Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2012

Kerry... the line is probably from the bra and edema... I wouldn't worry about it now.

Maggie.. When Vicky called to say I'd need to pay for the elbows and knees, I told her (and Candy) that Dr D had said back when I first met him that he didn't charge for that stuff... In the end, they went off to talk with Jeanine, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Knees and elbows are not a deal breaker for me... but I just won't do those areas if he doesn't throw them in.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2012

Bdavis- thank you for the advice. Hope you get some info back this next week from the Center.

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

oops Kerry.. I said I "would" worry about it... meant to say "wouldn't".. I have since corrected what I wrote.

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

Jane123- Hope you hear from NOLA regarding your Stage 2. Will be thinking of you!

Today I discovered one of my hip drains wasn't draining or creating suction. Found out I had a small hole in the drain lining/tube. Not quite sure how that happened. Laura said to cut the lining above the hole and reattach the lining to the drain bulb. Hopefully that will work. Anyone had this happen?

Been trying to walk as much as I can but notice it creates some add'l swelling in my breasts. Trying to keep moving yet don't want to create more swelling either. 

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited October 2012

Hi everyone... Jenlee, LAstar and KerryA, it's been so good to follow your surgeries and recoveries. Thanks so much for sharing. Wishing you each a healing and peaceful recovery! Nordy!! What incredible news!! Congrats!

Soooo... my second stage is one week from Wednesday. YIKES! These last couple of months I really haven't given this surgery much thought or attention. It might be because I feel really good right now and I initially thought this surgery was not a "big deal"... strange, I know. I've been following the NOLA comments here, but I'm not feeling SUPER prepared! And I realize I have a ton of questions. So. Here goes:

- Is it a given that I'll have drains coming out of stage 2? And if not, what are the circumstances that would result in drains?

- I don't have any help lined up (yet?) with my four year old, or my dog for that matter, for once I return home from NOLA. Do you think I'll need it? In other words, will I have the energy and physical ability to supervise my kid and my pup? (I don't think I'm having anything "big" done with this surgery - just lipo on hips/thighs and fat grafting to the breasts...)

- I haven't ordered a Marena yet but plan to tonight. Since this is the garment that you wear 24/7 for 6-8 weeks (I think?) Did most of you order two? How often did you wash them?

Hmm... I know there's more, but I can't remember. Thanks, ladies!! Peace, Jen

-  

• Esmerelda
    edited October 2012

Oops... I remembered another one. I've read about a lot of ladies going off of Tamoxifen for their surgeries, but when I spoke with the Center, they said it's my decision. I find this a little strange... has anyone else gone off of it or stayed on? What informed your decision? Thanks!!

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

Jen... you will probably have drains... I think I have only heard of one person who didn't... so I think I would wait til you get home to order the Marena so you get the right size... and talk with them on the phone instead of using the online sizing guide... It was way off for me.

I definitely had more energy post stage II... but I was very very sore for about a week.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited October 2012

Hi Jen,  Dr. Massey has us stop Tamoxifen three weeks prior to three weeks after surgery.  I had four drains after stage 2 but didn't have them very long.  I didn't have lipo.....sharkbites and scar and breast revisions.  You'll do great. Jamie

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2012

Esmerelda, the drains are only in for a week or two.  I lost 2 today!  I'm 10 days post-op and mine were supposed to stay in longer to hopefully take care of the hardness and swelling I've had in one breast for months.  I was glad that my husband was able to take care of my 4-year old and dog since there is a 10-lb lifting restriction for the 1st week and I was tired.  I could have kept them both alive if I had to though.  Laughing  I didn't put a lot of thought into my Stage 2 surgery either -- I think it's better that way!  They take such good care of us at SCSH, and we know not to overpack this time!

Is the Marena necessary?  I had some lipo on my hips and thighs -- do I need to buy one?

