Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2012

Jenlee, I still have my surgical glue also so I think it is normal. I have been extremely gentle when showering so that may be part of it. I am really starting to feel like I am getting my energy back. I have ventured out of the house the past two days which has been nice except for the hip drains. They are so difficult to conceal. In three days, it will be one month. We will have to celebrate! Yeah for us.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

Ladies, This is a stupid question but did you bother to take a purse w/ you?   Katiejane

• Katiejane
    edited June 2012

Ladies, This is a stupid question but did you bother to take a purse w/ you?   Katiejane

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2012

I took a purse but took out all of the things that were nonessential. I took things like ID, credit card, money, insurance card, chapstick.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

I had my purse... and probably didn't even remove non-essential stuff... You wil need it before and after the hospital... for traveling, hotel, food etc.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Re glue: it's sticks like, well, glue. Mine took forEVER to come off. Weeks and weeks before it even started to peel. Eventually I couldn't resist picking at it. 

Re scars: I've never seen the brown tape everyone talks about but I've been using Kelo-cote. The Center is sending me a second tube. I have a LOT of scars. 60 inches! But they're looking pretty good, all things considered

Re purse: I took my purse, though I left a bunch of stuff at home. I didn't need it at the hospital, but you're not there all the time. One thing I did find, though, was that my purse hit right at my hip incision and caused it to really hurt. It took me a while to figure out why my left hip was so irritated. It wasn't hitting it hard or anything, but even the slightest pressure can make a difference if it goes on for a long time.

We've got lot's of Nolettas this summer
    It's quite a spectacular number
    I wish all the best
    For every new breast
    And hope no one ends up with a bummer 

Eva 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2012

Eva, great limerick.....I laughed out loud!

Katiejane,  I did bring a purse but a very small one.  It fit license, credit card, insurance card, and lipstick and was very light since you have lifting restictions. I know on a normal day my regular handbag is HEAVY!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

Nice one, Eva!!!

I took a very very small purse that held only the essentials.  When I walked in NOLA, it wasn't so heavy.  It doesn't take much to quickly become too heavy.   

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2012

I am 10 days out from step 2 revisions. Not sure if I mentioned before but the mammory band had broke that was holding the breast up was my issue. I am still emotionally unstable and spoke to Jeanine yesterday she had no idea about our 31 hour ordeal getting home from NOLA. After talking to her she made me realize that this emotional feelings are somewhat normal and I am NOT crazy. I did end up at the ER night before last because my good leg felt hot to touch and hurt to walk on and had a bulge and was scared of a blood clot. It is superficial vein thrombousus. so at least not life threatening. Hope all is well with everyone. And good luck to lady coming up

• Katiejane
    edited June 2012

Thank you all for your input on the purse issue.  I have packed a very small purse just to have for the times I may need it.  I leave for NOLA on Monday and I can't seem to sit still!!!  LOL!!!  I may have a few more last minute questions before I reach departure date!    Katiejane

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

Taderbug, I added your October 23 date above in our listing! Welcome! Nice to know that Betsy will be there for a consult at the same time. It is likely that there will be more ladies added over time!

Yay JanelleG!!! Great to hear from you and get such a great report on Fairway. I am glad you got to meet up with harmonysun!

Nordy, So glad you got to meet Jane123 and Need2New! This thread was three years old on June 27! Happy Anniversary to us! (Glad to help, thanks for the "thanks", Nordy!).

Eva, Nolettas?? I love it! 

• Starfyre
    Starfyre Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2012

I took a peek at my new boob today. It looks beautiful. Dr S took my saggy belly and made a new boob so now I have a baby belly boob. Lol

Doing fine. Pain is manageable

At Fair way they normally give breakfast to DHs but said they don't do lunch or dinner. So far they have brought my DH or my daughter lunch and dinner each time. They are so nice here

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2012

Janelle & everybody ~

So nice to hear about your great surgical outcomes with Dr. Sullivan, and also just how really nice he is.  My flight leaves tomorrow morning, and I have my consult with Dr. S on Monday afternoon. 

