Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2012

Katarina.

Sorry I read the question wrong before missed the word stay. Sorry about this.

Les

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited September 2012

Hi Ladies!   I am scheduled for Stage 2 in NOLA w/ Dr. Massey on October 31.  I've just started to think about it and I was wondering if you all could answer some questions for me.  First of all, how long should I plan on being in NOLA?  Is there more pre-op testing----a post-op check before discharge to fly home?  I believe I have read on here somewhere that as a general rule, stage 2's are approx. a 2-3 hour surgery? Are you sent to the floor with a pain pump or just oral pain medication?  How long was recovery compared to your stage 1(I had DIEP)? Ah, so many questions! I understand that there are many variances to the Stage 2 but I'd like to have some idea as to what I might expect before I go.  Thanks!     Katiejane

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012

I'd love to know the answers to KatieJane's post too please.

hugs,

Kat

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2012
    1. First of all, how long should I plan on being in NOLA?  PLAN TO BE THERE THE DAY OR TWO AHEAD, LIKE STAGE I.. SOME PEOPLE GET PRE-OP TESTING, BUT I DID NOT.. AND TO FLY OUT 3-4 DAYS AFTER.
    2. Is there more pre-op testing----DEPENDS.. I DIDN'T HAVE ANY.
    3. post-op check before discharge to fly home?  OPTIONAL
    4. I believe I have read on here somewhere that as a general rule, stage 2's are approx. a 2-3 hour surgery? MINE WAS 4-5 HOURS, BUT I HAD DIEP AND HIP FLAP REVISIONS
    5. Are you sent to the floor with a pain pump or just oral pain medication?  I THINK I HAD A PAIN PUMP
    6.  How long was recovery compared to your stage 1(I had DIEP)? I WAS BACK AT WORK AT 2 WEEKS. THE PAIN FOR ME WAS GREATER AT STAGE II, BUT MORE LIKE A DEEP BRUISING PAIN. BUT IT PASSED QUICKLY. I WAS FINE AT ABOUT A WEEK. I WENT BACK TO WORK AT TWO WEEKS BECAUSE IT COINCIDED WITH THANKSGIVING BREAK.
  • bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2012

I think a lot has to do with how much you are going to have done during stage 2.  I am one of Dr. Marga's patients and I arrived the day before surgery for all three stage 2 surgeries,  and she did all pre-ops the morning of surgery. Two stage 2's lasted 6 hours and I stayed over night in the hospital with only pain meds...went to a hotel, spent one night, and went home the next day.  The best thing for you to do is to send her a message and ask her how long you need to plan on staying.  She is great on answering her e-mails!  Or you could call and ask whoever is handling your surgery scheduling in the office. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2012

Cherrie, I added your Nov 14 surgery to the list. 

Hey Lesleyanne, no worries! 

The CRBS docs don't require you to have a post op appt after stage 2. I wanted one, and since the docs were not in the office that day, the nurses did it. It was fine....  

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2012

Hi all,

I am trying to get my head wrapped around everything to be done before surgery - travel arrangements, clothes, cleaning, rearranging things to be within reach.  I now understand how the tasks expand to fill the time available.  Would y'all be so kind as to provide a bit of info for me about Stage 1 at Fairway?  I am cross posting this to Columbia Bound, as well since several of their girls have been to Fairway as well.

My surgery will be at Fairway.  Were your pre-op appointments there or at the Center in NOLA?  Did you stay in NOLA the night before surgery and drive over to Covington? 

Did you feel you needed a caretaker in the room with you or is the staff at Fairway on the spot to handle everything?  I have been considering flying my 24 year old son in so he and his Dad can have a guys weekend built around visiting me. 

The packing lists have been really helpful.  Was there anything in particular you wished you had brought to the hospital, but didn't? 

