Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

Well I survived another pre-op. It is always the most nerve-wracking for me. Dr. was great. Covered everything. Business-like as usual but now I know to expect that. Was confident in ability to make everything good. Will have to chat with him again in the morning because I realized I asked for a reduction but we moved on and didn't totally confirm how much! Afterwards, I was shaky and light-headed and flushed and had a headache coming. And I walked out feeling very very nervous. Not in doubt or anything. Just reality setting in. That it is going to hurt. That it is going to take me along time to feel as good as I do now. That I will have drains. Again. Sigh. That I will be in compression. Again. Sigh. But I really think this will get it right and I will be moving in, here just to talk to others about to walk this path. Going to take my antiseptic shower now and pretend like I am going to sleep.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

KBodie - you are doing great.  Maybe you should write a big note about your questions for the morning and pin it to your hospital gown.  That way even if it escapes your mind, it will be sure to grab someone's attention during pre-op.  Sleep well in the morning.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

KBodie-you are going to do great! Prayers and hugs going out to you. We will be anxious to hear from you.

Mags- I continue to send positive energy your way. Hope things are much better today.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2013

KBODIE... XXOO Thinking of you all day today.  You'll do wonderful.  Please keep us posted as soon as you can and let us know how it went.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

Go KBodie! Please check back in when you can. Paula is on deck! 

Mar 13 - KBodie - Stage 2B, Dr. S., NOLA and St Charles Surgical Hospital.

Mar 15 - Paula_Kay - Stage 2, St. Charles Surgical Hospital, Dr. S., NOLA.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2013

KBodie -- Know your pain, but also know I went thru a Stage 2 and 2b and will have to go thru 2c, and as stressed as I get about those #&!#$&$(# compression garments and drains, I know it is all worth it!!

Maggie -- thinking of you and hoping every day is just a little better!

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

I know I don't post a lot ... but that doesn't mean I am not holding you all in thought and prayer.  I read all your posts and the information and knowledge is truly priceless.  Thank you all for your individual gifts!  Soldier on!

Kim - Hang in there, everyone is different but our fears are all the same.

Tomorrow I leave out for NOLA and SCSH with Dr. S. and Stage 2 on Friday. I have a some anxiety since I will be traveling alone this time.  Hopefully my guy friend will be able to come a few days post surgery to fly home with me. Ultimately I know I am fully capable of doing this solo....

Thank you God for these doctors and for you ladies who help strengthen me.  God bless you all.

Catch you on the other side of the tunnel.

With Love ~ Paula Kay

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

Paula Kay, you too will do wonderful. We are indeed lucky to have these skilled doctors. We are thinking of you and will be sending positive energy your way. Can't to hear from you on the other side.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013

KimL....it is SO hard to be patient, but our bodies are amazing. Truly, truly amazing. I think we've ALL heard Dr. D. say tincture of time, because we all get frustrated by he's absolutely right....just wait it out.

Good luck Kbodie....you will do GREAT! I was all worked up about Stage 2 as well and it turned out to be much more bearable that I'd anticipated.  Pain was tolerable (felt like REALLY sore muscles from a workout for a few days...but that was it).  Lots of ladies end up with a drain or two, but they seem to come out very quickly for the most part.

Good luck to you Paula as well!  I hope the powerwashing trick works well for you!

• Audrella
    edited March 2013

Can't believe I forgot to share this....I'm DRAIN FREE today!  I seem to have a knack for accidentally losing my drains and this time was no different.  I was cleaning the house when I looked down and the darn tube was dangling from my pouch.  I somehow pulled it out and didn't even notice.  Sort of glad it worked out that way because I was dreading hubby pulling it.  Fortunately, it was time for this one to come out as well....yesterday was my second day below 20 ccs.  Doing the drain free happy dance for sure!!!!

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

Audrella  - What compression did you use?

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2013

Thinking about you, KBodie!  Hopefully, this time around won't be too bad and you'll be back at full steam for a gorgeous summer!  

Yay, Audrella!  I love getting dressed that first day without drains.  Ahh!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

Audrella...that's great about the drain story! And you didn't even feel it! Yay!!!!!!! Hugs !!!

• Audrella
    edited March 2013

Paula...I am still in the zippered Veronique garment that was provided at the hospital. I'm half way done, so I think I will just continue to wear this rather than order a Marena garment at this point.

It was nice getting dressed this morning, indeed!

• MartyJ
    edited March 2013

Audrella - great story about your drains.  May their removal be so easy for all of usKiss

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

Audrella- I am assuming you had lipo in the flank area. You said you are halfway done. Are you wearing compression 24/7 for 6 weeks? Every doctor is so different with this.

• Audrella
    edited March 2013

Cherrie, yes I had lipo in the flank area. I was told a minimum of 24/7 for 4 weeks, better if I can go 6 weeks.  I'm going for 6 weeks as I really don't find it terribly uncomfortable.

