Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited October 2012

KBodie-  I had no problem with insurance for stage 2B.  (Aetna)

KerryA-  After stage one I thought my boobs were huge!  Also was unsure of all the lumps and bumps.  They went down quite a bit but it takes time.  Talk about anything you need to at the post op and don't worry about offending, it's their job and I believe pleasure to get you exactly what you want if they can.  Best wishes.  (c:

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2012

I had that same bump as bdavis...it didn't hurt but if I leaned against it..it felt weird..but it didn't just pop up, it was there from stage 1...when I was getting marked for stage 2 I mentioned it and he took care of it I guess ..

I had alot of tightness through my breast into my armpit on bc side (especially after rads) since my stage 2 ,dr D removed alot of scar tissue and I am thrilled at the movement without pain or tightness (still little in armpit)...Is there anything I should be doing to avoid scar tissue???

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2012

Kerry, I just pm'd you.  My breasts were enormous (full D) after stage 1, but I liked it!  They have gone down a bunch and are my original size (C) so are a bit droopy (also original...) which will be fixed next month.  I was exhausted after stage 1 and was surprised because I am pretty healthy and independent.  I needed a lot of help with showering and getting put back together.  My breasts felt hot and sunburned, had strange thigh numbness, could not eat until I got off the meds, and was easily weepy and overwhelmed.  It all got better with time.  One day (or shower!) at a time.  Hang in there!!!  Peace, Tamara

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2012

Deno, thanks for sharing that. Interesting that lowering helped so much. Mine was lowered a lot in 2b and very happy with the incision being down so low.

Here's upcoming! 

Oct 4 -  Jenlee - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA 

Oct 5 - LAStar - Stage 2 with Dr. D., NOLA. 

Oct 5 - BDavis (Betsy) - Consult at 8:30 with Dr. D. about stage 2B (in 2013)  

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2012

Wishing all you gals headed to NOLA the very best and cannot wait to hear about your results!!!

Regards

Lesley

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2012

AnnAlive- Thank you for the link to Michael Cohen's information.  This is the same Michael Cohen who worked with Dr. Nahabedian when I had two revision surgeries there - this is a small world.   Since I had so many problems with my initial stage I DIEP done in suburban Maryland and Dr. Cohen was a resident at the time - I allowed him to observe my surgery but crossed out the consent allowing him to participate.  I thought he was very personable and supportative and, importantly for me, VERY honest with me.  I thought he was the most helpful residents I had ever dealt with- really impressive.   (In addition to revision surgeries I discussed the possibility of having a prophylactic mastectomy and GAP reconstruction on the other side with him- which I went on to do at NOLA.)   I really liked  him.  Looks like he went on to do a fellowship with Bernard Chang at Mercy (Maryland) and then to NOLA.  Good for him!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2012

Thank you all.  Tamara- it was so nice talking with you. Very comforting and reassuring! I am used to being very independent as it sounds like many of you are too so it is a big wake up call. Patience is a virtue and focus on taking things one day at a time. Blessed to have good family, friends, and support from you all here!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2012

Mo says the lung nodule is most def scar tissue from rads.  check again in 3 months to be sure  whew...now focusing on tomorrow's pre op tests for DR M and once cleared i am  making my arrangements for NOLA

Maggie 

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited October 2012

Kerry so glad to see you on here. I remember those first few weeks and it is a big wake up call. I know it's hard and I still have to say it to myself, but you have to be patient with yourself. I'm glad Tamara made you feel better and it still amazes me how supportive everyone is on this thread.

I had a better day today, but still taking things slow. I started taking iron pills which helped as my blood levels are low again.

I got the smaller size girdle to wear and I need to go look for some spanx or equiv. to start wearing after this weekend. Not sure what to buy though plus I need some new bras :)

Oh Kerry, I wanted to be smaller than I was when I started this, but after stage 1, I was bigger.  I was told it is so much easier for the doctors to make them smaller at stage 2 than to make them bigger.

