Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012

I just received my Marena stage2 compression girdles and as things go, I ordered 2 different sizes in two different garments.  I was in an XL black Dom from the Center for almost 8 weeks and have graduated to these Marena's.  As far as sizing goes, I can wear both the medium and large-I get more compression in the medium but for the days that my lymphedema is swelling, I need the large so I will keep both sizes!  These are so much more comfortable than our black Dom and less bulky!! I put on my size 7 Wrangler jeans and could actually get them zipped and closed!!

Just wanted to pass this info along-I have tried Spanx and Marena and by far I find a better fit w/ the Marena!!!  

Merry Christmas!   katiejane

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2012

I rather liked the crotchless Dom... Heehee

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012

well me and my new lover (the wound vac) are madly in love.  we go everywhere together.  It really is not so bad.  Initially the nurse got a great seal so viturally no noise what so ever...now that the home nurse did it --it gurgles constantly..errrr.  Both the wound doc and the home nurse say that it should only be with me about 2 weeks as there is no infection...just an open wound about 3 inches long and 1 cm deep....yuck!  Dr M wanted pic but did not get her message until the vac was put on.  Only 9 weeks til I leave again for NOLA!!  wow time flies.  still cannot wrap my head around having to do this again.  Dr M has assured me that the GAP is not as tough on the patient but harder on the doc.    Sorry DR M for making it touch on you...she love it and she knows it.  Love her so much what a great doc!   Rightie looks beautiful.  When do you ladies start going topless at night?  Pretty used to sleeping with support but would be nice to let it all hang out again!

Have a great weekend

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2012

Maggie - I think Dr M tells us we can move to a cami with a shelf bra at 6 weeks as a transition before going comando.  I experimented the other day by wearing a tank with a shelf - felt pretty nice.  Glad you and your new lover are getting along.  When one of my friends had a wound vac on her abdominal inscision, the wound care nurse told her to eat liver to speed the healing process.  Not being a liver lover, she struggled to eat it and really thinks it helped.  

Sleep well!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2012

Sandy,

There are no words when we lose a sister like Alaina. I am glad I got to meet her in 2010 when a bunch of us did a 2b surgery, and share a meal with her and get to know her a little. I could tell she was a lovely person. It is such a loss for everybody who loved her and knew her. I am so glad you went to her surprise party, Sandy, and that her sister arranged it for her. You all will have that great memory. I remember when it was Matastic BC month, hearing that 30% of women who are diagnosed with BC will die of it. While that means 70% of us will survive, 30% is a lot lot lot of women. We have lost such beauties, such beautiful souls, and sometimes I just take a moment to remember them all. Alaina Arnold. I won't forget her!

KatieJane, glad you like the Marina! I think mine were crotchless?? it is hard to remember now... :)  I was one who didn't like the crotchless "comando" feeling, so I would wear underwear OVER them. But then at least once I forgot and peed through my underware!!! ugh.

We are in Port Townsend WA and had a great day as a family! We found a farmers market and got a whole salmon, an organic chicken we'll cook for Christmas dinner, root veggies, spinach, salad greens, etc. Our girls are grown now so it is so special to be all in one place, at least for a little while! 

Nordy, Eva (who was on these boards) is also interested in meeting up, she's from the Seattle area. The date we're aiming for is Saturday 12/29, but it's so close to Christmas, but would be nice to see you if possible! I know it's a drive for you.... Trish has something so she won't be able to make it...

• Katiejane
    edited December 2012

Spring, yes, these are the crotchless and I don't care for the commando feel at al.. I wear panties over and almost P'd in then yesterday- just plain forgot they were there!!!!!

Both of my son's have made it home for Christmas- one from DC and one from Okinawa. Best Christmas ever!!!

Wishing all of you fine ladies a very Merry Christmas!!' Hugs, Katiejane

• Katiejane
    edited December 2012

Spring, yes, these are the crotchless and I don't care for the commando feel at al.. I wear panties over and almost P'd in then yesterday- just plain forgot they were there!!!!!

Both of my son's have made it home for Christmas- one from DC and one from Okinawa. Best Christmas ever!!!

