Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Marcie... You need to wear the surgical bra for 2 weeks, and then after that, you can't wear one that has underwire for a while... and little compression. I might suggest waiting until after surgery (stage II). After my stage I was was so big and swollen that I was buying a 40DD, but I am a 36C.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited April 2013

Hi ladies.  I did some major yard work last weekend and it was no minor mindset to remember the difference that DIEP has had on my body. It really does take time to bounce back physically.  I am 10 months out from stage 1. I shoveled mulch, weeded, lots of up and down, plenty of stooping over and ended up with very uncomfortable lower back pain. It took a few days to recover and I was reminded that activites are still limited.  Please do not over do at any stage of recovery.  The set back is not worth it. I think gradual strength building of especially the core is in order.  Next spring I will hit the yardwork as if nothing has changed but for this year, I still need recovery. It was wonderful to play outside though.  We have had a really crappy spring in the Chicago area.  I thought it was very important to share my over doing it for everyone. I plan to focus on building core strength more than weight loss after my mishap last weekend.  Time heals all but I believe we can help time too by working on the right areas.  Back to yoga and zumba for me.  They will do alot more for my post surgery body than the treadmill or elliptical.  Don't rush it and when it starts to hurt, please stop.  I learned the hard way.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

I was told 4 weeks after surgery you can come out of the surgery bra and wear something else, but no underwires. As for compression I have no idea since I didn't have to wear one on stage 1.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

Anita.... Have you had a stage 2?  Just wondering.... thank you for your words of wisdom... I already know that taking it easy is not something I am good at.

After my total hysterectomy I was wheeled into the PACU... I said... get this damn catheter outta me and please get me something to eat... The gal next to me who had the same surgery was sipping on beef broth and my awesome nurse delivered me broccoli and meatloaf... (I was even shocked).... Catheter came out about 16 hours early and I was off.... I am defintely thinking Stage 1 recovery will NOT work quite like that.... but I'm not too patient and I know I need to be.

I did find even with my hysterectomy I had something I called "swelly belly" for many weeks after whenever I overdid it.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

My body screams at me if I overdo- so I try to listen before it gets too loud. These past few days have been sleepy and more pain than I like so taking naps is on the agenda!

Thanks Anita for the reminder - I am 2 weeks out of butt lift type stage 2

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

Marsha...I have had severe complication following both of my 2 stage 1 surgeries...both of which were at SCSH...what a professional staff.  The docs work as a team even if you are not their patient.  Since some of my complication have happened here at home also I have sent pics and emails of the area in ? and the doc always responds quickly.  I have never doubted their amazing abilities.  My first stage 1 was a bilat diep.  left side failed..was removed 6 days later.  My complication that round included the belly scar opening a bit which required daily attention and hyperbaric oxygen treatments as well as a wound vac...all overseen by Dr Massey out of town...no worries.  I spent 12 days the second time around with my gap flap in the hospital with an infection...staff knew just what to do to save that flap and get me thru it all.  You can do this too!!  Try not to let it worry you too much.  They are wonderful!

Maggie

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2013

Yeah, Marty! So happy for you.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Thanks Betsy, that is probably the best advise about the bra shopping! I have a drawer full of bras (whenever I felt low in the past year I would go buy myself a new bra and have a sleeve sewn in the mastectomy side) I know they won't go to waist ( I am going to bring them to the chemo room and tell the nurses to offer them if someone might need them, also my prosthetic Breast )

I am still swollen but wake up with a smile and am soo happy with the results already, wanted to schedule stage 2 before I left Nola but dr said I needed to wait for insurance to approve before I could schedule :(

I am hoping for sometime in July :)

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Not making much progress. Only made it to the chair today. I think all the meds are compounding the dry mouth and nausea. Not much in my stomach. Haven't had much of a view but just looking down things look good. Having trouble sleeping tonight. Feeling miserable

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Aw klanders... sorry for the misery. The meds made me feel sick... Once I stopped meds, I was much better. It will improve very soon :)

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Klanders....

I cannot even tell you how much I have been thinking of you.... My heart is with you... We are so close in surgeries... I have been looking to you... so optimistic... so hopeful of your progress... I'm sorry you have had a tough time.  I can only hope that things will get infinitely better as each hour passes.... 

