Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2012
    cider8, I'm so sorry to hear this news!  Why were they checking your seroma?  Is this standard? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is nothing else there and no more surgery needed.
  • cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2012

I don't want to alarm anyone with my scenario. The seroma was in my breast and it was pretty good sized. Dr Sullivan flip flopped between sending and not sending. He sent the seroma capsule and did not send the bit of skin he removed. It seems pretty normal for anything removed from the breast to go to pathology. The fluid from my aspirations went to pathology (at minimum the first one for sure) and came back clean. Thank goodness he sent it on, as it looked like any other seroma he regularly removes.

The fact that I developed this seroma in my breast after Stage 2 is highly unusual. It happens more on the GAP and hip flaps post Stage 1 for our docs. Drs Sullivan and Stolier have never encountered it. Now finding DCIS cells inside the capsule is really blowing them away.

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited September 2012

So then the DCIS cells aren't a big concern? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm still learning about BC. The ladies on BB are also asking about you.

• cider8
    edited September 2012

Yes, these DCIS cells are a big concern. I just don't want everyone else to think what's happened to me will happen to them. So much about my cancer has been a surprise and not typical. Which says a lot when so so many women get breast cancer each year!

Good news! I'm going home and don't need further surgery. Will update as I can.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2012

Cider --

As one who had DCIS, it is a concern, but, in the range of breast cancer, if you have to have it, this is the "good" one. It is not invasive yet and eminently treatable with a very high success ratio and smaller chances of recurrence. So, hold on to those positive thoughts! Pulling for you ... and know that getting home is a relief unto itself! Rest and heal ...

Maggie

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2012

Your in my thoughts & prayers Paula.....just glad they found it...I have alot of hardness in my breast, never was told what it was but sounds like the same thing as you..I also have alot of scar tissue..looking forward to Dr D taking it out as it is tender...glad your going home..

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited September 2012

Paula, glad to hear you're going home! Lots of positive thoughts coming your way!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited September 2012

Hi Paula, so sorry that you have to deal with this!  Sending positive thoughts! Hugs, Jenifer

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2012

Hi Paula... I had a seroma aspirated post stage II from non-cancer breast... all clean and I am not concerned as it was the non-cancerous side. I am sorry for this development... I have heard the possibility of seeding, and have always wondered if that is how I had a micromet in my node. One more reason for us all to have some follow up care post MX. I have a friend who was diagnosed with IDC after DCIS and MX... so in comparison Paula, yours is not as bad... We need to trust they got it all now and rads will take care of the worry??

Dawn...On the cancer side, that is where I have the hardness... and I believe mine is necrosis. I will know more in less than a month.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited September 2012

Paula, sorry that you are going through this but glad to know they found it when they did. What a rollcoaster I'm sure.

Tomorrow will make 2 weeks before my Stage 1 surgery. Heading out on 9/23. Everything feels very surreal right now. Starting a major cleaning campaign around the house this weekend. Helps me keep busy and will help when I get home I figure too. Thanks for everyone's support here. I know I need it as time draws closer. Can't imagine the feeling of being on the other side right now but definitely looking forward to that.

Sending healing hugs to all recovering during this time.

• cider8
    edited September 2012

Thanks ladies. I am home now, no extra surgery needed. Final pathology will tell me more. And let me emphasize that this is the very first time Dr Stolier has ever seen or heard of this!! So please try not to borrow trouble by worrying about your firm tissue! Dr Stolier is very emphatic that this is Very Serious, as he is completely baffled as to why those cells were there when all of the breast tissue was removed with clean margins. My DCIS was 8cm and high grade, along with 2 types if invasive cancer tumors. With such a variety and non typical nature of how things were found, Dr Stolier is not happy.

This goes to show how much our docs care about us and how the cancer is priority number one. Good luck to the ladies heading to the Center soon. The planning time just before is indeed exhilarating. I truly believe the marvelous care we get from the Center, from start to finish, makes our journey much more healing (body and spirit) than we might possibly have otherwise gotten. I wouldn't change any of my choices.

BTW, my breasts are looking beautiful!

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2012

Cider,

I've been thinking of you and wishing we could've met. I had stage 1 the same day as your stage 2b. I am so sorry about what you are going through. Have been sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. I'm so glad you are home and sounding like you are doing well! I echo your sentiment about the center - what an amazing and gifted group of people. Dr. Stollier is in a class by himself, what a gifted surgeon, not to mention a very kind human being. You are in the very best of hands.

