Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2013

Millerj- Monteleone is a beautiful place to stay. I stayed there before surgery. I was at Hope Lodge for three nights before surgery also. I was surprised at how nice it was. It is far from things so we rented a car. It is free and you can do laundry there. It has a large kitchen facility where you do your own cooking. There is no food allowed in the room. I didn't like that rule. After surgery we rented an apartment near the Center. I visited the Homewood and it was very nice.

I will ask Dr. M about scar treatment. I am thinking that if the scars are being revised why do it before stage 2???

My vision issues have cleared up and my appetite has come back full force and more. I was down 7 pounds when I came home from NOLA and have regained 5 of that. Me bad!! Surgery is 6 weeks off. Time to walk more regularly. Gearing up!!!!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2013

Ann- glad to hear you have more energy. I bet you are looking forward to your upcoming cruise?

I am also planning to start the kelo cote next week. Jeanine told me if I needed any more they would send more. Thought I would try that first before buying anything in addition. I have been wearing the garment from the center for 10-12 hrs a day. Still some swelling around the stomach incision and lipo discomfort but very much improved 3 weeks out. I have been wearing skirts to work as dress pants over the hip incisions is not doable right now. Hoping to try some loose pants soon :)

Maggie-so happy for you. Some well deserved good news.

Lastar- I also hear your comments. For me I wanted all the extra supplies cleared after removing the last drains. Just needed to free myself from it all for a bit. I decided I am going to tackle redecorating our bedroom. Just something bright and cheery which probably means a new paint job. My husband is really understanding but think he felt initially it would be too much to tackle. Need something fresh for a new year!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2013

Cherrie,

I know it seems weird that Hope Lodge doesn't allow food in the rooms , but the explanation makes perfect sense.

Many of people who stay there are on chemo therapeutics and have lowered immune systems and increased sensitivity to smells. Minimizing the risk of pests and therefore the use of pesticides in the rooms is for the safety of those who are most vulnerable.

Just thought an explanation might be in order as I was a 3X greatful "guest" of the Lodge :)

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2013

Ann- glad to hear you have more energy. I bet you are looking forward to your upcoming cruise?

I am also planning to start the kelo cote next week. Jeanine told me if I needed any more they would send more. Thought I would try that first before buying anything in addition. I have been wearing the garment from the center for 10-12 hrs a day. Still some swelling around the stomach incision and lipo discomfort but very much improved 3 weeks out. I have been wearing skirts to work as dress pants over the hip incisions is not doable right now. Hoping to try some loose pants soon :)

Maggie-so happy for you. Some well deserved good news.

Lastar- I also hear your comments. For me I wanted all the extra supplies cleared after removing the last drains. Just needed to free myself from it all for a bit. I decided I am going to tackle redecorating our bedroom. Just something bright and cheery which probably means a new paint job. My husband is really understanding but think he felt initially it would be too much to tackle. Need something fresh for a new year!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited January 2013

Cherrie -- not all of my incisions were revised at stage 2 (by Dr. S). Just areas that needed work. Only the middle half of my abdominal incision was revised, so the sides of the incisions that run to the hips stayed intact. Parts of the breast flaps were redone, but not all. I had used Kelo-cote to some extent, so not all of it was wasted.

Kerry -- yes the family reunion cruise is something I'm really looking forward to and hope I regain even more energy before then. I drove for the first time yesterday (could have before, but DH took me places) and went shopping, with Marena on. In less than 3 hours I was exhausted. Some mentioned using arnica gel on the lipo areas to reduce swelling/soreness/bruising. I've been doing that for a couple of days, but I don't feel any difference--probably should have started it earlier, but I forgot.

It's Zandy's day for stage 1 hip flaps -- thinking of you! How was your stage 2, Sydgrace?

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2013

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the well wishes! Day 1 post op from Stage 2 & all is well. Moderate pain when I first woke up but that only lasted maybe 45 min. I have been sleeping A LOT. Dr. D did lipo around incision, on belly, saddlebag area, back. He got 100cc's of fat and added it to my breasts. I took a peek & they don't look much bigger, maybe a little wider if that makes sense. I definitely gained some breast fullness in Stage 1, I was about a 34 a/small b & Stage 1 brought me to a fuller b. I asked about implants w the flap to increase my size a bit but Dr. D thought that because of my size I'd end up looking 'shelf like' and that didn't sound good to me.

