Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Dr. Stollier is the take 'em away doc.  Dr. D will be your artist who will put 'em back.  

Kristin - soo very glad you turned a corner.  You sound wonderful!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

Dr Stollier is the oncologist breast surgeon. He takes away all the breast tissue and makes sure there is no cancer. He also does the node biopsy or dissection if needed.

I think the important thing is that the BS and PS are working together because that doesn't always happen. In some places the BS does his thing and the PS works with what is left. They will keep your nipples if they can but if there is a risk, as in my case, they will not. Getting the cancer out is first priority.

So when I sent an email asking why my check to dr Stollier had not been cashed and the other check had I said if there is a change someone needs to tell me. They called and said there was no change and he was my surgeon and wanted to know where I got that impression. I told them talking to other patients.

So I don't know what to expect since they have switched doctors before and after my surgery date.

Given that I've had 2 different kinds of breast cancers in both breasts that are only visible on MRI and the first was much more extensive than seen on MRI it is a big deal to me who the breast surgeon is. I thought my first BS took a little more of my breast than I expected but he got clean margins and I've never had a recurrence on that side, so I think he did a good job. Also it looked on the mRI that my nodes were clean but he could see they were not and took all of them and in fact I had 4 out of 23 with cancer and there was a solid cm of cancer. Maybe any breast surgeon could recognize cancer, but what I'm saying is that it is a very important part of the procedure, as is the pathologist who prepare the tissue specimen for analysis. My breast surgeon attends the meeting where they review the pathology and decide on stage and grade which determines your risk level and treatment plan. He is the one who delivers the pathology results to me.

I'm getting my pathology repeated at VCU where I will do chemo and my breast surgeon will deliver the pathology results even though he did not do the surgery. If there are hormone receptors found on the new cancer side it could make a difference for whether I need chemo again, although I know I'll need Herceptin unless that was a mistake finding the her2 gene in my biopsy.

If they change doctors on me I will go sling with it, because I don't think I can wait any longer. I feel like I can feel a lump growing where my cancer was found 6 weeks ago when it was not palpable before. Also I lost 7 lbs in the past 2 weeks. So I don't feel like I can explore other options. But I won't be happy about it. However logically since I've already done the node biopsy all that is left to do is take all the breast tissue. That shouldn't be too hard. I will be asking questions about exactly what his role is in the handoff to pathology.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Marsha, could what you are feeling be scar tissue? And from what I hear those Drs are too smart to ruin their rep by using a 2nd class BS - I'm sure they hand picked the best of the best to be on their team. Certainly understand where you are coming from though!

Hoping best for you!

• m1970
    edited May 2013

I don't think I would have scar tissue from just a biopsy. My first cancer was in the opposite breast. Either way I'm taking care of it in 4 days. I understand unexpected things happen, at least the center has a network of doctors so they can continue on schedule. I would be devastated if my surgery was cancelled.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

My Dr's name is Dr Corsetti.  Anyone hear of him?

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

Barbma15...Your breast surgeon is the one who removes the breast tissue. Dr. D and Dr. Sullivan and Trahan are the reconstructvie drs. Don't worry it will be great!!! xo

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Got a call this am from Celeste to check to see how things are going. That was nice! I am itching like crazy. Which is healing. Drains will probably go another week or so. Went to see my PS here in CA. yesterday and the girls in the office were so blown away by my results. That sure felt good!

Klanders..So glad you are going home and doing better!!! Hugs!!

Wishing all the upcoming ladies peace and strength!!!!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

Betsy, it sounds like you found the right person to help you. I'll be very interested in what you learn. If the diep incisions were made on either side of the midline, would that be avoid the problem? It might not be as attractive an outcome, but it seems that LE should be considered in these procedures.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

My BMX was performed by Dr. Stolier. The pathology indicated a superficial margin of less than 1mm, which really concerned me. When he hand-delivered the path report, my husband and I discussed our concerns. I thought he kind of waved off our concerns, but he came in the next day (on a weekend) and said he'd been thinking about my case. He'd seen a case where DCIS had extended into the skin layer and agreed that I should have more of that area removed at stage 2. I appreciated that he took our concerns seriously. The final path for stage 2 was completely clear - he was right and had gotten it all, but I had great peace of mind. That said, I was thrilled to hear that klanders was taken right back into surgery when a margin came back as involved. They are paying attention! I would expect only the best at the Center.  They don't have all those fancy cars for nothing!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

Leigh Ann... I guess so. But I don't know how they could do that... you would end up with a point in the middle. I also think it is more of an issue in the back than the front, but that could be me projecting and misinterpreting what she said. I will say that I am now very convinced that the abdominal bloating thing that so many of us get is lymph drainage issues... and even though I have shown no signs of LE, I now believe ALL patients should get PT, after healing properly, to loosen up scar tissue, avoid adhesion and encourage drainage.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

I second Betsy on the importance of PT!

I have had six surgeries since BC diagnosis, and have been in continual PT since July 2011.

After each surgery my surgeon has to submit a new order.

