Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Klanders... Have the grilled cheese... YUMMY and the tomato soup.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

Anyone know if Klanders post-op issues are fairly typical?  Is there a way to avoid the nausea by asking for certain meds from anesthesia?  I feel so badly for her... She sounds like she's having a tough time. :(

I'm starting to pack... Did anyone wear earrings through their stay? What was your favorite kind of outfit to wear home on the plane? I have no dresses... just curious.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Mother... I was nauseous after this last surgery, but they do give anti nausea meds and a patch... Also, antibiotics and loritab etc (pain meds) can make you feel sick... So just switching meds can help.

I believe that for surgery all jewelry comes off, especially bracelets and necklaces... I can't remember if I wore earrings. For the plane I wore my Target Gilligan and O'Malley pants, a loose top and flowy sweater. Whatever is comfortable.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

I took zofran pretty regularly after stage 1 and a few times with the other two. It helps tamp down the waves of nausea. For all previous surgeries, I spent hours in recovery vomiting. So I told them that at Nola and they fixed me up great. I met with the anesthesiologist before stage 1. They put a patch behind my ear and he gave me a cocktail while under andni took zofran after.

I have to admit I didn't even know about a separate breast surgeon before my stage 1. In thought drs. Sullivan and Trahan did everything. But yet I know a third one was there. So I met dr. Legarde in pre op and double checked about being BRCA positive and to core out nipples, etc. But that i wanted to keep them. She was great. But I have to admit I knew nothing about her before I went in.

I wore knit pants with long tops over tanks. But it was october. So maybe knit capris? With hoodies or cardigans.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

I would suggest no jewelry. I forgot a necklace on that was very meaningful to me at stage 2 and when I had to put it in the plastic bag with all my clothes I was worrying about it. just have one less thing to worry about.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

I have heard of many cases of nausea after surgery. I get sick on a merry go round, swings, IMAX theaters, airplanes and boats. So I always put my patch on the night before surgery right after my shower. It helps me a lot. I used the Zofran when I felt nausea coming on too. Just the 'anxiousness' of upcoming surgery makes my mouth dry enough to have to keep tissues near for coughing into which leads to dry heaves. But after surgery it stops - so no actual vomiting while I have the patch on.

Again, everyone is different.

Klanders so many are so pulling for you - hope you get relief soon!

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Thanks ladies... Catie, what kind of patch? Can I pick that up anywhere or is it a script?  I def. have motion sickness issues and I have a terrible gag reflex... it takes nothing and I am dry heaving too... BLAH.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

My nausea was caused from my antibiotic Bactrim, changed it and no problems after that. But I didn't start getting sick till the end of my hospital stay. I had the patch behind ear and probably other meds before going into surgery.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Mother... they give you the patch in pre-op (morning of surgery).

• Catie2013
    edited April 2013

Transderm Scop it's for motion sickness and my gag reflux is awful. Ask the Dr if they don't automatically Rx you one prior to surgery. I usually carry 3-4 around with me on a trip because I've lost one or two tangled in my hair or they didn't stick once. My Dr Rx it for me to bring with and the trick is to apply it the night before surgery. And only one should get you through 3 days (works for me 3 days). By that time I've had some food - peanut butter and crackers or graham crackers and some ginger ale or coke at the very least if not full meals.

I also bring Ricola lemon lozenges (the sugar ones not the sugar free) to help the dang cotton mouth from after surgery. They don't seem to be as sweet as lemon drops but seem to bring back the saliva.

Hope that helps. It seems to me while nurses can't supply a meal 24/7 they always seem to have peanut butter and something even toast to put it on. This last time (2 weeks ago) I brought some of those packaged peanut butter crackers just in case.

I usually have my DH bring in bottled water and some La Croix - my beverage of choice - also helps if I feel nausea.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Mother... Just so you know the SCSH has refrigerators with water and juice available 24/7 along with an icee machine. Plus there is food 24/7 as well... crackers, fruit, muffins etc.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Mother, I didn't bring any jewelry because you can't have it in the hospital anyway so don't bother wearing it.

As far as meds, food, nausea etc... The drs and nurses at SCSH have thought of everything, you will want for nothing... Before you even think about it, they have it covered!!

I told them I had nausea after my last surgery and they put the patch behind my ear on the morning of surgery and I had NO problems.

Travel safe and enjoy Nola :))

• Catie2013
    edited April 2013

BDavis wow an icee machine!!! What flavor? I love frozen coke that would sure help, small sips -

Marcie so nice they do the patch in time for surgery - but as a very frequent patch user I have to have it in my system overnight for best effects - could be just me but I think even the directions say something like 4 hours or so before travel and in our case travel to lala land!

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

When I was there a month ago, they had coke and piña colada icee flavors.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

Oh man...I was at Fairway and didn't get to have icees...Hehe! I only wore my wedding ring and brought one pair of earrings..Keep it light!! Comfortable clothes only. On the way home I wore a sweat outfit from Target. It was perfect!!! xo

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Yup.. coke and Pina Colada.... My room that I was in for both stage I surgeries (208) was right by the icee machine and snack food... And it was a really big room. Good thing. I spent 5 nights there the first time and 14 nights the second time (only a month later). So I loved beong right there by unlimited juice, water, and Pina Coladas!!!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2013

Hi everyone-

I have one of these in nude color, size XL, worn once (or maybe not at all). I ditched this garment and put on the Marena first chance I got.  If you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you (no charge--if no one takes it I'll throw it out).

http://showcase.designveronique.com/designveronique/index.php/shop/postsurgical/mid-body/zippered-body-girdle.html

I also have a Coobie bra in white, the kind with spaghetti straps, one size fits all, free to whoever wants it (never worn).

