Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2012

Oh shoot! Issac is already causing havoc. It is so hard to have your surgery canceled. There are now quite a few of us who will want to reschedule. So sorry you have to come home.

• Cherrie
    edited August 2012

I just got called by my MO. My PET scan is fine. Inflammation of a spot on my left lung due to past radiation. Whew!! Now I will be rescheduling along with all the canceled surgeries of Issac. They are evacuating NOLA as we speak.

I am on cloud nine.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2012

Cherrie, That's great news.

I was wondering about that. I can remember my radiation oncologist saying that when you have chest x-rays or any other testing you'll have to be sure to tell them that you had radiation, because you can develop scar tissue on your lungs from the radiation. 

I hate you had to be sent home from NOLA because of that, but, thankfully that's all it was. 

Maybe there needs to be a change to having the test there, instead of at home, along with the other pre-ops...guess that's just not possible. 

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2012

Cherrie--so happy for you on good news. Sorry about reschedle. U might have had to evac before your postop? Hope all is ok for other patients there now and all residents too.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2012

Yay, Cherrie -- glad for your good news.  You can snuggle into that wonderful quilt and start moving ahead soon.

ttay, just wondering if you will be able to find someone to help you between surgery and your post-op.  

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2012

Yes, LAstar. Thanks so much for your response. My son will be able to come sooner; as soon as my sister leaves.

I'm just wondering how the hurricane will affect the schedule at NOLA now.

I hope New Orleans and all in its path make it through this storm unscathed. 

• lastar
    edited August 2012

Great news, ttay

Hoping that Isaac is not as bad as feared, everyone gets back in soon, and the travel changes are not too problematic or expensive.  My girlfriend there is planning on riding it out, and I'm worried for her.  

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2012

My friends are planning on riding it out too. I'm worried for them, but she said it's so hard to get back if they leave. If it get upgraded to a cat 2 or 3 when it hits land, they will leave. But their house is inland some and doesn't flood, so I'm praying hard for them & all those in the path!!!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited August 2012

Cherrie, that is such wonderful news!!!!  It much be such a relief for you and I'm so sorry that you had to have your surgery cancelled, as well as have this big worry on your mind!  At least now you can get on with things!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2012

my friend just left her daughter in NOLA for college... and classes are cancelled, but they have not evacuated them (as of this morning). Parts of the city are definitely lower than others... the Center is in a kind of low area, as is Canal Street where the Homewood Suites is... but the Quarter and Uptown are higher. So when in doubt, head to a bar in teh Quarter!!!!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2012

Cherrie,  so very happy for your good news!  Now you can look forward and schedule your surgery.  Wrap that quilt around you and look to your great future.  Hugs,

Prayers for everyone in New Orleans. 

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2012

I'll be riding out IASAC here in New Orleans.  I'm hoping it won't be too bad.  Sorry you girls will have to reschedule your breast recon surgery that was scheduled ths week.  You wouldn't want to be here at this time, believe me.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2012

Cherrie, so happy to hear you news:)

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited August 2012

ISAAC BLOWS!

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2012

Addy have you got a new time for surgery?

• Adey
    edited August 2012

Yes, this Friday in Charleston!  Help!

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2012

Cherrie - great news

So two weeks to the day post op from surgery with Dr Dellacroce. Love rhe new me already.

Things plugging along healing, back home now. Hurricane in NOLA, and unfortunately my left hip drain tool it upon itself to basically come out on it's own today. Never snagged on anything nothing just came out : (. I was so careful.

Have a plastic surgeon locally that just saw me and she said since it had worked it's way 98% out and nonlpnger working she had to pull it too likely to infect and bot doing anything. She just said compression compression compression and take it easy. Watch it and she is on stand by if it needs to be aspirated. I hope it does bot come to that but worried because inwas still pitting out about 75- 80ccs both sides, they were only 5 CCs different. I know he likes the drains in 3 weeks minimum : (

I followed all thebdirectioms and was super careful : (. Did this happen to anyone else?

Good luck to all of you that have to re-schedule, such a bummer when you get yourself all ready then along comes a hurricane.... : /

Thanks

Lesley

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2012

Oh no, Adey! Who is doing your procedure?

Cherrie... Such incredible news! I hope you have celebrated sufficiently! Looking forward to a visit with you when you are ready!

Prayers for all the patients and staff of NOLA, and their families.

• Cherrie
    edited August 2012

Adey, I am so happy that you are still able to get this surgery done. Did you go straight there from NOLA? What an adventure for you. Keep us posted.

Jen, I am so relieved. Hope to meet you in the near future. I don't know my surgery date yet. I am supposed to find out this week however I would think they need to see what ISAAC does. It is so much easier to wait for this than that #+%*}^ PET SCAN. That was hard. I am doing so well and continue to have a positive attitude about this.

Praying for everyone in NOLA.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited August 2012

Cherrie- Very happy for you! More good news when you find out your new date. Enjoy your quilt as well. What a precious gift.

