Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited March 2013

Davis, Do what makes you feel complete.....

btw...what does clean up incisions mean on your post?

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

Springtime..thank you for adding my date<3</p>

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

hello again.  yesterday I was able to get up and sit in the chair.  still no shower...ick..within a few minutes of the sitting the flap felt like it was going to explode.  red swollen and painful..off came the bra..dr m came right up to see me...sounds are good on the flap but the skin around it is terribly infected...kinda like cellulitis...hurts like a mother..she took the compression off to give the flap somewhere to drain and put me on 2 broad spectrum antibiotics and i am back to the bed...prob will be here til middle of next week at the earliest.  not quite what I had hoped for but at least the flap is holding its own.

Maggie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Ah, Maggie, stay brave.  You are in the best place for care and Dr. M is right by your side.  We are all pulling for you and your flap!

• Kim_L
    Kim_L Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2013

Mags, I'm so happy to hear from you!  I just left the hospital where you are last week and tho we've never met or even corresponded, the fact I can imagine your situtation and your environment so clearly makes me feel very close to you.  I'm following your posts very avidy and rooting for you so hard!  Go flap, go! 

I have all the confidence in the world in your medical team, and I believe that they are taking the best possible care of you.  I'm sending you all the healing vibes I can muster, and doing creative visualizations of your body winning this battle against inflammation and/or infection with the help of good medicines.  Since I know a virtual hug won't press on your tender bits, here's one for you {{{{Mags}}}}.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2013

Mags, the flap is holding its own!  That's great!  Keep positive, the antibiotics will work! My best wishes to you.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

Ditto on all of the above Maggie. I am so sorry that healing has been rough for you. You have a circle of friends here closing around you. Rest well.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

The power of prayer, love and good energy combined with the great care you have there will help you pull through this rough patch, try and relax and let everybody carry you {{{{hugs}}}}

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2013

Mags I am praying for you and your flap. Rest well and think positive thoughts. Just know you have a whole bunch of people praying and cheering you on. Sending gentle hugs your way!!!

Chelle

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

What does "Partial removal of rib" mean? I read my insurance approvals for procedures. Ok this sounds really painful...Please help me understand this....Thanks!!!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

At the sternum, the doctor does a rib resection, removing a little rib to give access to the vessels. After surgery, it feels a little bruised, but oddly isn't really painful.This is just how they do it. I remember when I read that for the first time... freaked me out a little....

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

ok good to know..Thank you so much bdavis:)

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2013

I got my approval letters today from my insurance and in one letter they approved my mastsectomy on the left side and for the CTA but in another letter for the reconstruction they need more info...what more info do they need it has breast reconstruction on it. I'm sure the center will take care of it and get it all approved before I go down for surgery cause I have everything booked and all my tests done.

• Louisianagirl40
    Louisianagirl40 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2013

Hi! I have been reading this thread all day and I have to say that all of you ladies are a wealth of knowledge.  I've been a lurker the last 5 months but now have decided to jump in and finally post!! I have my Stage 2 surgery scheduled at SCSH with Dr. D on April 18.  I finished my chemo three weeks ago and am so excited to be on the other side of this journey. You all seem so amazing and I look forward to getting to know you all!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Judy - I got a letter from insurance saying they needed more information to approve the reconstruction.  Dr. Massey's office talked with them about what was needed and got right on it.  No problem at all, kinda.  It was funny really, the coding used for removing a damaged implant is in the same group of codes used for accidental injuries.  After the recon, I got a letter from insurance saying they couldn't pay until I provided more information about how I was injured.

Louisianagirl40 - Welcome!  Glad to hear from you.  Your DIEP was a month before mine and you will have stage 2 just after I do.  It is nice to be moving on.

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

Welcome Louisianagirl. My stage 2b will be on May 10. I am 2 weeks out of 2a. You will learn so much here and have a lot of support.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

Today was a tough one..saw dr m twice... getting2 broad spectrum antibiotics thru iv..they had to redo the iv in neck as it was leaking meds into the tissue..youch..its in my hand now and the injections are kinda painful... more meds tonight thru the night...it is basically cellulitis of the radiated skin

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2013

Hello ladies

I am booked for the 18th of March. I am heading down there this Thursday for the pre-op on Friday.

Have to admit I am a little freaked out/nervous about everything.

I have hope lodge booked for the whole time so I hope it will be okay.

The homewood suites was fully booked. Not sure why?

Mags I wish you a speedy recovery!!

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

Welcome Louisanagirl:) You are lucky to be so close to such good doctors! Also, you are almost done in such a short time compared to most of us. Wishing you the very best outcome!

Judy..I'm sure that will be taken care of, but just stressful to read that so close to surgery.

Mags...I hope you will be able to get some sleep and wake up to it getting better. Hugs!!

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

Marcy pt..I believe there is a Jazz festival going on now. I hear the Hope Lodge is great. I am going in about a month and am nervous to, but can't wait to move on:)

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Marcy... Its probably a convention... Did Katie try for you? I tried one trip to get a room at HWS and it was booked and yet Katie was able to help me. Jazz Fest isn't til the end of April, so can't be that.

