Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

Judy, I should clarify... those who choose to have a MX and recon in NOLA because they are BRCA positive and have not had a cancer diagnosis cannot stay at the Hope Lodge... But if someone has ever had a cancer diagnosis whether they are BRCA + or - can stay there.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2013

I guess I would qualify then.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited March 2013

You will feel super by 7 weeks. I actually went to the gym and walked the treadmill today, just a little over a week out from 2b. I did 2 miles in 30 minutes. It is a bigger battle for me to hold off on the more intense stuff because I feel fine. Like Betsy I am waiting the full six weeks to give my grafting the best chance to stick around. I had very little done this round though. The nipple reconstruction is a breeze.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2013

Ladies I haven't read threw all the posts but I will tomorrow, but I just wanted to share what happened tonight. My husband has been planning a surprise birthday party for me (birthday was valentines day) and I had friends from all over come including my amazing friend who I stayed with while I was having my surgeries in NOLA. She's been one of my best friends for over 20 years and she made the trip here this weekend for me. She is getting married in 5 weeks in NOLA and I can't wait to stand by her side.

Then, my husband proposed to me again!!! After the year we have had with all my surgeries, he has been my rock the entire way through. We have been through so much over the 21 years we've been together and this was just amazing night all the way around!!!

I love all of you and I wanted to share in my amazing night!!!

We will be renewing our vows sometime this year :-)

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Aw... CONGRATULATIONS... how romantic... Your husband sounds wonderful!!! How considerate and loving.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2013

So much to celebrate!  Congratulations!  

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2013

Aww Chelle you are definitely a lucky woman. I too have a husband like yours and it truly made this not so fun journey so much easier.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Awww, Chelle, thank you for sharing!  Wonderful husband plus fantastic friend = one happy girl!  Most loved.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

Chelle, he's one of the good ones! Hang on to him for sure! Congratulations!

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2013

Chellehump,

What a great thing! You are lucky to have such a great husband. I hope the rest of 2013 is great for you as well.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013

That's a great story Chelle. You're very fortunate to have such wonderful family and friends~!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

Chelle...love hearing things like this!!! So happy for you:)

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

I love happy news chelle. Congrats!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

Chelle- wow! It makes you feel loved and special. It was such a thoughtful thing to do. Having such support around you is awesome. Congratulations!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

Good luck tomorrow Mags!

Mar 5 - Mags20487 - Retry for leftie.  Gap to replace the failed diep on the left side. Dr. M., NOLA.

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

Maggie we are all here cheering for you. You are going to do grrrrrreat!! Enjoy your evening. Can't to to hear from you!!

• chellehump
    edited March 2013

Thank you all so much!!! You ladies are all strong and amazing and I hold a special place in my heart for each of you that I just wanted to share .

It was absolutely amazing and I just can't stop staring at it and watching the video over and over again. He's an amazing man and loves me no matter what and with everything we have been through in the past 21 years, I know we can get through anything life throws at us!!

Thank you all for all the love and support on this board!! Hugs!!

Mags we are all praying and cheering for you!!! Its all going to be ok!! Enjoy your evening!!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited March 2013

Chelle, what a great weekend! It sounds like 2013 is off to a good start for you. Thank you for sharing and Congratulations! Your husband is very kind and caring man. So glad we got meet each other even if it was only for a short while in the waiting area last year. I am so happy for you!

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2013

Marcie47 - Dr. D was my surgeon for Stage 1.  If I was given lovanox shots in the hospital, I don't remember it.  I definitely did not give myself any shots.  Now I am wondering if someone forgot or if it depends on other factors...hmm.

Mags - good luck with your surgery this week.  It is going to be great!  Positive thoughts.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

KSue - probably depends on the PPT test which checks clotting factors and depends on the surgeon.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

Chelle...what an awesome story..soooo sweet! We are checked in at Hope Lodge..pre ops starting early tomorrow...trip here went smooth. Relaxing and ready for bed...soooo tired. Thank you all for the amazing support..it is well received!!