-Brenda

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

I had no nausea after my Stage 1 at Fairway. Dr. Lamb did w great job with both surgeries (Friday and Sunday). He did give me the patch Friday morning. I usually have a problem with neausea following surgery. After Stage 2 in Charleston, I spent the evening throwing up (even with the patch). They gave me phenergan and found that it reacts badly with my system - Dr. Massey told me to add it to my allergy list. I am going to ask her staff to get the anesthesia record from Fairway before Stabe 2b so that we can duplicate the regimen.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

A scab is beginning to form around the drain tube, what can put on it and can I use a qtip?

• MartyJ
    edited April 2013

Marcie - Dr M had me use neosporin or bactrim. Liberally around the drain tube before covering with gauze. A q tip works to apply. If you cut a slit in the gauze and slip it around the tube it helps to pad the area. She had me swab the incisions with beta dine.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

I am overwhelmed about my next surgery. This is unusual for me. Sooooooo I met with another Dr. M girl from Michigan. ( Charleston gal) Her hug helped a lot. Today I am walking a Koman 5k with my two breast friends and their hubbies. I did this 10 years ago.

I hope to come back to my positive self.

Following everyone, but I am slacking on responding.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Brenda and others, don't you have to do the surgery first to see what size you are for the marena or other fitted clothes? I wear an XL on top and large on bottom. I'm thinking when they do the surgery I will have an even thinner waist and My bra will go from a DDD to a C. So I have no idea what size I will be.

Also I lost 40 lbs in the last year due to some mysterious gastrointestinal issue that started 1 year ago that no doctor can explain. I've lost 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks and darn it I've been eating well! I'm afraid I won't have enough to make even a C cup at the rate I'm going.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Nausea is better now that I'm not taking as many meds. It has been tough but I've had great care. I'm guessing I'll be discharged today. My IV is out and I've had my shower. Questions:

1. Is it normal for my breasts to feel so swollen?

2. Have any of you experienced a vibration feeling in breasts? It's a very odd feeling.

3. I was not given a compression garment. Should I ask for one?

4. I ended up with DIEP and hip - Dr S said that my skin is very youthful and non-elastic - will I ever stand up straight again? How long will it take?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the future and trying not to dwell on the present.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Klanders. I am glad you are feeling less nauseated and I'm sure a shower feels great. Hoping you can go "home" and are comfortable at your hotel.

No advice but just thinking of you.

Marsha

• MartyJ
    edited April 2013

Kristin - Good Morning!!  You sound as if you are doing well.  In response to your questions:

1 - yes it is very normal for your breasts to be swollen.  they just had a lot of trauma, now they are healing.  Give them time.

2 - Can't help with the vibration.

3 - You can ask about compression, but Dr. S might have had a reason for not giving it to you in OR.  We are all different and not all of us end up in compression.

4 - Yes, you will stand straight when your body is ready and has healed enough.  For some it happens quicker than others.   It took me 3 - 4 weeks.  Again, time is your friend.  Don't try to rush anything.  There is no getting an "A".  Relax and let your body heal.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Marsha... Wait for your surgery to be over. They will give you compression that you can use for a couple of weeks until drains are out. THEN measure yourself and CALL Marena. Their online measurement guide is wacky.

Klanders:

1. Is it normal for my breasts to feel so swollen? Yes... they will be swollen for at least 3-4 months, and somewhat swollen for many more after that.
    2. Have any of you experienced a vibration feeling in breasts? It's a very odd feeling. No... sorry
    3. I was not given a compression garment. Should I ask for one? About 90% of patients are given compression, but not all. Perhaps it has to do with your body type and surgery. I would definitely ask though.
    4. I ended up with DIEP and hip - Dr S said that my skin is very youthful and non-elastic - will I ever stand up straight again? How long will it take? I have great skin too and it heals well. You will definitely be standing up straight, but it may feel like you can't for about a month or two. The day I could arch my back over a medicine ball and not feel a tightness was many many months after surgery.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2013

Klanders,

It may be that you didnt have compression because you are thin like me.

The vibration may be a nerve sensation. Had similar feelings.

I had surgery swelling in my breasts as well as radiation edema in my right. My surgery swelling in breasts goes away in 2-4 weeks, but rads edema on going.

Your physical therapist can give you best advice on get upright again and optimal recovery. Your surgeon would need to send order to inform them of your very specialized surgery post op needs. Was your cording completely resolved?

I chose to have just bilateral SGAP (upper buttocks) to create my new breasts. By choosing this option I will only be a B cup, but okay with me.

So while I didn't have any issues with standing upright and tight pulling in stomach, sitting sure was a pain in the butt. :)

You're a question list maker like me so I'm sure you will take to post op to get all answers from surgeon. And you can always email him with more questions later.

Still it's great to get feedback of patient experiences and support from bc.org!

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

You guys rock. :-) they are very good here at answering questions and the patient care is phenomenal. It's just comforting to hear first hand experiences to know that I will be okay. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Marsha, you'll do great. Sorry about the weight loss but if they need more fat they will probably just wrap the DIEP around into hips. I thought I was pretty thin but they got plenty of fat out. But you need to figure out what's causing the weight loss.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

Klanders...you sound better !!! I'm sure once those meds flush out of your system you will feel even better. Try taking a probiotic. That has helped me so much with stomach issues. I have had vibration sort of feelings in my hip incisions and I know that is nerves healing. Stay positive and strong, this big part is over my friend!!

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Yay Klanders...

You sound so much better!!! Did you end up staying in the hospital longer than usual?  If so, does that mean you overall stay has lengthened?  How's your pain?  How are you getting around?

Most importantly... How many Icee's did you have? Laughing

Glad you're on the mend... I'm up next.  I just started packing and can't get past how many pair of yoga pants to pack. lol.