Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2013

So good to hear from you Jennifer! I'll be in to see Dr Sullivan today. Not sure if you want a visitor? I'm guessing not.

Well I figured out last night that I can't take any medicine with hydrocodone (lortab). I should have known because I've had past problems with norco which contains same medicine. Hydrocodone gives me insomnia! I didn't fall asleep until about 6:30 am and I slept for about 2 hours before getting up because I was so uncomfortable. I'm not getting around well today because I've just had Tylenol. Two steps forward one step back. But this too will pass. Hoping to find out oncotype score today but I would bet they won't have it back yet.

Klanders aka Kristin

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2013

Kristin.....come visit for sure! :) I'm looking ugly... but I know you understand!

Room 206
  • Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Welcome to the other side, Jennifer'

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

Yay, Jennifer -- so excited that you could skip the SNB.  I wish I had thought about that before my own SNB.  

klanders, I hope you can sort out your meds before you leave.  It's easier to do it there if you need something like dilaudid, otherwise they have to FedEx your prescription to you.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

Kristin and Jennifer, be sure to PM each other your last names also so that you can visit each other.  First names or screen names won't be enough for the nurses.  

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited May 2013

Oh ladies coming out on the other side, I feel for you. Hope meds and pain and sleep and ahem, all the other post-surgical stuff gets worked out for you. Go a day at a time, ask ask ask about anything that is bothering or worrying you, then look forward to the week by week progression you will enjoy as you come back from this better than before!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

First names may be enough if you know the room number too... Haiving last names is best.

Jennifer... Happy to hear you figured out the SNB... And I had DIEP II also with Dr D... I think it involves a lot of teasing of the vessels... He is the master of teasing.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

Jennifer, you are on the same room I was in 2 weeks ago, relax and enjoy thy pampering, it gets better each day :))

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

so I am a little worried today.  Before I left home for this vaca I sent pics to doc about the small "hole" in the gap incision.  Today that little hole is leaking a little bit of fluid.  I am worried that it is going open up from the pressure of the seroma.  Is that even possible after 8 weeks?  Left email for doc's assistant as the Dr is out of town on a vaca for the week too...yipes...not sure if I need to do anything here out of town or not...probably not the best place for medical care here :(

Maggie

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Maggie, I had a SGAP on 4/25 last year and about 5 weeks later had a hole about the size of a pencil eraser on my stitch line start to leak. It was Memorial Day weekend so the Dr made a house call to Hope Lodge and looked at it. My caregiver was watching as he put a Qtip type cotton swab that was about 8 inches into the hole, she said it went almost completely in. He had me put Bactrim around the outside of the hole (I was still on my antibiotic) I still had drains. He also had me cover it with a clean ABD pad. Then I had an appointment to come to his office on Tuesday - 2 days later at which time he decided it best for me to have surgery the next day to take care of it.

We are all different, so are our Drs. - but I tell you this for 2 reasons. 1 - I had enough time to wait 2 days before an office visit and 3 days before surgery (WAS NOT ALLOWED TO GET IT WET THOUGH) and 2 - it does need medical attention and possibly surgery or stitches to close it.

Mine was just short of the time yours was, so could be different.

I would make sure it stayed clean and dry and ask your Dr or on call Dr what to do.

Hoping its nothing like mine and is easily stopped and healed!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Maggie - did you call Dr. M on her cell?  She should be back in Charleston as she is participating in the Dragon Boat Races on Saturday.  She told me that if I had a problem, call on the cell.  I did have a small hole open up in my ab incision.  She put me on antibiotic cream and cover with gauze pad.  Are you still wearing compression?

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2013

So sorry Maggie... that's tough! I hope that incision doesn't get worse!  I wish I had some words of wisdom for you... but I'm sure others will pipe in.

I just wanted to offer all kinds of reassurance to gals on the board considering DIEP.  It's been an amazing ride....I feel SOOOO good now... I hope I don't go down hill again?  I've heard you girls talk about Day 3... so I need to be guarded.