Wishing all of you fine ladies a very Merry Christmas!!' Hugs, Katiejane

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2012

Spring-- I am going to do my best to make it! I will text you!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2012

ttay.. I wore a larger padded bra over the nipple protectors... so I had the black bra on, with a hole where the nipple is, and the protector and then a padded bra over it. I wore the protectors for 3 weeks, and then continued to wear the padded bra. This bra kept its own form and did not press against my nipple. It was the bra I bought post stage I when I was size DD... and after stage II, I was a C. The bra worked perfectly.

Katiejane... That was my sizing also. I had a XL or XXL DOm and a M and L Marena. I also wore both sizes depending on how much compression I wanted.

Maggie.. I too had a wound vac, but only for 5 days. And I was at the SCSH the whole time, so the nurses there cared for me. I can't really imagine being home with a vac, dealing with stairs etc.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited December 2012

Nordy,  Rash is all better.  I prefer commando, too - really came in handy for XC ski trip to a yurt yesterday.  Cool that the family and I (6 wks post op) made it through powder to the yurt.  Feeling good.  Hang in there everyone!   

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2012

I have a funny story to tell you ladies.  About three years, I was scheduled for another surgery in NOLA when a movie costumer called us and asked us to produce three Elvis-style shirts covered at the yoke, cuffs and collar with thousands upon thousands of rhinestones....in three days!   I stayed up all night the first night making transfers, and we started pressing the next morning.  Well, the shirts they provided had a lot of polyester in them and the rhinestones kept falling off!  We were going crazy, pressing them really hard with high heat...finally we were done, but the shirts were really going to have to be handled carefully during the movie shoot.   The costumer asked me to overnight the shirts...to NOLA!  Poydras Street, no less!  I asked her about the movie, and found out that they were still going to be filming during the week I would be there for my revisions.  I asked if we could visit the set and possibly see our shirts, and she said we could try.  We looked but never found the set upon arriving in NOLA, so I had to forget about that and wait for the movie to come out.  It's called The Courier, and Mickey Rourke was to wear the shirts.   I've been waiting all this time for the release, and finally, it is out, but only on DVD.  We watched it tonight, and he wears the shirt at the very end!!!  We had made rhinestone-covered triangular shaped pieces of fabric as inserts for his pant legs too, and I saw those tonight as well.

My husband and I had never been to NOLA until I went for my surgeries.  After being taken all over by Alaina and getting to know the area some, we've enjoyed watching movies filmed there.  The Courier starts off on the rollercoaster at the Six Flags that was damaged by Katrina and deserted, and there are other scenes filmed in some very familiar places around town.

Hubby and i both received beautiful "Happy Everything" cards from Center this week.  He had a hernia repaired at St. Charles two years ago because I've received such phenomenal care there that I didn't want him going to just any old hospital!   Happy holidays to all of you ladies....one of these days, you'll find yourselves forgetting details about your surgeries as Spring and I have.  :)

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2012

Happy Holidays to you, too, Sandy....I'm so sorry about your friend, Alaina. I read the obit. She seemed like an amazing woman.

LAStar and BDavis: Thanks for the "Nip-Tips". : )

TTay

• zandy
    zandy Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012

Hi ladies

First of all, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

My stage 1 is coming up really soon! I've read the Packing for NOLA thread, and am just hoping folks can point me in the way of some other tips: how to shop for groceries while at Hope Lodge with no car, other things to do while at HL so as to not go stir crazy, etc. Does HL have wifi?

Any info is helpful.

Thanks!

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited December 2012

Hello All!

I wanted to wish everyone:

A Merry Christmas and a Healthy Prosperous New Year!!

• bdavis
    edited December 2012

Zandy... I can't say for sure, but I believe the HL has a shuttle to the store. And yes, they have wifi. Not much else going on up there... The Audubon Zoo isn't far from the HL, so maybe you could take a taxi there and walk around.

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited December 2012

Happy holidays everyone!! Whichever holidays you celebrate! I know I am late for Hannukah sorry about that!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2012

No shuttle at Hope lodge, and they do have a Wifi. I recommend renting a car. Enterprise will come and get you and drop you off. The one closest to HL. Airport rentals are way more expensive. If not, you will need a taxi to go grocery shopping or out. The HL lodge is nice. I was surprised, but out of the way. Good luck! PM me if you have more HL or any questions. I am 6 weeks out.

• Cherrie
    edited December 2012

My lucky day! Compression is off and will sleep in a shelf bra. I am still in a recliner. Scared of rolling onto breasts.