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Also wanted to let NOLA ladies know....

I've spoken to at least 4 NOLA people today since my bs was switched at the witching hour.  Apparently, Dr. D has been fiercely trying to have two BS in particular do surgeries at St. Charles.  Insurance coverage has been a real issue and has not allowed these particular physicians to work at St. Charles.  Dr. D has apparently worked with Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. Coresetta over the last 10 years (perhaps at Ochsner); but they were not able to practice at St. Charles.... (I'm working on limited brain memory here....).  Dr. D of course wants his patients (if possible) at his facility... and so has been working hard to get them hospital privileges....

It is my understanding that these two BS were recently (and I mean very very recently) approved and allowed to perform surgeries with the practice at SCSH.... I was told that Dr. D is ecstatic about this and it's a major deal.

I was assured that Dr. George Fuhrman is excellent... as is Corsetta.... they are in their mid to late 40's.... I got the impression that Dr. Stolier might be transitioning... but I cannot say for sure....  I just wanted to let ladies know this is the info I received and I am just trying to go with the flow.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Thanks Mother! This is tough but I know it will get better. I too was switched - from dr Stolier to dr Gray. I panicked and called Dr Massey (I'm not even her patient) and she reassured me. They seem to choose their BS's with great care because it's a reflection on them. You will be in good hands. They understand that we want to keep our nipples and mine are still with me. :-)

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Dr Stolier is 69 or 70 years old. So perhaps he is retiring. I am sure Dr D who is super energetic and committed to what he does jumped thru major hoops to get the best. And yes oschner is a great hospital.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Klanders, thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon and get a restful night sleep.

I'm scheduled for May 8 and I wrote a check to Dr. Stollier so I would be surprised if they changed it but good to know that's a possibility.

I don't think I will be able to keep my nipples and I'm OK with that. The cancer is too close to one nipple and the other is weird looking from the lumpectomy on the other side. Both are inverted and never looked all that attractive anyway.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

Anita, thanks for posting! Our stage 1 surgeries were around the same time, and I've been wondering lately if I'm still feeling the effects of the surgery, especially after gardening.

Klanders, the pain meds they were giving me were making my blood pressure low and I felt awful. Meds on an empty stomach can be rough too. They gave me a different med and it resolved the issue. Don't underestimate what a feat sitting in a chair is! Slowly, slowly.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited April 2013

Another great BS they use there is Dr. Lagarde.

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Lagarde is very good and is who KBODIE had....

Marsha... I had also paid Stolier.... best part about the change is Vickie will be refunding me $1100... and Dr. Fuhrman is apparently "in network"... So I thought that seemed amazing... just an FYI.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2013

Klanders,

Heartfelt get well wishes coming your way!

Ugh-- the nausea and awful dry mouth thing. I'd eat crackers and they turn to sawdust. I'd take drink of ginger ale, eat cracker right away--still sawdust. Toast just dried into a wad. Seems like there could be something to swab mouth with for this dry mouth.

I brought my own campbells chicken n stars microwave to go soup. That finally helped and stayed down. Also brought bottled Carnation Breakfast protein drink.

We all diff though on what works.

Maybe you can ask doc what they can do differently for all your next surgeries? Patch behind ear, diff anesthesia methods??

I thought my nausea & vomiting was related to length of surgery.

Stage 1 = 12 hrs

Stage 2= 8

Stage 3 = 4

No such luck! was a sicky for all! Was kept an extra day for all my surgeries.

Wish there was a magic pill for that but it would just prob make me sick, too. :)

Nurses would put cold wash cloth on forehead and that helped.

Prayers for your body to heal and gain strength soon. You'll be walking around NOLA soon!

Slowly but surely.

