Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Options

Comments

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited August 2009
    Options

Plainjane...my dreams haven't started yet but they should start anyday..lol I have the same kind during major events too. Mine is usually missing my college classes..lol

Spring..where did you go on vacation? Welcome home!

Mel- Have a great "conference call"..wish I could join you all but I have a girls slumber party here tomorrow night..lol  make sure u girls keep me posted if there is any good info passed around..lol

Ginnie-Welcome..what hospital will u be at? I am St Charles from 9/4- 9/9! I know your journey is just starting but you are many steps ahead of most by doing NOLA! Hang in there..let me know if I can help in any way!

Happy- Welcome...Heard great things about Allen...we are all in great hands! I am staying at Homewood Suites after...do u have a surgery scheduled?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited August 2009
    Options

Warrior517 - I think I am going to be at the new St Charles Surgical Hospital -  Will get there right before you leave, so you can give me the "lowdown".  Consult on 9/8 and surgery on 9/10   I have talked to Liz, but haven't even gotten my "packet" yet....just got info over the phone. I feel very good about going to NOLA. 

• Warrior517
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ginnie...come visit me after your consult then!  I will tell you all about the new adventure we are on together...its going to be a great outcome! Btw..I am her2 and est positive too! PM me when you get a chance and let me know how you are holding up!

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Warrior,

I am scheduled for next Friday August 28th in New Orleans- Omega. I am having bilateral TUG (inner Thigh) Flap.  I am all set. I am glad that you heard good things about Dr Allen. He seems very nice and competent.

sorry to read about your failed implants. Are you all set? Now I am just thinking about the packing details!

• Warrior517
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Happy!

I also heard that the TUG has the SMOOTHEST and SOFEST skin ever!! Just another reason to smile at the right decision for you!

Where are you staying after surgery??  I am still busy making lists for my Mom , who comes in this Wed. I have three kids...8 11 and 14 that have everything from catechism to soccer. Do u have any kids??

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited August 2009
    Options

If I had TUG, I'd be shaving or lasering my boob! Skin may be soft, but also hairy!! My GAP has left me with downing (and darker) fuzz...time to try Nair!

Anne

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2009
    Options

LOL, Anne!! I had not thought of that :( Uh Oh! That could be freaky.

I am using a skin sparing surgeon. I really hope he does not need to use the thigh skin and just the tissue.

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ok, just looking for a little info.  I have also decided to go to NOLA but because I have to do radiation they are recommending skin sparing mx with immediate implant after rather than immediate diep which is what I was hoping for.  I was just wondering if anyone went to NOLA for the mx and then back for the reconstruction.  Liz gave me the impression that I should go to them for the skin sparing mx and I feel like that is probably the best option.  I don't even know if anyone in my area does the skin sparing mx anyway, just talked to Liz on Friday afternoon so haven't really had a chance to check that out yet. 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2009
    Options

Warrior,

Have fun at the slumber party!   bet there will be nail painting!  Did you get the shopping and meals made?  I went online shopping yesterday....hate the wkend crowds esp back to school tommorrow here and tax free.

Happy.......that s very interesting about your tug flaps...Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Hi Brenda!  Hey a Texan!  The VERY best person for you to talk w/ is Springtime.  she had a situation maybe similar to yours.  In that she had implants placed prior to rads and NOW she's done and going back for lumbar recon(similar to GAP).  She had her surgeries at NOLA w/ Dr.Dellacroce.  Send her a pm....she's still on vacation but she started this thread.  I will second your feeling that it's probably the best option.  Better to have the same plastic do all the work.  Yes, we probably have a few PS's in TX that would be ok BUT....after  I decided my 'in network' guy wouldn't be right to do this surgery on me I had no hesitation.....N.O. is a 1hr 20 minute flight from DFW, and you're closer than me. Dr. D and S have done thousands of these perforator surgeries, have a phenomenal success rate, the pictures(their products) are fabulous and most importantly they have huge happy, loyal following.  They are ALL BREAST, all the time, and that means somthing too.  lot of other skin sparing pics I've seen from local PS's do not look near as good as NOLAs.  pm me if you want more info..... 