Thanks bunches!  Marty 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2012

WOW, things are really popping on here!!! I have a surgical date for Stage 2B for November 6th. Anyone else going to be there? Would love to meet up! ANd, yes, November surely DOES beat the heat and humidity of August! Had Stage 1 in August ... doggoned near melted! LOL! Way to go , ladies!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2012

Hi Marty, it looks like we will cross paths in NOLA in Novemember. I was scheduled at FAIrway in August but had a complication and came home. Some of your pre-ops will be in NOLA and some at Fairway. These took all day and we rented a car. We started in NOLA and ended in Covington. Becky can arrange this for you. I would stay in Covington the night before as you will be going in around 6:00 AM. The Staybridge Suites are an exit away and you can get a decent price for being a patient of Fairway. (hot breakfast)

I took a tour of Fairway. It is very small and very nice. My husband would have stayed there with me, but you will have great care from the staff. The rooms are big and private.

. Your post op will be at St. Charles while I am there. My surgery is the 14th. If you are up to it stop in and see me. It would be day two for me. It would be great to meet up with you. We have the same doctor and the same stage.

Cherrie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2012

Celtic, I will be coming in on the 12th so will probably just miss seeing you.

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012

Can you fly within a week of stage 1 surgery?  I'm coming from West Coast.

hugs

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2012

Good morning all! Thank you for your sweet & kind words of support. I'm so thankful this board is here, a wealth of knowledge and incredibly kind ladies.

Currently on day 4 post stage 1 bilateral hip flaps - just was released from St Charles yesterday. So true what many of you've said about walking, it's very healing so trying follow that advice & do it as much as possible. Definitely seeing more mobility everyday, it's amazing how the body heals. I know everyone is different but just curious when some of you started to see the body swelling (mainly legs/trunk area) go down? My nipples are also very swollen/raw looking. I assume this is normal but also curious when they'll start to go down.

Hope everyone is having a relaxed & peaceful weekend!

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2012

Katarina, I think many people fly about a week after stage 1. The folks at NOLA see this all the time. I believe in some cases a compression sleeve for the arm is necessary (depends on the individual). I will be flying home from NOLA to NY Thursday, a week post stage 1 & I'll need to wear compression hose which they provided me with. Personally, I'll be a little paranoid about getting bumped into - so will just try to pay attention & be extra vigilant about protecting my personal space. Also, your doctor will provide you with a letter that is supposed to make getting through security easier. I'm not sure how easy it is to get direct flights from the west coast but I'd imagine fewer stops would make things easier.

Celtic, November sounds great for your Stage 2 - congrats! They are experiencing a 'cool front' now but it still feels hot as blazes to me.

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2012

Katarina

I came from Reno so mostly West Coast. Due to time difference and early Mon pre-op I flew in on a Sun night and had my actual surgery Tues. Released Fri so the 3 nights at St Charles. Originally my post op was Tues AM so my return flight Tues late afternoon. Then they changed my post op to Mon so I could have flown Mon so I would say 9 days 7 might be cutting it close and if you have miles and can upgrade or call and ask for bulkhead!!!

Lesley

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2012

Katarina, my post-op was Day 6 after Stage 1 surgery and I flew to Portland, OR the next day.  It was challenging but doable with travel pillows, pain meds, and a friend to make sure I got my embolism socks on.  The staff gives you a letter justifying wheelchair use, and this is helpful to prevent being bumped in the airport or having to stand in long lines.  I did have to do some special security stuff for my drain bulbs, even though I had a letter from the Center explaining why I had bulbs.  I flew Southwest on the way home because they have a flexible policy on changing flights (just in case).  Because I was in a wheelchair, I could board early and get a seat up front.  I got up and walked a bit on the plane to keep the blood flowing, but mostly I just hunkered down with my pillows and iPod and tried to sleep.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2012

Patience, I updated you from Spet 12 - 13th per your pm. Coming up soon! 

I remember being in NOLA for 10-11 days for Stage 1. You have to be there a day or two prior, and then you get out of the hospital after 3 or so days, and stick around for almost a week (??) and then your post surgical appt, then fly home. They will tell you all the parameters when your surgery get's scheduled, hotel booked, flights, etc. .... 