We pinned to the news on NOLA/Isaac.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2012

Lesley... For GAP flaps, they are usually in a minimum of 6 weeks.. I had mine for 8.5 weeks. I suggest you put extra compression on the incisions, so wear compression garment and add ABD pads (like 3-4 per side).

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited August 2012

Did anyone feel more stressed out at work as their surgery date approaches? I am guessing this is all normal but I just feel so emotional. Trying to get everything in order before I leave... I am a planner and coming to understand I just can't do everything and let things go. I am sure I will learn this even more after surgery. Not sure if I should be embracing these last few weeks or anxiously await surgery...no easy answers I guess.

- How much time off did those take with bilateral hip flaps? I understand drains can be in for up to 6-8 weeks.

- Should I plan to only bring button down shirts while in NOLA? Trying to avoid bringing a ton of extra items. 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2012

Hi KerryA,  I think your feelings are very normal.  It's just impossible to do everything.  You will learn that you have to let some things slide.  I finally did.  I had one of my drains about 8 weeks and the other a little less than that.  I stayed in button down shirts.  They were easy and kind of hid everything.  I didn't wear half of what I brought.  Packing light is the way to go. You are going to do great!

• Lesleyanne67
    edited August 2012

Thanks Betsy, I know I am bummed : (. Maybe I will get lucky...thanks for all your posts I read and follow you religiously : )

• lastar
    edited August 2012

Lesleyanne67, one of my drains failed at 3.5 weeks and I've had 4 needle aspirations since.  Not nearly as bad as I'd feared!  I haev a long-term needle phobia but the numbness in my hips is working to my advantage here.  I had to have my other drain removed at 8.5 weeks because the doctors don't want them staying in too long.  It was still putting out 40-60 CC/day.  I am using thick washcloths folded into triangles and ABD pads under my compression girdle to increase the compression.  The waterbed effect is decreasing slightly over time.  Frustrating!  

KerryA, I had BMX with hip-flap reconstruction and I went back to work part-time after 5 weeks.  You will not get much done during those weeks, so prepare to rest and relax!  Movies and books and pain pills, oh my!  Long blousy button-down tunics are good.  I found lots of good choices and buttoned shirtdresses at the Goodwill!  My friend brought me the cutest little 50s-style wrap-around dress in a fun pattern that hid my drain well and was easy to take off.  Don't bring much!  The Center gives you nearly everything you need.  

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited August 2012

Lesleyanne67 - My hip drain came out also at 2 weeks post op.  Dr. D wanted me to have another drain put back in but since the type of drain the hospital here was going to put in they decided to let me get aspirated instead.  Which for me was way better since having the drain in so long was going to be a bummer for me.  I went weekly to have a ultrasound - then needle aspirated if needed.  I needed it aspirated 4 times/once a week.  It wasn't bad at all since the area is numb anyways, didn't feel a thing.

• Lesleyanne67
    edited August 2012

Thanks LAstar and gmp300. I feel better knowing the aspirations don't hurt. Compressing the heck out of the site, and taking it easy so hoping it goes well.

I will call today but considering they are in the midst of a natural disaster and I have a really great local plastic surgeon monitoring my wound healing and drains....

Thanks everyone. Anyone know of anyone who lost a drain and needed no aspirations? ; ). Am I dreaming???

Lesley

• Adey
    edited August 2012

Lesleyanne-  I had my drains in for two months after stage one gap and developed seromas on both sides anyway.  I was advised as long as there was no pain they would be taken care of at stage two.  There wasn't and they were!  I'm a juicy girl.

KerryA-  The closer the stressed-er!  Especially stage one.  I'm very stressed due to my little whirlwind but what are ya gonna do?  (c:  You will be fine and well taken care of.

• lastar
    edited August 2012

Hi, All - I'm preparing for stage 2 & Jeanine has told me to expect a 2-week recovery period. I talked with a local woman who needed about 5 weeks to recover after having problems from bleeding during the lipo. I'm wondering what others experienced with stage 2 recovery. Thanks!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2012

KerryA, what you are feeling is VERY normal. I was the exact same way.

I had my drains for 5 weeks and 6 weeks and I do have small seromas that only hurt when I run/bounce or sit for long periods of time.  I know it'll be taken care of at stage 2, so I am not doing anything for them. I know at 2 weeks though, I was still putting out a lot of fluid.

LAstar, Jeanine told me 2 weeks too.  But, at least with my work it's best to ask for longer and come back sooner than it is to extend the time if I needed it.  So, I spoke with Stacy who does the leave paperwork and she is putting me out for 4 weeks and I will go back sooner if all goes well.

I leave in less than 3 weeks for stage 2. I know all the surgeries were cancelled for this week.  I am still hoping and praying all is ok there. If all is well there, will they push others back to accomodate the surgeries cancelled this week?