Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2012

I may just wait until jan for my diep. My insurance denied. Appealing.

I don't like the idea being put under for 12 plus hours. I know many people have had great outcomes at my facility. And that I should trust them, but I can't.

I researched my bs,picked one of the top of cancer facilities. It was absolutely horrible. The bs did a awesome job getting bc out.

I dont want residents working on me. I will wait if I have to.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2012

I may just wait until jan for my diep. My insurance denied. Appealing.

I don't like the idea being put under for 12 plus hours. I know many people have had great outcomes at my facility. And that I should trust them, but I can't.

I researched my bs,picked one of the top of cancer facilities. It was absolutely horrible. The bs did a awesome job getting bc out.

I dont want residents working on me. I will wait if I have to.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2012

What about Bernard Chang at Mercy?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2012

Geralyn, Congratulations! I added your stage 2 date above. 

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited August 2012

Chelle - I had the exact same thing happen after stage I. No worries. The center refunded my agreed upon amount after stage I. I did have to pay the agreed upon amount for my stage 2. My insurance flat out denied several of the billed lines. I had very limited lipo, only enough to make my breasts symmetric but the lipo was flat out denied. I probably should have appealed it since the fat was used for symmetry but after 15 months, 4 surgeries, chemo and radiation, I was worn down and just paid the agreed amount. I hope that you're thrilled with the results after your stage 2!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2012

fredntan ~

Betsy suggested Dr. Chang at Mercy.  http://mdmercy.com/womens/breastrestoration/options.html#sgapflap

Johns Hopkins was one of my surgery stops around the U.S., and my "revision" surgery did not go well there.  The JH doc started rambling off PS names that he might refer me to and I recall him saying there was "someone" at Mercy that he may check out for me.  My guess is that the "someone" was Dr. Chang.  Never heard back from JH PS -- his emails kept saying he would call me tomorrow!  So I did my own research and ended up going to Charleston for SGAP surgery.   

Don't blame you for not wanting residents working on you, though we all know the docs went through it themselves to get where they are today.  I feel so fortunate to have been able to go to a renowned and caring plastic surgeon in private practice, and having flap surgery at a new, smaller hospital with all covered 100% on insurance.   

I hope for the best for you with finding a good PS, good insurance coverage, and good outcome!

• Rawlins
    Rawlins Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012

Heading to NOLA this September 12!  Anyone else?

• sassy43
    sassy43 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2012

Congrads Rawlins!  Unfortunetly I wont be there until September 21.  When are you planning on leaving? I am flying in on the 19th.  It would be great if we could meet up.  Are you there for stage 1 or 2?  For me it will be stage 1 with Dr. S. 

Vicky, could you please put me on the calendar for Sept 21? Thanks for all the time you spend with us.  I know it has been my support for me thus far as I reached my decision. :) 

• bdavis
    edited August 2012

Its Springtime who updates the list above... so you may want to PM her your dates...

Rawlins - Sept 12 

Sassy43 - Sept 21

• mandalynn
    mandalynn Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2012

Kd6blk,

I'm responding to your post above about PRMA and no CT scan before surgery. I believe it's because they use a "new" technology by a company called Novadaq that's called SPY. It's a dye injected during surgery that shows the vessels. Dr. chrysopolos from PRMA is quoted in their website under "new technology" about this.

I'm having my delayed bilateral diep there on Monday. Flying from CA to TX. They are just about the only doctors I found that were in-network with my insurance -BCBS of CA. for my pre-surgical payment, I paid $160 (I had already met almost all of my co-pay max because I get shots to shut down my ovaries that are very expensive).

Nice to see posts from others that have gone to PRMA. I really respect the NOLA docs. I wrote into the "ask the doctor" forum a lot to get Dr D's opinion.