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

I was in the hospital for 5 nights for stage I and had my post op appt one week after surgery. And could fly home anytime after that. I chose to stick around a couple of extra days just for some wiggle room. So I was in NOLA for almost 2 weeks... flew in on a Tues, surgery Thur, post op Thurs, flew home Monday. (Could have flown home Friday)

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2012

Cherrie,  looks like a few of us will be overlapping in early November.  I think someone from Charleston Bound scheduled for Nov. 6th.  So glad you are getting back on track!   Thank you for helping me make the decision - will definitely stay in Covington the night before surgery.  I am working on the tickets now - juggling miles & rewards.  

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited September 2012

Katarina,

I flew in on a Sunday from LAX and left the following Monday after my post op. We took non-stop-flights and hubby made sure we were in 1st class. And as noted by others, the wheelchair was a big help!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2012

I'm in the waiting room for my post op appt with Dr Sullivan. The room is packed! The Center is hopping today. I have been sleeping a lot and could use another nap right now. We'll be driving home tomorrow. Yesterday we went to the French Quarter for a few hours and walked our neighborhood in the evening.

• cider8
    edited September 2012

I did find out what the construction is in the waiting room (the smaller enclosed one). They are adding two more exam rooms. When more than 2 docs are here, the doctors sometimes have to wait around to see their next patient because there are no exam rooms! This should help wait times go faster and not waste the doctors time. There will still be a very small enclosed waiting room.

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2012

Hey Paula,   glad to see your doing good...So just wondering how soon I'll be able to walk around after my stage 2..I really don't know what Dr D plans on doing..I know I will be getting nipple and hopefully he can work on my diep scar (kinda knarly) maybe some lipo??  did you have a compression garmet? also couldn't remember if you had nipple done? do you have to wear some plastic cover??  oh and did you have any drains this time??  sorry for all the questions, but I'll be there in 9 days and guess I'm getting a little nervous...hopefully I will be able to walk around a little b4 and after ,as I'm going with my mom this trip and would like to show her around...safe trip home... Dawn

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

Hi Dawn...

For me, I had a nipple made and yes, had a nipple protector for 3 weeks.

And I was up walking shortly after... but was very bruised. It was fine if I didn't move (ha ha)... but improved quickly. I did have drains, but they were gone after a week or two.

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited September 2012

How far is NOLA from the airport?  Traffic?  I am going to NOLA for tats in November with Vinnie and am trying to coordinate flights and Vinnie's schedule. 

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

The airport is in Metaire, about 30+ minutes from the Center... Not a lot of trafiic.

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited September 2012

So if my plane landed at 9:25 , I am thinking the 10:30 opening is not gonna work....I think I will go for the noon appt.  After appt, is there stuff nearby that is fun to do?  Just trying to make a day of it with my sister who is taking the day off to spend with me.

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

If your plane is on time, you would make the 10:30, but that may be too stressful... And yes, you can take the streetcar from right at the Center into the Quarter. Will you have your own car or are you getting a ride to the Center? You may be better off not driving into the Quarter as parking can be a pain... Years ago it was easy, but now they charge for most parking. Once in the Quarter, you can walk Bourbon Street, relax at Jackson Square, get beignets at Cafe du Monde... or if you are looking for adventure, go on a swamp tour. If you'd rather head uptown you can go to Audubon Zoo.

• cider8
    edited September 2012

Ladies, I got crappy new today. It seems some DCIS cells were found in the initial pathology of my seroma pocket. Drs. Sullivan, Stolier and the pathologist have never seen or heard of anything like it. I'll be waiting for Dr Stolier to call me with more pathology info the instant he gets it. The cells were found inside the pocket and if cells are found elsewhere, or if the seroma pocket doesn't have clean margins, more tissue will need to be removed. Meaning a quick surgery ASAP. So, I wait. Looks like I will need some radiation after all. Final pathology will be another week. then we'll see what my oncologist has in store for me.

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

OMG... I am so sorry... I guess you fall into the 2%. SUCKS. But good that they found it. How were your margins the first time??

• cider8
    edited September 2012

Margins were clean. Didn't even warrant radiation. Dr Stolier thinks the cells may have seeded when I had my needle biopsy.