Hugs to you,

Heather

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012

Thank you ladies for sharing all your travel experiences and suggestions. I love the idea of a wheel chair at the airport. Travel has become so daunting getting through security these days so a wheelchair sounds like a great perk.

When you come home do you have a doctor who provides local oversight and post op. checks?

Hugs,

Kat

• lastar
    edited September 2012

I asked my local breast surgeon, the one who performed my lumpectomies, if he would back me when I got home and he agreed. He has been dealing with my needle aspirations and is there if I have any questions. He would have removed my drains too, but I have a nurse friend that did the first one and my hubs removed the second one.

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2012
    good morning....thanks jenifer and leigh ann for advice about the aspiration....spent 3 hours on the phone trying to get this figured out....it was a**piration exhasperation....lol...so turns out my bs said they would do it....but then on further conversation, no matter where the area, breast or otherwise, they will only do aspirations if the area is hard, red and or hot.....they said that putting a needle in opens up the possibility of getting infection and if there is a problem then that overweighs that chance.....

so...jenifer your advice about the interventional radiologist was right on and that is what i did, called 4 hospitals, 3 said they needed further info like scans to show there is fluid(??!!)....but one finally scheduled me for today 

....anyone who has had this done, did you have to have someone drive you?....did you have to do anything before or after?......is there anything in particular the tech needs to know, as it doesnt seem this is a procedure they do often....

runningforsanity...you had it done a lot!...that is interesting that each time it was less until it stopped....

....i know it's been mentioned that the numbness makes it so it's not felt, but what if they hit an area that's not numb?....

my rear looks like a normal one now that it's all filled out....will they drain it enough that it brings back the shark bite, etc?.....

....appt in a couple hours so just a lil nervous.....:))

• lastar
    edited September 2012

My dr uses a little lidocaine around the area to be sure it is numb.  I have had a long-term needle phobia that often involves fainting, but apparently my BC adventure has cured me of that because these sessions have been fine for me.  I drove myself to the last one.  If you have any worries, then have someone drive you. Yes, your shark bite will be back!  You want the shark bite to close so that the area can't hold more sera.  That's where the compression comes in.  There's nothing special to the process -- just a few pokes with a needle and draw it out.  The Center will want to know how much came from each side.  Good luck!

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2012

...you rock leigh ann!...thanks....off i go...yikes...lol...:))

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2012

Katarina - Dr Massey requires a "helper" doctor.  I think most of the NOLA doctors do for their out of town patients.  There is a certain comfort factor for the patient.  My helper doctor is my GYN.  Her husband is a general surgeon and his office is next to hers.

Thanks to all for your suggestions so far (I know I will have more questions).  I have my airline tickets - first class for comfort.  Cherrie's guidance helped with the pre-op stuff - I am definitely spending the last night in Covington near Fairway away from the grand temptation of mouthwatering biscuits in the Quarter.

I spoke with a friend who had the surgery 6 years ago in Charleston.  She had quite a few wound healing issues, but assured me that dispite the problems and that she never went on to Stage 2, she never regretted having DIEP.  I am so excited to finally get rid of these cold implants!!! 

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

Marty... Dr Dellacroce does not require a helper doctor... I think that is just Dr Massey.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2012

Dr Sullivan didn't require a helper doctor either.  I had one but just because my local PS wanted to follow me still :).

• Kd6blk
    Kd6blk Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2012

While the food is good in New Orleans I am sure...I keep reading about all these plans...I found that the night before surgery I wanted to celebrate like the last supper...haha...well last with the old boobs. When my food was presented my appetite was gone. This may not be universal but the way I have coped was to not think much about things in general and the night before it was hard to ignore. You go so many days without food or on liquid diet after surgery that even when I could eat it, it was not so exciting..it took a few weeks to want anything interesting. Did anyone else experience this? I did not really want rich or spicey food and I think it is pretty normal after such a fast that your stomach may not like it...

