Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Options

Comments

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited August 2009
    Options

Nordy honey I am SO sorry!  You know I feel your pain.  xoxoxo

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2009
    Options

Bump!

Girls-I'm doing some more shopping and planning and starting to think I might go w/ DIEP vs GAP today...but I still have time to change my mind a few more times?  what are you all up to?

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2009
    Options

Nordy - have you called Lanita and talked to her about this?  I would think they can get on this right away and get the information to you that you need - especially since your surgery is just under two weeks from now.  I've been a real pest regarding insurance cause I keep getting different information - just have to stay so on top of this stuff.  It sucks that it has to be this difficult!

Plainjane - time is finally flying by.  Up to now it seemed to crawl.  Now that I'm 11 days out I'm trying real hard not to think about it too much - don't want to stress myself out.  Going out this weekend to get a couple of capri style pj bottoms and some large mens t-shirts.  Trying to think of what I'll need to pack and then reminding myself to cut it in half because I won't need much.  Pretty sure my Stage II in December will be in Chicago and not New Orleans, but we'll see.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yes, I spoke to Lanita... it is not good. In fact, I may end up paying MORE than what my husband and I felt we could pay because our financial statement does not show that I am completely destitute. And I refuse to pad it up in an attempt to do just that. I believe in being honest when dealing with people and I guess if that means that I have to pay more because of it, then I guess I have to pay more. My first thought this morning when I found this out was that I just would not have surgery. I called and spoke to Lanita and I think I feel a little better, but I still won't know the full amount until insurance comes through... I am a bit scared, but Lanita tells me not to sweat it. My husband has been pretty supportive through all of this, even when I am starting to feel so defeated, and when it affects him too! Now I just need to pay some bills and get finances together so that nothing bounces when I get there! I just wish my insurance would have made an in-network exception. Other than that, it seems they have already sent out a new pre-authorization letter, so all should be a go with that. Somebody make the cancer after-math come to an end! Stop the ride, I want to get off!!!   Yell
  • Rachel_BC
    Rachel_BC Member Posts: 679
    edited August 2009
    Options

Just popped in to say how COOL it is that  you all  got together and made this thread.  Rock on Ladies.

All the best. 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited August 2009
    Options

I am on the books for Stage 2 in Chi Town for December, too!  Ok...4 weeks from today is my big day! Is it going to be pretty hot in NOLA? short sleeve only? or long sleeve for the evening? LOL..listen to me, I am acting like I will have this busy social life...ha ha ha

I do have a serious question for those that have journeyed ahead of us.....is the recovery same, harder or easier than a mastectomy?

• Nordy
    edited August 2009
    Options

Looks like the insurance company sent another pre-certification letter, so that part is taken care of. It is just hard re-setting my mind and wrapping it around the fact that what I thought would be in-network truly isn't. Ugh... I can't wait until surgery, then stage 2, then tatts, then be DONE!!! How nice will that be? 12 days and counting...

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

Warrior, according to my book the avge temp is 80(sept)..but more like 85-90 for august....I'd say go w/ the short sleeves and bring a jacket, rain jacket and umbrella...as those late summer storms pop up...maybe a local can chime in here...plus humidity....I'd dress for summer not fall-we rarely have that, until sometimes November. We'll still be in shorts in N TX. I think just be ready for rain and humidity and heat.  Where has the summer gone?  Thank goodness an end site!  Sorry never been a fan of TX summers! 

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    edited August 2009
    Options

Question for those of you who have already had DIEP. Did the tummy tuck part of the surgery change the size of pants that you wear?  My sister is asking for my pants LOL and I told her I wasn't at all sure that my pant size would decrease.

• Nordy
    edited August 2009
    Options

Sooooo... I have a wedding to attend this weekend and was trying on a dress - I changed my bra and threw my prosthetics on the floor, put on a different bra and the dress. Then I realized that the reason the dress looked so funny is that I forgot to put my boobs back in the bra! I think my mind is about 2 weeks ahead of my body! Soooooo looking forward to surgery and having a "normal" life!

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

OMG Nordy soon you'll be able to box those up for good!  You guys  I can't believe we're into double digit august!  Time ticks!

The mornings have been so nice here, almost a tease of my favorite season when we have it-Fall!

I am more than halfway thru "prepare for surgery Heal Faster"  Don't have the audio yet but I think I'm getting the jist(relaxing) and this will be helpful in the rest of life for me as I tend to be fairly high strung.  Also, Iove how she is profound in sort of using this healing experience to heal other areas of your life.  Listening to others, Parts of it sounded ? But the way she connects the studies-mind body connection-and the whole spiritual or inspirational portion make it very much a feel good read for me.