..I still have a month before my surgery......and still have to do more work up that will I hope be clean.  Mine will be prophylactic.  So did Liz give you a date or are you still deciding?

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

Oh yeah!  I forgot to tell you early sept girls.  One of my dear friends at work named Diego was telling me all about his upcoming weekend to 'Southern Decadence'........it is a huge gay gathering.  I love Diego...he is truly a hottie- beatiful skin, chest, arms, speaks fluent french, originally from Columbia/Spain so  spanish is his native language, really handsome......all the boys think so too......not that there is anything wrong w/ that.  I haven't told him about why I've been planning and going to NOLA. I'm sure he'd approve......just not sure I want to tell him yet....But oh man it was all I could do to bite my tongue....he knew I was holding back!  Nonetheless, 9/2-9/7 are the dates.  If you or your spouse/family are easily offended beware!  

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009
    Options

JenniferJane - I can not get your number to work, are you sure it is the correct number in the PM?  Should I dial one on my cell???? Hope you see this....

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

oops!  Guess you figured it out....where's Bev?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ladies, I missed the call!!! Pooh! Hope you had a nice chat. Back home and at work, this is my last week here at home and work to finish up everything! We fly out a week from tomorrow, Tues  Sept 1... for NOLA....

Gin, I will be in NOLA through 9/11 when we fly out. So we could get together with you 9/8 or 9/9. My surgery is 9.3, so I will be out of hospital by then and at the homewood. We need to trade cell phone numbers! !!! All of us who will be there the same time! I think  lot of PMing is in order... I will PM my cell to those who will be there at the same time as me. That is 9/1 through 9.11. I know some of you will come later, but you ladies can all trade too! 

Brenda, I agree you should TOTALLY go to NOLA for skin sparing and nipple sparing MX if you can. Dr. D was not sure I would have enough fat to "survive" plump enough through rads, so he put in implants as "place holders" to get me through rads. Now I am going back to have the stacked DIEP/lumbar. If you have enough fat, he can "over stuff" the rads side, knowing rads will shrink it up. They are the experts and can advise you during your consult. 

Melanie and Jen, sorry I missed the phone call!!! You ladies will be arriving after I leave, so I am glad you "found" each other! :)

Warrior, it's you and me girl!!! We open up the September surgeries!!! I will PM you my cell and home number <<gulp>> It is really getting REAL now if I am PMing Warrior my numbers!!! Ahhhhck!!!

Love, love, love.... Spring. :)

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited August 2009
    Options

Yes...let's exchange PM's with cell numbers!  So many of us are overlapping.  Plus I've been chatting with a couple of fabulous ladies from the YSC board who will also be in NOLA at the same time!  We really should have our own hotel...don't you think!

I told my hubby that I want to buy a fabulous house in the Garden District and renovate it into a recovery home for all the ladies having their surgeries done at CRBS.  I have a vision!  Now I just need to figure out a way to finance it!  Wouldn't it be fabulous to have a place were we could all meet?

Okay..done dreaming!  I'll be there 9/9-9/15, so would love to see you gals! 

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Trisha, we will overlap! I will be up and around prior to you going in for surgery, so you will see what it's like on the other end... I expect this to be inspirational!!!   : )  Spring.

• Trishia
    edited August 2009
    Options

I've already had Stage 1, so I am an old pro...LOL!!!  Every lady I am privledged enough to meet is inspirational!  So I definitely expect you to be the same. 

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Trisha, then I expect to be inspired by YOU!!!!   :)  he he.

• Trishia
    edited August 2009
    Options

Sheesh..way to put pressure on me...LOL!  Got all of my appointments made and everything finalized today so Katie could finish up my itinerary.  She was worried we would arrive too late on Wednesday to stay at the Hope Lodge, but all is well!

• Warrior517
    edited August 2009
    Options

Trishia has been through Stage 1 so I expect her to have a bikini on in the halls of the hospital!! lol Kidding..but I will be seeing you, along w/Spring in NOLA. I am there from 9/2-9/15!

I haven't even started of thinking of packing but I will proudly say I made COLOR CODED charts/calendars for all my kids activities etc..lol My Mom comes in 2 days from Florida for a month to watch the kids and help me upon my return. Somehow..someway it will all work it..IT ALWAYS DOES!

