Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2013

Maggie, saw your post on Facebook, sending prayers, hugs, and healing vibes!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2013

Russell,

The rib thing was very surprising. I am one of the rare ones who found it painful, but didn't know I'd had it done. So I was certain that the cancer had spread to my sternum, and just happened to start hurting immediately after my BMX and DIEP. What a relief to find out! This cancer stuff really plays tricks with my mind.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2013

Kerry, I'm in the exact same place emotionally. Everyone kind of feels like everything should just go back to normal, but I'm still processing everything. I've said to a few people that I may look the same to everyone but I don't feel the same. So much has changed and I have to get used to my new normal.

Mags, praying hard for you!!! Hugs!!

You ladies are all amazing!!!

Chelle

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

Marcie, I asked for mine to be removed,but it did not happen. I have a very visible black dot. Oh well. Maybe my dermatologist.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Cherrie, thanks for sharing your experience, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, even though it is such a tiny mark, I hate it being a constant reminder right there, and believe it or not people ask what it is! I think I just need to rethink my thinking and use it as a positive tool to help others.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

I would like tattoo and scar from port gone too. They are a reminder. That should be a freebie for sure!!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

I agree Melanie. It seems like an easy thing. It is such a visible reminder and other people do notice it.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

My port scar is more visable than any recon scar, and Dr D did work on those for me... I have the port scar and I also had a scar on my clavicle where they had to cut me to get the port unstuck (It had grown into the tissue)... At the clavicle, you can hardly see anything now (Thanks Dr D) and the port scar is much better too... I had a ton of scar tissue that he got rid of.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

My port scar is barely visible, but I really hated that thing, hate hate hate. I was begging them at the end of chemo to get it out and just use my veins. That was the best things about mastectomy, getting the friggin port out! I have a girlfriend who loved hers so much she cried when they took it out. She keeps it in her jewlery box! (everybody is different!!)

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

Hello here, s todays update...dr m says plan to stay til atleast sat in hosp with iv ab and then hopefully by then we will be ahead of the infection. It seriously looks like a play oy bunnies boob impla t that ten sizes too big for her...want the swelling gone so I an get some relief

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Maggie - you sound frustrated, but hopeful.  We all know you are going to get on top of this and by Saturday the infection will be gone!  No infection is strong enough to stand up to all of us!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Mags, we are all pulling for you, keep up the hard work and get better soon. Keeping you in my prayers.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

Martyj I am very frustrated but making the best of it..it was great to be able to leave the four walls of myroom..I have never been onbedrest so I am adapting...thinking once I heal iam waiting a while for stage 2

Thanks all for the amazing support and kindness....changes daily as to what is up so gotta go with the flow

Maggie

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited March 2013

Maggie, you are a strong gal!! Thanks for keeping us all posted. We are cheering you on!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2013

Thanks Cherrie and Bdavis for the great advice.  It's kind of an emotional roller coaster.  We'll all get there.

Mags,  pulling for you.  You too "will get there" like they said.....there are many of us pulling for you.  Jamie

• MartyJ
    edited March 2013

Pre-op blood work done.  3 weeks til stage 2.  So thankful that surgery will be right here in town, but I am also not as focused on preparing.  

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2013

Marty,  I'm the same.  I have had a new EKG which I promptly flunked (always do) and am going to do my blood work in the next day or two.  It will roll around  before we know it.  I have company coming the Friday right after my surgery....that should be interesting.  It always seems to work out.  Great for you to be so close.

• Kim_L
    Kim_L Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2013

Hey everyone!  In some ways I'm doing ok about 2 weeks out from my BMX and SGAP, but in some ways I'm really struggling.   My right breast feels much much harder and noticeably more pink than the left and this distresses me so much!  My temperature is normal.  I'm still in a good amount of pain, but not unbearable amounts, and the pain doesn't seem very different from one side to the other.  Maybe it's unrealistic to expect that my breasts would heal on similar time courses, but... I actually expected they'd do similar things all aong the way.  The right one that concerns me now is my PMX breast actually, which had no previous surgeries or rads or anything so I would have thought it would be the easier and more trouble-free side.  The one other difference is that the right breast had its drain out almost a week ago, whereas the left breast is just now starting to meet criteria and should be ready to lose its drain in a couple days.

