Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2013

Hi girls. I must say I had an easier time with stage 1. I almost called the doctor today but now I think I will wait. Everything went well but if you recall I had a high temp probable 103 on the second post op night. On the third post op day it was 101.4 then normal then spiked again but less that night. Along with that my voice was raspy and my glands under my chin felt sore so I felt I had a virus too. ( I was threatening a sore throat before I left but ever got one). Since then i am still having night sweats but I don't think anymore fever. Nothing hurts but today I must have peed 14 times. I slept on and off until 1:30 pm and then took a nap at 4:30-5:30. I ate only toe eggs for breakfast, no toast or coffee and I am a coffee addict. My husband is making an omelette for me for dinner. I don't want anything harsh but I have no abd pain, I am nor nauseous I just fail malaise. I didn't know if this is from having had a virus or the fluid shifts from the lipo. I asked for only a little lipo. Did anyone of you that had stage 2 wxperrience this. I showered but did not style my hair, don't feel like talking on the phone, you get the idea. Thanks. By the way my breasts look great so far and the form of my torso starts "oldies" in my ears if you know what I mean when I had the courage to look. I hope this is coherent. Betsy glad you had the bm.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Pamela... Sorry for the ailments... I think you have a virus. Poor timing, but better days ahead. Just treat yourself like you have a touch of the flu.

I am feeling much better (digestive-wise) but will have my arsenal of treatments just in case.

After my shower today, I put on a smaller compression girdle that I had from last time, and it is more comfortable. Looking forward to being drainless so I can wear my Marenas

Nihahi... glad you found the post.

So I am too lazy to go back and see if I said this already, but my butt contour is much better... and my right breast looks great and side fat gone. The jury is still out on the left side. Breast looks much better, but side fat is not the same as right side. I will wait and see how things progress with swelling  and drain removal, and hope that it looks like the right side. If not, we are not far off.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Pamela - are you taking minocyclin?  That is the antibiotic that causes changes in taste, etc.  It also may be helping kick this virus you picked up.

Betsy - glad the butt lift is better.

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

I am taking the bactrim they prescribe which dr, traynor who I just spoke to said covers strep and staph for wound prophylaxis and I know covers ecoli for uti. I ate the omelette and now I am going to relax, again!!! I'm probably one of those few people who do not watch the Super Bowl. Thank you all for being here to listen and help. Betsy, I am sooo glad so far it looks great. Time will tell for you about the one side.

To whomever asked, my breasts hurt from 3-5 weeks off and on as nerves were healing and then that went away. Now I get only a rare "ping".

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013

Beth, Did you  try prescription Colace?.....I think that what Dr. M prescribes.   Marty or Cherrie, you might remember. It might be called something else, but it was prescription.  It took care of me.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Linda - Dr M writes the scrip, but it really is the same as you pick up off the shelf.

• LindaG47
    edited February 2013

Marty,  Really?  Who would have thunk?  And my insurance pays for it?!  Anyway, that stuff works for me.  Takes a day or so to kick in.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Linda.. Yes, I have been taking Colace for days... it didn't work, but Miralax and Dulcolax did.

Thanks

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2013

Betsy, so glad you are happy with how things turned out. How long will you have the drains?

Pamela, I do remember having a bit more "malaise" as you called it with stage 2.  I didn't have a fever, virus, etc. but felt generally down, didn't want to talk on the phone, had a very hard time getting out of bed for about a week after I returned home from Stage 2.  I couldn't tell if it was just my body telling me it needed to rest or if I was heading into a bit of a depression.  Anyway, after about a week I sort of forced myself to go on a long weekend getaway & it definitely helped.  I certainly hope you're feeling better soon.  

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

I am hoping to lose the drains by the end of the week. I can probably lose 2 in the next day or so.

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

Thanks Sydgrace. I started to feel a little better last night and today a major post nasal drip and sore throat so obviously I was having an unrelated pharyngitis with fever along with the surgery. I am dressed and up today, vacuumed straightened up a little and now I feel I could take a nap. So things are going in the right direction.

• LindaG47
    edited February 2013

Betsy,  So glad "everything finally came out oK." Wink

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Pamela... no vacuuming.

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited February 2013

So sorry I stumbled upon this forum by accident, and thank you to those who so graciously pointed me in the right direction. You have a great group, I can see. I wish you all the very best.

With  Aloha,

Michelle Recent bilat mastectomy with "TE's

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited February 2013

Sorry you've been sick Pamela but take it easy and as Betsy said No vacuuming!!!

Betsy, I am very interested and intrigued with your butt lift and scar revision back there. I made an appointment for a consult on Monday April 8th to see Dr D and have him show me what he can do for me and my saggy behind...lol

The way you are taking has me hopeful something can be done!!!

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Chelle... Back in November 2011 I had my first stage II and butt lift. From the side view, my butt looked lifted and no indents, but from the quarter view, the indents were there and the back love handles made it worse looking. So this time, he cut me hip to hip in the back. plus adjusted the prior incisions. He said he has been cutting hip to hip for the last few GAP cases and think it has a better outcome, no bunny tail, no indents. So far, I have to agree. Of course, I am still swollen, but very optimistic.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

oh my Betsy...you must feel a lot better.  It makes a big difference. 

