Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2012

Kerry... Just read your post... Your typo "betadine on your brain" made me chuckle.

Continue to use betadine on breast drain sites til the hole closes up.

I didn't have extra skin under arm, but rather a fattiness.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2012

Kerry, I am still in the bra 24/7, too. I think you continue to paint the drain sites as long as they are still open.

I think that if you don't have to work, DON'T. I began working from home 2 weeks after my mastectomy last year, and I still regret it. I realize now that I just should have just rested. For me, I just felt that once I started, I couldn't stop working. This time, I'm taking 6-8 weeks. I just want to recover and for this flap to stay healthy, so I can be ready for Stage 2.

Happy Restful Healing,

TTay

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2012

Ttay- thanks for the advice. I feared the same...once I started I can't stop. I want this to be a very Good recovery.  I have to keep telling myself to stay away.

Bdavis- after seeing the typo ...guess this is more of a reason to stay away from work right now huh? LOL!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited October 2012

Yes, recover full time as long as you can! Once people see you back at normal life, there is no going back.

Betsy, the lump is nothing? Wow, this fascinates me. I have spent so much time worrying about this ab swelling. I wonder what they will tell me.

Good luck everyone!

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2012

Ttay & KerryA - I quit using the betadine on my breast sites a few days after the drains were removed.  I wore the bra from the center 24/7 for a couple of weeks.  I found a bra that was wireless that I wore during the day once I started feeling better.  I wore the center bra at night for quite awhile.  I liked the support it gave.

Chelle - prior to your surgery, did you still have some tightness/pain at the hip flap sight.  I still have that as well as bruising on one side.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited October 2012

Hey Ksue

Yes I did and I had small seromas on each side too.

Hugs!!!!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2012

There's no way I can work until I'm off the dilaudid!  I'm not much at critical thinking or following a conversation right now.  :)

I'm heading home tomorrow.  Stage 2 has been much easier to deal with than Stage 1.  I can already see noticeable improvement on Day 3 post-op.  My worst pain has been from the lipo in my thighs and under my armpits. I am already enjoying my new C cups and don't think I'll miss the F cups. They are cute!  My husband, daughter, and I drove to the Barataria Preserve today and did a slow 2-mile walk along the bayou.  We saw alligators!  We were all pretty thrilled.  I am whooped, but it was nice to get some fresh air especially before travelling tomorrow.  Best wishes to all that are recovering and those that are preparing for surgery.  

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2012

So my stage 2 is Dec 14 we were thinking of going to Cancun or Cabo on Dec 22 so 8 days after surgery. I know I can't swim etc we were in Dominican Republic a week after a failed implant exchange surgery. Am I crazy to think I can do this? My husband is a nurse so I have that going for me....

I am thinking I am likely to have a similar amount of work as but no plication just a small lift/tuck lipo touch ups....

Any comments, good or bad greatly appreciated. I am mostly concerned about having to go to a Mexican hospital if there is a problem we can't handle....

Les

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2012

Tigsun,I'm hosting the "Pure Romance" party both nights of the Conference in my suite. I'll look forward to seeing you if you can stop by .. It gets crazy between sessions and I'm bringing my daughter this year.

On another note.. I had to put my sweet springer spaniel to sleep today. I had her for 13 years as well as her litter mate (for 9). Terribly sad and missing her sweet nuzzling tonight.

Best wishes to all current and former Nola gals!

Marcia

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2012

I'm having stage 1 with dr. Sullivan 11/6.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2012

((Marcia))

I'm so sorry about Tinkerbell. I know how hard this is for you.

Eve

• ttay
    edited October 2012

Hi Pamela. Are you having DIEP or SGAP?

• ttay
    edited October 2012

Soccermom: I'm so sorry about your doggie.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2012

Soccermom -- so sorry about your loss. I think that 2 of the greatest gifts God gave us was dogs and horses. Have you ever read the poem "The Rainbow Bridge" about pet loss? I can post or PM it to you.

Pamela44 -- I will be in NOLA for 11/6 surgery with Dr. D. Let's connect!

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

Lesleyanne... IMO, I think that is to soon. You have no way of knowing how you will feel. For me, stage II was more painful, all over sore... It did subside quickly, but I think 8 days is too soon... Not to mention the fact that you'll have lifting restrictions... Traveling opens a door for lifting something in error. I would think it much more relaxing overall to wait... My opinion of course.

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2012

Thanks Bdavis I can always count on you!!!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2012

Oh Marcia, I'm so sorry about your dog...what a loss...hugs...

