Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

Cherrie, I haven't worried much about my weight through this whole thing.  I had managed to lose about 15 lbs before Stage 1 but just because I was trying to be healthier -- I didn't anticipate having such a dramatic surgery.  When I examine the areas where I am more apt to lose weight, I think that losing that weight will only enhance my results.  

I use MyFitnessPal too -- it's keeping me honest! I'm just getting back into an exercise routine (3 months post-Stage 2).  I have seen an immediate increase in my energy level and work productivity.  I'm doing a little more PT to regain full movement in my arms.  My lymph-node arm was sore recently after having a mole biopsied on my back, so I am wearing my lymphedema sleeve when I exercise. 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2013

Just added fitnesspal!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2013

Added myfitnesspal and started logging with breakfast. Off for a walk!

• Cherrie
    edited January 2013

Ditto!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013

Cherrie... are we FB friends?? I am thinking yes, but I can't remember your last name. I can add you as a "friend" on my fitnesspal. And Marty, are you on FB? We have a NOLA group.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Betsy, I am on FB.  Didn't know about the NOLA group.  My fitnesspal screen name is mj29451.  What is the NOLA group called on FB - I'll link then we can all friend up.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

The group is secret, so once we are friends, then I can add you.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2013

I have wondered about losing weight and how it will affect my flaps too. Since starting all this surgery and being on Tamoxifen I have put on about 20 pounds. I will have to check out the my fitness pal, maybe it will help motivate me too.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2013

Ladies regarding weightloss...I have read about the coffebean extract and raspberry ketones. They are natural and is what I would use. Dr. Oz has featured both of them. I order many of my supplements from Vitacost.com which I found to be the cheapest:)

It is so hard not to focus on the number we weigh. I just like to fit in my favorite jeans and try to keep at that size. I want big boobs and a skinny body, but have to have enough fat for them to make boobs!! lol Boy am I in between a rock and hard place right now!!! Then after having to worry about losing the 5lbs I want to and losing some in my boobs as well!! ugh~~

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2013

I am so glad some of you are trying MyFittnessPal! Add me! BeverlyLovelace (I think). Go girls!

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

I bought the green coffee bean extract yesterday at GNC... will keep you posted. I also bought the acai cleanse. Went to Spin yesterday and Bokwa today, and the scale did not move. not even 1/10 of  a pound. Hopefully in just a couple of days with continued diligence, I will see something move. Bev, I added you through FB.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Adding the green coffee bean sounds like a plan. Will try to find it tomorrow. Yeah!

Spring- I am mj29451 on MFP

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Marty... do a little research before buying the extract. Not all supplements are created equal. I bought mine at GNC, so I am assuming its a good one. It should have 50% chlorogenic acid, be pure green coffee extract, no fillers, no caffeine (or very little)...

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Yes, Betsy, that is why i haven't bought before - the reliability of the mfg.  But, GNC is usually on target.  Really appreciate the advice.

• Springtime
    edited January 2013

Okay so what's the deal about green coffee beans? and weight loss? what? :)

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited January 2013

Hi, ladies! Been lurking and reading, but haven't seemed to have the time to respond much! So happy to hear of the successful surgeries in December and sending warm wishes and healing to those coming up!

With the weight question, I found an interesting thing. I lost 30 pounds between Stage 1 and Stage 2. Had started with a personal trainer to get fit for my mastectomy and kept it up thru Stage 1. I wanted to be in the best shape possible, especially cardiovascularly, for the surgeries that I knew would be demanding. After Stage 1, kept at it, eating properly, eagle-eye on portions, etc. And, as a unilateral, found that as the scale inched downwards, my reconstructed breast stayed exactly the same while the contralateral breast shrunk like mad! The only explanation I could find for this in my mind was that I am a classic pear -- a whole size larger on the bottom than the top. And, in the past, when I have lost weight, it always comes from the neck and face first, the boobs second, and then finally (almost grudgingly), it gets to my gut, hips and thighs.

Well, my reconstruction was from my hip and butt ... so per my body type, as it isn't boob tissue any more, it didn't change when I lost weight. Dr.D. did a mini-flap to rebuild the contralateral using hip/butt tissue in Stage 2b, so I anticipate that as I lose more, the boobs will remain in the same proportion as they are to my body! Don't lose butt-fat! LOL!

At any rate, now much lighter, I find my body proportions to be much better than before. Only problem is that I am unaccustomed to jogging with the new, larger "girls" and they do bounce around a lot! I have gone from a small B to a D thanks to Dr. D's talents. One last tweaking to go and it should be minimal -- I am very happy with what I have. Worried about the tattooing and would appreciate any info you might have on that. I am needle-phobic with an attendant panic disorder (very serious meaning different procedures for surgery IVs etc.), so it has me quite stressed out!

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Spring - there was a small study done that demonstrated very successful weightloss with green coffee bean extract that was featured on Dr. Oz.  The biggest problem is that there are so many less than reputable products on the market.  The challenge is finding the best product. Oz also recommended taking 400 mg 3 x per day.  Most labels suggest 400 mg 1-2 x per day.  Following is the info from Oz's website:

The extract the researchers used contained an ingredient called GCA, which contains a standard green coffee extract of total chlorogenic acids and other hydroxycinnamic acids that have been known to have antioxidant health benefits. The subjects lost an average of almost 18 pounds – this was 10% of their overall body weight and 4.4% of their overall body fat. 

