Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2012

Holy flat feet, Betsy!! WTG!!!! Congratulations!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited October 2012

Mags,    I have had cellulitis twice in my lymphedema arm.  The 2nd round was awful-I was hospitalized for 4 days on IV antibiotics, had a temp of 104 & became septic!  I know my response is late here but cellulitis is nothing to fool with!  Always have a script for ABX from your Doc to carry with you, especially when you travel.

I hope you and your Doc have things under control now and it will be onward to your surgery!!!  katiejane

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2012

Betsy- Way to go! You should be very proud. Congrats!

I see Taderbug is up tomorrow. We will be thinking of you. Before you know it you will be on the other side!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2012

Taderbug, Esmerelda, and Harmonysun we are all thinking of you and can't wait to hear from you. Trader bug, we have the same surgeon and stage one. I will be following your progress as you will be 3 weeks ahead of me. What strong women you all are. It amazes me.

• djfrro
    djfrro Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2012

I hardley come on here anymore,  saw my surgeon yesterday, it was the first time she saw my new breast and she was very impressed.  unfortunatly we also found out that my 25 year old daughter has cancer in both breast, waiting for the official biopsy results but it looks like she is going to have to have a double mastectomy, she is to tiny to do reconstruction in NOLA, she has absolutely no body fat, so probably looking at implants.  She just got married two weeks ago and they are closing on a house next week.  this probably a secondary cancer caused by the radiation she had for leukemia when she was 13.

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

Djfrro- I am so sorry to hear about your daughter, what difficult news after your journey and hers with leukemia. I am 32 yrs old and was told by my genetic counselor and multiple breast surgeons and plastic surgeons that my only option was implants due to my body size. May be worth contacting NOLA and sending pictures to them. I wanted to stay close to my same size (B cup) and was able to have the Hip flaps procedure there (as I did not have stomach tissue). If tissue is still not an option, NOLA does do implant reconstruction as well. My prayers are with your family during this time.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2012

Djfrro... So sorry to hear this. I know that you would do anything possible to get her to NOLA after your positive experience there... I met a woman who just had her stage II in NOLA who also has no fat... like 5'7" and about 105 pounds... they did manage to get her two C breasts (GAP), so maybe worth asking... Which doctor did you use?? Was it Dr D? I am sure they'd give you an honest answer. Perhaps she could have the Body Lift??

Aside from the recon, it is disheartening to hear someone so young and so much going on right now (marriage, house) that the beast has hit her... And I agree that past leukemia radiation is probably the culprit. I have heard way too many times of people diagnosed with BC who had previous radiation... That knowledge palyed a large role in my decision to have a MX instead of radiation. You just never know what the side effects might be, many years after the fact.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited October 2012

Djffro, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. She must be in shock with this news. I'm sure it is an enormous relief to have you to lean on. My mom was diagnosed and had TRAM flap reconstruction eight years before my diagnosis. Knowing she conquered her own battle was a big deal to me. Best of luck and hugs to you both.

Well ladies my husband and I have been making the rounds - we've been walking everywhere! We've had a po'boy at Stanley's, Vietnamese dinner at Magasin, breakfast at Surry's, and now we're headed to dinner tonight at Lillette. (We got some great restaurant recommendations from Dr. Stollier.) I think I've really 'helped' my fat-donor sites along on this trip! Ha!

Had a good appointment with Dr. D yesterday. He's going to lower my abdominal scar just a little bit and do a little lipo from a LOT of places. Yikes! Surgery will be at 12 noon tomorrow. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes!

Taderbug, I'd love to meet you. give a holler if you are up for it.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited October 2012

Good luck tomorrow Esmeralda!

Can you tell exactly where A LOT of places are?  Are you having fat grafting for contouring or to increase breast size?

Thanks again for sharing!

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

Esmerelda- Good to hear from you. Enjoy the food. My husband and I "went to town" our first day in NOLA for my Stage 1. He picked out all these restaurants before we left so we really enjoyed ourselves. I think it is really important to spend that quality time with our spouses/significant others enjoying the city when we can!

Dr. Stolier is so nice and sincere. My mom also had breast cancer and had a TRAM about 10 years ago and prophy. surgery on her remaining breast this year. She was with me in NOLA for a few days and also met him. He was nice and stayed to chat with us for a bit during his rounds at the hospital. 

You are in great hands there!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2012

djffro...I have no words for you and your family..sorry to hear about your daughter.  We all wish her the best.  Send her to this site for sure

got the new from Dr M today that the surgery is ON!!!  So happy and excited and nervous and scared and everything else.  what a roller coaster this has been...  Now to pack my bags as we will leave this sunday

Maggie-2

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2012

Best wishes tomorrow, Jen! My local friend is on deck for tomorrow too.

I hope stage 1 has gone well for Taderbug. Good thoughts to HarmonySun for later in the week!

I'm in the ER to have ultrasound on my legs. I went on a long road trip last weekend and thought I didn't need my TED hose any more. My ankles have been sore and achy and woke me twice last night. I'm concerned about DVT so I'm getting it checked out. Probably a waste of time and money, but better safe than sorry. I've gotten confusing recommendations on the hose. How long were you told to wear them post-op on road trips?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2012

DJffro, that's so hard about your daughter. Does she need chemo or was it just DCIS? That is sure young to go through all this crap. 

Betsy, congratulations on 30 miles! I have a funny toe nail - it all started after chemo and is easily aggravated so I can empathise with the feet not cooperating! Last year I did a 10K (this is only 6 miles or so!) and the tonail turned black, hurt like a mother, and never fell off. It's still recovering. I've been to the doc, etc etc. UGH!! 

Good luck tomorrow Traderbug! Have we heard from Esmerelda? 