Jenlee & LAstar, you are both in my thoughts and prayers!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2012

Yay Maggie! It is so scary to go through that. I am happy you found this out before surgery. It would have saved me money and I would be 6 weeks out now if I had known. I am so happy for you.

Jenlee and LAStar- thinking of you this week.

Question- if I go with a diep and get size B and lose 20 pounds will my new boobs get smaller? I am a C now, but a good 20 over where I should be.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2012

Not only am I going to the FORCE conference, I'm teaching 3 yoga class there!  Anyone else going?

My insurance was no issue for 2b - I paid a relatively small amount out of pocket - I think $300

• chellehump
    edited October 2012

I really wish I could go to the conference this year, but with the two surgeries within the past few months, there is no way :( That's great you are teaching yoga classes there :) It sounds like the conference is going to be fabulous this year!!

I have every intention and will do everything possible to be there next year!!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited October 2012

Cherrie~

That's a good question.  I'm looking forward to responses as well.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2012

Kerry... It is quite normal to want everything perfect and have concerns... but with surgery just a week ago you have a LONG way to go before you can have any real sense of what your breasts will look like. You are very swollen I am sure. I know I was. I had surgery in July and for at least a few weeks I felt like I had bowling balls on my chest. Not only does that feeling go away, but the look changes as well... I wouldn't get into what will be done at stage II too much with Dr D because there is really no way for him to know until you are ready... And yes, my size went down and I am back in my 36C bras.

• Jane123
    edited October 2012
    I think of stage 1 as the rough-in and stage 2 as finish carpentry!  Happy to talk with you, KerrySmile.  Dana, Marcia, (& others) were huge helps for me on the phone.  Plus, Betsy, Need2, Spring, and Nordy came through on-line to answer many questions.  Now I am learning through the newer ladies since you are going through stage 2 before me.  Thanks to you all.
  • cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited October 2012

The docs say, yes, if you lose weight overall, you lose it in the breasts as well. I did lose 25 lb and my breast size stayed the same. Got 25 to go. I suspect this 25 will affect my cup size.

• Cherrie
    edited October 2012

Thanks Cider8. I am on the borderline for a DIEP/Stacked DIEP. With a DIEP I will go down a size. If I lose weight I don't want tobe an A. I am still on the fence with what to do. I have until the day of my surgery. Good job on losing weight. It is so hard to do.

Another question- if I can only get a size B from a DIEP will I have a harder time with my abdomen because there isn't a lot there?? (skin). I hear about the tightness, etc.

Anxious to hear from our girls who are there now. I follow what everyone has to say. (((((hugs)))))).

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited October 2012

Besa -- good to hear that another very talented surgeon has joined the team, and that you were impressed with him earlier.

Cherrie, Cider8 -- I'm still wondering the same thing. I want to lose 10+ lbs before stage 2, but will it make the breasts smaller? They are already reduced after swelling went down, since I am 11 weeks post-DIEP. I'm not doing very well at losing that weight, though -- losing and regaining the same couple of pounds. Dr. S had planned a stacked DIEP on the cancer side, but it turned out that I didn't have adequate vessels for it (op report called the vessels "pathetic" !) so I had a regular DIEP on both sides. Even though Dr. S couldn't do the stacked DIEP, that flap turned out to be asymmetrically huge and had a necrotic corner that he reduced a week later in a "quick" outpatient "1b" surgery.

Update on my abdominal wound that had been necrotic: I saw the wound care doc yesterday for the last time! The wound finally closed at almost 11 weeks. Wound Care Center is a good place to go for sharp debridement and follow-up with debridement ointments. I didn't end up needing hyperbaric oxygen treatment that they suggested, nor a wound vac.

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2012

Hi, all. It has been awhile since I posted. I can't believe Chelle and Jenlee are done/doing stage 2. Way to go. Seems like we just did Stage 1! Chelle I am following you and the other stage 2 folks closely. I am trying to decide on when to do stage 2. I am definitely waiting until next year so will have to meet deductible again. I am thinking about March but have to be back to work in April so if more recovery time is needed will wait til June.

