Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Sydgrace.... When I had my first butt lift with Dr D in Nov 2011 he reopened the original incisions across each butt cheek and did the lift. But this time, he cut me straight across the back just above the crease. He said this is a new way of doing the butt for him. And this way it prevents the bunny tail and also was a better lift.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

I pulled one of my 4 drains... YAY! I get to pull my hip drain tomorrow. YAY YAY. Then I can start wearing my Marena!!!!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

That's great Betsy. where are the remaining two?

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Both on left breast

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited February 2013

That's great news!! Did it hurt?

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

It is heaven to rid ourselves of those damn drains!! I know, I know.... " they are our friends" , but a friend that is great to say goodbye to. Yay for you.

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited February 2013

Hi Betsy - I am trying to picture how the butt lift works, given that the existing incisions/scars from Stage 1 slope downward to the middle of my butt.  Do they get opened and lift all the way up to go straight across from hip to hip?

Congrats on the drains!!  Can you pull the hip drain tomorrow based on output or is it just a certain number of days post-surgery?

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

I know I can pull the hip drain based on output... Jeanine and I spoke today. It was a little awkward pulling the right breast drain, cutting the stitch, cause I did it myself. It was an awkward angle, and had to use a mirror to see what I was doing. I can't explain myself, but I hate showing my husband my raw scars. In a couple of weeks, I won't feel this way, but until the glue comes off it doesn't look so good.

As far as the butt lift goes, I have had it done two ways. My first stage II, he reopened the same incisions;lifted and reclosed them. no new incisions, same position as before. But this second time, he made the other incision, hip to hip. He asked me what I wanted to do, but my goal was a better shape and no bunny tail, and so he said I should go with the hip to hip. I haven't taken a close look, so I am unsure where my old incision lines are now. I will report back on that. Perhaps I will even take a picture. Again, awkward position.

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013

Have any of you NOLA ladies had 3D tattoos with Vinnie at the Center?  I am talking no nipple projection from the flap or other method, but just plain 3D tattoos.  If so, can you tell me what you think?  I looked at Vinnie's site and one just has to say OMG they are remarkably so realistic!!  Do they look like that in person? Thanks, Linda

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited February 2013

Thanks for the explanation.  Happy drain pulling tomorrow!

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2013

Betsy - thanks for the explanation on the different versions of the butt lift. I'm still amazed by what these doctors do and how they are constantly coming up with new techniques.  Congrats on getting your drains out - what a great feeling!  

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited February 2013

Ttay -- I had a unilateral, so you'd have to ask one of the other ladies about BMX. In my case, Dr. D. did a nipple on the reconstructed breast in Stage 2 and I thought it was huge, but as the swelling went down, it modified significantly. My contralateral breast was considerably smaller after I lost about 30 pounds and the nipple seemed way low, so for Stage 2b, Dr. D. put a flap in it. He said that I would have to come back one more time for a modest final adjustment, but I think that the nipples are lookin' straight atcha, so all I think I need on the breasts now is the tat. The left cheek on my butt still is indented quite a bit though the right one, where he took the Stage 2b flap, is nicely filled out. I think I will have to do at least one more surgery, but I think I will also take Betsy's approach and have a consultation first and then decide on the surgery. I am hoping that when I have the consult, I can get the tat on the reconstructed breast if he says that he won't be messing with it.

On the further bills, I am going on faith that when Vicky told me exactly how much I would pay, that was it. I do have a very good health plan and they are paying mostly, but there are some things that they are balking at -- like lipo of any kind, even when it is used for fat grafting and symmetry. Symmetry is the word once the breast has been rebuilt. So, I am kinda going with the idea that, having paid the amount told, that is the last of it.

Hope you are doing well!

Maggie

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2013

Betsy, yay for Marina!!! 

Zandy and DianneNC, I added your dates to the listing above per your PMs. 

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited February 2013

Thanks so much, Maggie. I am doing well. Back and work...energy is building. Sleeping in the recliner, though. I like it better than my bed right now. I realized today that I am only 8 weeks out.

I am not happy with new nipple...at all. I most definitely would like to have it redone...but, I'm not sure about insurance and the cost. I can't even think about the tattoo because I just know I'll feel like I settled. The breast shape is beautiful. Size matches the other really well. It's just this nipple symmetry issue.