Amanda

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2012

Hi All,

I am scheduled for Stage 1 with Dr. DellaCroce at Nola on Tuesday (8/28).  I have DCIS in my left breast and all along have been planning on bilateral mastectomy and hip flap reconstruction.  Looking at the NOLA website, I notice there are a few women who have had DCIS and had a mastectomy/reconstruction on the DCIS breast then 'tweaked' the other breast with a lift, reduction or implant for symmetry.  Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?  I suppose the pros are that you'd "save" additional donor sites in case the flap fails, fewer inscisions/drains, etc.  The cons are: possible asymmetry (which I have anyway, so no too worried about this) and the worry about reoccurrence. It's late in the game to change things up & I do plan to discuss this with Dr. D, but just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks so much! 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited August 2012

Hi Sydgrace -- I also had DCIS, nodes negative, and had a unilateral on my right side. Didn't want implants because there is NEVER symmetry with that (one new and perky, the other my age and saggy!). I have to say that I am thrilled with my work to date -- Stage 1 and 2, and qwouldn't be loking at a stage 2B except that I lost about 30 pounds (needed it!) and so the contralateral breast is smaller. Hoping for late October-early November for 2B to even things out. I think Dr. D. is an absolute artist when it comes to sculpting a woman's body and other than smaller on the one side, my breasts match well and are beautiful. Talk it over ... the recurrence of non-invasive or true DCIS is about 1%, so I kept the left one and now have a beautiful new right one -- that doesn't lose weight as it is a "butt" boob and that is the last place my body loses! Please feel free to PM me if you would like to chat more about this.

Maggie

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2012

Downey....I saw your post a few pages back regarding abdominal bloating and wanted to mention, as a sufferer of wheat intolerance, I can attest to the fact that a gluten free diet helps a great deal in lessening internal stomach and intestinal bloating, but won't have any effect on tissue bloating, which is what many deal with after DIEP surgery.  This tissue bloating can take a year + to subside and while a poor diet may lessen the body's ability to heal, a diet eliminating gluten won't provide relief from tissue bloating as a result of surgery or other trauma.  It hasn't for me.  

There are those who attest that a GF diet does lessen inflammation in the body.  Many feel a reduction in joint pain especially, and others find that symptoms of asthma and chronic skin disorders are reduced.  In addition to intestinal bloating I also get pimple like breakouts around my mouth when I eat wheat.  

Hope this helps. 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2012

Glostagirl,  thanks for the information about the gluten diet.  I read up on it and am considering trying it.  It's kind of funny...my stomach was flatter a couple of weeks after surgery than it is now.  I am exercising and trying to eat well.  I know people say up to a year but that seems like such a long time especially when other ladies talk about how flat they are soon after surgery.  Again, thanks.

How are you doing?  Your were just about a week after me.  Do you still have a tight feeling?

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2012

Hey there Sassy

I'm 1 day ahead of you (sept 20th) Hopefully we can meet up.

Thanks toomuch, I don't want to have limited lipo or anything else, I will pay what I have to for stage 2 and then work out the refund later. I can't go back for another surgery and I need everything done and lord willing, for everything to take the way it's supposed to.

Hoping this storm doesn't hit NOLA like they are predicting. My friend who I stay with when I'm there is ready, but it still worries me. All ladies headed there this week, please be safe!!!

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2012
    My stomach was also flatter the weeks after surgery. It has been 5 1/2 weeks for me. I changed my diet last week and I noticed that if I "overworked" my abs during the day (bend over, walk more, etc) my stomach gets distended and it hurts. On the right side I have a seroma and on the left side I have scar tissue, so its looks like I have a"tummy". My "boobs" (or my chest) still hurt when I get out of bed in the morning, but what bothers me the most is the tightness and reduction in the range of motion of my left arm and chest (due to the damage of rads). They promise that it will get better after they remove the TE and so far it feels the same. Well, let's see what the PT says next week. Have a wonderful weekend! Cool
  • Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2012

Thanks you to all for your support. Some of those PM's have gotten me through the weekend. I had my PET scan early Friday. Given my situation they said the report would be done that day and my oncologist would be called and in turn she would call me. I called around 4:00 and my MO said she had never heard from them. She said she would call me this weekend as soon as she heard. That never happened. We all remember what this was like.

On a good note. My family and BFF's presented me with a quilt that each person had contributed a square for. It was meant to be covering me when I woke up at Fairway. It had been sent there. Etta from FAIRWAY sent it back to my husband. They are wonderful there. I was overcome with emotion when I saw this. They wanted me to feel their arms around me. I wish I could show you all.

