Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

So I just made an appt for stage 2....and I said I was gonna wait haha....June 24 inNOLA. So exciting! I am not sure if I told you all...but I got to read the surgical notes. My hubby and the doc kept this from me...they did not want to worry me while in hospital. When Dr M opened my chest the vessels that were left in there were extremely compromised from the radiation. She came down to talk with my husband and asked him if I would want her to proceed knowing that there was at least a 50 percent chance the flap would fail. He knows me too well and said yes go for it! It may have been the last chance for me to have a left breast. I am so grateful for being born a fighter and for finding Dr M and the center. I would have had to stay flat the rest of my life..

3cheers for the docs of NOLA!

Maggie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Maggie, your husband is a hero.  He knows you so well!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2013

Maggie, so happy that you are such an odds-beater!  

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

Maggie, this just made me gasp and brought tears to my eyes! He never even told you when all that was happening at the hospital? Wow, what a strong and loving man. That is amazing. Whew. So glad you all put up the fight.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

The numbers freaked me out too. AND our ins. company paid the Center and Docs, and for years after, kept sending us forms to fill out, about how much we paid. My husband called the Center, and was told, your insurance already paid us. So he just kept throwing out the forms!! Now, we have a new provider, so we are done with the harassment. ugh.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited March 2013

Maggie, your story warms my heart. I wish I could go back in June just to cheer you on!!!!!! I'm leaving on a cruise that day so I will raise a toast to you!!!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

Wow Mags!!! Check you out!! Already making the appointment:) You are a true inspiration!!! I feel like I should have this talk with Dr. Sullivan ahead of time because I have had rads to the the left chest wall. Is this something they can't see when they do the ct scan? I am so glad your hubby made the right call and I would want my hubby to be prepared for this question:)

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

Judy...let us know how you are doing when you can:) Thinking of you today!

• MartyJ
    edited March 2013

Russell - I think that a great many of their patients have had rads and that Maggie's issues were simply an unusual case.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

Maggie- this brought tears to my eyes! You have one hellava husband and doctor. You are certainly in great hands. How is your healing and the flap?

Judy- cant wait to hear how you are doing! We're all thinking of you.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2013

WOW Mags,  what a wonderful and supportive hubby.  Thats what an excellent surgeon, lots of prayers, and a fighting attitude will get you.  So happy for you. Jamie

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2013

Maggie - thanks for sharing - we are so lucky to be working with the best!  Such an uplifting story.  We can use all of those we can get.  Cancer and reconstruction isn't for wimps!

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

I just looked at the surgery schedule. I am sending happy thoughts~because I'm getting so anxious~ being that this is my third time being scheduled and I haven't had surgery yet!! lol

Nothing can stop me this time! For some reason I feel like I don't have enough clothes for afterwards. I bought Young Men's snap up short-sleeve shirts in a large size. I plan on passing them on to my oldest son (nephew ) that can wear them after me. I looked at the things to pack above, but still feel like I'm missing something.

This is a funny question but...Did anyone wear their falsies on the plane there? I don't want them searching me and finding them. It would be so embarrassing! Also hate not having anything there because I'm flatter than a board...I'm a sunken ship!!! HaHa:)

Any ideas???

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

Melanie... I would not take them cause you won't need them when you are done... and yet there they will be... in your luggage. I woud buy a padded bra that will put a little bump on your chest, without the falsies.

• mags20487
    edited March 2013

You could do a padded bra with a pair of socks in each side...:)  whatever works.  I could not stand wearing nothing up there.  After the diep and then the failure on the left I was lopsided which I thought was even worse.  Dr M wanted me to be really careful with that side so nothing up there for 6 weeks.  It amazes me how time really flies.  I cannot believe that I am already 3 weeks out and cannot wait to lose this drain....it is so bothersome

Maggie-2

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2013

Well I've made it to the other side. Everything is looking good. Got up today and sit in chair and ate my lunch and took a walk across the room. Last night they were worried about my low blood pressure. But it came back up today. All my vitals looked good just my blood pressure was low. Thanks everyone for the good wishes

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Wow such a busy week, mags you have inspired sooooo many, love your strength!!

Judy, glad you are on the other side and doing so well.

