Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

I too get the "Is this the last surgery?" I have been careful to say that I'd like it to be, but I reserve the right to say differently. I purposely had my stage IIb in January so that I could have IIc in the same year... Of course before stage IIb I had no idea if it would be all I need or not.When I told my mom and husband I was going back for more, they both seemed surprised... and my 81 year old mom wanted to know why. I know I got impatient, but said I wasn't going to show her, but to trust me that I have the need. Today I met with my internist and I told him I was going back for more, and he sighed.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

I hate even telling anyone that I need more surgery -- everyone seems so exhausted when they hear it.  

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

Ok guys... I'm worried about Klanders... anyone hear anything?

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Oh... Klanders was only yesterday... I posted right away, but shouldn't have cause I was so medicated. She is probably just resting.

• lastar
    edited April 2013

Feeling any better, motherandchild5?

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

LAstar -- exhausted. Yes that is what I'm getting too from some people. They got over my cancer 6 years ago and just seem weary of my latest news. Can't imagine what they will think after my 2nd or 3rd surgery.

• lastar
    edited April 2013

Bless the hearts of all our friends.  I hope they can all hang in there! Yell

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Marsha... You have to do what is right for YOU... As I said to my internist todayis taht I have come a long way and want it right.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

The dermatologist is for the higher risk of skin cancer with BRCA. it was what the geneticist recommended. I have had some spots removed over the years. I am fair in the winter, tan in the summer. Have some sun damage though.

The hooha lift, I think, is when they lift up the skin sagging over the pubic area at the same time they pull down the abs above. This did lead to some laser hair removal for me! Shocking how much skin was pulled way way up! Once the hair line was lowered, however, it looks really nice!

Plication, yes, is when they sew the ab muscles together. If they are really lax from pregnancies, etc. I had this done at all three surgeries so I have no frame of reference for how it might feel without it. I just knew I wanted the flattest tummy I could get. So I asked and he said, yes, you would be a good candidate for that. It does lengthen recovery, however, and lengthen the amount of time you are restricted. I even pulled an ab muscle Monday at yoga, and in was two days shy of 6 weeks. That could happen to anyone I suppose but I know my muscles were worked on this last time.

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Thank you LA... I'm doing ok... seem to be getting a little more sick than I would like... I've been pushing the Vit C... but kind of fatigued today. My anxiety is manageable... no more hang overs... he he.......

Got an amazing gift today when I went out for chinese with some friends... I immediately knew there was a message for me in a fortune cookie as they were placed on the table... I knew exactly which fortune cookie to pick, it was kind of weird, totally intuitive... "FATE LOVES THE FEARLESS".... It was like a gift from heaven above or maybe my Dad... I felt such peace at that moment... like... "a-ha"... "it's all good... it's all right"....

So in that light I'm well.  Everything is a bit of a blur... still haven't packed or even thought about what I'm bringing... my typical avoidance.  Pretty soon it's gonna catch up with me.  Noticed you gals talking about the Dial skin wash and I totally forgot about it... I wonder how many other things I've dropped the ball on? 

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

And BRCA ladies... don't forget a visit to the Gastroenterologist... We are supposed to start colonoscopies by age 40.  I'm a year behind already.... I'm shooting for the Fall.

• KBodie
    edited April 2013

Love that fortune!!! Just what you needed.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Alive. Lots of pain. Can't keep food down. Blood pressure was in 70's so they gave me 3 bags of blood and now it is in 90's. dr s did diep and hip. Haven't seen it yet.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Rest Klanders! Take that anti nausea medication. This is very common. Thanks for letting is hear from you. Hope today is much much better for you.

Yes, my hooha is very puffy. I would be embarrassed in a bathing suit. She said it was an easy fix during scar revision. We will see.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Yay klanders

• KBodie
    edited April 2013

Welcome back klanders!

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Just heard from Liz... they just changed my breast surgeon from Dr. Stolier to Dr. George Furhman.  I'm freaking.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Mother - don't freak.  They won't give you a bs who doesn't meet their extremely high standards.  You will be in good hands.

Kristen - so glad that you are back.  A few units of blood are always good.  Hit that pain pump.

• KBodie
    edited April 2013

Wow, freakishly similar to Joel Fuhrman, eh? I don't know why they do that to already high strung anxious people 4 days before surgery. Things come up I guess. But I do agree they would not use anyone who would compromise their canvas in any way, allowing for the amazing results we have come to expect and they have come to expect of themselves. I did look him up. He wrote a very thorough book on multidisciplinary breast management. I liked that because it shows he is knowledgeable in the field and will know to balance the thorough mastectomy to remove as much breast tissue as possible with the need for quality reconstruction after. The academic in me loves that. Like when I see the Nola docs published something, I am very happy because the best talent has the skills and keeps up on the latest techniques and research.

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Marty... I read your words but in my head I thought your wrote... "Nola won't give you a bull shi* breast surgeon.... ".... ha... that made me laugh.

