Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited January 2013

Good luck ladies!!! I'm praying for you both!!!

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2013

Betsy and Pamela,

Can't wait to hear from you all. I'm praying as well for both of you.

TTay

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2013

Hoping all went well for Betsy and Pamela!

I've got something I've been thinking about a bit and wanted to ask you all.  Did any of you all receive follow up calls from either the Docs or any staff at the Center after your Stage 1?  I did not receive a single call, although was told I would receive several.  Don't get me wrong, they always promptly returned my calls, but I didn't get the unpromted follow up that I thought I would.  Just wondering if I might have slipped through the cracks somehow.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2013

I got weekly calls from a nurse or PA after each surgery. Often on Friday afternoons. If I called about something during the week or if we emailed, that communication took place of the weekly call. I think it worked out to unprompted calls about 1/3 of the time. 'Cause i had questions! And I'd email updates. Never did I talk to the doc!

• 4my4babies
    4my4babies Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2013

Funny you should ask that Audrella. When I was at my post ip last week the Dr. S (who saw me because Dr. D's surgery was running long) commented that the PA (Laura would be calling every week to check in.) After I got home I was visiting with a friend who had her BMX w/ DIEP 5 weeks before I had mine. I mentioned something about them calling and she said the only call she ever received was the one from the hospital the day after she was discharged. She called down there a couple of times but no one ever called her. Other than a return call after I sent some pics down after my poat op, I haven't received an checking on you calls either. And actually, when I sent my pics down I mentioned that (about my friend) in the email. Told them there may be some miscommunication between somebody because the regular calls clearly aren't regular and I thought they would want to know so they can get it straightened out.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

I got regular calls from Jeanine and Laura, but I pestered them with regular emails. 

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2013

After Stage 1, I didn't get any calls until after I called them. Stage 2, I got regular calls.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2013

I don't know if it is different because I live in the NOLA area but I never got regular calls, I only received calls if I had called and left a message.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2013

They called me unless I had already called them that week.  If I needed anything they were VERY prompt in returning calls or answering e-mails.

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2013

It has been a long time since I have posted on here.  It takes a while to catch up!  I had stage one using hip flaps on June 5, 2012.  My breast look really good and don't need much at stage 2.  My hips on the other hand will need some work - big indentations.  I still have pain in the hip area.  It has slowly improved.  I think I have some pain from the scar tissue.  It is really uncomfortable to try to run.  I am hoping that scar tissue will be removed at Stage 2.  I was planning to have stage 2 in March but rescheduled for May 29th so I will have almost a year between stage 1 and stage 2.  What is done to the hips at stage 2 to take care of the indentations, bunny tail, and dog ears?  Can you tell much of a difference?  Will pants fit differently?

Hoping that everything went great for Betsy and Pamela today.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2013

Hi e verbody! Thanks for your kindly good wishes. I feel great. I was out of surgery in 3 hrs for stage 2 at qbout 10:30 am. It is now about 10 pm. I slept most of the day on off. The only discomfort i have so far is that i feel there is a tight band across my braline. Otherwise nothing yet. I do not feel the lipo soreness yet. I just had foley out and peed. I walked around the nurse's station 3 tomes without any problems. Still a little groggy but feel great. I dont know which way he went but we discussednitnagain n the holding area. He thought about paln a and we decided it it results in bein being a little tubular (which i dont want, he wll go with plan b- a full lift. He told my husband " she will be happy" post op so i am excited. The care here is first class. I!ve worked in many different hospitals to know this. In addition i have a 45 inch plasma tv- which i havent watched because my husband was reading. There was a mix up with the limo who was supposed to pick me up at the airport, so we took a cab and they reimbursed us the $38.00. They gave me $40.00, what q first class operation! ,All the ice cream you can eat also. The bed is SUPER comfortable. Granite on the counter top wjere the tv is. Much creature cmforts. No crazy hustle/bustle like a hospital, serene. They gave me a blower in holding to war. Up my arm where the IV fluids were going in and making it chilly. This, i had never seen. Have not yet Betsy, but i am sure she is nin a neighborng room. Tomorrow they said they will ask her if she wants w visitor. So, thank you all again anid this place truly is greart!

