Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2013

My understanding is that Lovenox is for subcutaneous use and wherever it goes, it needs to go into fat rather than muscle. I found pinching up the fat helped a lot.

• lfk04
    lfk04 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2013

Hi Everyone- i have been reading your posts religiously for the past week, since i have once again have to go down the reconstruction path.. You are are so brave and have so much experience and insight among you. That said, can anyone tell me how to sign up to the "ask the doctor, Dr. D. " site..?   I have scrolled up and down it a million times but cannot figure it out- I am sure its simple, but my brain is mush- thanks

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2013

Hello,  Today is my one year mastectomy/stage 1 anniversary.  I cannot believe it has been a year.  I am feeling great.  Went XC skiing yesterday and felt normal - strong and happy.  Thank you everyone for all your information and support.  This site and FORCE is the reason I considered NOLA.  Thank you again! Peace, Tamara   

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

The blood thinner I was given at Magna in Chicago was done in the stomach. Maybe it just doesn't matter. It works for us as my husband does this. One more to go!!

Russell, you will love the care you get at Fairway. It was very nice there. Thinking of you and Running for sanity. This must be your pre-op day. Relax with a nice dinner,and breathe deep. (((Hugs)))) Try to sleep well. We will be waiting to hear from you. Start that Miralax. Wish I had.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Lfk04 - see the top of this page. There are instructions for how to post on the Ask the Doctor site.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Magna gave me the shot in the arm. Maybe it just doesn't matter. Last one this morning, yahoo! Ordering my marena this morning. It's payday:) My Veronique garments keep sliding down. I have lost thirteen pounds since stage 1. Goal is twelve more before my one year DIEP anniversary. On the maintain current weight until six week recovery mark now!

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2013

new question ... two days ago I found a round, small (size of a pencil eraser), hard lump just under my diep abdm incision. It is moveable but not sore ~ actually I'm not sure it's not sore as I have no sensation there.  Any thoughts?

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2013

Paula Kay, I suggest not worrying but having it checked.

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Paula Kay - I have several of them that developed recently.  Not worrying.  Dr M will work her magic in April at Stage 2.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Could it be scar tissue? I have many small lumps on incision. I have scar revision in May and hope this gets dealt with.

My Marena's come today!! Hope they fit.

Anita, why do you need to maintain weight for 6 weeks? Is this something we should all be doing? Just wondering.

• willy5js5
    edited February 2013

I don't want to slow down recovery by cutting calories or extra nutrition, especially protein. More importantly, I don't want to gain any weight back while activity is limited. Just my personal preferences.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2013

Paula....I had many lumps like that in my abdominal scar and Dr. D. removed them at stage 2.  Mine was scar tissue. They were various sizes, some tiny, some quite large.  Just be sure to tell your Dr. about them, because Dr. D. didn't mention them until I brought it up.

One week post op yesterday and I unveiled the nips....wowza. Cute as can be, but very prominent!  I know they will reduce significantly over time, but how long does this take?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Audrella... They will shrink as soon as you take the guards off all together and a bra rubs against them

Linda, you need to "login" using post and doc as user name and password. its just a SPAM thing.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2013

Paula Kay- I had many lumps in the middle of my abdominal incision.  I was a little frightened but intellectually I knew they were scar tissue.  They were.  Dr. S removed them in stage 2, he said he sees this all the time, so I wouldn't worry.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited February 2013

Cherrie..I have to reschedule my surgery:( I developed an infection in my right expander and had it removed Monday night by my ps here in Ca. Dr. S wanted to proceed but after my ps and him talked they both agreed to reschedule in about 4-6 weeks ...ugh!!!

• Kim_L
    Kim_L Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2013

Hey everyone!  I'm doing well after my BMX and GAP flap on Tuesday with Dr. Stolier and Dr. D.  A shower is on my schedule for today and I'm very eager to get my first glimpse of my body.  My vanity seems healthy at least!  :D

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Yeah Kim!  You are sounding terrific.  Hope you enjoy your shower.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Yay Kim. Sorry Melanie I should have remembered this.

My new Marena's came today. I will put them on when the pain has lessened from lipo. My hubby pulled one of my drains. It was so simple. I'm off narcotics today and I am on cloud nine. It's the little things. 😄

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Yay Kim... Yay Cherrie...

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Yay Cherrie!  One less drain!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited February 2013

I am curious about the blood thinner that everybody is talking about, is that something that needs to be done after the surgeries? I never heard it mentioned before. Congratutions to all the girls that are over their most recent hurdles.

Mags you will be in my thoughts for your upcoming surgery, all good thoughts and quick recovery :)

Also Russell, I am Sooo sorry to hear about your infection and reschedule, but will send good thoughts your way as well.

Hope everybody has a wonderful weekend.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

You will be sent home with a prescription called Lovanox. It is an injectable med. I am on my last one tomorrow. I had 7 days worth this time. My husband does this for me. The medicine stings a little but the needle I don't even feel. This med is to prevent blood clots, which is important after the surgeries we are having.

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Hi Marcie - Dr. Massey, the NOLA docs and the Charleston docs all give their patients blood thinners during and after surgery (Stage 1 and beyone).  The post surgery thinners are given via self injection.  It is really easy to do and you get the hang of it pretty quickly.  It is only for 7 days.  Don't let it freak you out.  Sort of one of those little spoken of rites of passageWink.

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

I didn't have blood thinners for my DIEP.  One time I am happy to be outside of the "in" crowd. lol

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2013

I haven't heard about the blood thinners either. I'm always learning new things about my upcoming surgery.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2013

I had blood thinners during my hospital stay for Deip I but not after the hospital. I had none for after the hospital after stage 2 either.

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

I had blood thinners after my GAP and DIEP, and I believe after stage II (all in the hospital).. Only after the GAP did I have the script to take home, but I had a blood clot, so I attributed it to that... After this stage IIb, no blood thinners that I remember, but they may have given me some and I don't remember.

• willy5js5
    edited March 2013

Nice to hear from you Kim. Thoughts for a smooth recovery to you. Good luck tomorrow runningforsanity.

Congrats to all for the little hurdles behind you. Each one feels like a giant leap forward for me:)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

I started taking Myralax 3 days prior to each surgery, and I did fine. Otherwise, I was totally stopped up and had major major issues. 

For the record, after having gone through it, I do not recommend plication to anybody. My take: it is WAY too much recovery for the minimal benefit you get. Others may feel differently, but that is my story and I am sticking to it. It has taken me years and I am not exagerating. I would really ask the doc what cosmetic benefit you would get, if any, before asking for them to do this in stage 2. 

• addidas1120
    addidas1120 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2013

Russel1.  I will be there in the same time frame for same sgap :)