Happy Holidays to all. I pray for healing and peace to all.

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Happy day, Cherrie!  If you put a pillow under your knees and 2 pillows under your shoulders and head, you might be comfy in bed and most likely won't roll.  Just think 8.5 weeks and you will be almost doneLaughing!

Happy Christmas to all who celebrate!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2012

Zandy, I had groceries delivered from Whole Foods for about a $30 fee.  

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited December 2012

I'm home now, 6 days out from stage 2 and feeling better, with no pain meds needed and just a little sore. My only drain wasn't putting out much, so we were allowed to pull it - yay!

I have a question for you all on compression garments. I am using the provided Veronique, and it's fine, but Dr. S requires compression for only 2 weeks, so it would be nice to go to something more comfortable. He or nurse said I could wear Spanx after that if I want. I am looking at ordering Flexees brand from Kohl's. Do any of you have experience with them, maybe the Hi-Waist Shaper -1455? These would save $ over the nice Marenas but hope they are worth it, especially ordering two. It seems to me I will want some compression for a few weeks after the required 2 weeks. How long are any of you using compression after stage 2 and what's working? Kiss

• bdavis
    edited December 2012

Ann.. I bought Flexees and found that they rolled down, so I ended up with a rolled mess at my waist. So I bought the Marenas. I bought what Kohls had in stock, so maybe there is a style that is better than what I bought.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2012

I ended up spending more money experimenting with cheap(er) fashion shapers than I did on Marenas. The Marenas were worth every penny. They didn't roll down on me, others did. And they didn't stretch out as fast.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2012

Merry Christmas!

Some of us are meeting together this Saturday, Dec 29 in the Seattle area. LAStar (Leigh Ann) PM'd me and she is around this area too.

It is looking like we will be meeting around lunch time in Seattle at the Pike Place Market area. Hopefully Leigh Ann can make it, Eva is local and said Saturday was a good day for her, and Nording is driving up from Portland with her little girls. I will have my husband and likely 2 daughters with me. 

PM me if you are intersted in meeting up. I will send you my cell phone number and my email address!

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Spring - sounds like you are going to have a great time!  Buy some flowers for all of us, then enjoy them yourselfLaughing!

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2012

I am 5 hrs from Seattle, wish I could make the trip to meet you ladies. You have all been so inspirational to me. Enjoy your time together . Happy holidays.

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

I was sitting on the couch watching TV this afternoon when I suddenly had a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious).  I realized that the "iron bra" was gone!  For the past 13 years (since the 2nd set of implants were placed) I have experienced that terrible feeling of having a strap around the chest under the breasts - right where the bottom of the bra band would be.  Each year it would get tighter and tighter.  I am so excited!

Of course, I also realized that I wasn't wearing a bra either (not even my trainer) - oops!  Sorry Dr. M.  I had a tank on last night with a shelf bra.  When I went to bed I just peeled it off and put on my night shirt. This morning I ripped off the night shirt and replaced it with a long sleeved Tee.  Totally forgot the bra.  With no feeling in the boobs, I never even noticed it was missing.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas and dodging the bad weather as much as possible.

• Cherrie
    edited December 2012

I have slept the last two nights in a shelf bra and no compression. Wearing yoga pants as they feel comfortable on incision. My underwear all hit me here. Going commando for first time in my life and I like it!!!! Ha ha

How long are we supposed to wear a shelf bra at night? After family leaves on Sunday I will try my bed. I am still in recliner. I am having such a hard time falling and staying asleep since surgery. I probably have no more than 4-5 hours at one time. I try not to take Tylenol PM every night.

I am blessed with good healing though and thankful my children came here for Christmas. They both live out of state. All in all doing very well.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited December 2012

Ann I am so glad you're doing well and drains are out. I am sure you are glad to be at home. Did you have a nice Christmas?

I am glad I had my stage 2 before year end with the insurance. Christmas was nice to be around family but Christmas eve was a little harder than I thought. We go to church and then enjoy appetizers afterwards at my mothers house. Usually a later evening. Still tire easily and quite sore and swollen. Drains have low output so hope to have those out soon.

• bdavis
    edited December 2012

I cannot believe that I am almost up again... only Zandy between now and my date (on our list)... It seemed so far away and now it is almost here... excited and apprehensive. But mostly excited to get on with it.