I think I'll call today and maybe get an appointment/consultation. At least I'll know what I'm dealing with.

I'm not sure if any of the ladies here had the nipples redone, though.

I hope everything is going well with you, also.

TTay

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2013

Betsy......so glad to read you are closer to the all done club. I am traveling today and had a moment to check the board. My first time back since October I think.....that is the page that I ended up at when I logged in.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Thanks Teresa...

For those asking, I have posted pictures on the forum of my buttock and breasts. I took a closer look this morning and it does seem that the original buttock incision was lifted higher and then the two incisions meet, so its not a straight line... The pictures are the best way to show what was done.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2013

Hello Ladies,

I'm a new gal on the block.  I'm a BRCA1 (found out about 1.5yrs ago)... I had a TAH-BSO last May at Hopkins.  I have been doing the surveillance thing for about 8 months.  In June 2012, my MRI had a very small spot 2mm that they saw.  Repeat MRI in Dec 2012 showed it increased to 5mm.  This is scary! U/S biopsy revealed a benign result but the radiologist wasn't even sure he found the right spot.... actually pretty sure she didn't since the spot he biopsied was about 3-4mm.  The Avon MRI guys ultimately said they thought the spot was a intramammary lymph node..(???) I think.  They want a repeat MRI in May.

I've got 5 kids and feel like I'm losing my mind worrying about this.  In the last few weeks I've been researching my heart out... I always figured I would be going to Hopkins... but now am investigating NOLA.  I called them last Friday and have been exchanging some emails since.  I am hoping to proceed with a Bi MX with DIEP sometime around Spring Break.... but I'm scared out of my wits.

I posted on FORCE because I was asked by NOLA to pick either Dr. D or Dr. S and I had no idea who to pick.  I still don't know.  But anyway... here I am and will be trying to read some of this thread to get more info.  I may have a million and one questions and I hope it's ok to post them.

Thanks ladies! :)

• celtic_antique
    edited February 2013

Mother -- Coin flip time! Really, it doesn't matter which of these wonderful surgeons you have! They are equally excellent and patient-responsive. I had Dr. D. and love the man and his gift for "sculpting" my body ... a true artist. There are as many folks here who will say the same for Dr. S. and it is all true!! No lesser choice here. Perhaps when you want the work done will help in determining which doc to have, but you can't lose either way!!

Can I get an AMEN, ladies?

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Hi MotherandChild... You have come to the right place and welcome and ask away. As far as picking a doctor, they are both great, and to be honest, even though Dr D is my doctor, Dr D and Dr S both worked together in my surgery. I would go with a random pick or whoever is available on the date you want. They are equally wonderful. I also think you are making the right choice by coming to NOLA over Hopkins. As great as JH is, it is not the best for this surgery. In addition to choosing a PS, you will need to choose a BS for the BMX. There are three doctors, but most choose Dr Stolier who now has his office right at the Center. I was just down there last week for a revisional surgery and even after 5 surgeries and 22 nights in the hospital, I am not soured by the experience. And trust me, my number of surgeries and nights in the hospital is unusual... I am their second longest resident. Most people have about 4 nights in the hospital for stage I and one night for stage II and then done.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2013

Bdavis,

OMG... that scares me to death.  This is taking a major herculean effort on the part of 3 different extended families to help us pull this off.  I have a lot of kids and a 3 yr old.  I don't know what would happen if I had to be away that long.  I'm guessing the 22 days was split over many of the surgeries...  It would still be a major major problem for me.

I am considering having my sister help me with the first part of my surgery.  Problem is my mother (who has ovarian ca) will probably want to come too.  I've read that NOLA provides sleeping arrangements for one caretaker... but two, probably not, right? 

Also, any advice on weight and surgery timing would be great to have.  I am currently in the midst of dropping some weight.  I'm pretty over weight.  I've dropped about 35-40 since August.  My plan was to drop another 40 prior to even thinking about surgery... Believe me I would probably still have plenty to work with even after that.  Now I'm thinking of doing this sooner rather than later.  Would it be an unwise choice to start Stage 1 knowing that I will try to loose a good deal of weight afterwards?