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

I agree that it is doable. I plan on doing the same thing. When I asked Dr. M how long, she smiled and said forever. I love her sense of humor. Neither the Veronique or the Marena were uncomfortable to me. I have done a lot of research on this and the norm is from 4-8 weeks. I have inner thighs to go in the Fall. I will be back in the Veronique then.

• kkemp2211
    kkemp2211 Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2013

I had my Stage 1 surgery on Feb 5th and am recovering pretty well (after a punctured lung 9 days post op).  My Oncologist asked about 5 times if I really had the surgery because she said my breasts looked so natural (thanks Dr Sullivan!).  Sometimes when I read the posts on here I wonder if I should be worried about stuff so I might call Laura or Jeanine tomorrow and ask a few questions and there is SO MUCH info on here so I apologize if my question has been covered before.

Anyway, my Stage 2 surgery is scheduled for May 10th and I'm wondering what you all did to prepare.  I was a DD before Stage 1, who knows what I am now but somewhere close.  I was thinking I wanted a full C and I know I want a lift but should I be finding pictures of what I like to show the doctors?  Up until this point I've left everything in the doctors hands (treatment plan, surgery, recovery) but I am thinking I need to show them what I want.  Did you take pictures in for your pre-op appts? 

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

I ended up putting it in my doctor's hands and I am soooo pleased with the result. I had come up with a list (thanks Betsy), but Dr M hit all of my wants and concerns. I do have a stage 2b on May 10 and a 2c in the Fall. If you have specific ideas I would put it on your list to address if you need to. You may want to have your fat grafting come from specific areas, symmetry, scar revision, etc. Dr. S will listen and have ideas of his own. You will be very happy.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

kkemp... I did not take in pictures, but I took in a list. And after Dr D pulled out his blue marker and did his thing, I pulled out my list and cross checked. For my first stage II, I asked for him to lipo my knees.. He did. Other than that, he had already covered a lot. For stage IIb, I did the same thing. And again, I asked for a little more on the knees... I also pointed out an area on my outer thigh that was not 100% symmetrical with the other one... And then we discussed at great length and other issues I had and how he would tackle them. I think as you heal you will notice things, maybe one breast is larger than the other, or firmer, or you have a divot, or you abdomen is firm or knotty, or a scar is lumpy... these are all things you could add to a list.

• kkemp2211
    kkemp2211 Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2013

Thanks for the quick feedback bdavis and Cherrie! 

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2013

Hi Everyone..... I am heading down to Nola tomorrow and having pre-op on friday.  Then surgery on Monday the 18th for Stage 1.  I am nervous for the unknown.  I am hoping for no hiccups and smooth healing. Have to start packing on getting late.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2013

I was wondering if anyone had Dr. Trahan for their doctor in NOLA? I've heard of all the rest but not much on him.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2013

Judy, Dr. Trahan was my surgeon......he is just as awesome as the others!!! I have had both stage one and two done by him am I can say He did an amazing job on me.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2013

Thanks, Teddybear. Thats good to know.He is going to be working on me in less than two weeks. Hopefully he can work some magic on me!

• Audrella
    edited March 2013

Good luck marcypt!

Judy_63.  I haven't met Dr. Trahan, but I can't help but think he's top notch as well.  That's just the way it is there.  Everything is top notch!

• MartyJ
    edited March 2013

I saw Dr. T for rounds post op at the hospital (Fairway) and for Post-Op.  He was a real sweetheart.  Gentle and patient, especially with a post-surg drugged woman.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

Marcypt...We will all be thinking of you on Monday...smooth sailing:)

Ok..have to share with you all that I wanted to go off my 10mg lexipro. I have anxiety, panic, and slight depression. Since being diagnosed with breast cancer, of course it got worse. I thought I could go off of it and just switch to an herbal remedy like St. John's wort, or Rhodiola. I went off cold turkey and took Rhodiola. Thought I was doing fine until the last couple of days. I feel so sad and panicky, having trouble sleeping , and my body hurts more than it usually does. I have a nurse that calls me weekly through blue cross insurance for free and she told me to go back on it today. She said I was doing so well on it and its such a low dosage. I just wanted to eliminate medicine. I have to take Femara for 5 years. I hate it!! My joints and muscles hurt from it. Especially my hands and feet. My left arm hurts everyday from the lymph node removal ( which was done twice because they had to go in again after the first 4 were positive :/ I did take it this morning(lexipro) and will stay on it until I'm done with these surgeries. I was a Aqua instructor at 24hr fitness and worked out 5-7 days a week, ate very healthy, no smoking, no family history, no rhyme or reason. Blah..Blah....Blah...lol

To top it off..I have these weird dry patches on my face that I need to see the doc. about. I stopped all skin care product and am using Cetaphil to cleanse and an all natural sunscreen for day. I have been putting Aquaphor on it because it is so dry. It's not red or itchy, just feels like super dry patch. ugh!!!! Nothing can wrong because I have my Stage 1 on April 12 .

I feel like you gals would understand what i'm going through and needed to talk about it. Please let me know your thoughts, my friends:) Thanks!!!!

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2013

Judy,

I also had Dr. Trahan for Stage 1 and Stage 2. He worked wonders on this body.