I will let you know results when I find out. Keep those prayers coming.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2012

Oh Cherrie,  You have been in my prayers and they will continue.  I can't even imagine the emotions you must be carrying around with you!

What an awesome gift of the heart from those that love you!  Their arms are around you now and you will have the quilt to take with you when you return to Fairway!     Warm Hugs!   Katiejane

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2012

Thinking of you Cherrie. So wonderful that you have such supportive and loving friends and family, the quilt sounds awesome.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2012

Rawlins and Sassy, I'll add you above, do you have any other detials? Stage 1 or 2, type of surgery? doc? Not required, just let me know if you want anything else added. PM is best. 

Spring. 

Rawlins - Sept 12 

Sassy43 - Sept 21 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2012

The quilt came with a photo book of each person with their individual square and a note from them. I even have my 1 year old granddaughter's handprint on it. This quilt is priceless. I am still I awe of the thoughtfulness of so many around me.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2012

Ralston -- With my surgery same time as yours, I'm having the same issue with my left arm, the side that had ALND and rads -- it doesn't have full range of motion. I can raise it level with my head, but not higher without pain. I got an order for PT from the Center, but I am putting off following up on it because I have a bigger problem to deal with that I think contributes to my fatigue -- the abdominal incision's necrosis. Dr. S has contacted my local hospital's wound care center, and I have my first appointment there this Tuesday, which is at 6 weeks post-op. I hope it is more than a consultation, because this thing needs debridement and more help than betadine. I seem to have a little more protruding belly than a couple of weeks ago, and both DIEP breasts are smaller than they had been, and have a couple of hard spots. My ribs hurt too, probably where they broke in to take the perforators through. I hope we have more "comfortable" days ahead. Report back how your PT goes!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2012

Sydgrace, Adey, Momma2Four -- I hope you're doing well anticipating your surgeries Mon/Tue as TS/Hurricane Isaac approaches NOLA area. Praying for no disruption by evacuation and that the medical teams can keep performing with minimal effect from the storms. Take care!

Edit: Oops, I see in later replies that evacuation plans were underway already. Changing my prayer that you ladies can return to surgeries at the Center ASAP, and that the staff, patients, and facility will be safe. Praying for city services to handle what may come. 

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2012

Cherrie ~  Thought and prayers continue for you along with many others.  Thanks for sharing your heartwarming story about your beautiful quilt! 

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited August 2012

Beautiful quilt share story Cherrie! Nothing says love and caring more than the time and stitches that went into that beautiful gift.  Thank you for sharing that warmth today!

• bdavis
    edited August 2012

Hurricane Isaac... ugh.

• patience62
    patience62 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012

I am so sad that my sgap with Dr. Massey has been cancelled for this Thursday due to Isaac!  More waiting for me.

I pray that all of the ladies in the hospital and the staff will be safely evacuated.

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2012

Thanks Celtic, for your reply about the unilateral mastectomy. I'm so happy for you that your results sound amazing. I've heard only wonderful things about Dr D. I will send a PM, just had a few questions.

Cherrie, that's a beautiful story about your quilt, what an incredible group of family & friends! Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

AnnAlive, thank you for the sweet, supportive shout out - unfortunately, just as our plane arrived in New Orleans yesterday (from NYC) I received a call from the center with news that my Tuesday surgery is cancelled due to the hurricane. New date TBD. Not exactly looking forward to the surgery, but really anxious to get started on the road to recovery. Prayers that all the folks at the center/hospital and their families stay safe.

Patience, I can completely relate! Hope you are rescheduled ASAP.

• Kd6blk
    Kd6blk Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2012

Oh, that is cool...I did not even know..going on 4 weeks post op here and heading back to work at the office...Thanks for the information..So far I have had a very good experience with PRMA. My mentor in this went to NOLA so it has been fun to compare notes.

• Kd6blk
    Kd6blk Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2012

What happens at NOLA with the coming storm? Praying for the girls schedule today and tomorrow...