I figured out I have enough AA mileage for all my flights plus my friends and can use my points! Still haven't booked yet but probably will this week.  Also, just noticed yesterday the Mariott rate is 95/night w/ our discount.  I think I have a couple free nights thru their rewards card too and will earn another- so may go that route. 

Love to redeem these rewards esp as I head out the door for new tires and to pay tuition/books for a class! 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,808
    edited August 2009
    Options

I just got done registering my cards for reward miles on AA and Delta in preparation fof my October trip--nothing like those rewards to make life easier!

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi again

Thought I should let you all know I opened another piece of mail from Marriott rewards today:  visit MarriottRewards.com/welcomeBack - I signed up for this program at least 5 yrs ago and stay at  marriott when I get  deal...usually only for conferences, etc. So  I've collected  a few...BUT, apparently they now have NO black out periods AND if you stay 4 nights the 5th is free..  My letter says a second stay in a certain period; 8/15-11/30 earns a free night sooooo...I'm thinking for me one stay is sunday monday b/'4 surgery and the other is the 5 nights following dc= 1 or 2 free nights even tho we're already discounted thru the center......you just have to enroll as a rewards member.  No kickback here BUT  I believe-Generally you can't go wrong w/ Marriott and it's just been redone in NO.  Actually my entire last wkend was quite the value....they're VERY happy to have visitors/ us in NO was the general vibe....Make sure you check out their local magazine w/ the center's CEO featured as well as a full page ad for Dr's S and D and the center.  NO is very(rightfully so!) proud of them.  Anyhoo! wanted to share the hotel deal info! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi All!!

I was out of town at a Yoga Retreat at the Beach for BC survivors. It was HEAVENLY!!

I will go through later and update all the Stage 2 stuff, it seems many of us will be overlapping stage 2!!

Nordy. I have a friend (who was at this retreat with me) and she is doing Stage 1 GAP at NOLA 8/14. You will "overlap" with her. She will be at Southern Surgical in Slidell though, not at St. Charles Surgical. She's not staying locally in NOLA, but at a time share near by. I wonder if you two would like to hook up though at least via call phones? Let me know. PM me if you want me to giver her your number. She flys out tomorrow at like 6AM!!! 

All the rest of you, I just read really fast and will go back and make sure I know what's up with each of you later!! Being away for 4 days, then work yesterday, and trying to finish up everything before being out of work for Sept and Oct, I am going a bit kooky!!!! ahhhhhck!!!

Love love love,

Spring. (Beverly)

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello all you beauties and cuties!!!

I have gone through your updates and think I captured everything correclty above. Let me know if I need to update your specs!!

Jennifer Jane, so how are you leaning today? DIEP or GAP? :) Fill us in!!! Also, thanks for the "relax" advice. I think I may need drugs though to relax. I am starting to feel a bit freaked out!!! ahhhhck!!!

Minnesota, Topless on the beach!!! Woot!!! Now that is one hopefull image to hold!! :) Good for you girl!

Anniese, do I need to add your specs to our listing? let me know.

I'd also like to know, will my pants size change?? What OmahaGirl said!!!

Nordy, the story about your boobs on the floor had me rolling!!! LOL!!!! A more "normal" chest is just a few weeks away now!!!

All, wanted to second what someone earlier said about the Hotel Monteleone (I think Trisha). My rate went DOWN to $79.00 a night. Katie sent me a new statement. So NOLA is getting the cheaper rate as well. Just FYI!!! (This hotel is right in the French Quarter).

Trying to stay calm...

Spring (Beverly)

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2009
    Options

Spring - no need to add my specs to the list.  I just noticed that you were adding December Stage IIs to your September thread and thought I'd throw my date into the pot.  Since I'm not really a September recon I'll just wait until I see a December thread start and jump onto that.....thx.

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

I'm really thinking........what the heck!  I am not getting any younger.  No matter how many sit ups I do...Or if I ever get back to 17% body fat(yeah right!), I probably will not reach the level of flatness that our favorite PS can make for me...besides Celeste told me he'd 'lipo my hips and all' at stage 2 if I decided I wanted DIEP.  ALSO...the whole reality that I NEED to go back to work between 6-8 wks(God willing).  It's just seeming like a better long and short term option. 

Beverly I'm glad you had such a great time at the yoga retreat.