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2012

Most people do have drains after stage 2. I actually had more drains after my stage 2 than for my first. For stage 2 I came home with 6 drains BUT my 2nd was more extensive than most due to me being a weight loss surgery patient and I had more stuff for Dr. Trahan to correct. I didn't need to buy a compression garment because I woke up in one after surgery and I asked for another one before I left the hospital. The sizes are really screwy too. I am a size 12 but the compression garment I am in is a XXXL...I almost died when I saw size on the tag!!!!!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited October 2012

Boy Jen, I'm glad you asked these questions!  My surgery(Stage 2) is less than 2 weeks away and I haven't thought much about it either.  I did my pre-op w/ The Center today and I think that's when it hit me!  Guess I'd better start making a list of things to pack.  So, drains are going to be a part of this recovery too---I really was hoping this wasn't going to happen!  UGH!!!!   Also, today I was thinking I should pre order some Marina garments so bdavis, thank you for your advice to wait until we get home and to speak to them directly for sizing.  I'm wondering , for post-op pain control, do you have a PCA when you arrive to your room from the OR or is it oral pain meds?  Dr Massey does not do a post-op check so we plan to stay around NOLA for a few days just in case there are any problems.  Kind of wish she did a check before we leave.

Good luck Jen w/ your surgery and let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it!

HUGS!       Katiejane

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

LAstar- Congrats on losing 2 drains! Do you have hip drains as well after Stage 2, and/or still have them yet? How long did you take off work?

Looks like Gmp300 is up tomorrow. Sending her positive thoughts. We will be thinking of you.

• lastar
    edited October 2012

I am on Day 10 post-Stage 2. I had two breast drains and two hip drains.  Strangely, I lost a breast drain and a hip drain on my right side today.  They had never done much.  My left side is still in.  I told my work folks two weeks, but I am going to try to get a little bit done this week to get a head-start.  I haven't had any pain meds in about 24 hours, but I still need to go lie down once in a while.  

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited October 2012

Esmeralda-I don't recall having any drains after stage 2. I never purchased a marena garment either. I just wore spanx I purchased at target after for a little bit.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited October 2012

KerryA, Esmerelda and Katiejane-  Stopped Tamox 3 weeks before and after.  Had two hip drains after stage 2 for four weeks, did not need help like I did after stage one, sore but more energy and less limitations, I requested a post op from Marga, not necessary but I feel better having one.

Best of luck gmp!

• Esmerelda
    edited October 2012

Thanks, everyone. You've definitely helped put my worries to rest. LAstar, you are totally right - once I'm there I know I'll feel put at ease by how amazing the med staff is at NOLA. Betsy, I'm following your advice on waiting to buy the marena. Adey, I've stopped tamoxifen today - one week before surgery. Again, it feels a bit weird that Dr. D doesn't have a standard on this. ?

Gmp300 good luck! We are thinking of you! Jane123, any updates?

Much love and gratitude to you ladies!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited October 2012

How does everyone feel about fat grafting?  What is the general consensus.  I have read in other sites about not much remaining.....maybe that is operator error.  I had my stage two in Charleston about 2 weeks ago.  I still feel some tweeking may be in order.  I did not have any lipo due to bleeding.  I just don't know if I should have the larger one reduced or try the added fat approach to the smaller one.  They aren't big but they are pretty cute.  Thanks so much for any advice it will be much appreciated.

You are so right Jen...when you get to Nola you will relax and let them take care of you.  I really missed NOLA while in Charleston.  Jamie 

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited October 2012

Hi Ladies, I have Dr. S and wasn't told to stop Tamoxifen either, so I didn't -- I'm afraid to miss even one dose!

Many thanks to those who suggested the Marenas!  I ordered mine when I got home... they did lipo because they needed some fat to contour my breasts -- had almost decided not to get lipo because of fear of loose skin & lumpiness, but he talked me into it:)   Also, since my stage 1 was a DIEP and we agreed I needed scar revision, it was a pretty big surgery for stage 2.  My entire core (abdomen, waist, hips, "ken" area, and even low back) is very swollen.  I wasn't getting adequate compression from any of the garments they gave me, so I decided it's worth the $$ after all of this time, effort and money I've invested in this journey.  

I got two Marenas but already know I will be getting 2 more.   I'm germaphobe am washing them daily -- and have been sleeping in one and wearing the other one during the day and am afraid I might be afraid to keep up with the wash.  A good reason to order when you get home is that you might to prefer to use your post surgery measurements. Apparently, I retain a LOT of water after surgery, even though my drain output wasn't high and I pulled my last drain. -- my waist & hip measurements are (temporarily?) MUCH larger than normal. Plus I'm fairly sore (not using pain meds, need to drive and too much to get done) and it's good to have a tiny bit of room to stuff in some ABD pads.  When this is all over (waiting in case I have a stage 2b), i hope I can find someone who wants all of these garments.