I have some trouble sleeping, and during those wakeful mid-night periods my mind goes crazy with worry.  I'd love to hear your experiences here or in PM with healing, bumps in the road, breast hardness, differences between one side and the other, AND your tips for managing these sorts of anxieties!

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2013

Mine were pbm.  My right was more swollen then my left.  My right gave me pain in the inferior mammary fold for a few days which hurt when I moved or used my arm.  Ultimately it went away with motrin and though at first I thought they would stay slightly uneven, they have evened up.  So take heart, they do heal in different ways.  Perhaps your PMX side is harder and pinker because the drain was removed earlier and the swelling now how to be reabsorbed naturally.  You might want to ask your PS.

• MartyJ
    edited March 2013

Jamie - company a few days after your surgery?  You are brave, but this time things should go much easier for you.  Approaching done!  Happily, since my EKG and Chest X-ray were done within the last 6 months I got to skip both.  

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited March 2013

Kim, I know I read somewhere on here that it is very unlikely that the flap would fail ( my worse fear with any ache or pain on either side) after a certain length of time. My Dr told me at one point those exact words as well, that eased my biggest fear but I do know that if I overdo it, or carry or lift something the wrong way I get aches or pains in my otherwise pretty numb breast(s).

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2013

Mags, I know I don't know you well but I want you to know I sending lots of positive white energy your way.

I'm starting to internalize everyone's concerns and issues and I too, don't sleep at night worrying.  Wishing this wasn't such an emotional rollercoaster... as it really takes a toll on all of us.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

Wishing you all well. Don't be afraid to get sleep help. I did use ambien for a couple weeks. Surgeries mess with my hormones and sleep cycle terribly.

I am in NOLA. At the Bienville. Airline lost my luggage. May have to go to pre-op in yesterday's clothes. I am not nervous yet because I don't know what is all going to be done. When I leave the center today, I will be in pieces. I am afraid to ask for what I want. This is very unlike me. I really don't want to leave sorry that I didn't ask so I need to pep talk myself.

If anyone at ST Charles needs anything, let me know. I will be there in 3 hours.

• Kim_L
    edited March 2013

Pamela44, thanks for your input on the different time courses.  Rightie did give up her drain sooner.  I'm not sure why I didn't recognize that as a sign that healing will (continue to) happen differently from Leftie!

Catie2013, I think I read that post too, but I remember it saying "3 weeks" and I won't pass that point until a week from today.  Still... I think every day that passes gives confidence.  Thanks for the reminder.

I sent some pics to CRBS and one of the PAs called and soothed me very thoroughly.  I feel a lot better.

• MartyJ
    edited March 2013

Kbodie - the good part of misplaced luggage is that you won't need most of it at St. Charles.  And, part of your pre-op is spent in a gown so no one will know about your day old clothes.  Just keep smiling and all will be well.  You will most likely be calmer when you leave the center today.  Don't be afraid, you have been through this before.  

Kim - in this age of instant gratification, we usually forget that our bodies heal the old fashioned way with plenty of time.

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Kim.. Is it possible you have a seroma?? Especially if the drain was pulled earlier... Just watch it. I had problems at the 2 week mark, but I knew there were issues from the get go... So without a trauma to the breast, I think it unlikely you have a major issue... perhaps a seroma, or perhaps nothing at all.

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2013

How do people afford NOLA?  I want to go there but I don't see where they accept insurance.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2013

The hospital and doctors are in network for my insurance. I got word this afternoon that they had approved my surgery, which is two weeks from today. You might want to call the center and talk to the insurance ladies.

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

lbrewer... They are either in network (rarely) or are associated with a third party company (often) or make a deal with you as totally out of network. You just need to start the inquiry and see what they say. I have the third party, but didn't even know it.

• Kim_L
    edited March 2013

Thanks Betsy... that's powerful reassurance from someone who'd KNOW firsthand I think!  :D

And thank you too MartyJ.  I've ventured far from my usual life experience.  It's unfamiliar territory for me out here!  Tincture of time is just what this situation needs (guess where I got that cute little term?).