I can't thank all of you enough for sharing your personal experiences here & on PMs, for Springtime for starting this thread, and to Nordy for the positive and informative boost I got from her phone call after my meltdown & almost changing my mind last week.

Peace & Blessings!

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Have a great trip, PinkHeart!  It would be absolutely against human nature to not be nervous before surgery.  I felt much more at ease knowing I would be treated by some of the best micro-surgeons in the U.S.  They put me at ease even more after my pre-op appointment. These folks know what they are doing!  This is nothing you can't handle.  The human body is an amazing healing machine.  My surgery was almost two weeks ago. I have felt nearly ecstatic at being finished with the surgery and in the healing stage.  Well worth the journey!  Best wishes!

• lastar
    edited July 2012

I just want to share a story.  My mom had a stroke 2.5 years ago and she has been doing poorly these last several months.  She has seizures, double vision, and hallucinations and the doctors have not been able to correct this with meds.  She is not able to get out of bed much, and the aphasia (inability to speak) from the stroke makes it hard for her to communicate what she is going through.  Her health has definitely taken a turn for the worse since my diagnosis.  She has no governor on her emotions and cries over the smallest things, so my diagnosis and subsequent surgeries have upset her greatly.  When my re-exicison was not successful and MX was planned, we decided as a family to not tell my mom.  It has been so hard to go through the last 2 months of waiting and planning without being able to talk with my mom, and it's been even worse when I have had to tell the occasional white lie.  I haven't talked with her for the last 2 weeks that I was in NOLA and recovering because it would just be too hard to pretend that nothing was going on.  I talked with her tonight and she was in great spirits and communicating better than usual.  She asked about me and said "doctor," so I told her a little of the truth then more and more until I'd told her the whole story.  We laughed a lot about me having great new breasts and we sighed in relief that the cancer is gone.  I am just so happy to have finally been able to talk with my mother about this experience and am feeling such relief!!!  

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2012

What a great story. I lost my mom this year 4 weeks after her stroke. I miss her. :(

Janelle it is great to her from you. How is Harmonysun doing? My husband was glad to hear thAt he might get fed at FAirway. Ha ha. I love your term, baby belly boob.

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Cherrie, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. There are days when we wonder which would be harder: losing our mom to stroke or seeing her struggle so much every single day. She is exhausted with living this life.

• Starfyre
    edited July 2012

I havenot seen Harmonysun since before our surgeries. I think next time I am up walking I will ask if she is up for a visit. I can also send my daughter over. I asked the nurse but she is not able to share much which is understandable

I think there are only 3 patients here so we get a lot of attention

Feeling good and my new boob looks great. Dr S just stopped by and is pleased

I feel like an old lady walking hunched over and all but was so glad to learn ahead of time with all of your posts that this is what it would be like. You all have helped so much. I know what to expect and that makes it so much easier

• Starfyre
    edited July 2012

A friend suggested I make a tape of affirmations and soothing music to listen to while I am in surgery. Apparently your subconscious registers what is said while you are under. My anesthesiologist said that was fine so I made a playlist of my favorite music and some meditation tapes and put it on repeat. I woke hearing my favorite music It was a nice touch. Dr K, my anesthesiologist made sure my ear buds stayed in

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2012

Wow, Jannelle, I've never heard of taping music while under anesthesia.  I'll have to consider that.  Glad to hear you are doing well.

I'm at Hope House now, and it's really quiet.  It's very, very nice, too.  Glad they have computers available, too.  Only thing I didn't think to bring a blowdryer because I'm so used to hotels having one.  Didn't see one in bathroom . . .

I'm used to traveling on business and using a corporate credit card to pay and tip taxi drivers on the rate.  How much do you all tip these drivers that SCSH provides? 