I have a new sense of urgency after having this weird spot show up on the MRI and am thinking I should take care of things sooner rather than later.... but I don't want to have everything all out of place if I'm able to drop more wieght.

How long is it before you can really aggresively exercise after stage 1?  I know that without exercising it's tough for me to lose.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

I certainly didn't want to scare you... I was telling you that even though I had a unique situation with a lot of nights in the hospital, I have no regrets. I am so very sure that you would have a seamless procedure. MOST women have no real issues... As far as caregivers, yes, they have a murphy bed in the hospital room, but if a second caregiver wanted to sleep in the recliner, I am sure it is doable. And they feed your caregiver as well... On the other hand, you may not want too many people there at one time. My mother also wanted to come, so she came with me for stage II when I didn't need the caregiver help. Stage I helpers will help with drains, pads and compression garments, plus showering etc. So your sister sounds like a good choice, and perhaps you could offer stage II to your mom. Just my 2 cents.

As far as weight, you can start exercise 4-6 weeks post stage I. So I would have the surgery in the spring and then attempt to drop weight before stage II... and perhaps delay stage II until the end of the year, giving yourself plenty of time to  heal and lose weight.

Again, don't be scared off by what I said... I really just wanted to tell you that in my unique and unusual situation I have no regrets. And yes, that was over all surgeries. I was in the hospital for 5 nights from stage I and had a BMX and GAP flap. I then had to return for a wound surgery and just stayed for them to do a DIEP flap and then Hurricane Irene hit in NJ so my caregiver couldn't fly in etc etc... it was just poor circumstances. And that trip I was in the hospital for 14 nights, but it was just because of hurricane and 2 surgeries. I haven't heard of anyone in that situation other than myself. So no worries.

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2013

bdavis:  You pulled your own drains, WOW!  I am going to the doctor tomorrow, 2 weeks post-op and hoping to get the remaining 2 hip drains pulled, they are producing a little over 30 cc's a day.  Is that when you felt it safe to pull the drains?

Sternum pain:  It still feels as if I have a 10 lb weight on my chest and my sternum hurts.  It could be where they took a little bit of rib out, any similar experiences? 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Heavenschild - I don't want to disappoit you, but I think that many surgeons recommend waiting to pull until each drain is producing less than 25 - 30 cc/day.  Sometimes they will pull one and leave one as output can increase.  

Motherand - sounds like you are making great decisions. NOLA will be wonderful.  I am 12 weeks out from Stage 1 DIEP.  I am walking a lot and doing some strength stuff, but not a lot of pec work.  Still wanting things to settle.  Please know that we are all here to help and support.  This is a great group.

I like the idea of your sister accompanying you to NOLA for Stage 1 and your mom going for stage 2.  Once you get home from Stage 1, your mom can do a lot of things for you as you will need the help. 

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2013

Motherandchild5, the Center can give you a referral for a room at the Hope Lodge (see link below) where you and your family can stay for free while undergoing treatment.  Hope Lodge is not close to the Center so your mom would need a car if she stayed there while your sister stayed with you.  My MX was done by Dr. Stolier and he is a very dear man who spent a lot of time talking with me -- I love him!  My PS was Dr. D. and he is great too, but Dr. S is also highly recommended.  You have a wonderful choice here for a change!  

It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed by all of this, but the Center will make this all a lot easier for you by taking good care of you and your caregiver, providing transportation for appointments and airport transfers, and helping you with accomodations.  The recovery is long but the relief of having the surgery and risk behind you will help you get through it.  I don't think I could do any sweaty exercise for about 2 months after Stage I. It sounds like you have great family help through the recovery period -- so much to be thankful for there.  

Best wishes with all your planning and decision-making.  I am so thankful that I found the Center and this community of women.  It's so great when you are recovering to be able to ask questions and get responses from a group of women who have been there!  

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/hopelodge/neworleans/new-orleans-staying-with-us

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2013

Heavenschild, they took a bit of cartilage from my sternum to access the blood vessels during Stage I and it was the most painful part!  You should be feeling some relief soon.  I think my drains had to be under 20 cc for 2 days before I could pull them.  I think 4 weeks is the usually the minimum for hip drains.  You don't want to know how long my hip drains were in!!!  Drains are a pain, but having needle aspirations from pulling them too soon is no fun either.  Hang in there!