Even if you don't have LE it's good to go to PT-CLT to help get ROM back appropriately, and scar release massage. Should you develop LE later, you're established with hopefully a fully certified PT. Preferably one who works only on cancer patients, primarily BC, like I was lucky to find.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited May 2013

I just found a station on Dish that is carrying the Jazzfest. Lots and lots of people there, not a place to be if you have had any surgery. Anyway not a place I would want to be after having surgery.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

PINKHEART.... I never signed on to PT because I never had ROM issues or LE, but I can now see that regardless, we retain fluid that we don't even know about ... and to be proactive to avoid LE and/or infection, I recommend PT approximately 2 months post surgery. For lymphatic massage and scar loosening. I will have my first treatment on Tuesday. I will report back.

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Betsy.. I second what you said about us getting PT ! I know you will keep us posted😋👍👍

• m1970
    edited May 2013

Judy, my aunt said that the constant rain made it miserably muddy at JazzFest. It was the excuse I needed not to even try to go. I slept all day yesterday and today instead. It's exactly what I needed.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2013

On a much lighter note- went to a local charity dinner/dance tonight with my husband, and when separated from him I can honestly say a younger man - probably 13-15 years younger, unquestionably flirted with me as we were side by side looking at the private auction! Mildly low cut dress, awesome new cleavage and flat tummy were the culprits I'm sure!

Good luck to those going and those healing.

• m1970
    edited May 2013

Pamela, you go girl!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited May 2013

I also went to a charity auction event tonight. My left breast was hogging a sparkly tank top terribly. No matter how many times I pulled it over, it slid right back. I always thought lefty was bigger and surgeon thought righty seemed bigger. Surgery goal was to reduce and even out. I have been on this board long enough to remain hopeful that will still happen. Also first time in 7 1/2 weeks going without compression. And my abs were hurting! lots of standing. Weird that I quit compression after 2 weeks after stages 1&2 and now have a hard time without it at 7 weeks.

Welcome home slanders!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2013

KBodie - The same problem is sending me back to NOLA in Nov for a Stage 2B. All my v-necks move over to one side. I hope that you just have post op swelling now and that your really are even!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

I know everybody is different but what is the average length of time to keep the compression garment on for 24/7 after stage 1?? Thanks and hope everybody has a great weekend :))

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Marcie - the doctors all differ, but Dr. M asks us to stay in it 24/7 for the first 6 weeks minimum.  

Pamela - what a hottie you are!

Kbodie - might help the docs if you take some photos so they can see how things are fitting.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Marcie. Rule of thumb for many is until one week post last drain. For me that was 9.5 weeks.

Woo hoo Pamela

Toomuch. I will miss you by a couple of weeks

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited May 2013

LAStar, I can chime in on the docs trying to take the abdominal flaps from each side because my local DIEP surgeon did that. Betsy is right-- it leaves a point! Any idea how goofy one looks with a very flat tummy, but a pointy bulge dead center???? Not very feminine, if you know what I mean!! :) Dr. D took care of it at stage 2, thank goodness.

Now I am having issues with swelling on my backside as well. I have chalked it up to sitting at my desk all day, but the old "bunny tail" effect is very puffy. Much worse than before stage 2. The area along my scars is very hard, and the middle part over my tail bone is very puffy and jiggly. I don't know if its a seroma, or LE, or what. It's not painful, just annoying and gets uncomfortable if I sit in one place for too long. It feels like a seroma because it is so jiggly.

I have decided that I am going to go for a 2b, but not until January. I don't know if I'm just supposed to ignore my puffy butt until then, or if I need to have it drained or get PT. I'm very much a "ignore it til it goes away" kind of gal, but that is probably not the smartest plan. Ugh!

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2013

Checking in......almost two years since my surgery. All is well. Best wishes to all. I am so happy I found this thread before I had my surgery. I have fabulous memories of my Nola time.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

Diane- you need to call the Center. You've come too far to have a setback. It may be nothing. but ..........

Tigsun-do you feel 100% two years out. It's been a long year for many of us.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Dianne... It sounds like me... I believe what you have is lymphatic swelling... I don't want to say LE because it isn't... But you could go for Lymphatic drainage of that area, and they can then encourage new pathways for lymphatic fluid. I would not want to stick a needle in there and drain it cause you could introduce a bacteria which would cause greater issues...

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

And Theresa... I remember going to NOLA 2 years ago and meeting you. You looked great then and I am sure look even better now.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited May 2013

I have an appointment next Monday with my MO, I guess I will ask him for a PT referral while I am there. I'm sure there must be someone who specializes in lymphatic therapy in this area. Anyone know of one in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area?

• bethcw
    bethcw Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2013

Dianne,

UNC has some great PT's in their Comprehensive Cancer Support Center.  Here is a link to their contact info:  http://www.nccancerhospital.org/ccsp/programs/integrative-medicine

I see Valerie Collins, and she is awesome!  I just started back with her this week to get my range of motion back after my stage 1 surgeries.

Take care, Beth

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2013

Dianne - Here's a link to the Duke Raleigh outpatient rehab site. If you're looking for an LE therapist, Carol LANA certified and wonderful!

http://www.dukeraleighhospital.org/healthservices/outpatient-rehabilitation/services/lymphedema-management