Such great news to go into our Easter/Passover week :)))

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

And to all the other ladies who are healing on the other side. A Big Whoo Hoo 😘

• mags20487
    edited March 2013

yeah Judy....tomorrow you can tackle the hallway walk!!!  moving is tough but so theraputic and great for the healing process....help to get the anestesia out too. happy healing

Maggie-2

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

Good to hear from you Judy! Happy Healing!!!

I should of remembered about the socks. I did that when I was lopsided too. Then I can just wear them on the way home! lol

Thanks Betsy and Mags!!!

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

I know this has been discussed before but I searched the word Laxative and couldn't find the posts. I tend to get constipated after surgery. How many days before should I take something and what should I take? thanks!!!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

For constipation, they have you on colace but I can't recommend enough mixing a packet of miralax into a cup of heated prune juice. I was 5 days out and still hadn't gone and was miserable. This worked within 15 minutes and was nothing violent or diarrhea or anything. Just gets you to go. I did that once a day for a few days in the hotel in NOLA. I asked for it in the hospital at stage 2 but they didn't have prune juice. Got some later at the hotel.

Way to go Judy. One day at a time.

I am ready to lose the drain too! Laura thought it would be gone by Sunday and the CCs have gone up and stayed steady. Still there. Boo.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2013

Prunes were the key!

Hang in there, ladies, on those drains!  You'll be out of them and wearing cute summer clothes before you know it!

• MartyJ
    edited March 2013

Melanie - get some miralax and start it a week before (you can mix it into lemonade or).  Do the prune thing after surgery.  Warm prune juice is frequently used with the elderly.  Works really quickly so you may not want it before.  Costco brand is Laxaclear.  The miralax and colace do different things, but both help a lot.  The miralax acts on the muscles of the colon.  The colace is a stool softener.  400 mg of Magnesium Citrate (I use pills) can helps in a variety of ways, too.  The miralax takes a couple of days to work. A couple of prunes will help, too.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

For me, Mirilax starting three days before and until all the meds are gone. I get so super constipated. Thank GOD for Mirilax.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2013

Agree with all the ladies above. I took colace before and after surgery and used miralax a few days after with some Gatorade. It worked wonders.

So glad to hear you are doing well Judy!! Welcome to the other side. Take it easy and rest.

• Russell1
    edited March 2013

ok thanks everyone. I'll start the miralax a couple days before and do the prune juice after:)

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

I had a real problem with this issue and wish I had done Miralax before surgery. I will remember next time.

My breast scars are ready for treatment. Did anyone use anything besides Kela-cote and have success.? I would love direction on this.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013

Glad to hear a great update from you Maggie.

Also glad to hear you are doing well too Judy....baby steps!

I've been MIA...life has been hell.  Good news is hubby got his job back!  He's going to go back to the contracting work he was doing as it's just not going to work with him being an employee.  It did open his eyes WIDE open, though, and he's working towards getting away on his own terms, hopefully by this time next year. 

Phew! I think I've gained back all of the weight Dr. D took off with lipo from stress eating!  I was eating icecream at 10:00 last night if that gives you any idea! lol Maybe there's a stage 2b in my future after all!  Thank you for all of the thoughts and well wishes many of you sent through PMs.  It means a lot.

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

Russell - as far as clothes; I found for both Stage 1 and 2 yoga pants worked best for me.  The very slight compression was not bothersome and they are sooo easy. A zippered jogging jacket or wind breaker might have little pockets on the inside, near the zippers for drains.  Just advise TSA that you have medical drains in your jacket and they won't make you take it off, but you will get extra security attention.

All - I am now 13 days post 2(a) and showing some asymmetry now.  One boob is fuller on the outside and the other is fuller on the top. Crap. I REALLY do not want a 2(b) - so praying the girls will even out.  Celeste advised swelling and size should "overall" finalized at about 3 weeks post - so 1 more to go.  Is that what you ladies have experienced?

Glue is 95% gone and lipo stiches have come out on their own with exception of under/beside each arm. Started the silicon sheets (scar away) last night. Very comfortable on the incisions/scars and actually ease the rubbing of the soft bra on the mamm fold scar better than the ABD pads. Not bulky either. When the silicon sheets are pulled off they release from the stitches without pulling - amazing. Anyone else used these.  You rinse them and reuse for 2 weeks - cost $20.  Will start kilocote after my remaining stitches come out on Monday.

Thoughts?