Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

Oh klanders how I remember the burning pain in my chest after the mx! I had expanders placed during the mx. I complained to my ps about that. He put me on iburophen. You need to tell the Drs. about that. I had the lung issues after my hip flap surgery. I am a little over 2 weeks out and its finally relsolved. EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN IN LITTLE AMOUNTS. PROTEIN..PROTEIN...I AM PRAYING FOR YOU AND SENDING HUGS!!!!

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Thinking of you Motherandchild!!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Klanders- I think the pain meds and antibiotics do a number on us. I couldn't eat, and had vision issues too. Like Marty it was Minocycline. The Oxy gave me very vivid nightmares. My meds were changed and I got off pain meds as soon as I could. (6 days) finally those issues went away.

Keep on the deep breathing and walking. Flexeril did help me, but my sore back was from sleeping.

Thinking of Mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Thinking of mother and know that she is in the best of hands today :))

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Love that flexerll. It is soooo very helpful. When I took bactrim, I generally threw up before it even fully dissolved. My mother broke out in huge welts from it. Keflex gave me yeast infections. Just to demonstrate that you will find the antibiotic you can tolerate. Did you get an Rx for zofran for nausea? Might help while you wait for appointment. And, I know I couldn't blow the spirometer more than 1,000 for the first 10 days.

• Cherrie
    edited April 2013

There were a couple of nice ladies who passed forward some items before my stage 1. If there is anyone that has a need for these I would be happy to pass them forward.

2- adhesive pockets to put in shirts for drains(thanks Adey)

2-wrap style shirts from Confident Clothing Company (never worn, but washed) expensive

These are mediums that run slightly small. (Thanks Jennifer)

2-short sleeved, M, linen button down shirts (Aqua and Lime Green)

1-Large, front enclosure, Medical Comfort Bra ( after breast augmentation, mastopexy, DIEP,etc. sz. 38, never came out of package

If you are interested please PM me with name and address and I will pass them forward. Maybe you will be able to do the same.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2013

Good grief. SNB on both sides? I honestly think these docs have not heard of women getting LE from SNB. I would never agree to SNB on a side with no issues. I had SNB, all clear, and oh, we took two nodes that were "close by" - I never agreed to that, the surgeon just did it. I have LE issues on that side. I would never alow SNB on the propylactic side personally given what I experienced. LE is a real pain, and I dont' have it bad either. But I hate it. It is the one lingering thing from BC that I really regret. You hair grows back, you can get boobs. The LE just keeps on giving. Ugh!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

So the question is, if she was doing PMX and had suspicious stuff on one side, no diagnosis as of yet, would you have the SNB on that side? Or take the chance that the suspicious stuff is not cancer and if it is then you have lost the opportunity for SNB, and now need full dissection. I guess since today was surgery day, her decision has been made. Let's all hope she has clean pathology. I do like the idea of the dye and clip to mark it.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Klanders, Oh honey I wish I could be there to hold your hand and tell you everything is going to be alright.  You know things will get better but it's hard when you are swallowed up by pain and discomfort.  You really must talk to the Dr's though as soon as possible.  Not being able to move around or stand up straight to open up that chest cavity and breathe deep can set you up for mild lung inflammation at the least and pneumonia at the worst.  Let them know and get some peace of mind.  I think of you and pray for your healing daily.

LAstar, what a great idea with the clips for future id of the SN!  

Mother, can't wait to hear how things went with you even with the big choice they hit you with right before surgery.  As if we don't have enough on our minds already.  what a ride!

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2013

Thanks again everyone for the prayers and support! I had a nice chat with Amy (NOLA) and she set me straight :-). - I am now taking my narcotic Lortab and it's amazing how much better I felt this afternoon. I don't seem to have a problem with the bactrim. I just felt a little loopy after the Lortab but no nausea. I think I will probably be going home with 3 drains - only one has really slowed down - although that breast is more swollen than the other.

I had to have SNB's on both because I had cancer in both breasts. I have cording on the left so I've been using my right "good" arm for blood pressure and injections. Kristin, the PT at NOLA, wanted them to do the IV in my neck. The anesthesiologist didn't like the idea and it didn't thrill me either so I took the chance and used my right arm for everything. Thankfully it worked out okay.

Praying for Mother tonight. I've had a lot of moments when I wished I'd never done this surgery but I think I've turned that corner.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

Klanders and motherandchild, I'm thinking about both of you.

Klanders I hope the pain gets better soon and you are getting the care you need.

Motherandchild, I hope you are peace with your SNB decisions and you are recovering well.

It's getting close, I'm next. Tomorrow is my last day of work and I fly out Thursday morning. Spending a few days in Nola before the surgery. I now wish I hadn't planned the extra days because I'm still tired from my SNB 2 weeks ago and I am so sad about leaving my son. But it's all set so off I go.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

thinking of all you ladies in recovery this week...happy healing and one day at a time.

got a little bit of a curve ball thrown at me today and not sure how to swing at it..I am scheduled for stage 2a June 24th and today my care cooridinator emailed to say that Dr M wants to do the Lymph node transfer surgery along with the stage 2 which means a longer surgery than expected and a longer recovery as well.  I want to do it as it has a fantastic success rate for helping with the LE (which sux by the way) but with the complication I have experienced I am hesitant.  My butt is still not 100% better...the hike swelled it back up good but I am doing better for sure.  I just cannot wrap my head around a long recovery again...had my heart set on an easy go of it.  Just need you to cheer me on ladies...I know I need to do this...I just don't wanna..waaa waaa (baby crying)

Maggie-2

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Marsha we are two days apart but I will be in Chicago. Protein up now, probiotics, and start Miralax at least 3 days early. Enjoy your time in NOLA as it is a great place to be. Have fun!