• 4my4babies
    4my4babies Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2013

Quick question for those who have been there done that Stage 2. My breast drains were pulled before I left the hospital. I pulled first one from my hip on Thursday one week out from stage 2. It was down to putting out 15 and 8 mil the last two days. My other hip drain was still going pretty strong at around 25-30 ml a day, still fairly red. Then last night, next to nothing. After all day. I thought it weird, stripped the drain and went to bed. This morning, again practically nothing. Thinking something was plugged, I stripped it hard and got maybe 10 out....that's over more than 24 hours, still more red than yellow like all the others. I've never had a drain just dry up like this. Is that odd or does it just happen sometimes? I'd love to be able to get TI of it earlier than I thought, but it seems strange and I wonder if I'm not drinking enough fluids or if the mild case of diarrhea I had yesterday depleted me. Any thoughts? Thanks!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

I didn't experience having the output turn red. Why would that happen? One of my drains stopped producing so I took it out, but apparently it had been plugged or not placed well because I had to have seromas drained for weeks on that side.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

4My4 - The color of one of my drains turned yellowish, but the other never changed from red to yellow.  The output diminished sharply from one day to the next.  I assume you are still on the antibiotics.  Because I reacted to minocycline, Dr. M put me on Cipro this time.  Because it kills the good gut bacteria it can cause diarrhea.  I took probiotics at mid day to help.  

Kristen - ask the docs about the antibiotic.  The minocycline had me nauseous, altered my senses of taste, smell and vision. If they have you on that one, a change could help.  Sometime the problems stem more from the antibiotics than the pain meds.  So sorry you are not feeling well.

• m1970
    edited April 2013

Motherandchild, my check is in the mail but has not been cashed. I just looked up Furhman and he is in network for me too, and I've already paid my deductible this year. I just wish he was exclusively a breast surgeon.

http://www.ochsner.org/find_a_doctor/doctor/george_fuhrman/

When I did my lumpectomy in 07 I found 2 BS in VA that were published and widely known at major teaching hospitals. I went with the one in my town, but I would have gone to Charlotesville for the other one had I not been impressed. I also found out that Elizabeth Edwards (senators wife) has the same doctor, and that comforted me. I figured she had the resources to search for and get the best. This was before all the scandal.

I'm sure these doctors are very skilled, still I want the best. Wish I knew more about this doctor.

• motherandchild5
    edited April 2013

Marsha.... Dr D's nurse was very reassuring... she actually had surgery herself and requested him personally (she said)... She also said his schedule is packed full and he does mostly breasts....

I noticed his name was on many peer reviewed studies with dr. Stolier... also Kbodie told me he had written a book about breast management.... I'll have to look it up and take a peek.... 

Ok here it is on amazon.... http://www.amazon.com/Multidisciplinary-Breast-Management-Surgical-Clinics/dp/1455773344

He looks to be the real deal... and with the reassurance from the team yesterday, I feel pretty good about it....

• m1970
    edited April 2013

Motherandchild, I am sure he is and thank you for those references. It is my need for control to think I'm doing the best I can to deal with this sucky situation.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2013

I had Dr. Stollier in 2008 as a breast surgeon- he did my bilateral MX. Then, over the years, he was gone for a while, then he was back. Now it sounds like he's going again. In any case, I am sure sure sure whatever BS's the NOLA docs get are excellent and top knotch. 

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

I believe you have to wear it until the drains are out. No underwire bra until 4 weeks too. Check your papers they gave you. I belive it's on there too:) I have a gift card for Victoria Secret and I can't wait to use it! Hubby got it for me for xmas and it reads "Get something for your new boobs!" lol LOved that!!!!

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Dr Stolier used to work in Metaire and would "visit" SCSH to do the Mxs, just like Lagarde and Gray... When I had my MX, Dr Stolier was in-network for me. Then last year sometime the NOLA docs moved him into their office. I remember needing to call his old office to request my records be moved as the records didn't move with him. I believe that once he moved, he became part of their billing department??

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

Marsha1970 - there aren't too many things we can 'control' in this situation, but checking on our surgeons is one of those things we can and must do - so totally understand your asking questions.

I know from my experience I checked, rechecked and then asked tons of questions. Finally satisfied and now totally thrilled and trusting of my team of Drs.

The best to you

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

Klanders...I can't stress enough to drink liquids constantly. It really helps flush the body out. The nurses couldn't believe how much they were emptying my urine!! Anything that sounds good to you Eat it!! Wishing you healing and more healing!! Hang tough!!! Hugs!!!