Got out of bed today to the chair (VERY difficult.. kind of dizzy)... then decided to do some walking... Did a ton of laps and decided I wanted my FOLEY out... It was sore!  My nurse was slow doing this... I seriously was going to do it myself.. I found a syringe and all to deflate the bulb...... but right at that moment Dr. D came in to visit.

I don't know what has gotten in to me... but I was standing and asked him to dance with me.  He told the nurse to get that dang catheter out... lol... We were chatting up a storm... (although he was tired since he had a long surgery today)... He said..."please jennifer... just humor me and try to act like a patient".... lol... So I finally sat down.... He even told me I was charming... hee hee... I said... "that makes two of us"....

He seems to be doing this interesting dressing techinque.. not sure if you gals had it... but he places a large "plastic wrap" type of material over breasts and chest... and then the bra goes over it.  The nurses said it's usually only done  ladies with post radiation... but they have been seeing more and more of it.

The plastic wrap and bra were cut out so my nipples could pop through!  and YES, you did hear me correctly... MY NIPPLES! Tongue Out  My breasts have been swelling from the trauma of surgery... so he had to cut the bra out a bit more  to allow room for my nipples...

I am just finishing my last IV antibiotic.... I'm on Lortabs q 4-6 and Toradol q12.  I'm bummed the toradol can't be given more frequently!!!  I had terrible pain coverage with the Morphine drip... but the loretab has been great.  But the toradol is the best as it really helped with my front sternum pain.

Dr. Fuhrman my BS called me about an hour ago and was so sweet... He said that he marked both sentinal nodes with 4 clips each... designating North, South, East and West... So we won't have any trouble if I need to find them.  He said he could see my left nerve in the axilla area... but not my right... so he asked if I was having any numbness... 

My goal is shower tonight.... I'm a day early but I think I can get Laura to go along with it.... I've got greasy hair syndrome since my hair is so fine!  So from sun-up I have been in my pink Yankees cap!

Alright time for a few more laps... I'm on to my 3rd icee... really splurging... I hope I don't put weight on after this... Also... I have one questions for the more experienced ladies... I've been able to stand up straight... and Dr. D was suprised by this... BUT, I'm worried... I'm kind of wondering if he didn't pull things tight enough??? Anyone have any advice?

Take care!

Jennifer

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

I have not been in compression for a few days... Dr M said at this point would not make a difference for me. I am waiting to hear back from her or Becky...so annoyed. It is a small hole nothing like what was on my belly. Nevera dull moment

Mother...horray you sound great. Keep walking and keep up those meds

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Maggie... Most holes or openings are NOT stitched shut because that runs the risk for trapping infection... usually patients are told to keep incision holes DRY and covered and compressed. In addition, betadine can help dry it up. It needs to heal from the inside out. Plus, you need to not stress the incision, so no unnecessary movement.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2013

I stood up straight after my DIEP. Don't know why. I certainly would not say I wasn't pulled tight enough! You sound like you are doing wonderful. Just stay on top of the pain meds! Otherwise there is a crash.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2013

Early May ladies!

May 8 - Marsha1970 - Stage 1, BMX with immediate bilateral DIEP, Dr. S,  NOLA

May 10 - Cherrie - Stage 2b, Dr. M, Chicago.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Oh my gosh Jennifer!  I want what you are having when I go!  Your last post just took away a HUGE chunk of my anxieties.  Thank you and congratulations on the nipple sparing Laughing.  That's a big hope for me too.  

I know this may sound silly but today was kind of a momentous day for me.  This is the first day since I scheduled over 3 months ago that I don't have to flip over the calendar to see my surgery date.  Makes it a whole lot more real for me.  I had all my pre-op testing done today at a local hospital in Erie.  One more item I can check off my never ending list of to dos and one step closer to that ever elusive "other side".

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

It is so great to hear from Jennifer and Kristin. Do what everyone says, eat light, walk, drink fluids, and get that pain under control before coming home. You will do great. You have us to lean on.

Maggie- you are such a trooper. Hope you get that phone call soon, if not CALL AGAIN!

Maggie 1- I too have stood up straight from the beginning and wondered if I was pulled tight enough?? I waited for the bent over posture, but it was never a problem. I was thankful, but secretly a little worried that I wasn't.

