Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2012

We rented a car for a few days for stage 2. We were able to go out of town to Barataria National Preserve and my husband went out with my daughter for groceries & little trips. We were staying with a friend in Metairie & wanted a little more freedom. We used the car service for airport shuttling, which was very easy for the post-op departure.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2012

2 weeks today...the countdown begins...that is if the hospital where I had my pre op tests done ever releases the results to DR M...ERRRRR!!!  Starting to think of everything I need to get done before we leave in 10 days.  We have decided to drive the 11 hours and not fly as the nearest airport with a direct flight is an hr and a half away.  My Le in the left side is also yucky when I fly so will just take lots of walking breaks to get there over 2 days and however many it takes to get me home.  Breathe Breathe.  It helps so much to read what you ladies experienced in the recovery and after math.  Thank you so much

Maggie

• julianna51
    julianna51 Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2012

Hello all,

I've tried searching and found lots of posts but without reading the whole thread I'm not sure I can get the full picture.   The full picture of what...you ask?  

Plication.  I need to know the down and dirty, the recovery, the discomfort, the benefits.   I'm scheduled for my Phase II surgery next month (not at NOLA) and my PS has suggested the plication to help resolve the major bloating I have been experiencing.  I'm only out 4 months from phase 1 but surely this bloating should be better by now?   I'm all for going for the plication but what kind of recovery am I looking at?  And, will it really make a difference?

Thank you all for any responses!

Juls

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2012

Geralyn- Glad to hear all went well. Wish you a smooth recovery and happy healing!

Jen- We also rented a car, for my Stage 1 and plan do to so for Stage 2. We rented out a place (for Stage 1) so there was no parking fees. We enjoyed the freedom of getting to go around as we wanted. I do agree however with Bdavis about the parking situation in the Quarter. For Stage 2, we are staying the Homewood Suites and will be paying a daily fee for parking there, and it can be tough to find parking in the Quarter when you go out. We figured it was worthwhile just to be able to get out and about. Following my Stage 1 my husband would take me out for drives which I enjoyed. We did use the Center's car service for the date of surgery, release, and then transport to the airport. My husband took the car back to the rental place and I rode with the car service when we flew home. The driver even helped to get me a wheelchair and had someone take me into the airport, to wait for my husband. I will be thinking of you next week. You will do great!

Chelle- Hope your recovery is going well and things are improving for you too.

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2012

Thanks Everyone for the well wishes!   I have been out and about NOLA since before and after surgery.  Even went on the swamp tour, I m sore of course and swollen.  I have 3 drains I am going home with, hoping not for to long.  I even got nips which is hard to believe.  Its been almost 4 years without any so that should be something to see when I can take the protectors off!   

Its late now and I am going to pack and get ready to leave in the morning.  I had a great time here all week with hubby!

Geralyn

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2012

Jen - Betsy is right on target based on our stays in NOLA for vacation.  Parking in the Quarter is quite costly.  Because my Stage 1 is at Fairway, we are renting a car.  After discharge we are staying at Homewood Suites and giving up the car the day after (I wanted to keep it one night in case DH needed to run errands for some reason).  Just that one night will cost $20-$30.  A taxi for errands would be less expensive, but I didn't want him trying to juggle me and returning the car all in one day.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2012

Spring -- Yes, I am at the Center with Dr. D. My friend will stay Tuesday night with me in the Murphy bed. However, I am flying in on Sunday, pre-ops Monday and then surgery Tues. I am thinking that I really don't need a suite at Homewood for just me on M-T. Perhaps stay at the Monteleone as I do enjoy getting out of an evening. After surgery, (W-T-F) we will need the hotel for the 2 of us. Am looking at the Country Inn & Suites just off Canal, close to the Riverwalk trolley. My friend walks with a cane, so long distances (say the Clarion into the Quarter) are out of the question. And, it is really nice to have a separate bedroom from the rest of the space so that it can be closed off when I need to sleep. Even with meds, I am a VERY light sleeper, so if she moves around at all, I won't sleep! Also checking a few apartment rentals.

GMP300 so glad to hear you are doing well!! Keep up the goood work.