KBodie and denouement, I am attending the FORCE conference. Looking forward to it.

Kerry, I thought my breast were too big after stage 1 but after the swelling went down, I liked the size.

When you all refer to dog ears, do you mean the puckered area on the hips where the drains were? I have one side that is puckered and one that is not.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2012

I think the dog ears are the end of the incisions that poke out and are pointy. I developed one on my breast incision - charming!

Thanks for the good wishes! It's hard to stay in denial about surgery with all the well-wishing! I'm on a train to nola with my family and enjoying the countryside. Pre-op tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing what dr d has to say about my hard breast.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2012

ksue - yay see you soon at the conference!

FYI - I lost 20 pounds since my stage 2 and my cup size did not go down at all.  In fact I would say my chest looks bigger and the rest of my around it is a bit smaller - YMMV

I don't want to deter anyone from DIEP because of the ab tightness I had - I really think if I did not have a hyst at stage 2 and Dr. D was able to get in and clean up my ab scar at that time that would not have needed a 2b...but I did not know this at the time and was trying to avoid another surgery - oh well!  :-)

• Jane123
    edited October 2012

Dana,  Happy you are doing well.  What is YMMV?  I am not so lingo savvy!  I hope to make it to a FORCE conference in the next year or two but not this year due to surgery expenses.  Wish I could!  It would be fun to meet you and the other ladies I have communicated with.  

Speaking of which,  Jen/Es:  How are you?? 

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

NOLA bound tomorrow!!!!

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

I just read Dr Cohen's bio... Its a small world as I had also looked going to see Dr Bernard Chang at Mercy before I chose NOLA.. It was between NOLA, Massey, Chang and Allen. His resume is impressive. And if the docs have brought him in, he must be good, right?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2012

My cup size seems to change slightly when i loose weight.

Yay Maggie!! So glad to hear that!!!

Safe travels Betsy and all going to NOLA!! 

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2012

Had post- op today.  Breast drains removed and no pain! Dr. D was great and Dr. Stolier came in to see me as well. They made me feel sooo good! Dr. Stolier called couple days ago and pathology report was all clear. Was have a bad day when he called so it was nice to see him and felt much better. Nurse brought in CTA scan and told me they found a legion on my uterus. Of course a bit freaked out at first but everyone said not to worry- just to mention to PCP when I get home but no rush. Dr. D did not mention it just the nurse. Said everything shows up on those scans. Definitely still going to check into when I get home though. 

Leave tomorrow late morning. Ready to get home and enjoy my own bed.

Got to meet Jenlee today too. It was nice to meet and chat with you. Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking and praying for you!

Center is very busy right now. One of the nurse was telling us as everyone is trying to get in before year end due to insurance. 13 beds were filled last week when I was there. Can't believe its already been a week since my surgery. Showering much easier today. Took everyone's tips. Thank you!

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2012

hello awesome gals.....jenlee, leigh ann, and betsy.....good luck on all....1 more step to being done....yay!....:))

to those that are just out of surgery.....hang in there....it will definitely get better....i am 12 weeks out of stage 1 bilat sgap and today had awesome workout.....wasnt that long ago that i felt like i couldnt do anything...so tired and sore and kinda down.....it gets better gals!....let your body rest....walk....and rest some more....dont try to do too much too soon....it will be worth it...:))

• chellehump
    edited October 2012

Good luck tomorrow Jenlee!!

Kerry, Yay on the clean path report and I am glad you are feeling a bit better and are headed home tomorrow. I was so glad to be home and sleep/recover in my own bed :)

plication....ugh!! That's about all I can say about this right now. Hoping this gets better. I did more today, but I am bloated tonight. Is there anything I can do or not do? I know my abdomen was a mess so I am hoping this all works in my favor :)

• bdavis
    edited October 2012

For what its worth, I didn't have plication, but still got the bloat.. and almost a year out from stage II, still get it.

• Cherrie
    edited October 2012

(((((hugs))))) to all of you in NOLA at this time. We are all thinking of you.