• lastar
    edited July 2012

I tipped $5 for short trip, $8 for airport trips.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited July 2012

Janelle, so glad to hear that you're doing well!

Pinkheart, I think for the most part, we tipped about a minimum of five dollars for the shorter rides, i.e., from the hotel to the center. Maybe about fifteen for the ride in from the airport where the driver had to wait for us and deal with the luggage. But I am curious about what others have done.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

JannelleG - you sound in great spirits. So good to hear from you. 

PinkHeart, {{{{HUGS}}}. Soon you will be on the other side. Thinking of you!

LAStar, My mom passed recently and I miss her. I am so glad you got to talk to your Mom. It made me smile. Ain't nobody like your Mom!

Thinking of Dana25 and KatieJane too!

July 2 - PinkHeart - Consult with Dr. S, NOLA 

July 3  (from Apr 17) - Dana25 - DIEP/SGAP Stage 1 with Dr. Marga in NOLA  

July 5 - KatieJane - Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. M and Dr. S, NOLA  

• Katiejane
    edited July 2012

PinkHeart and Spring,  I lost my mom as well--it was last September (metastatic BC) and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about her.  It's been a real trial to adjust to her passing but I think the hardest part has been not being able to talk to her!!  She is my best friend and we had a very special connection.  She was always there for me!  I found a voice mail on my phone that I didn't know was there so I can still hear her voice. Sounds kind of weird I know but it is comforting.

Anyway, I'm off to NOLA tomorrow.  Not looking forward to the heat and humidity but can't wait to be done w/ this surgery!!! 

Thinking of you Dana and PinkHeart!!!     Hugs!   Katiejane

• jenlee
    edited July 2012

Dana and Katiejane, if you get nervous, remember you'll be in the very best hands!!! I was just shocked a few minutes ago when I read about someone who had a twenty hour BMX and DIEP surgery, not at Nola. Thank goodness for the skilled surgeons at Nola. I think my Diep was 7 or 8 hours.

I'm so sorry for everyone's loss and sadness about their mothers, it must be very painful. Some of us (me) don't appreciate ours enough. I'm going to give her a call right now, so thank you.

• lastar
    edited July 2012

I always save a voice mail or two from my mom, just in case.  So true, Springtime! Nobody like mama!  I made her laugh telling her how I'm going to show her my brand-new breasts!  Laughing

Best wishes, Dana and KatieJane!  It's great being in the Recovery Club!  You'll do great! 

• Starfyre
    edited July 2012

Stopped in to see HarmonySun. She has experienced swelling all over her body (hands dace etc) and wonders if anyone has experienced this as well

• jenlee
    edited July 2012

Janelnelle, I did -- had been having problems with swelling off and on since chemo, but it increased after surgery. I was discharged on a Saturday and was so alarmed when I got to the hotel and saw in the mirror how swollen I was all over. I went back and saw Dr. Trajan the next day and he gave me a prescription for Lasik and potassium. My doctor here has kept me on it for a more weeks but then I was swollen to begin with. It does get better!

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited July 2012

Good Wishes to all the ladies heading into and out of surgery. Everyday is better and then every week is better.

It was a great evening meeting Jane123 & Nordy. Wonderful food, families, and fun! All of our "girls" are fabulous! 

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2012

Checking in from NOLA French quarter. Hot, humid and healing. Discharged last night and only two hip drains left. I cannot straighten much and my back pain can be unbearable. Any healing tips would be appreciated. Adjusting to care at the hotel overwhelmed me at first. We got a routine now and get through each day at a time.

Loved the nurse Char, what an angel. Glenn was the only driver that refused a tip and what a beautiful person he is. Tipped $5 also except airport trips. I wish I could bottle up some Kirstin massage to take home. My sister dozed off just watching my arm massages.

I also have excessive swelling. Dr Massey said I was pumped up during surgery and should give it a week. Trips to the bathroom are frequent and annoying at night but will improve with time.

Take care all.