For all of us heading to NOLA or surgeries elsewhere in 2 weeks ... breathe is the word!! :-)

Maggie (a different one!)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2012

Juls.. the creator of thos thread Springtime has had a lot to say about plication... she has said the recovery was long and still feels tightness... I did not have plication, but I wonder how much of the surgery has those same feelings. I am a year post stage II and still have some tighness in my abs. Even after reading what Springtime says, I would consider plication if it would resolve my bloat. I just saw Dr D and asked about my bloat and he never mentioned plication as an answer, although I didn't ask (I have since emailed the question)... So perhaps PM Springtime, but know that no matter what you do, plication or not, there will be a long period of tighness... I am in this for the long haul, and am willing to spend time in recovery if the end result is great.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2012

Off today for my weekend long AVON WALK in NYC... 40 miles in two days. I know it will be an emotional weekend. Wish me luck!! Last year I could only do 23 miles due to foot issues, and am hoping to make it the full 40 this year.

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2012

Good Luck Betsy!!!!!!   Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• celtic_antique
    edited October 2012

March on, Betsy!! Hope the weather holds, the company is good and your feet hold up. WTG ...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2012

GMP, welcome to the other side and being done!

About rental car, we did that, but we wanted to explore things outside of town. If you are staying in town, I think taxi is the way to go. Want to get out? need a rental car! Taxi is very convenient...

Plication, I had the Stage 1 bloat and tightness, and then I had plication at Stage 2 and it is a totally different thing, your muscles are involved - it's in another league altogether. I wish I skipped it as it didn't really make much of a cosmetic difference for me, and was a huge huge huge recovery for me, and my abs are still not the same - something feels off. My conclusion is, unless your PS says you will have a significantly better outcome with plication, don't do it. Another friend has also had lots of issues in terms of cramping, etc. 

• mags20487
    edited October 2012

go BETSY!!!!

maggie-2

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2012

Way to go Betsy! Look forward to hearing about the event.

This is one of the "bucket list" item that I have wanted to do with my mother sometime.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited October 2012

Betsy, you go girl! Can't wait to hear.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited October 2012

Hi Mags,  For Stage 1 we drove about 13 hours to New Orleans.  We broke it up over two days and it really was not bad.  We flew for Stage 1B but still had a two hour drive from the airport.  It's nice if you just take your time.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2012

Mags20487 - Maggie, I went to the hospital and had them give me printouts of all test results.  Then I scanned and emailed to Dr. M's office to be sure they got there.  I also now have a copy in hand (on computer) when I get to NOLA (just in case).  Even though Dr M operates at the hospital I used for the testing, I just felt more comfortable to be in control of that one thing.  

Betsy - have a wonderful walk - for all of us!

• lastar
    edited October 2012

Esmeralda, I found an online taxi fare calculator and estimated what a few of our planed trips would cost in nola. Since we were staying out of the quarter, one round-trip taxi excursion was more than the daily rental for a full-size car. I agree that car rental is probably not worth it if you are planning to stay in the quarter and not venture out much. We saw alligators swimming in in the bayou on our 2-mile hike, and it made the expense quite worth it!

• lastar
    edited October 2012

Yay, Geralyn! You sound great! I'm glad your surgery went well!

Best wishes, Betsy! I very you make it for the entire 40 miles!

• mags20487
    edited October 2012

the test have come in for DR M and Becky from the office says I am good to go!!!!  Going to leave in 9 days....omg so much to do!  We are staying at the Marriot b4 the surgery and then at the Comfort Suites in Harvey after.  I had a major meltdown this morning from all the stress of this still being up in the air because of no test results and I have a sick cat that I  could not find who ended up being in the eaves of the house and we had to remove a corner of siding to get him out.  Plus one of my business credit cards got hacked.  ERRRRR what a crappy morning.  At least now everything is resolved and I am going to try to have a stress free weekend!

Maggie-2

• celtic_antique
    edited October 2012

From Maggie (celtic) to Maggie-2

I sure hope this weekend is much better than the day today! Whew! You have more than earned that glass of wine ... or whatever!

• mags20487
    edited October 2012

thanks Maggie...we shall drink it together!