Pamela- No vacuuming!!!!!!!!  So glad your fever is down and you are doing better.  You had me worried there.  Are you off pain meds yet???

Linda- When are you home?  You are so lucky to be in a warm climate.  I am in VA right now and it is 41.  Back home in Michigan in is in the low 20's.  Burr!!!

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

Hi all. Feel incredibly better. Appetite back, throat improving. Best of luck to the women going for surgery in the near future. Cherrie, Maggie (from my stage 1) and all the others.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2013

Betsy, how would you compare the butt lift post op pain/ discomfort as compared to a hip flap? Comparable/ worse? Is there another incision elsewhere in addition to the hip to hip? Glad you are liking results, you deserve it!

Pamela, glad you are feeling better. I had the flu going into stage two so can relate., not fun.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Cascader... I had virtually no pain after the hip flap, so the butt lift is definitely more painful. That said, it is the butt lift portion that is sore, not the new incision  hip to hip. In addition to the hip to hip incision across the backside, I have small incisions in the lower butt that are part of the lift. Its more of a bruising feeling, making it sore to sit on the toilet for example. It does improve everyday though.

• Lulu2012
    Lulu2012 Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2013

Dear Betsy,

Glad to hear all is going well with you.

I was curious about the "new" hip to hip technique. I had the hip flap (which looks more like a SGAP frankly) with the leftover bunny tail :-( and the big indents even after Stage 2.

So is the hip to hip new technique by Dr D simply a straight line across? And it if is then are you able to completely hide it under underwear or bikini or does it come up so much with the butt lift in all that now it's more at your waist, like a belt sitting on your jeans?

Thank you for sharing with all us "bunny tail, now old traditional hip flap/SGAP ladies".

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Lulu... I can't speak for what other docs are doing, but Dr D said this is his new technique. If it shows with a bikini (still in compression so no test yet) then it is likely I am exposing too much. It is low, just at top of butt crack. I think I will lose my hip drain tomorrow, and will switch to my marena... So I will have a better idea of how pants might fit.. I am hopeful my pants will stay up better... Dr D did say that as far as pants go, I should get some skinny pants.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2013

Thanks Betsy, I was not clear on what exactly was involved in a butt lift. Glad you are feeling better with each day.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2013

I had SGAP with Dr. M in 11/09 and I have a scar that meets in the middle, right above my tailbone. There's  small vertical scar where the two scars meet. That was done in stage 1. I still had a slight bunny tail after stage 1, until she lipoed it in stage 2.

Maybe it's a new thing they're doing for hip flaps, which are more to the sides...?  But not new for SGAP, at least for Dr. M. 

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2013

Hello,  I have the "V" scar right above my tailbone area after my recent stage 2, too.  I had hip flaps + DIEP so I know what you mean Betsy about looking like you were the assistant in a bad magician "Cutting the Lady in the Box in Half" skit! (I am sure there is a better way to describe this...Eva are you out there?!)  My scars are healing nicely, not raised, just red.  Peace!

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited February 2013

Hi All - I have Stage 2 on my hip flap reconstruction coming up on a few weeks, so am really appreciating the butt lift discussions.  Thanks for all the info.  I am debating whether to have some belly lipo during Stage 2, but am wondering if I would end up with loose skin, which I think would be worse.  Did anyone not do a tummy tuck but have some belly lipo?  If yes, how was your skin afterwards?  I don't have a ton of belly fat but would love a flatter stomach.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited February 2013

Good afternoon Ladies. Question: Did any of you have issues with the symmetry of the nips? How did the docs address the problem?

Also, when were you absolutely sure that there would be no more bills from the docs/center?

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2013

Running, I did have belly lipo, no tummy tuck at my Stage 2 about a month ago.  Super happy with the results, definitely a flatter stomach where I used to have a perpetual pouch under the belly button which kind of stuck out a bit no matter how much weight I would lose.  I haven't noticed loose skin, fingers crossed that it stays that way.  I would guess that since you don't have a lot to lipo the chances of loose skin would be minimal, but this is just my non-medical opinion...

I'm a little confused on the butt lift.  I assumed I had one as that's what I talked about with Dr. D all along but I don't have any incisions above my tailbone.  My incisions appear to be similar incisions to what came out of the Stage 1 hip flap, along the backside of either hip but not traversing my tailbone.  Maybe there are different versions of the butt lift?  

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

Last year my friend had the hip flap surgery done by Dr. S.  She has a scar from hip to hip at the level of right above the butt crease. so it's low, but it doesn't actually go into the butt at all.  I don't think she had a butt lift but Im not sure.  

Dr. S. lipoed my torso.  I am generally thin in the midriff region and I just had a small "poof" after surgery over one small section of the abd. scar.  I thought that was all he was going to lipo but he did the whole thing.  I wasn't sure I wanted it because I was afraid of loose skin also, but he said since I had the tummy tuck it would be ok.  I was never "tight" after the tummy tuck so I was still a little apprehensive.  I think its ok but a little too much color changes from the lipo yet to see for sure. 

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited February 2013

I also have my hip flap surgery coming up on March 1st. I'm going to take my bikini bottoms so Dr. Sullivan can try to keep incisions lower than my bikini:) I'm a nervous wreck about messing with my butt...but I want boobs again!!!