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Heavenschild... My drains needed to be under 20cc for 2 days... After stage I, I had hip drains for 8.5 weeks.. it is much shorter for stage II. I pulled a breast drain at day 6 that was putting out 5cc for the last three days and my hip drain today that was also putting out 5cc for 2 days. Before that it was 19cc and 36cc... but I pumped up compression and it dried up. Jeanine was concerned there was a clot since it reduced quickly, but no clot on the exterior tubing... After I pulled it, I also checked to make sure there was no clot... hard to say, but I don't think so. I am keeping it well compressed to make sure no seroma develops. The other two are still pretty juicy. But thats the side I had the rotational flap on.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2013

mother...I was 3 nights in the hospital for stage 1 and 1 night for stage 2.  I went back to strenuous tennis three days a week exactly 6 weeks after stage 1.  Physically I could've started at 5 weeks, but they said NO aerobic activity or jumping around until 6 wks.  At about 4 weeks I started lifting low weights.  For stage 2 they are telling me I can go back to tennis at 4 weeks. Right now, the way I feel, I could physically do it in another week, two weeks post stage 2 but I have to wait.  I also am a PBM.  I had Dr. Sullivan who is great. I started to drive one week after Stage 1.  Even though recovery means you dont want anyone bumping into your chest or your might have some discomfort it doesn't mean you are not dressed, moving around and doing light activities.  

Now- follow up- Even though I had some lipo in my outer thighs they don't look any different, even in the compression garment.

The compression garment compresses but it comfortable, does that mean it is too loose? They gave me an extra large.  Last time I had a large and literally we needed two people to pour me into it.  My 83 y.o. f-i-l, ex MD helped me the first week, I know wierd, but he was my helper that week and I love him for it. I do throw it in the washer and dryer.  I will be taking it off for good after two weeks like Dr. Sullivan recommends.  It is my understanding its purpose is to prevent swelling and does not really shape the lipo areas.

Breasts- the right is perfect.  The left one, (always the wayward child), which was smaller then the right naturally, is very close in size.  The nipple which had pointed down before was stitched up and I think it still points down a little so it does not perfectly match my right. (This was a nipple sparing procedure and I opted to decline a full lift because my right side didn't need it and I didn't want to have incisions around the areola.  I knew there was the possibility there would still be a slight asymmetry without the lift.)  I think its ok.  Actually, they are incredibly more beautiful then my preop breasts.  I think if I have 90-95% perfection I will be happy.  In real life I certainly had nothing close to that, my pictures are on the picture forum.  I have noticed I have a lot more projection now then even after stage 1.  Does that mean my ultimate bra size will be larger? 

Voice is 90% normal.  Still not talking much.  What an experience coming down with the flu the day after surgery!

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2013

It's so interesting how different the drains are for each of us! When I had my rotational flap, he pulled the drains at my post op. It was nice to fly home drain free, that's for sure.

As for hospital stays, that is also different for each person. I'm an unusual case as well, but I stayed 5 nights with stage 1 and three nights for my wound issue/rotational flap. My stage 2 is in 2 weeks, and they tell me to expect one night. Honestly, I will be shocked if I only stay one night and I already programmed the hotel phone number into my hubby's phone so he can call them if we will be delaying our check in.

I'm curious about the nipple issue, too. I'm considering not having him do the nipples at stage 2. (See above: unusual case :) My fear is that I will need a stage 2b and I don't want any insurance struggles. If I hold off on nipples, I'm thinking it will be easier to get a 2b approved. Am I worrying for nothing? I've always been an optimist, but this year has taught me to plan b just in case.

Has anyone out there done tattoos only, and have you been happy with the results?

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2013

Betsy-- just checked your pictures and you look awesome!!! (I'm helpmenola on that site) your scars are practically invisible. I can't feel mine, but they are still purple-pinky...even my DIEP scar that is nearly a year old now. My rotation flap scar is not pretty at all, and I'm hoping he can do something with it at stage 2. The other scars I can live with because they are covered, but the scars from that shows in every bathing suit I have. :(

Now to lose 30 pounds in the next 2 weeks !!! :)

• celtic_antique
    edited February 2013

OK, techno-baby here. How do we see photos?