• Nordy
    edited August 2009
    Options

Jenn- If Dr. S tells me I have enough belly fat for DIEP when I get there, that is what I am going for... I just don't think he will. Plus, since I am delayed reconstruction, I need extra skin too. So... that just may not be an option for me. Let me know what you decide again tomorrow!!! LOL

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hah!  Ok.......this is ridiculous....hang up......pubic hair line going up......I've aready decided that is what laser-electrolysis is for( I fear the sasquwatch)......sorry girls........when I told my boss/nurse friends this yesterday they said they'd never thought of ......sorry....waaay TMI....off to work......will try to sneak on the net again later. 

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Jenn, does that really happen with the pubic line going up? Here I thought the belly skin was pulled DOWN there!!! If I was you, I'd do the DIEP. They don't have to turn you over during surgery, less complicated. That is my tid-bit for today!!! LOL...

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited August 2009
    Options

Just wait. If you're the least bit hairy on your donor site, you'll get that growing on your boob! My "football" areas have fine dark hairs now! I never realized my backside was so hairy!!! LOL! I see a bit of Nair in my future. But hey, hair growth means good blood supply. Let's you know you got a good flap!!

Anne

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hahahaha!  I have to shave my boobs...LOL!  I am hairy and had the lovely treasure trail on my belly that's now the bottom of my boobs!  If you have immediate recon, I don't think you have this as they don't have to use the belly skin.

After I am all healed, I will be getting laser hair removal for sure!  

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Anne, I don't need the skin, just the fat, I think I am safe! (But wow, WHO KNEW!!!)

• AnneW
    edited August 2009
    Options

Who knew, indeed. The surgeons don't warn you of the werewolf syndrome, but it wouldn't have stopped me...I'm withTrishia, there's a laser in my future!

Anne

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ok...I am confused here. lol For the DIEP, they remove your lower belly and then pull DOWN? Right?? or do they pull UP???  Never thought about it..just assumed its down like a tummy tuck!!

Also, how long is surgery for a stacked DIEP/GAP?

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ok yes, I guess technically,DIEP tummy tuck- it pulls the skin down...BUT... the lower portion of skin  pulls itself up? maybe a bit to met the incision line...if you look carefully at some of those pics I think the post DIEP shots were pre bikini wax, pre-laser. I was mortified when she took my pics because I hadn't waxed.  I'm still doing it tho...  

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

I will do the lazer then!!! Not that I am hanging out typically in bikini bottoms! lol.

Warrior, I don't know how long the surgery will be. I am thinking 8+ hours? I have an email into NOLA to ask several Questions, and that is one of them. I'll let you know if I hear back. I haven't called yet. (I find you typically need to do both).

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hey Spring and JenniferJane and my BC Peeps -  I have scheduled Hope Lodge from 9/13 thru 9/24,but I may go to a hotel after I get released from the hospital.  I am assuming that there are no TV's in the rooms at the lodge.  Does anyone know if there are TV's in the room at HOPE LODGE.  I will have withdrawal symptoms if I do not watch law and order nearly continuously while re-cooperating!  LOL.   But seriously, mindless TV is a must while taking meds.....I sure hope I get to meet some of you gals while I am there.  My DH will be with me........he's bringing his golf clubs........so I am thinking, that he is thinking, that he will be able to break away from the room for a bit!  LOL.  The days are flying by now!  I must admit I am getting quite nervous.  I was just thinking how weird it was going to be to come back into work with TA TA's again.  I've been free and flat for the last year.  I'm thinking of getting a T shirt printed that says "YES...THEY ARE SPECTACULAR!!!!" to wear my first day back, cause everyone knows what I am having done and it will be impossible for anyone to look me in the face on the first day back!!!! HA HA  Anyone old enough to remember the "They are Spectacular" episode of Seinfeld?? 

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Melanie!!! I absolutely LOVE IT!! The T-shirt idea with "YES THEY ARE SPECTACULAR!!" You are a RIOT!!! You Go Girl!  And you know what, they WILL BE SPECTACULAR!!! Woot!

Mel, I have even been to the Hope Lodge, and for the life of me, I can't remember if there are TV's in the room or not! I know we took a movie with us, and we watched it in the common area. But that does not necessarily mean there are no TVs in room. There must be, right? (Can somebody remember???) I would say Yes. 

Also, I updated your "specs" above with Hope Lodge. Mel, are you having GAP or DIEP? 

Spring (Beverly)

• AnneW
    edited August 2009
    Options

There are TVs in the rooms at Hope Lodge. At least in Charleston. I presume at all other places, too.