Louisiana Girl... I was down there while you were recovering... Came to the hospital to visit Jenifer.. You will be great!! Love Dr D.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited March 2013

My experience with booking at Homewood.  I was told that they have rules about minimum stays during certin times.  I tried to book the hotel using their on line system -trying to check in, checking out for surgery, and then checking in again after surgery.  I kept getting a message saying they were all bookied.  When I actually called the hotel and told them I was going to the Center for surgery they told me they would reserve the rooms for me. In my case there was no problem getting a reservation when I actually called the hotel in NOLA.   (As an aside they can get filled up when the Saints are playing in town and I am sure for other events.)    

• Louisianagirl40
    Louisianagirl40 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2013

I do feel so fortunate to be so close to these wonderful doctors.  I live about 4 hours from New Orleans.

It's a small world! It's crazy how all of our paths cross....

• Kim_L
    Kim_L Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2013

Hey everyone!  I'm a couple weeks out from my NOLA BMX & SGAP, and I'm doing pretty well recovering at home, but here's a question for you.

My drains only seem to get fluid when I loosen my compression garment.  It's easy to see how this works, the compression kinks or mashes the hoses and there's no flow, but... I'm not exactly sure how to strike a balance between compressing my donor site, and actually letting the fluid that's accumulating there come out!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!  Anyone?

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2013

Hi,  I am scheduled for my 2B or 2C, I'm not sure which.  I still have pretty good dents in my hips and the breasts need shaping.  My DH (who has been great through all of this) is balking about me having any work on the hip area.  He says it looks fine and I am just being a perfectionist.  I don't know how to make him understand.  I know he worries about the surgeries and recoveries.  In the end I'll probably do whatever is recommended at my pre-op in April.  He's just not getting that I'm close but not there. Hopefully, with a good long life I'll have lots of time to look at it!  It has been a haul to get to this point so I'm just not willing to throw in the towel just yet. Any suggestions?  Thanks for listening.

Mags,  you are in my thoughts so very much.  Try to stay positive.....visualize a healthy boob.  We are all so pulling for you.  Hugs, Jamie

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

If anybody wants me to add dates, please PM me! Welcome to the newbies! 

Mags, :)  

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

Jamie, try using the anology that wine perfects over time. I am in the same dilemma as I have had 2 surgeries and looking at two more. I used the wine theory on my hubby as he thinks I look great now. I explained that I was doing this for me. I also reminded him that the recoveries are much shorter than the first time around. I know he will support me through this. You deserve this.

Kim, are your drain tubes coming through slits in your compression garment. Dr. M made slits to pass the tubes through. If so, maybe the slits need adjusting. You are right that both compression and drainage are very important. Call your doctor tonight!

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Jamie.. I agree that I want what I want.... I never really asked my husband what he wants, cause its my body... I just say up front that I may need a small tweak... and then told him what I wanted done... He was upset about the first surgery, but hasn't had any issues with the subsequent ones...

Kim... I would make sure that when you put on your compression that the hoses are well padded, and not pushing into your skin... and guide them as they come out of your skin all the way up out of the girdle. Am I making sense? So if its the right hip, cut a slit in an ABD pad and slip it around the hose at the drain site, then add ABD pads on your belly and bit by bit zip up your compression garment. It should be a straight shot from the drain site out of the girdle and then to the bulb without kinks.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Does anybody who has been to Nola after radiation happen to know if dr d can laser the radiation tattoos off? I have one right below where all my necklaces fall above where my cleavage will be, would love to have it gone!!!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies, I have been catching on everyone's posts. Maggie- hope things continue to go well for you. Sounds like Dr. Massey is certainly looking out for you!

I have my BRCA diagnosis last February and cannot yet believe what has changed over a course of a year. I am almost 3 months post Stage 2. Things still feel a bit tight and the incisions over the hip (from the mini tummy tuck) are a bit red. Enjoying wearing jeans again and dress pants again!

I understand other posts here about being emotional. I am so happy with my results, it is the mental part that I feel I am starting to come to terms with. My husband and family have been extremely supportive and wonderful. I do feel that because the surgeries are now behind me, they feel everything goes back to normal. That is true in some sense, yet I feel it takes time to comes to terms with everything my body has been through- mentally and physically. I think my husband is a bit shy about the physical part..not always easy to talk about and know its okay to talk about with you all here. It may not be him as much as me?

I also decided to change careers at the beginning of this year. I was not sure I was really for more change but I didn't know when the opportunity would present itself again. I am hoping I made the right decision and once again working to be patient with myself as it is another change in my life. I know I would not have had the courage to pursue this dream, until going through this experience last year. Just lots of changes that I am trying to process I guess.

Thanks for all the wonderful ladies here who continue to remain on this board to support others just starting their journey.

Wishing a strong recovery to all recovering and positive thoughts to those with upcoming surgeries!