Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited October 2012

Hi everybody! Thanks for all the well-wishes these last couple of days. It's Definitely helped!

My surgery was initially scheduled for 8am yesterday, but then got bumped to noon and finally to 4pm. I guess Dr. D had a unilateral reconstruction before me that proved more time-consuming then they were expecting.

My breasts definitely feel plumped up from the fat grafting, especially in the upper quadrant area of both breasts. It will be interesting to see how much they change after swelling has gone down and if I experience any fat grafting to be absorbed by my body. Dr. D says they expect about 50-70% of fat grafting "takes" but it will take a few months before we know for sure.

I am definitely experiencing more pain this time, versus stage 1. The lipo areas are very sore and burning. And my lowered ab incision hurts more then last time too. but everyone keeps saying that although the lipo pain might feel worse then stage 1, it improves much more quickly. Thankfully!

We're being discharged in just a couple of hours. I'll send more updates as things evolve/change. Much love to you all!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2012

Lots of anniversaries here lately. Glad to hear all went well with Esmerelda. Hoping all went well for Taderbug. I see Harmonysun is up tomorrow.

Laura called today to say I could take out my hip drains. Waiting for husband to come home from work to take them out. She also said I could start to wear my own bras, comfortable ones. I put on one of bras and while it fit I spill out on one of the sides. I am sure I am still very swollen (only for 4 weeks out).  Was there any point that you started to notice swollen really went down before Stage 2? I know its too early to know if I will want a reduction at Stage 2. Any advice on bras? Are sports bras the best?

She also said I could start to introduce working out back into my routine- even running. I was kind of suprised. Glad to start moving again but going to start slowly and listening to how my body responses. When did anyone start introducing light weights again?

Looking forward to taking a bath again once the drain sites close up. Very excited about that!!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2012

KerryA, how long did you wear your nipple protectors?  I'm still swollen on the sides, but it is declining a little bit now at 2.5 weeks.  

BTW, I LOVE my cute little breasts!!!  After carrying around F cups for the last 5 years, my cute little perky C cups are the biz!  Laughing

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2012

I love mine too LA!!! I still find them perky and cute after 3+ years. Don't need heavy duty underwire bras, look great with no bra even! amazing .... 

Karry - Congrats on soon being DRAINLESS!!!

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

I am drain free! My husband was a champ. I feel very free. Can't wait for that bath in a few days!!

Esmerelda- Congrats on having Stage 2 behind you. Now you can focus on your recovery.

LAStar- I had nipple guards for about 2.5 weeks I think. Then went to wear the surgical bras that had space cut out for the nipples. I just got the ok today from Laura to start my regular bras. I made sure to ask when I could remove the nipple guards because I was ready to get rid of them.

I am thinking I will go smaller for Stage 2 with my breasts, back to B cup. Save on buying all new bras. At 4 weeks post op, I am sure they are still probably swollen and may go back to same size before Stage 2?  Thinking I'm a full C right now. I show my results to my sister and she was so impressed! She has yet to go thru genetic testing (25 yrs old) but if she finds she needs to go down this road, I hope I was able to alleviate some of her concern.

• Springtime
    edited October 2012

Kerry !!! DRAIN FREE!!! I still remember that as the most LIBERATING of feelings! Congratulations! This is a real milestone! 

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited October 2012

For those of you ladies who have already done stage 2---did you have a catheter ? Leaving Mondayfor stage 2 in NOLA on the 31st. Gettin' nervous!!! Thanks! katiejane

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2012

Hi Katiejane, I had Stage 2 and woke up with a catheter but as soon as I got up and wanted to walk to the bathroom the nurse took it out right away!  I also came home with 3 drains and I am 9 days out and 2 came out 7 days post op  and I may pull the other one by tomorrow so its not to bad!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2012

Yes, but only for a very short time.  I think they took it out the evening of my surgery.  It hard not to be nervous, byt they will take great care of you!  I'm 2.5 weeks out and am feeling worlds better, back to work, getting in some walks, doing housework.  WAY better than Stage 1! 

• Katiejane
    edited October 2012

gmp3000 & LAstar,   Thank you for getting back to me!  I thought this would probably be the case but it's just nice to know what to expect!  I know I will be in great hands but for some reason this time around I'm a bit nervous--go figure!!   Thanks again!   katiejane

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2012

How quickly time flies and how impacted we are in our lives for me to lose track of the fact that yesterday was my SECOND anniversary of diagnosis! I guess, if I am thinking that this process is taking along time it is because it is!!