Question: did anyone feel they increased in breast size much at Stage 2 with the fat

injections? Just curious as I can't really tell the full result just yet.

Happy Friday everyone!

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2013

Good morning all.  

AnnAlive what is involved with revising the middle of the abdominal incision?  Dr. M wants to redo mine but it's so tight I'm concerned it won't do much good and I'm so done with being in pain and discomfort that I'm tending to not want to put myself through any procedures that aren't going to make much difference.  My ab scar is somewhat ugly and wide in the middle area which is why she wants to redo it.  

Cherrie, so glad to hear your issues have resolved.  I hope the next 6 weeks fly by for you!  I won't be going again until April, seems so far off.....

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2013

Sydgrace,

Glad to hear you're doing well!

At my stage 3 i will start having fat grafting. You asked a good question about if FG increased breast size much. Im looking forward to responses to your question

• annalive
    edited January 2013

Glostagirl -- you will probably be glad to have the abdominal incision revised while there is opportunity. Mine is a little tight, not bad, nothing like the first time around. I had a wide scar from having necrosis that took almost 3 months to heal (had wound care with debridement). It was ugly, and also lumpy, and the op report mentions elliptical incision 25 cm x 3 cm tall, excising fat necrosis and granulomas. It looks so much better, very pink still. He also closed my umbilical hernia.

Sydgrace -- my op report says 30 cc was injected to left breast (it needed more than that, kind of flat in the radiated area at top!) and 150 cc to right breast. I came out of surgery with the left breast looking no different to me (axillary fat injection was done, though, to help fill in concave area from ALND) and right breast looked bigger. Now, 3 1/2 weeks out with a lot of swelling going down, my right is still bigger than left, but not noticeable in a slightly padded bra. I have lost a cup size, from C down to scant B, partly because planned stacked DIEP couldn't be performed due to "pathetically small" vessels so I had a standard DIEP. I think my left will stay pretty much the size it is now, and expect the right to reduce a little to match better. I really do NOT want to go for a 2b -- so tired from surgeries.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2013

MillerJ - I won't be having Stage 2 in NOLA, Dr. M will do it in Charleston so we will miss each other.  I am now 9 weeks out as of today.  I was much more myself at 6 weeks, but needed a nap every day.  I was able to all pain meds by week 3.  I feel great now.  I had a busy day yesterday and didn't feel it at all.  I am not sure I could run after kids, but then I am a bit older than you are.  If you can get assistance in that area, it would probably be be helpful.

Cherrie - glad to hear you are back to eating.  Me, too and I am now trying to get back to eating like i usually do.  I am hoping to drop 5 - 10 before next surgery.  I still have a small opening in my abdominal incision that Dr. M says will close.  Using antibiotic ointment on it with a gauze pad covering.  So, I will wait to use any scar treatment.  

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2013

Good morning, Ladies.

I had FG to both breasts. I'm a uni-Diep Girl, so it is much more noticeable in the lifted non-cancer breast. I see it mostly in the upper pole of both breasts. Dr. Trahan said it would give the breasts a more higher look. It did. The size of my breasts did not change though.

I have a question for you ladies further out. My Stage 2 involved removal of dogears, scar revision, lipo, etc. I'm noticing numbness below the waist incision at the top of my butt. When did this go away for you all?

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

ttay, my numbness started going away at about 2 months.  The area around my incision was actually a little more uncomfortable/noticeable, and it made me thankful that it had been so numb during the previous 2 months!  

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2013

Happy New Year NOLA ladies!  

Chelle - did I miss your update on your son? I hope things are going well.

TTay - I am almost 1 year out from Stage 1 hip flaps and still have numb areas. They bother me less and less as the weeks go by. You are still fresh from your surgery. It does get better.

Have been getting chemo for liver lesions from a non-breast cancer and have loopy chemo brain! Am bald and having fun with my arsenal of wigs. 

When I was in NOLA last January for stage 1 I did an interview for the center for a Canadian reporter of the differences in breast cancer care between the two countries. 

Dr. Sullivan is in it and there is an article and video. Here is the link: 

http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Orleans+facility+leader+breast+reconstructive+surgery/7458856/story.html

Thanks to Jane123 for finding the story. May you all get what you need in the coming year.

Karen

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2013

Thanks, LAStar. I noticed it more yesterday when I had the garment off for a long time....and pain at the incisions, too. I couldn't wait to get back into it.