Maggie 2

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

*LIKE*

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

So... as you may remember, my stage IIb included another butt lift and the incision goes across my backside...just above the butt crease. Well. Laura cleared me for exercise at 4 weeks, for Zumba, but I felt with fat grafting I will delay the "jumpy" stuff til 6 weeks, so by choice I am not doing step, zumba or full fledged spin classes with standing and jumping... This morning (4.5 weeks post surgery) I went to spin, and stayed in the saddle. But you know how a bike seat can be uncomfortable even without a butt lift, so after 35 minutes, I had had enough. (did the same last Wednesday)... but today, after I got home, my incision was and is hurting. It hurts right at the top of the butt crease.I wonder if sitting on that bike put undue stress on the incision. So I emailed Jeanine and she said to take it easy and report back if it doesn't improve. Anyone else have this incision pain so far past surgery?

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2013

I had incision pain above my tailbone for many months after stage 1 and 2, probably because there's a knot of scar tissue there.  It still hurts to sit for long periods, although I don't know for sure that's related to the scar tissue.

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

Maggie- sleep tight sister. My prayers are with you girl.

Ouch Betsy! Maybe give it more time. You have come so far!!!!!

My hubby pulled my last drain out. DRAIN FREE!

• chellehump
    edited March 2013

Betsy yes!! My incision on my butt hurt for days after doing a spinning class. I was just chalking it up to scar tissue and the fact my scars are so far down my backside. This was a 30 minute "express" class thank goodness, but I almost walked out after 15 minutes cause it hurt so bad. I even tried folding up my towel and sitting on that, but it didn't help.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2013

Mags- wishing you a successful, easy surgery!

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2013

Chelle, That's such a sweet story...glad you had such a great weekend.

This thread has been really active; I'm trying to catch up...so many surgeries. Huggggsss to all the ladies coming up for surgery and those that have just gone through.

I'm heading down to NOLA some time this month for a consult about symmetry...just to let Dr. T take a look to see how things are progressing so that if we need to plan Stage IIb, I can start planning.

• 4my4babies
    4my4babies Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2013

Hello all - it's been quite a while since I posted but I have tried to keep up with how everyone is doing. I was 6 weeks out stage 1 DIEP this past Thursday and all is good! I still have a spot along my right breast incision that I'm having to take care of but I can finally say that it is going to heal. This was a quarter-sized, triangle-shaped area that apparently didn't get enough blood flow and the tissue died. I have been having to treat it and keep it covered so it could heal from the inside. It's going to leave a pretty wicked scar but Dr. D said from day 1 that it wasn't going to be a problem because he will get rid of it at stage 2 (which is April 19th!)

I have a quick question for those of you have already had your stage 2. I live only 3 hours from Nola and wondered if anyone had gone down for a stage 2 pre-op consult prior to the day before pre-op visit. I was talking to Jeanine last week and asked her whether that was something I needed to schedule. She said some do, but it wasn't necessary and most women don't if for no other reason than they are too far away.

My husband was actually the one who suggested it. He said "what if they throw you a curve ball and you hear something you need time to think about? Or what about to give you a chance to think about what he's actually going to do?". I said "like what?" and he said "I don't know, but what if you did?". I still have no idea of what I might hear but it did get me to thinking about it. They have only seen my healing spot via pics and i have one area over my an incision that might be a seroma so they could check those things out in person. But I really don't think it's necessary for just those reasons.

Does anyone have any thoughts of why it might be worthwhile to go for an early (say 1 month out) stage 2 pre-op consult with Dr. D?

Thanks!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2013

Chelle... Amazing... soak in the love... How lucky you are!

Mags... In my thoughts... I will think of you tomorrow and pray for you.

Yay Cherrie! No more drains... How exciting for you!

Bdavis.... Girl, please take it easy... I marvel at your eagerness to exercise, you're an inspiration.  I hope you feel better...

4my4babies... Congrats on getting thru Stage 1 of DIEP.... how exciting.

I've been having a lot of second thoughts this week. Mostly since I'm prophylactic (even tho' there is suspicious area found on MRI that they are watching).... I wonder if I should be in better shape before doing Stage 1 DIEP in 8 weeks.  I'm so conflicted.  I'm overweight and am so scared to have terrible results/complications because of that.  I've read the risk of seromas with overweight women is almost a certainty. I'm down 43lbs today! Yay.... but still need another 40+ to feel and look decent and feel like I'm in good shape.... and even then I'll still have plenty of meat on my bones.

I hate to put off the surgery... but I also hate to not be my best self before such a massive surgery. Frown

xxooo