• klanders
    edited May 2013

Marsha,

I will be praying for you. As you can tell from all my whining and comments it's not easy but it will get better. A couple days ago I was so distraught and wishing I'd just chopped my breasts off, but each day is better and I'm positive that in the end I will be glad that I did this. My breasts are beautiful and I know stage 2 will help with the rest. You will do great - just don't be stupid like I was and stop the narcotics. :-) Sorry I'll miss you. We leave Thursday morning.

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Oh Maggie! I know you will do great, but you seem to take the difficult path. Cry your butt off and then get fired up for feeling and looking great in the future. You are one tough cookie girlfriend. I think about you often.

• klanders
    edited May 2013

Ditto what Cherrie said about NOLA! What other Doctor's office picks you up at the airport in a limo? And every single staff member/nurse is wonderful. You are in great hands.

• klanders
    edited May 2013

Just saw your post Maggie. So sorry!! You've been so patient listening to me whine and cry - we don't mind sharing your sorrow. You've had it tough. Praying for you, too. You've been such an inspiration to me.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

Oh, Maggie -- I wish you could have a quick-and-easy surgery for 2a!  I didn't know that the PS at the Center do lymph node transfers -- that is very exciting!  

Glad to hear that you are feeling a little better, klanders!  Any little bit helps, and the right meds make a huge difference.  

Thinking about mother today and looking forward to her check-in!

Marsha, I hope you get a little energy when you get to NOLA so you can have a little fun!  My favorite restaurant is Cochon on Tchoupitoulos!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

Mags,

I had the lymph node transfer during my Stage 2 surgery on Dec 14, 2012 with Dr Kline in Charleston. I was in hospital for two nights. My arm was wrapped by PT-CLT prior to surgery.

The LNT should normally only take 2-2.5 hrs. Mine took about an hour extra (I think) because when they went to anastomise/ sew arteries together, they were incredibly small and I was told the smallest thread? (whatever you call it) manufactured had to be used and my vessels were the smallest they had ever encountered. But was definitely successful from a surgery standpoint. So far so good and no LE flares but I want to get through lots of activity and a hot summer to test it out.

So total surgery was 8 hours, but I think that depends on what else you are having done.

You probably already know that having LNT is kind of like having another flap surgery only without a skin paddle. Also, I did not have dopplers because vessels so tiny and deep it wouldn't hear them.

My left groin was donor site and right axilla was recipient site. My groin was a little tender when I would stand up for about a week.

My LNT was actually the easy part of my Stage 2!

I had 3 drains and my axilla drain was pulled at discharge. I pulled left breast drain at one week and groin site at 12 days post op.

I only had left breast worked on at Stage 2. He lifted and rotated left flap the most he ever had. Did a tiny bit of fat grafting over a divot in my chest wall.

Doc wanted to wait until Stage 3 to work on right breast because of so much radiation damage he wanted me to have 8 months between Stage 1 and 2 on poor rightie. Also had HBOT to help the crappy rads damage.

Some docs take nodes from neck as the donor site. Do you know donor site yet?

You've been through so much dealing with complications so your hesitation is definitely understandable. But I doubt Dr M would do it if she didnt think it would be successful. You've got lots of time to research and ask questions. Keep us posted!

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Cherrie so nice of you to pass along those items:)

Klanders...so great to hear you are doing better and that your breasts are beautiful !

Mags..you can do this! You have come so far!

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Maggie-2 I have found that just like no 2 if us are exactly alike, neither have my surgeries! I expected my stage 1b to be as trying as my stage 1a and it truly wasn't at all. Hoping the same for your 2 with LNT -

Hugs

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2013

Hey lovers....

I made it on the jet plane and over to the other side.

So far no nausea....pain is not well controlled since I am falling asleep and waking up and in fairly moderate pain.. my hisband just finally set a 10 min. Alarm so I don't for get.

My surgery was 8 hours! Holy sh izzle! I guess dr. D did a Diep 2 in one side.

Cant thankk u all enough doe support and helping with SNB. Between LA suggestion and some reading I did.. I think I made an awesome decision. Dr. FUHRMAN doesn't use dye.... so he found it with some radio active technique and placed a metal marker on it and then placed a blue stitch to identity in the future if needed! Yay!!!!!!

Haven't eaten yet... very worried about getting pain tolerable.

Thank u everyone... xxooo

Jennifer

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Yay Jennifer, you sound fabulous.  Rest.  Push that pain pump.  Eat lightly and a walk will be on its way soon!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

Jennifer, so glad to hear your update. I hope you can get that pain under control soon.

Will you be at the hope lodge after May 4? If so we might see each other because that's when I'm checking in.

Marsha

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2013

Jennifer, sounds great. Glad you figured out the SNB.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

Mother/jennifer I am so glad the doc did the less evasive thing. Now concentrate on rest and healing. You will be up and walking soon

Maggie

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

Wow Jennifer you sound wonderful after such a long day yesterday!!! Keep up the good work and feel better soon :)

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited May 2013

Jennifer you sound great!! Welcome to the other side. I am so glad you were able to take the less invasive route for the SNB.
    My husband had to set a timer too so I could press that pain pump, so just stay on top of the pain. Sending you healing hugs!!

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Jennifer, I am sooo glad to hear from you.  Congratulations for crossing to the other side!!  Geez I can't wait to hear those words.  Just like the other ladies say hit that pain med button and take things slowly.  Yippee for you!

Has anyone heard from 4my4babies?

Klanders, hope you're doing well today.

Cherrie and Marsha1970 I'll be putting out positive prayers for your upcomings.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2013

Wonderful update Jennifer!  Glad you were able to come to a decision on the SNB that you are comfortable with.  Happy healing!