Maggie-2

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2012

That's a long walk Betsy! Report back! 

Hey, look who's up next week!!!

Oct 24 - Esmerelda - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA 

Oct 23 - Taderbug - Stage 1 Stacked DIEP, Dr. M., NOLA. 

Oct 26 - Harmonysun -  stage 1b or 2 at Fairway.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited October 2012

Oh my gosh, seeing my name on your post, Spring - is it possible I have more anxiety about this surgery then I did stage 1?? Crazy!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited October 2012

Good luck Betsy, will be thinking of you!

Esmerelda, Taderbug, and Harmonysun, safe travels to NOLA.  Keep us posted! Esmerelda, no need to be nervous.  Just like last time, I suspect once you arrive at the center, you'll feel more calm.  Because I had my abdominal incision revised due to necrotic tissue that didn't heal well, and also lowered as it was quite hight.  It felt like a whole new DIEP  for the first few days.  Betsy saw my first steps at the hospital and it wasn't pretty.  But I didn't have the luxury of a real recovery this time, stopped pain meds the day I got home and was back to my normal routine a few days later.

Some thoughts about compression...  Despite MAJOR swelling after stage 1, I didn't take compression as seriously as I could have.  I didn't have any compression garment that fit properly, so wore Spanx, with the binder at night for a week or so.  After stage 2, I was again extraordinarily swollen.  I have seen the light --  I got the Marenas and the results are amazing!  Seriously, the reduction in swelling is incredible after just a week -- my waist is measurment is about 2.5 inches less, my hip measurement is about 10 inches less.  As compared to stage 1, the bruising has practically disappeared -- areas that aren't getting compression are still extremely bruised.  I feel like I'm giving you all a commercial, but I'm truly amazed. I got the mid calf and the longer one in black, and I wear them under a long top or a skirt and they look like leggings.  I wear Spanx or black undies over them in case the wind blows my top up...  They have the bathroom opening:)   Thanks to those of you who recommended them.  As for the cost, well worth it.  We've spent so much time and energy on this, have paid for babysitters, hotels, plane tickets, etc., so a few hundred dollars more is a drop in the bucket.  Also found one on Ebay the other day that was new in the bag and very inexpensive.

• celtic_antique
    edited October 2012

I heartily second Jenlee's thoughts. I wore my garments (even when I was grinding my teeth) for a full 6-8 weeks beyond the surgery and feel that the benefit (though perhaps I went a little overboard with the time) was more than worth it. I think I am older than most here and probably not as fit, but by sticking to the regimen like religion, I think I have obtained excellent results.

Stage 1 was fine with the garment they gave me in the hospital, but had to request a smaller size about 4 weeks after surgery as outputs were way too high and I wanted those drains OUT!! Stage 2 I had a really bad skin reaction to the Veronica garment they gave me in the hospital and was advised at post-op to get Marenas ASAP once I got home. I have the above the knee Marenas, always bought 2, from Stage 1 and the mid-calf ones from Stage 2. They were a dream compared to the black DOMs from the hospital! Don't know what I will need for Stage 2 because I am not sure what "revisional" surgery Dr. D. is referring to and how involved it will be, but you can bet that whatever DOM they give me in the hospital will be switched out to a Marena as soon as I can. I consider my health and well-being worth the cost, even when the budget is so very tight. FWIW ladies and if anyone needs these (they hold up like iron) when I am finally out of them, just PM me and I will ship them to you. Do have extra DOMs, too.

• celtic_antique
    edited October 2012

Um that is Veronique ... Lord, but the little grey cells need much more coffee this AM!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited October 2012

Jen -- I PM'd you, wanting to know more about the abd revision since I had the necrotic area as well and will need a bigger revision, 2 more months until my stage 2.

Taking note of the Marena info. Does the compression help not only swelling post-lipo, but keep skin from sagging in those areas -- help draw it in?

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2012

Good morning, Ladies. Best wishes to all having surgery soon.

Marena Garments: Does insurance cover?

Jenlee: How exactly do they lower the ab scar?

• celtic_antique
    edited October 2012

Ann --

Yes and yes.