Lisa

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited September 2012

Dr. Sullivan didn't require a helper doctor, but I contacted my local PS to talk about wound debridement. I wanted to know his experience with the local hospital's wound care center, and he said he uses them for patients and the wound care center uses him as well if a patient needs surgical closure instead of minor scalpel debridement. Well, Dr. S or his nurse set up an appointment with the wound care center (because a referral is required), and I have been there 3 times, at 6, 7, and now 8 weeks post-DIEP with necrosis on my abdominal incision. The wound care doctor got insurance approval for me to have hyperbaric oxygen therapy, but it turns out that I will not need it, because finally the abdominal wound is healing well. It may take at least 3 more weeks to close, though. This will be fixed up later at stage 2.

Sorry to hear about all the aspirations needed. I skipped that one, but my wound problem seems to go on and on. I'm in Florida and can't get in the pool for water aerobics.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2012

Lisa --

Yeah, I hear you on the appetite. I didn't have much before the Stage 1 or Stage 2 surgery, but forced myself to take in at least the minimums. After surgery, had about zip appetite and ended up losing quite a bit of weight that I have kept off and then lost some more -- I needed it! When my appetite finally did come back -- whew!! I wanted hot and spicey and pickled and nothing bland! Go figure! :-)

Maggie

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited September 2012

Cider - Think about how lucky we are to have dedicated surgeons that want to be sure that our breasts turn out right! Many DIEP surgeons don't do stage II's and just would have recommended aspiration. It's hard to be grateful when faced with adversity but it's such a good thing that these cells were found now. Sending you positive thoughts while your await your next treatment plan.

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2012

Hi Harmony Sun - I hope the aspiration goes/went smoothly for you.  I was a little nervous for the first one, but truly it was a breeze and did not hurt even a little bit.  I worked my a** off (pardon the horrible pun) with compression because I was determined to get rid of the seroma so I could start running again.  It took about six weeks but I did get rid of it. I had all the aspirations done at an interventional radiology place and I thought they took very good care of me.  I did not have any infections related to the aspirations, snd yes, the shark bites came back with the aspirations.  Best of luck - I hope your seroma is less persistent than mine, but even if it is, don't lose heart!  It will go away eventually in most cases.

Cider, I am so sorry this freakish thing has happened.  Thank God for Dr. Stolier-  he is an exceptional doctor and human being.  I had a suspicious MRI right before surgery and had several long phone conversations with him about options.  He was so kind and spent a lot of time with me.  I hope he will be great guide for you in resolving this weird thing.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2012

Hmm Cider. I am sure this is upsetting. How strange. I do love Dr. Stollier. He is the best. I am so glad these cells were DCIS and not IDC or something invasive. Let us know what happens next. 

Looks like Rawlins had her surgery today, and several upcoming. Thinking of you all!

Sept 12 - Rawlins - 

Sept 13 - Patience62 -  Stage 1 bilateral mastectomy with hip flaps or sgap, with Dr. M. 

Sept 13 - Cheryl (from NJ) - Stage 2 with Dr D., SCSH. 

Sept 14  - DsnyDawn - Stage II,  Dr. D., NOLA.  

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

Rawlins (Teresa)... Thinking of you today... and busy days ahead... Dawn, Cheryl and "Patience" Good luck!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2012

Thinking positive thoughts for all the Nola girls this week. My prayers have you in them. Cider-I am sorry you have to go through this trying time. The waiting is difficult. Thank goodness they found this.

My helper doctor is my local PA. She coordinates all my pre-ops and is very interested With this whole process. I am glad To have her. I already set up an appointment with her a few days after I return from stage 1.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited September 2012

ladies, I would love some opinions...I emailed Celeste Bourdonnay from the Center about scheduling and casually mentioned that I hoped that everyone had made it through the hurricane ok. It turns out, everyone but her :(

Sadly, she and her family lost their home and all of their possessions. Apparently there is no option for the home except demolition. I was trying to think of something to send her, perhaps flowers, or maybe even aTarget gift card? Would you feel uncomfortable receiving a gift card if you'd lost your home? I have no idea what they're financial situation is -- I'm sure there's insurance and FEMA relief, but I imagine they're having to buy so many things right now. I don't want it to seem like charity, just a kind jesture.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited September 2012

Jenifer - I think that is such a lovely gesture. I have no doubt that it would be well received. What a great idea!

Cider and all the ladies in NOLA or preparing to be in NOLa soon - I'm following your stories and sending prayers!

Cherrie - I hope to be in touch soon. We just got a new puppy and our home has turned upside down! So glad you are doing better.

(((hugs))) to everyone!