I lost my 17 year old cat 2 days before my stage 1 surgery last year - I was 34 so I had her half my life - still miss her every day :-(

I'm so excited to finally meet you in person and to also meet your daughter - so honored that you signed up for one of my yoga sessions - can't wait!  It's so close...do tell, what is the "Pure Romance" party?

Theresa - so excited to see you!  My mother is coming as well - she is now leading the FORCE chapter in north Jersey and she will be super excited to see you again too!  My father is almost coming and participating on the BRCA men's panel and hosting some genealogy sessions - it's a family affair!

Kbodie and Ksue - yay see you there too - so great to finally meet people after so much time on the boards.  I love it!

Leslieanne - I agree with Betsy, this seems way too soon to me to travel based on my experience with 3 surgeries.  Even my last one which was just 1 hour and only ab revision, no lipo and VERY minor I was feeling cruddy for about 2 weeks from the anesthesia and I could not have seen travelling so soon.  Too bad though, Cabo and Cancun are both great.  I'm going to Cancun in January and you bet I'll be rockin' a bikini to show off my newly bloat-free abs :-)

Thinking of all the ladies healing and everyone on deck.  Big hugs!

• Soccermom4force
    edited October 2012

Thank you to those who stated their condolences on my Tinkers passing..

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2012

Marcia,  Sorry for your loss, dogs are such good companions. Maybe your Tinkers will say a doggie "Hello" to my Davy and Bella.  Peace, T

• Soccermom4force
    edited October 2012

Dana and Sisters,Here's an article about "pure Romance"...

http://pureromance.com/docs/default-document-library/2011/10/24/Detroit Free Press 10.23.pdf?Status=Master

They donate a portion of their proceeds to FORCE during the Conference. Many products are approved for woman who have concerns about toxic chemical and their effect on recurrences.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2012

Ttay, I am doing Deip. 

• ttay
    edited October 2012

Just curious....Anyone attending the Center's Bra Day?

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

Marcia- So sorry to hear about your dog. I believe there is a place in heaven for animals too like Noah's Ark with all the animals.

Dana- I think it is so great you are going to the Force Conference with some of the other women here too. Thanks for your help before my Stage 1..you are right it is better on the other side.

I have been seeing a counselor before learning my genetic test results and just met with her for the first time since my Stage 1. I think it a really helpful thing to do to help us get through this journey. Helpful to get an outsider's perspective and safe place to talk out your feelings. I was telling her and my husband that I feel inspired to do something positive after completing this process. Not sure what it is yet but feeling very optimistic. Not sure if any of you have experienced is or if its just a fleeing moment. I want to take this experience and turn it into a positive somehow... 

Decided to opt out of working from home. Thank you for your honest feedback. Only one chance at recovery. I also remember reading about week 3 being a bit tough which is next week so I don't want to jump into work and realized I couldn't take it back. 

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

ttay.. The Center has 2 huge banners hanging on the building for BRA day. I took a couple of pictures. The Flash Mob should be great.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2012
    will this be a "flashing" flash mob...?  Wink
  • MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2012

I have enjoyed the conversations about the FORCE conference.  What a very important way to share information.  I envy your journey.   I will be sending info to my cousin as his sister died of BC the same year I had my bi-laterals.  Genetic testing wasn't an option then.  Even though we are the only two in our family I will encourage genetic testing for his daughter since we are from a high risk ethnic group.

Now for my crazy question - when they say no nail polish for surgery, do they mean fingers and toes or fingers only?  Just trying to plan ahead.

Special hugs to those who have lost their pets, especially so close to surgery.  My dogs were all that got me through (I wasn't married at the time).  (Okay, gotta give my friends some credit, too.Kiss)

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

Marty... they actually mean one finger... like your index finger. Its so they can put the oxygen clip on your finger and get an accurate reading.

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

Marty- They told me I could wear a light color on the nails. I did a clear, nude pink which was very light. They had no problem using the oxygen clip to get readings. Toenails are okay to do any color. During one of the calls with nurse I asked this question.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited October 2012

Hey there ladies

I'd love to get video of the flash mob. I heard Dr. D was going to be involved in it.

I wore a light pink on my nails and it was ok.

I wish I could go to the conference this year. It looks like it's going to be great!! Genetic testing is SO important & it can save lives. I know my life changed when I found out I was BRCA+
    I plan to be there next year!!

@ Kerry, I felt the same way. I am working on paying it forward. I know I will be able to do more once I am healed and back on my feet again. Hope you are doing well and just take it easy. I worked from home and I regretted it. HUGS

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2012

Thanks for the "nail" advice!  I am one month out and am working out my schedule with my mani/pedi bestie.