Healing thoughts to my 'sisters' in NOLA!

• Springtime
    edited October 2012

After my stage 2 they took it out right away (catheter) so I could go pee, wonderful! After Stage 2 B I had some odd nurse who wanted me to keep it in - made me very unhappy. I can't remember now if I fought her to get it out or what. You don't need it in! For pete sakes...

• Esmerelda
    edited October 2012

The nurses asked me if I wanted the catheter out and I said YES PLEASE! They took it out right away, really didn't hurt at all.

But speaking of pain.... Holy cow! This liposuction pain is not for the weak! Who was it that commented about not believing that sitting on the toilet could be so painful. It's true! I find that sleeping is fine, even sitting is fine - but the transitions! Ho boy! Going from seated to standing, or laying down to sitting up - that's where the pain kicks in. It does fade as quickly as it comes, thankfully.

I just had my post-op appointment and to my surprise I teared up during it. I think just talking about the Improvements and the process of it all made me emotional. I'm also a little worried about my nipples. I had nipple-sparing BMX during stage one, and since then one nipple points up and the other sort of folds down on itself. I know Dr. D. attempted to address this with inserting a man-made material (called derma-something), but I can tell that they are still uneven. Janine says I need to wait about 9 months for everything to settle and then we'll know more. The idea of a stage 2b makes me...upset. I really wanted to be done. And maybe he just can't fix this problem, right? Maybe it's not fixable. It bums me out because the way my nipples are, it's just a constant reminder of all of this... Everything else looks great but for these lopsided nipples!

Sorry to vent about this... I just feel disappointed that there's not a noticeable difference yet. It was the one thing that I wanted corrected. Thanks for listening, ladies. :(

• Springtime
    edited October 2012

Esmerelda, you will be able to decide in 9-12 months if that nipple stuff bothers you enough that you want to fix it. I waited 11 months before doing a stage 2b. I couldn't even fathom it at first, but the further I got away from the last surgery, and the more I lived with the "things" that were bugging me, I then decided to go ahead. It's a journey and you'll figure it out all in good time. The way you feel today may not be the way you feel in 6-9 months, or it might. (!!)

I felt liposuction was like being in a car accident! I had huge plate size bruises, and YES THE FRIGGIN TOILET SEAT was the WORST! However, I felt the first 3-5 days were the worst, and then it started getting better. It did take longer for numbness and lack of feeling to mostly subside. Lipo is not for wimps!

• Esmerelda
    edited October 2012

Thanks, Spring. You are right. I really shouldn't get ahead of myself. It's good to know you waited a while before doing your 2b. What did you have done for your 2b again?

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2012

I got word this morning that my insurance approves my stage 2 that is scheduled a week from today.  That was most last minute.  I bought our plane tickets and they are $600+ more since it is so late in the game.  Bummer, BUT at least I am going so I can start healing for good.  

Maggies, maybe I will see you at at the clinic?

Healing wishes to all! 

• celtic_antique
    edited October 2012

Hope so Jane!! PM me and I'll send cell phone number. Getting close!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited October 2012

Jen I am so sorry you are disappointed. I know what you are feeling as I have a few disappointments myself, but I was told to wait 6-9 months. I really hope it all works out for you!!!

As for lipo...OMG it's not for the weak. I couldn't sit on the toilet seat for the longest time and getting up and down is painful, but hang in there girl.

Prayers to Harmonysun!! Hope all is well and you're resting comfortably.

Hugs to all

• Katiejane
    edited October 2012

Wow!!!  This stage2 w/ lipo sounds really painful!  I hope they don't hesitate to give you some good pain control post-op!  Foley cath. can come out-the sooner the better! 

Jane 123 & Mags20487, we will all be in NOLA at the same time!  Where are you all staying?  I arrive on the evening of the 29th, surgery w/ Dr. M. on the 31st. We will be at Homewood Suites.  I wish you both well with your surgeries-a smooth recovery!

katiejane

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2012

I am with DR M on the 1st katiejane...so see ya there baby!!  We are staying at the Marriott b4 surgery and then going to the Comfort Suites in Harvey for after the surgery.  I could not get in at Homewood and on the bright side the Comfort Suites was $99/night for a full suite and breakfast everyday so not a bad deal...also out of main city so free parking for our car--we are driving.  Leaving Sunday.  95% packed up and ready.  Family dinner tomorrow night then hittin the road.  I will look to maybe get to meet you Kaitejane and Jane123 :)

Maggie-2

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited October 2012

Spring -- if you see this -- my stage 2 date was moved back a day because Dr. S will be leaving town. It is now scheduled for Dec 18.

