing.  I keep wondering why I think I need reconstruction at all.  I have a 4-year old daughter -- why would I take this additional risk?  But then I remember that I am going to the best and that gives me a lot of peace.  I have seen some amazing results from NOLA and it makes me so happy to think that I can come out of this feeling whole and even thrilled.  Powerful!

• Dana25
    Dana25 Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2012

Hi Kathy, I have everything done on my end (thank goodness). Hit a little road block on Friday with my insurance authorizing out of network coverage at 25% and SCSH understanding the authorization codes but got that figured out quickly. Haven't heard anything from my HR department about FMLA yet. They make us take 40 hrs PTO first then they use extended sick leave to cover salary from what the California state disability pays. I haven't received my schedule for my preop/CTA yet. Yet again another authorization issue with the CTA since not performing it at my work hospital. Dr. M is very particular about performing the CTA at SCSH. Looking forward to meeting you!! Hugs Dana

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited June 2012

Good Luck next week to all the girls heading to NOLa - God speed !

Janelle - I am an operating room nurse and like the others said the docs coordinate. It is an efficient use of their time and yours. Believe in the process. This group of docs know what they are doing, have the anesthesia, nurses and surgicals tachs to support them. I would LOVE to work there but am not moving to NOLA :) Give it over and relax, it will work.

I wore dresses, cool and hid everything. Walmart has pretty empire waist type dresses right now for 9.88, Will fit all your stuff under. I used the puch they gave me or a big safety pin like Eva said.

Am almost 5 weeks post op and live in dresses, soft cotton cheap tanks from Old Navy, Walmart, Target.

I did buy a pair of pants from Target like Betsy siad, worked wonderful over the girdle. Bought a Pj top that looked like a shirt to go over and traveled in that.

Also used the a purse bag to hold drains when I got home.

Best of luck to all of you. K