With this promising study, many companies and websites have prized this supplement – even marketing similar fat-burning substances of their own. However, the consumer should always beware when buying unregulated supplements online. When purchasing supplements, make sure you look at the list of ingredients. When looking for a green coffee bean supplement, it should contain the chlorogenic acid extract, which can be listed as any of the following:

GCA® (green coffee antioxidant)

Svetol®

Also, look for a capsule that contains at least 45% chlorogenic acid. More than 45% is okay, but pills with less than this amount have not been tested in studies that demonstrate weight loss. If you are going to take green coffee bean, the recommended dosage is 400mg, three times a day – 30 minutes before each meal. However, some clinical trials have also demonstrated success with 200mg.

If the bottle doesn’t list ingredients, don’t buy it! On the ingredient list, you should see no fillers and no artificial ingredients. Also, don’t be fooled by the word “pure” if you see it on a label. If you see the word “pure,” and you don’t see Svetol® or GCA®, consider another choice.
  • 4my4babies
    4my4babies Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2013

I'm getting geared up for the 17th!  Just 3 more days until I have my PBMX with DIEP reconstruction with Dr. D.  Funny thing is, I had a bigger overwhelmed feeling (i.e. fear) when I was two weeks out than I do today.  Now I just want to get it over with!  I KNOW this is the right decision for me and my family...I just want to be on the other side! 

Last week I went out to lunch with my friend who had BMX with DIEP by Dr. S. a month ago.  (She learned about NOLA from me....just a few days after being given a stage 1 dx. THAT, my friends is a God thing!)  Anyway, she is doing great and is now my expert "been there done that" go to person.  We will basically have the same surgery except she didn't do nipple-sparing because of the location of her bad cells and I'm not doing nipple-sparing because I have no diagnosis (strictly preventive due to family history). I was pleased to know that, with only going to the sentinel nodes, she didn't have any significant loss of motion in her arms and was able to dress in non-button shirts and do her own hair before she even left the hospital.  I hope the same is true for me...for some reason I see that as a real positive and one less hurdle to overcome.  I haven't been able to do as much pre-surgical exercise as I would like because, as I am battling some scoliosis-related leg and hip problems, my PT has said "no" to any strengthening exercises...only stretching.  I'm sure it will take me longer to get up and moving after the surgery but hopefully it will keep the amount of future work down for the other.

I just wanted to say hello again and thank you to all of you that have also "been there done that."  You ladies have done a wonderful service to so many women, myself included.  I know each of you has given and received helpful information and support, but I wanted to take the time to say thank you on behalf of the receivers one more time. 

My husband and I will drive to New Orleans on Wednesday for the day of pre-op appointments and I'm to report to the hospital at 6:30 Thursday morning.  Surgery by Dr. D and Stollier scheduled to start at 7:30 and to last 5-6 hours.  Here's to getting this over with and here's to all of you have gone before and will come after me!

Nancy

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Nancy, you sound like you have it all together.  No need for nerves when you have made an excellent decision.  We'll see (hear from) you on the other side.

Hugs!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited January 2013

Good luck Nancy!!! Sounds like you have it all together and you will be on the other side soon!!

An update on my son, well the MRI and the quick study EEG came back normal, which is AWESOME!!! But, they don't have any idea what is causing the episodes. Further testing is required.  The EEG only shows activity for 30 minutes, so a longer study to see if there is seizure activity will be needed. The episodes aren't consistant and are spaced out with now rhyme or reason. Thank you for asking and please just continue to pray for answers.

I am also on fitness pal.
    chelleh0214

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Chelle - prayers continue.  Thanks for the update.  I will send you a friend request.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited January 2013

Thank you Marty!!!
    Got it. I am new to fitness pal, so I am still trying to figure it all out.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Chelle - me too!  If we really figure it out, we may actually lose a few.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

I'm LA_Star on MyFitnessPal.  See you there!

• Springtime
    edited January 2013

Nancy, sounds like you're good to go! Safe travels!

So Marty or anybody else, if you try this green coffee bean extract stuff for weight loss, REPORT BACK!

I have so many new pals on MyFitnessPal! Go ladies! :)

Upcoming!!!

Jan 17 - 4my4babies - PBM and Stage 1 DIEP with Dr D., NOLA

Jan 30 - Pamela44 - Stage 2, NOLA.

Jan 30 - BDavis - Stage 2B, Dr. D., NOLA. 

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2013

I'm Suntay1 on FitnessPal. Signed up months ago, but haven't used it.

Looking forward to joining up with you ladies.

• Cherrie
    edited January 2013

Good luck Nancy! You are in great hands. I had my PBLX and DIEP 5 weeks ago. You will do great.

Chelle- thanks for updating on your son. I will friend request you on myfitnesspal.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

I have invited people to myfitness, but only have 2 friends... Do you need to accept me back?? I am betsydavis16

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Oh and OMG.. I am on the short list. Yikes!

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Betsy - just sent you a friend request on FB.

Spring - I went to Whole Foods and got the green coffee bean extract.  The woman working in the department said her doctor put her on it coupled with lower carbs, higher protein and a mid level of fats.  She said to give it a chance as it has been working for her!  Fingers crossed.

Re:  MFP - sure do wish we could get some exercise credit from playing bridge.