Hey, you all are making me nervous about the lipo. Yell Would you say it is worth it after time passes?

• Esmerelda
    edited October 2012

Chelle, Spring - I'd love to know what you were disappointed about after stage 2, that is having you consider a stage 2b. (in Spring's case, of course, you're all done!)

AnnAlive, I'm sure the lipo will be worth it. Dr. D did a lot of plumping up my breasts with the fat, and although I'll naturally lose some of it, I have no doubt that my breasts will be fuller which is what I wanted. The lipo pain seems to be super intense the first few days and then there's marked improvement. I don't have any regrets doing it. despite the pain, I think in the long run it will be better.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2012

Glad to hear "worth it"!  Thanks, Jen.  Peace, Tam

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

Jane123- Happy you got the approval. The waiting sucks but at least you know you have the green light.

I got the approval for my Stage 2 in December. My sister was going to join us, but between waiting for insurance approval the ticket price for her jumped so high she couldn't afford it. Airfare can be so unpredictable.

Stage 2 and lipo does not sound too pleasant. I will be arriving home the day before Christmas Eve. Guessing I will be in some pain but at least have the procedure behind me, and enjoying time with family.

• Springtime
    edited October 2012

You all are asking me what I did in Stage 2 and this may be hard to believe, but I can hardly remember! There was a pucker ish area on one of the incision areas on side of hip that was not smooth, he smoothed that out and it didn't look even with the other side in terms of how much fat was left. He plumped up my nipples. I think he worked on symetry. I really can't remember! There was more lipo involved! Less than the first stage 2, much easier recovery, but still ugh.

Lipo for me was worth it. I had huge saddle bags on side of hips upper leg area, and that is totally gone. Some of that area is still numb, but my entire look is more streamlined and athletic vs blobby looking.

I think it depends on how much your fat bothers you!

Ann Alive, I updated your date !

Did Harmony Sun check in?

I'll be out of town for the weekend - will not be online much, FYI!! Best for any new dates or date changes to be PM'd to me. 

• djfrro
    djfrro Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2012

I have a call into the center about my daughter, if she can have reconstruction using her own tissue that is what I want her to have, she is only 25, we got the call about the biopsy this morning and it is defiantly cancer, they were able to move there honeymoon up so they can go before she has to start anything. I just feel so bad for her, and feel so responsible. I was BRACA - but how can this be happening, it just sucks soooooooo much. I hate cancer so much, she survived a cancer that she only had 1% chance at surviving at the age of 13 and now she has to do this. so far her new husband seems very supportive, I hope he can withstand it all.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2012

FWIW I hardly had any pain from lipo. I had some visible bruising and a little achyness the first week, but otherwise I just had the regular healing aches and pains from the other stage 2 stuff. I've heard inner thigh is the most sensitive place to have it and I didn't have lipo there, so maybe that's why?

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2012

djffro...you daughter sounds like a real fighter and a very strong young woman...may your whole family gain strength right now to hold her up for what is ahead.  She can do this!!  She has already beaten the odds.  We will all be here for you

Maggie-2

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2012

djffro... She is probably in the BC camp because of her radiation... so I am sure your genes had nothing to do with it...

And Lipo does hurt, but it is not unbearable. If I didn't move, I was totally fine. And the discomfort was only for about 5 days.

• celtic_antique
    edited October 2012

Maggie-2, Jane123, and Katie Jane -- I fly in the evening of November 4th and am staying at the Bienville House. Pre-op 11/5, on the table 11/6 and supposed to be discharged 11/7. I hope that at least some of our times coincide. Have some cell phone numbers and will use'em! And, if for whatever reasonwe don't connect, you know you got all the healing and positive energies I can muster going your way!!

djffro -- "Beating" you up doesn't help her. My daughter was diagnosed the year before I was and I think it was her strength, grace and courage that made me a better mother to help her and myself. We are never given more than we can handle, and we have Help with that, though sometimes it does seem like the plate gets a little over-full. Hang in there, hang onto each other (the whole famned damily!), and everyone will come out on the other side of this stronger and more deeply loving. IMHO, that is!