TTay

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

Need2New -- what a fantasitc article!!!  Thanks so much for sharing it.  Not many of us get souvenir photos from our surgery!

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Need2New - fabulous article!  Thanks for sharing.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2013

Need2, So glad to hear from you, you movie star!  

• annalive
    edited January 2013

Need2new/Karen -- thanks for sharing the great video. I sent the link to some friends/family so they can hopefully appreciate the "Center" experience. You were very calm and did a superb job! Cool

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2013

Need2new...I watched this some time ago. Very inspiring!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2013

Need2--- soooo happy to see on here! How often are your infusions and how are you feeling? I think of you often and hope you are doing well! I think I watched your video before, but I am going to check it out again!

• Elizabeth1959
    Elizabeth1959 Member Posts: 78
    edited January 2013

My surgery date is march 20th. I am getting nervous thinking about it as the date gets closer.

. My surgery is with dr, M.
  • Elizabeth1959
    Elizabeth1959 Member Posts: 78
    edited January 2013

My surgery date is March 20th with Dr, M. I get nervous just thinking about it.

Elizabeth

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Elizabeth - You are in the best of hands.  Dr M is a sweetheart and highly skilled surgeon. She will take the best of care of you.  Focus on getting ready for the surgery, your friends, your family, your life - don't worry about the surgery itself.  Just give yourself time to breath and all will come together beautifully.

• Cherrie
    edited January 2013

Ok, calling all you girls who are past stage 2 or done. On another thread there was a post about losing weight BEFORE stage 2. I have never heard this nor has my doctor mentioned it. I personally have 15-20 pounds to lose, but since I am still healing and having my next surgery in 6 weeks, I was going to focus on this between 2 and 2b. Will I compromise everything that my doctor has or will be doing??

Has anyone successfully lost weight after stage 2 and are still happy about how they look?

I really need your input on this.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013

I tried to lose weight between 2 and 2b, but not too much success. I think the Tamoxifen is not helping. I too am a bit worried about what might happen post stage IIb when and if I can lose the 25 pounds I want to shed.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2013

I am on Tamoxifen and have been able to lose weight. I use Myfitnesspal.com where you log your food and exercise. It helps me stay focused and they have apps for phone and tablet. You can even scan the barcode of what you're eating (if it has one) and it auto adds. You also log your exercise and it calculates extra calories on those days. The thing that I learned was that I have to eat very differently on days I exercise and days I don't. It encourages me to exercise! 

I am back on it in earnest now trying to lose the holiday pounds and eat more cleanly and plant based again. I got way off track over the holidays. (Way!)

I lost about 10 pounds between Stage 1 and 2, I don't think it made a difference. As you lose weight, your flaps get smaller, if you gain they get bigger. At least, this is what happens to me. Just like your old boobs!

• Cherrie
    edited January 2013

When we lose weight do our DIEP/GAP breasts reduce in size too? If so, will they lose uniformly. I have been motivating myself to get these pounds off. However, my stage 2 is in Feb. and so realistically this means after stage 2a. I have been walking more and plan to be in decent shape for this surgery. This has been about my health, but getting those pounds off would be a big plus for me. I want to look good too. I am 58 years old.

Betsy, it is more difficult to lose on Tamoxifen. It takes a lot of hard work. It would take me a month to lose one or two pounds, but over time that adds up.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Today I bought an Acai berry cleanse, and green coffee bean extract at GNC. I really want to lose 5 pounds before surgery. Just a personal goal.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

I am so glad Cherrie asked the question about weight loss.  I need to get on it.  I gained a few pounds since Stage 1 and already wanted to loose a few.  Now it equals 15 lbs minimum.  12 weeks til Stage 2a.  I know I can do this. I use Cyclemeter when I walk or bike to track my miles, route, calories burned and heartrate.  I log weight every morning at Livestrong, but might make a change.  Thanks Spring, I will look at my fitnesspal.com.  

About Bras - Downey30 turned me on to a new bra, the Coobie.  It is a step-in, one size bra.  Comes in lots of colors, with and without lace.  The big difference for me from the Genie and my Bali is that the straps are really narrow - like regular bra straps.  It is really light and comfortable.  Has removable pads like the Genie. I am using them because they make me look more even.  They are $20 and $22 each, but with a coupon code I got 2 for the price of one.  I bought through shopcoobie.com.  Loving it!

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Just added fitnesspal