Oct 24 - Esmerelda - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA 

Oct 23 - Taderbug - Stage 1 Stacked DIEP, Dr. M., NOLA. 

Oct 26 - Harmonysun -  stage 1b or 2 at Fairway.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited October 2012

Good luck tomorrow Jen!! So glad you have been able to enjoy some wonderful food while you are there.

LAstar, sorry you are in the ER and I hope it all checks out ok for you.

Congrats Betsy on 30 miles!!

Hope taderbug is comfortable and healing well.

Also well wishes to harmonysun for Friday.

Big hugs to you all. Its been a long day. Good night everyone!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2012

dumb question...should I buy granny panties or just bikinis for after the diep? 

Hoping everyone who has had or is having this week that all goes well and speedy recovery...I am right on your heels

Maggie-2

• lastar
    edited October 2012

Yay, Betsy! I hope you have recovered from those 30 miles!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2012

DJffro- I can't imagine what your family is going through right now. I know we all have that fear for our daughters. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

It will be nice to hear from Taderbug. Sleep well Esmerelda and let us know how it goes.

Maggie-2. I am so happy the surgery is on. I know what it is like to have it canceled. (12 hours before). It must be a big relief for you. 😃

How are your feet today Betsy? Was this for a BC walk?

• KerryA
    edited October 2012

Maggie-2. Glad to hear everything worked out.

LAstar- Hope you get some relief. Would have never guessed to wear the TED hoes post op after flying on the plane home.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2012

Djffro,

My heart is breaking for you..please let me know if I can help in any way,

Marcia

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2012

Cherrie... One toe still hurts, but otherwise ok... and yes, Avon Foundation for BC... Their motto is IN IT TO END IT... all for that.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited October 2012

Djffro I am so sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!!! My mom passed away when I was 19, but I was 11 when she was diagnosed. What has happened to you and your daughter was my moms biggest fear.

But, your daughter is a cancer survivor and she'll beat it again.

Hugs!!

Chelle

• lastar
    edited October 2012

The ultrasound didn't find any problems -- what a relief.  I got the news that my last 2 drains can come out -- woohoo!  The nurse also said that I could stop wearing the nipple protectors.  It's been 2.5 weeks since surgery -- I expected to wear them longer but I won't miss them!  

Djffro, I will keep your daughter in my thoughts.  You two have had to go through too much!  Best wishes that her treatment is straightforward and effective.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2012

DJFFRO, I'm so sorry about this news. I'll be praying for you and your family. I hope that your daughter will be able to have her surgery at NOLA.

LAStar, I'm glad every thing was okay. I was told to wear the TED hose for a couple of hours after I got off the plane. DVT scares me so I kept mine on all day after I returned home.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited October 2012

Hello everyone, this is Jen's husband. Her 2nd stage surgery was pushed to this past afternoon and lasted about 3 hours. Dr. D said everything went great and she's been recovering in her room (Mostly sleeping). I'm sure she'll write more tomorrow. Thank you all for your amazing support!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited October 2012

Jen/Esmerelda,

See, all that worry for nothing! And what a nice hubby you have.

Has anyone heard from Taderbug?

LAstar, coincidentally, I had an ultrasound of one of my legs last Friday afternoon. It had hurt ever since I flew home. Of course by the day of my appointment, the pain had disappeared.

Today I was at the doctor having him look at a lump in the soft tissue of my arm, near the elbow. He doesn't think it's anything, but we're going to "watch it for a few weeks."

I just had my one year cancerversary and the worrying seems to have kicked back in. Having the stage 1 and 2 surgeries were such a great distraction. Maybe I need a 2b to distract me!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2012

Today is my 1st cancer confirmed diagnosis anniversary (stereoptic biopsy). So much has happened over the last year ti seems almost unreal. Heading to NOLA for Stage 2b on 11/4. Anxious, but want to be DONE!!

Best wishes and healing thoughts to all in NOLA this week and to those on the mend!

Maggie

• lastar
    edited October 2012

Celtic, I hope you can pamper yourself today! What a year.

I am celebrating these days. My superficial mx margin was found to be within 1mm, and Dr. Stolier felt that this was 'clear.' My hubs & I were not satisfied, so a large area was taken at Stage 2 since I was sizing down anyway. The path report came back completely clear - nothing found to even measure a margin with! We are so relieved! Now if the hardness in my left breast will resolve without requiring another flap procedure, I might be able to consider myself DONE. Finally feeling cancer-free after 4 surgeries is wonderful.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2012

Glad to hear Jen is okay!

Maggie congrats on the anniversary!

And on the good news LAStar!

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited October 2012

Hi all - I thought I would share about a recent ultrasound for those of you who have hard areas, like LAStar.  I had an ultrasound six months ago (which was about six months post-hip flap PBM), and the radiologist measured an area of fat necrosis as 13 cm long (upper outer quadrant of left breast, and partly  into lower outer quadrant).  Recently I have been thinking that while I can still definitely feel it, the hard edges are less distinct and it is getting somewhat smaller.  Yesterday during the ultrasound, the radiologist measured it at 9-10 cm, so I was really pleased.  I don't know if it will continue to shrink, but the MD said that smaller and softer is definitely going in the right direction.  I have been waiting on my Stage 2 in part to see if the fat necrosis will continue to soften, and also for some logistical reasons.  Anyway, it was nice to get clinical confirmation of what I had been feeling - I am not just dreaming that the necrosis was getting better. 

DJffro - I was really sorry to read about your daughter.  I am wishing all the best for her. As a BRCA2+ woman with a teenage daughter, I can only imagine how worrying this is.  I hope all goes well.

• lastar
    edited October 2012

That's great news, Running, and makes me more hopeful that I will not need another procedure.  Are you seeing a local BS for this monitoring?