Keri....that's the first thing I thought of and maybe wondered if it was a good sign... lol.... Joel and George Fuhrman... the men who saved my life.  I noticed he is from Ochsner which I had no idea about until recently when my girlfriend told me they were the best... so I guess it's a good sign.  I'm all for him being published and knowledgeable.... as long as his skills are fresh... that's what worries me... I'm so hoping my wish for nipple sparing didn't just fly the coop.  Thanks for the info tho'.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2013

Colonoscopies by age 40 for BRCA? I've never heard that recommendation. Where did you hear it?

• KBodie
    edited April 2013

Insist on the nipple sparing. Tell them it is why you came there. They won't want to let you down.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2013

It's great to hear from you Klanders!!! I had to receive blood with both of my surgeries. It makes a big difference on how you feel that's for sure. Take it easy and rest. Welcome to the other side.

Thank you Betsy for your opinion. I think I'm gonna look for an MO and see if they will take me on.
    I went to the doctor (GYN) and he did a pap and tested for HPV and said as long as everything came back on that I wouldn't need another ever. I guess I am ok with that. But, his attitude kinda ticked me off. I met with him last year to get my hormone when my other doctor (Reg. GYN) found out I was BRCA+ wouldn't write the script anymore eventhough I was having a double mastectomy in 2 months. He didn't care and wouldn't help me, so I left him. ANyway, he comes in the room and looks at the chart and says well.....how did your surgery go? I told him it went well and it was definitely the right decision. Before I can say anything else, he balks back at me and says "it's not the only decision". I said, I know that but my pathology confirmed it for me and then he asked what the pathology report said and I told him and he just said Oh WOW...Not another word. Apparently most if not all his BRCA+ patients don't have surgery and he really doesn't support it is the strong feeling I got from him..UGH

He did check my breasts and asked again where I went. All he said was they did a good job as he was feeling my chest and under my arms. But, I just got the feeling he didn't really know what he was feeling for. Does that make sense? Like he might not be able to tell what all the different "lumps and bumps" are from the flap etc. I don't know, maybe it was just me being critical.

Yep, BRCA+ women are at high risk for melanoma too. Gotta love the genes...lol
    I need to make an appt. with a dermatologist soon though!! I have some odd spots that need to be looked at.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited April 2013

Betsy -- Know the "ROLLING EYES" look when I mention that I have, hopefully, only one more to go. But, my inner conviction that it is the right thing to do (and Dr. D. telling me after the last one that I had to give him one more "crack" at me! LOL!) means there is at least one more in the future. Not looking forward to the after and recovery, but my inner drive to be whole is so strong ... didn't start this journey to welsh out this close ... 

Klanders -- hang in there!! It gets better by leaps and bounds ...

Wow, I spend two days away and have quite a bit of catching up to do! Love hearing from you all ... my sense of community is so strong. My thanks to one and all ... 

• lastar
    edited April 2013

Heal well, klanders! Each day will get a little better.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Klanders so happy to hear you are on the other side, I woke up with a BIG smile today knowing that it is all behind me. I know I still have stage 2 but it is nothing compared to the rear view :))

Mothers, you are soo close to getting to the other side! They changed my preop appt 2 days before my surgery to where I saw Amy instead of dr d, I was sooooo sad, but it all worked out without any problems ( he was going to take my radiation scars off and forgot, but said he could do it in stage 2, so all is good) I consulted with dr stoiler and loved him (but ended up not doing a prophylactic on the other breast so didn't need him in the end)

Maybe the new BS will be good with saving your nipples :)) you have made a great choice so keep positive and know you are in great hands :))

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2013

Hang in there Klanders. It'll get better. 

Catie, yeah, sounds like that was plication. It's a bear. I just don't recommend unless you really don't mind a long bloated recovery with tight belly for years, in order to get very flat tummy. I do admit I like the way it looks, but my tummy was pretty flat anyway. another friend and I agree. Like the way it looks, don't like the way it feels. Just sayin! everybody makes their own decisions...

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

Spring, I just know that I woke up from surgery and thought 'what the heck did I do that for' kind of thing. That was the 'tummy tuck' but called abdominoplasty back in 1991. It took forever to not look bloated - so kind of defeated the purpose - but like I said, my babies were big (12#14 oz, 24 inches for first, then 2nd was 11#6 oz, 3rd was 10#14 oz and last was a tiny 8#6 oz and cord around her neck, so C section) My gyn said he could put his hand on my stomach and go directly to the back, no muscle tone at all. They banded the muscles together and it hurt like heck!

Now, I'd tell ANYONE who is thinking of those 'mommy makeovers' to NOT do it!!! I kick myself that I had taken away one of the most used parts that could have been used for my breast cancers - but very happy with my SGAP and PAP's - but still. Kind of felt like I used up a good source for just getting some muscle tone - and the ability to do sit ups!!! LOL

Thanks again Spring, the Dr. in Atlanta didn't use the word plication but sure sounded like what you were describing.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

oh Klanders feel better soon....Can't wait to hear what you think!!! Have you seen the girls yet? My blood pressure was in the low 80's so I didn't have any blood. You will only get better from here:)

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

I know it has been said before but how long after stage 1 do we need to wear the compression garments?

Also I was thinking of hitting Victoria secret to buy myself a treat but when can I take the one nola is having us wear after surgery and wear the new fancy one that I will be shopping for this weekend ☺