Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

Last air what did they do at stage 2 to get rid of the Seroma?

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

I'm assuming that I am "last air" Laughing  They used a syringe to extract it.  It is not as bad as it sounds, thankfully!  

KBodie, I'm glad you are getting it taken care of!  I'm sure the GOT season 3 premier will help a lot -- I can't wait!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

kbodie....here's to hoping your body absorbs it tonight....if not may it go well with you tomorrow....you have been through worse!!!  you are a trooper.

@ Cherrie....we did stop to sit down for lunch :) so it broke the shopping day up nicely

Marty J...woot woot cant wait til my "canvas" gets perfected.  Hoping it goes great

Maggie-2

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

kbodie..So sorry to hear of your setback, but it's good it's fixable and will be resolved:) We watched Game of thrones last night...We love that show.

MartyJ..I have the same to do list planned for next week..

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

GOT here too.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Welcome Perry! There is a lot of experience here. Use us.

Marty, you sound great. I can't wait to hear what Dr. M has planned for you. I will be thinking of you this week. You are a list maker like me.

Kbodie you have been through the worst. Let us know how it goes. Are you going to your Primary care doctor? My local PA helped me out and I live Ina town of 3,000. She was an old student of mine. She was a big help after stage 1.

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2013

Russel 1 - you are practically a neighbor!  I have friends down in Rancho, but have to go there when it is not rush hour (don't ya just love CA traffic?)

Springtime - good news about your scheduling.  I was beginning to wonder, I faxed the info on March 4th and haven't heard anything but that they had rec'd it.  I seriously thought that they read the Boards here and thought I wasn't a good candidate, or didn't want to bother with a Stage 2, but they just must be busy!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Is there any public transportation between the Hope Lodge and the French Quarter and the hospital? I know I'll have transportation to my appointments but I'm trying to decide if I really need to worry about a rental car.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

The streetcar runs down St Charles... It is not fast or on a timetable, but its cheap. So the Streetcar can take you to the hospital and Quarter, but you need to get to the intersection of St Charles and Carrollton to catch it... and this is not walkable from the Hope Lodge. You can always take a cab, which would be inexpensive to that corner... There is a Daquiri shop and a bar Cooter Browns at that corner, so you could call a cab to Cooters after the Streetcar to get back to Hope Lodge. In my opinion, that is all too much work.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

We are staying at the Hope Lodge and there are some guests here that have cars and can take you to go get food at the local Walmart or to where ever you need to get your supplies. One man which was so kind took my aunt Sat. To get groceries for us. Most of the guests here are so nice.

• PerryDawnB
    PerryDawnB Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2013

Hi Russell1, I will be at Scsh as well.  Getting anxious.  I've been getting a lot of phone calls from NOLA making this whole thing very real.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

I ended up renting a car and was glad I did. There is a Enterprise not far from HOPE. They came and picked my husband up and dropped him off at the end. Don't rent from the airport. It is much more expensive.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2013

KBodie, very common, no worries. I don't think it hurts at all, and it might refill, you just go back and have it drained again.

Short list! The "M-J" girls!!

Apr 3 - MillerJ - Stage 1, Dr. S., NOLA.

Apr 5 - MartyJ - Stage 2, Dr. M in Charleston

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

Good luck to this weeks NOLA women! Ought to be lovely in new Orleans this time of year. Healing vibes.

Are there restrictions after getting a seroma drained?

• lastar
    edited April 2013

No restrictions! You will just feel a little lighter!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

Hello ladies...

Kbodie... so sorry... :( crap.

Good luck ladies coming up.... Marty... speaking of mani/pedi's... I guess I can do that prior to surgery?  I wondered since usually nail polish is a restriction... but I have a gift certificate so I would love to use it prior to surgery.

I just made my down payment today... totally real now... I needed Rapid reward points on my credit card so I decided to pay ahead of time... I hope I don't regret that.

• Catie2013
    edited April 2013

My seroma(s) were drained weekly for about 6-7 weeks. I was referred to a local PS who did it for me, but after a quick trip back to see my SGAP PS and assurance that it would be okay NOT to continue to get them drained that stage 2 would take care of it, I stopped going. The local PS NEVER failed to tell me: "You will always be deformed back here" (SGAP) donor site. And then tell me why he didn't do that operation. That got very old after the 3rd or 4th time! EVERYONE is different and I seem to do things the hard way so don't think my experience is going to be yours - just know in your heart that we will not be deformed and thank God for our micro surgeons!!!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Awk, Dr. M has a family emergency and had to cancel for Friday.  Hoping for next week.  Will see her for pre-op today, though.

Mother - mani/pedi are fine, but use something light and sheer on fingers (OPI Bubblebath is great).  That worked with the pulse oximeter for me last time, but if there is a problem they will only remove polish from one nail.  Also, I believe it was recommended that I shave 2 days before, not day before to give any teensy nicks or cuts time to heal.

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

MartyJ..:( on the cancel....I know how that feels!

Perrydawn...I will be at Southern Surgical. Does anyone have Blueshield ppo? I'm like the only one having to go somewhere else:(

Catie2013...How awful for your ps to say something like that! I hope you go back when your done and moon him!!! lol

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited April 2013

Motherandchild....I got a mani/pedi the day before both surgeries.  Bright pink on the toes and a french manicure on the nails.  Nobody ever said a thing about it....and it actually never even crossed my mind.  Go for it!  I used our Southwest Visa to pay for everything as well....just made my final payment yesterday of the lingering charges.