Marsha- it won't be long now. You are 2 days before me. Have some fun in NOLA.

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013

Maggie -

I had a similar concern several weeks out. See if you can go to a clinic and have someone out 3 or 4 steri-strips (like external stitches) along the opening to pull it closed. I did that and in a week the danger had passed.

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

at least I have some experience with this...and it is not nearly as big as the one that was on my belly.  Just hurts to sit on it and makes the fluid really come out...I wanted the seroma gone but good grief.  It is quite small...less than 1cm..like a little bb hole.  Got compression with a towel in it to absorb it all and neosporin.  May go buy some supplies to get home on tomorrow...errrrrr!

Maggie-2

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited May 2013

Jennifer your post cracks me up! I remember that post surgery giddiness+drug high. Very happy they are managing pain well. I have heard a lot about the lortab. I can't remember why I couldn't have it, does it maybe have codeine? But people LOVE it and it does the trick so stick to that for the time being! Glad you are already making laps!

As for incisions opening, definitely call. We just can't figure these things out on our own. Maybe nothing, maybe be something, need the surgeon to be the judge. Hope it is nothing and resolves itself.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Maggie... no ointment... it will prevent it from drying out.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

Jennifer....I need to tell the doctor "I want what she's having".

Maggie, sorry you are having difficulty. Hope you can get in touch with the doctor soon.

Cherri, wish you were in Nola. We can do this!

Klanders, good luck with the oncotype test. Hope you can get your pain managed soon.

My last day of work was yesterday. I'm waiting at the gate to board my plane. 3 hours of sleep last night.

I see my one check was cashed but not to Dr Stollier, but no one has called me to say they are switching my doctor. Not to happy about this lack of communication if that is what is happening.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

My aunt emailed to tell me its been raining in New Orleans and JazzFest is a mud bath, bring a rain coat. I have been stressing ever since my node surgery that I would not be recovered for this. Now it's like I have a free pass to lay around all day and read a book and sleep. I have been going 100 miles an hour since my diagnosis 6 weeks ago. Maybe a rainy day is exactly what I need.

I'll be in New Orleans by noon and staying in the French Quarter. Checking into Hope Lodge on Saturday.

I feel a mix of excitement and dread.

Marsha

• MartyJ
    edited May 2013

Betsy - actually Dr. M told me to use antibiotic ointment on the tiny place that opened up.  So, who knows.

Marsha - a day in bed sounds pretty good.  Enjoy it.  You have nothing to do but enjoy yourself for a few days.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

Marsha, I understand all of your feelings. Look forward to being on the other side as this is what you have been preparing for, for a long time. Enjoy your time there before. I loved Commanders Palace for lunch. My DH liked the 25cent martini's. that is inthe Garden District across from one of the cemeteries they give tours in. Fascinating! We also loved the Mississippi Queen paddleboat ride and especially the Swamp Tour. That is farther away. There is sooo much to do. The tram is worth getting on. You can take a bus right to where it starts.

Have fun and stay busy! Enjoy the Hope Lodge.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited May 2013

Jennifer, that's hilarious!! Dr. D is definitely charming :) Unfortunately, the day after my surgery when Dr. D came to see I was sitting in the chair and right after he examed me, I got very nauseous and had my head in a bucket. My husband and Dr. D chatted it up and even went down to look at Dr. D's car and I heard the engine rev from my room....again, while I have my head in a bucket...LOL I am SO glad to hear you are doing well. Stay on top of the meds and just listen to your body.

Marsha, a day of rest and relaxing sounds like what you need. If the rain lets up, you can take a stroll if you want, but right now the most important thing is you and that's physically and mentally. You have my number and feel free to message me if you need a friendly ear.  HUGS!!!

Chelle

• MartyJ
    edited May 2013

Chelle - you made my day!  Love the guys doing the car thing while you were enjoying the bucket.  Soooo normalSmile!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited May 2013

LOL Marty Wink My husband and I still joke about it. It was a "classic" moment.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Chelle... His Mazarati is very nice... I am sure your husband could appreciate the moment. Sorry for the bucket.