Spring, come back my bags..I have a feeling you are more organized than me! lol

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited August 2009
    Options

Happy, the liposuction removes fat via suction.  Fat injections are done by taking the harvested fat, spinning in a centrifuge to remove impurities/blood/etc.  The purified fat is loaded into 10cc syringes and injected where needed or desired.  It can be used to plump up areas with contour deficit, and I had it done a few times to replace lost volume above my DIEP flaps.  I hope this helps!

• Gin52
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ok, gotta get to bed and go to work in am....but will get list of names and pm my number to all that will be there between 9/8 and 9/18.  My surgery is 9/10 so am sure I will be there till at least 9/17 or 9/18.  coming way too fast, isnt it?

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Gin, I am adding you to the listing at the top, I don't have you there yet. What procedure are you having, what hospital, and what doctor? Sorry, I must have missed this somehow! Spring.

• Warrior517
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ok...its getting closer for some of us. My dream last night was about trying to find the Dial soap. They only had it available in Dial Beads..lol which doenst even exist.  Oh mama mia...time to take a xanax! lol

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Warrior, that is HILARIOUS!!! Dial soap beads. LOL. I had a dream a bit back that I was out of surgery, and waking up. Something had not gone smoothly, but they were able to deal with it. Gosh, I'd rather be hunting for the Dial Soap!!! ahhhhck!!! I hope my next dream is about packing or something. : )

I called a friend who returned home from NOLA this past Saturday. Her surgery was 8/14. She is doing great. Pretty much done with the pain pills. She had the Lumbar procedure, and has just 2 drains now left in the back area. She says she cannot get herself back INTO the binder/girdle thing after a shower on her own... apparently they are so tight it takes a lot of upper body strength that we won't have right after surgery! (Mental note, need post shower help once home!).  

• Warrior517
    edited August 2009
    Options

Spring- love the hair!! WOW..it looks so cute!!  Tell yourself before bed that you will dream of laughing and dining with some of BC sisters..we will all laugh and then say "Stop..it hurts.." lol

Is anyone or did anyone wear spanx instead?? Are they recommended? Also..someone told me today that on Oprah the show was about staph infections etc. The number one thing that we must to protect ourselves is NOT to let anyone sit on our beds...we all carry staph. I don't think we will have too many visitors in NOLA, besides each other, but just a tip, nonetheless....

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

Yes, Ms. Beverly, your hair is fabulous!

Ok, a little off topic...... have a date(w/ my gay friend Diego-not that it matters!) whom I referred to above, on friday. I have free tickets to a symphony peformance.  So, Bev you might have something delivered from me thru my friend Diego since he'll be in NO for southern decadence wkend......

On that note, I better whip this place into shape.......Nothing like a really good looking gay man coming over to motivate me to make my place sparkle.  He's a med student and a real sweetheart-helping me crossover from conversational to fluent spanish too...good to keep the brain occupied on something other than chi chis!(spanish slang for boobs). 

Have a great wednesday all!  later!

jennifer 

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

New ChiChi's all around! LOL. Southern decadence weekend. Wow! Diego sounds like an interesting guy...

No bad dreams last night! And the dial soap was right there in the shower this morning Warrior! LOL, JK!!!

Spring.

• Warrior517
    edited August 2009
    Options

Lol..Spring! I just bought mine! I was told to use it three days prior but you have been using it for awhile now, eh?  I think I will start tomorrow. I haven't thought of packing yet..at least half of the trip we will be in stylin hospital gowns lol

• Gin52
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ok, talked to Katie today.  I am staying at Hope Lodge 7th-9th and will be at Homewood Suites 13th -18th.  In between?? Hopefully, sleeping mostly! lol Getting very close!   See u ladies soon!

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Gin, are you at St. Charles Surgical?

I will have left the homewood by the time you get there, but you and Warrior will overlap some! 

Warrior, yes, I got some "nice smelling" dial soap, so decided to start using it now. what the heck, right? Can't hurt (I hope!)

Oh sure, that will be my next kooky dream: "Oh sorry we can't do surgery on you since you've used the Dial soap for 9 days prior to surgery, rather than the three days we prescribed..."   !!!! ahhhck...