Marty....that's a bummer that you got postponed. Hopefully next week!

Speaking of lingering charges....I got a fairly sizeable bill from Dr. Stolier that I wasn't expecting. The rest of the lingering charges from Stage 1 are all as expected, small ones from anesthesia, a co-pay for an office visit with Dr. Stolier, etc.  But this bill was a co-pay for the mastectomy surgeries.  It's not an insurmountable amount, but certainly not a small lingering bill as I was originally told to expect.  Dr. Stolier is my hero, so I am glad to pay it, but I do wish I would have been told up front that he has a separate billing all together and that his co-pays aren't included in the ones to the Center and SCSH.

In other news...my insurance has decided to decline (after appeal, so the decision is final) both Dr. D and Dr. T's bills for stage 1.  Apparently it has something to do with there being co-surgeons?  Robin told me that there was a patient in 2009 that had the same insurance issue (not the same company) and they were eventually able to get it paid by changing how it was billed.  What I don't understand is all of this was pre-authorized.  I'd hate for the docs to not get paid, but no way, no how can I foot even a fraction of that bill!  Hopefully it all works out.

• Catie2013
    edited April 2013

Russell - yes, LOL - I have thought of at least going in to the local PS and showing him my butt - but never put it in the words "mooning" him - but that is exactly what it would be showing him by rear or even my front as both of my recon surgeries are from my rear!!! (SGAP and PAP). He offered to 'fix' the failed flap by doing an implant with a Lat Flap - good grief! He didn't 'hear' my telling him I went out of state because I wanted not to have implants!!!!!! But I like your words better - mooning him! I knew I was going to be fixed at stage 2 but felt discouraged every time I had the aspirations.

Audrella - oh, no! Good grief I sure hope they fix the coding on the insurance so you don't have to pay for stage 1. Hoping some good stuff comes your way soon!

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

What surprised me was I had to pay 500 to the hospital at my pre op appointment. Nobody told me about that and the hospital and doctors are in network for my insurance. Of course that could be my deductible, but my deductible is going to be paid when I pay for my hospital pre op work at my local hospital.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

I did have to pay my deductible at the hospital when I arrived this time. My stage 1 was in October and I had already met the deductible so didn't have to pay then. Checks coming in for the surgeons. Gotta get them signed and sent off.

A rescheduled surgery, oh the anticipation. Sorry about the extra wait. hope everything is ok with the doc.

Has anyone had seromas after their last surgery? I am not planning on more. In fact, circumstances keep showing me I probably shouldnt have even done this 2B. Why would the area be permanently deformed? What a jerk.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

Vickie was very specific of Dr. Stoliers "non negotiable" rate with me and how it's charged seperately.... I'm kind of confused because I'm not sure why his rate wouldn't be negotiable at all.... esp. if they have no idea how much my insurance would ulitmately pay to him.  Regardless, I paid the bill today.

I'm so worried for Kbodie.... don't even think about the word "deformity".... please just dont.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

Martyj... sorry. Hard to reschedule so close to your date.

I missed Dr M's phone call sunday cuz I had just sat to pee...that explains why I have not heard back from her. I cannot wait to lose this drain. It is still putting out too much but man do I hate it...youch. it is 90% of my discomfort. Waaaawaaaa

Maggie

• lastar
    edited April 2013

KBodie, the seromas are not an issue after Stage 2.  That shark bite is closed up so there is nowhere for the fluid to form. 

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2013

Marty -

Good luck. Recliner sounds like a job for Two Men and a Truck.

Kbodie - this will pass. I spent 4 weeks with an Always thin-pad tapes to the side of my hip, waiting for a hematoma to stop draining! You can always second- guess yourself but it is also possible that if the drain was clogged and fluid was backing up with the drai. Still in (a potential conduit for germs) you might have had an infection if you had left it in.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Maggie - you will probably hear from her soon.  I know she will be driving and you know how she likes to talk when she drives.

Dr. M looks fantastic.  Down 50#.  In 2a, she will be lifting the ab incision (which will require drains).  She will lift the leftie into position and use fat grafting to fill and fluff.  When I had my initial mastectomies in 1985 they made incisions from about an inch from the center of the chest straight, across the breast, under the arm ending just at the back.  At that point, they left what they called dog ears that the BS thought the PS would use in reconstruction.  The PS didn't use them, so now, at long last, Dr. M is going to use that fat first for the grafting so she can get rid of those silly things.  Yippeee!  The next fat will come from the flanks.  She indicated we will probably be going for 2b and 2c.  Ah, perfection!

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

About insurance... I paid Dr D $500 (my deductible) and then when I went to the hospital they were also asking for the deductible.. I explained I had just paid that to Dr D, so I didn't pay anything... So I paid the $500, but $150 of that with Aetna was applied to anesthesia and $60 of it I had already paid to local doctors... so I am working it out... I just got a bill for the Dr D's pre-op and had to call and explain I had already given them $500, so I don't need to pay that bill.... I do keep getting EOBs where they deny this and deny that. But having gone thru this a few times before, I see that they are persistent and get paid in the end.

Seromas... I had one drained once and it never refilled, so you just never know. But mine was small.

I do agree that they should be clearer about the billing. There is:

Dr (PS) bill

Anesthesia

Hospital bill

Dr (Stolier) bill

Other anesthesia bills

So far, I have only paid Dr D my deductible and some anesthesia (with this new bill pending).

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Audrella...IT will be paid!! I just know it will. WTF is wrong with these people? ugh!!!!!!