• Pamela44
    edited January 2013

By the way. They are half full on the floor and my sursing ratio is one nurse to every two patients. At leaqst for stage 2 i dont know about stage 1.

• lastar
    edited January 2013

Yay!  Glad you are up and at 'em!  Have a good rest!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2013

Pamela- So glad everything went well. Way to go at getting up and walking around so sound!!

Jane123- Thanks for letting us know about your ultrasound. What a relief I am sure! It is so nice to hear compliments on Dr D's great work isn't it?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013

Hi all, I am back.. My surgery was 6.5 hours. Got to the room around 5:30. Room 207 Pamela. I am going to stay on foley through the night. I have slept basically since getting into the room. Not hungry, but super thirsty.

So not sure which is plan a or b for the butt, but I think dr d did the one with an added incision straight across over crack. No pain at all, but they do have me medicated.

Pamela. Come by anytime. I can't come to you yet... What room are you? I have nurse Laura.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2013

So glad you both are well. Too funny reading your post surg posts. Keep up the happy pills!

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013

Beth, you amaze me.  Already up and posting.  Glad you did well and are feeling good.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Linda upright, but not up and out.

Marty.. I had to re-read mine. Do I sound like I am on narcotics? I am using an iPad and I find it annoying to type on.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2013

Great to hear from you ladies! Sending you both healing energy!

• lastar
    edited January 2013

You sound great, Betsy! Thanks for checking in, ladies. I've been thinking about you two all day.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Just lost the foley and walked to the bathroom on my own. 4 drains..and lots of ABD pads..I was also super dizzy and nauseous... But feeling better now..

• Pamela44
    edited January 2013

Betsy glad u are feeling ok qnd soing well. I had the foley taken out last evening. Did 11 laps around the nuring station yesterday. Did not know but i also had a basal rate for pain meds and probably that is why i felt so great. We now turned off the basal rate but i can still push the button if i need to. Betsy I am in room 217 and later after breakfast and a walk i will come to say hello. You can also visit me at anytime.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited January 2013

So good to hear from you on this side, Pamela & Betsy. Have a good day up & around as best you can.

I started PT for my stiff axilla this week at 6 weeks post-stage 2. I think it is a little looser already, but not yet comfortable. I have 6 more sessions. Thanks to those of you who had that discussion a while back saying it makes a big difference getting PT. I was exercising the arm but thought I'd have to live with the hard and stiff scars. The therapist really massaged those scars yesterday! I'm supposed to do the same, but she's better.

On the topic of getting phone calls at home post-op, I was told the same, that I'd get a weekly call after both stages. I didn't get calls from the Center, but a hospital nurse called once. The Center has been responsive when I call or email, though. I finally called about questions when I didn't hear from anyone.

• Pamela44
    edited January 2013

Sqme with me. In the first 2-3 weeks i called about 3 times and got timely call backs. My one and only percipitated call from the cent was when laura called me about 4 weeks post surgery.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited January 2013

Speedy healing Betsy and Pam!

Preferences

§

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

/

shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2013

Downey...just curious about your posts. Why is there such a long single lined addition on the bottom of them?

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2013

Jamie - it's doing it again!  I really am mystified.  Gotta be an interesting glitch.  Do you see it when you type into the reply box or does it happen after you click submit?  Love computers.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Pamela... I too only have a pain button as needed... I have only pushed it twice. Last night after they pulled the foley, I was nauseous and dizzy, so I have only walked around my room, but will venture out to the hall soon. I may opt for another night here. I had a lot of work done.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2013

Finally am able to get back on my I-pad. It is wonderful to hear from Betsy and Pamela already. We are warriors!!!! I go in 3 weeks so it is comforting to see these posts. Sending healing thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

After stage 1, Dr. M called me every Sundayfor four weeks. I always sent pics in on Fridays. If I emailed Becky she always responded.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

I have received some calls, but I called and emailed so often that they probably didn't see the need to call me just because.