BTW, I had rented a lift recliner for stage 1 and LOVED it for my recovery -- preventing me from turning over, keeping my breasts elevate, keeping swollen feet elevated, etc.  But the rental was fairly expensive our area.  It would have been more cost effective to buy a really nice one, but we don't really have a good place for it.  I got a very nice zero-gravity outdoor lounge chair on-line and have been sleeping in that off and on and it's working well.  (some of the reviews were from people who also slept in them due to medical issues).  I'll put it out on the deck or in the garage when I'm done with it.  

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2012

Jen,  Still waiting for insurance approval for stage 2.  Time is getting tight but they told me not to fret.  Am supposed to get a phone call today.  Thank you for asking.  Peace, Tamara

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2012

I had Dr. D. and was not told to stop Tamoxifen, but my Oncologist suggested I stop it for a week prior and a week after. I had heard that Dr. Massey did three weeks on either end, so I decided to do 2 weeks before and 2 after for each surgery. Somehow it made sense to me!

Teddy, I had to crack up at your shock at the compression sizes. XXXL and all that. I remember thinking, oh great, I had lipo and now I'm bigger than I ever was in my life. But the good news is, it all works out in the end!

Good luck to GMP300 today!!

Oct 16 - Gmp300 - Stage 2 with Dr D., NOLA 

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited October 2012

My microsurgeon (Dr.Kline) has his patients stop tamoxifen two weeks before and two after his surgeries.

My radiation oncologist has her patients stop tamoxifen for the entire length of radiation therapy not to be resumed until two weeks after rads end.

So many different doctor opinions!

• lastar
    edited October 2012

Wow - I'm surprised to see that so many women with bmx are taking tamoxifen. I thought it was used to protect the unaffected breast but not needed for bmx. I am not seeing a MO until December, but maybe it will be recommended for me as well?

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2012

Hello all....on the countdown clock now...10 days til I leave for NOLA.  We are seriously debating driving there.  It is a 12 hour trip and not about the cost as I have free tix on any airline but more about my LE and comfort.  I just got back from Mexico on a girls trip and my arm was aweful on the plane...super painful.  So maybe driving is a good option???  any imput or feedback would be awesome.  8 hours travel from flying and layovers or 12 hrs over a couple of days taking our own sweet time in the car ( just bought it last week so new and comfy!!!)  Any thoughts?

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

Leigh Ann... I asked my MO about the BMX and Tamoxifen and his response is about distant recurrance. If even one cell escaped chemo, the tamoxifen would suffocate it, and I am very ER+ (98%), so I went with it.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited October 2012

Betsy~ What was your Oncotype score?

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

My MO didn't order the test. He said I was having chemo no matter what.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2012

Because tamoxifen increases the risk of blood clots my MO recommended stopping tamoxifen before surgery and for a while afterwards.  She also told me to stop taking it before a 12 hour plane flight sitting in coach.   

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited October 2012

I had Dr. D he told me to stop the tamoxifen prior to my surgery and 3 weeks after, my oncologist said I could take through surgery. I stopped, and went back on after the 3 weeks.

• Esmerelda
    edited October 2012

My onco score is 15, which means i have a 10% chance of a distant recurrance during the next the next 10 years. Betsy is right in that tamoxifen is a systemic treatment, just like chemo, it treats any cancer left throughout your entire body. Since cancer cells can travel through your lymphatic and vascular system, hormonal therapy (for those who are ER+) is considered a vital tool in our arsenal.

I agree - weird there are so many different recommendations coming from our docs re: surgery and tamoxifen!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2012

It has been a while. I moved my daughter to VA and am still there helping out. Going to Cape Hatteres for a few days next week. Returning to Michigan around Halloween.

It is time to do pre-op bloodwork. Becky emailed me to say it was really going to happen this time.

I have scanned the pages of posts. Nordy, what wonderful news for you!! You have waited a long time for this. Yay!!!

Are the Marena garments for just Stage 2? Will I get what I need from hospital for the first stage? It sounds like they send you home with a lot.

Less than 4 weeks to go and hoping some of us can meet in NOLA.