Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2013

I have both the LGS2 and LGT2.  I prefer the mid-thigh legs, but for some reason they tend to roll up.  If you go into their catalog online, they also have these same versions with additional compression.  That can be very helpful.  My dom with zippers from S1 and S2 are both XXL. Sizing tends to go down as you unswell.  I have Marena in XL and L.  I also have Dom without Zipper in XL and L.  The fabric of each is slightly different in feel.  Some of us prefer the Marena, but to others (like me), I have no preference other than the Dom (Design Veronique) feels as if it compresses more.  The band at the top of the Marena tends to be uncomfortable (probably just my figure0.  I have ordered  from both companies directly, and then found that MakeMeHeal.com sells all at a discount with free shipping.  Saved money with that orderKiss!  If you are wondering why I have so many, it is because Dr. M wants us to wear compression for quite a long time (like forever).  

Marcie - I second what KSue said.  Dr. M had to lift my leftie and remove a batwing at the back so she had to reopen the entire incision plus some.  On the right, she only opened a portion to remove the batwing.  (Most people don't have the batwing, but it was left over from my original MX 28 years ago).  I think for Stage 2b, we will probably just do fat grafting without opening any of the incisions.  Because Stage 2 is not as invasive as Stage 1, even with the incisions opened the recovery period is much shorter.  After 2 weeks, you should be able to work and drive though you will be bruised from the lipo.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2013

Stage 2 compression depends on what you had done. Mine was breast lift and lipo of flanks. I got the Marena that went from crotch to high waist. I dont like the band at the top either. My 2b was just scar revision so my two Marenas are still being worn. My 2c will be thigh lipo and fat grafting so I will need a mid-thigh to waist. I thought of wearing my Dom for this, but it is high waisted. I may order Something else, unless I can cut my Dom to the waist. I don't know how to do this with the zippers.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2013

Cherrie,

I had a friend cut straight through the Dom zippers and it worked fine. I was so surprised. But they were too high waisted for her, and after stage 1, she needed compression for 9 weeks, so she got creative. 

• MartyJ
    edited June 2013

Cherrie - from my understanding, they say that you don't wear the zippered garment beyond getting the drains out (2 - 3 weeks).  Then you change to non-zippered.  I actually like the non-zip, but they are a challenge to get on.  Eliminating the zipper ripples and bulk is helpful and makes slim fitting clothes fit better.

I hope you and DH are doing well.  So sorry about the most recent challenge.  You will definitely rise above!

• Cherrie
    edited June 2013

Thanks Marty. I just hate that we have to worry about this every time we go in. I go back in 3 mo. and my DH has more excision on Tuesday. I was so tired of that fear with BC. now this!

Marty-I am trying to cut costs on this compression for the next stage. What did you get for thigh compression? My flanks have already been done. I have been in compression for 14 weeks 24/7. I believe I will need waist to mid- thigh. Was Dr. M conservative or liberal with thigh lipo for you? Did you have both inner and outer done? I worry about the theory of fat coming back to areas not lipoed, so I want balance for the future.

• MartyJ
    edited June 2013

Cherrie, she did flank last time. Outer thighs will come in August. I have several garments that are to just above the knees like the Dom. I have a mid thigh Marena, but it tends to roll up. I totally sympathize. I did wear a support panty for about 2 of the 5 months between 1 and 2a. I will be in compression from April through ??? My last surgery should be December with inner thighs, fat grafting and nipples. Wish I could be more help.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2013

Hi Marcie... well it seems some people didn't have breast revisions... Each time I have had surgery, he revises things. Do you have any ideas what Dr S will be doing at stage II? For my last surgery, Dr D will only work on my left breast, so I am working on my scars, as I did post stage II. The only incision not reopened at stage IIb was the middle of my abdomen.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2013

Hi Betsy,

I am already very happy with the size that dr d. Did for my Uni side, I think he will have to definately do a lift on the other side and some lipo in my behind or lift there too. I am hoping that is all I will need but only time will tell. I am thinking maybe August or September for my stage 2.😊

• Cherrie
    edited June 2013

Ok, I will look around for waist to mid thigh. I hate the idea of it rolling up. My Dom didn't do this. You said outer thighs next time and inner thighs in Dec. Can it both be done at one time? I would like to be done in Sept. and not have to go back in. I know she doesn't like to do a lot at one time.

• MartyJ
    edited June 2013

The dom wasn't a mid-thigh, it went to the top of the knees so no roll.  None of my garments that come to just above the knee roll up.  I got a mid-thigh in hopes of wearing a shorter skirt.  Maybe it will stop rolling after the next procedure.

I have a feeling that you will be done in September as you are one step ahead of me.  September will be your 2c.  My 2c will be December since I am doing all in Charleston.  

• bdavis
    edited June 2013

I had no trouble with any garment rolling except for the flexees I bought that are like boy shorts that come up the abdomen... They rolled both top and bottom. The marena's I have do not roll. I believe that almost any garment that is like a hot pant short is going to roll unless its loose, which defeats the purpose.

• MartyJ
    edited June 2013

Betsy - the mid-thigh is not a boy short.  It comes to the middle of the thigh, but for some reason the leg rolls up every time I wear it.  Maybe anatomical, but the roll is not only aggrevating it feels like the blood flow is being blocked.  Perhaps that will change with hip/thigh lipo.  The longer above knee length has been more comfy, but not much compression in the 5 inches above the bottom band.  Actually a bit loose.  

• bdavis
    edited June 2013

Marty... Unfortunately/fortunately we are all shaped differently. Some people may have skinny legs and wide hips and for the garment to fit the hips, it will be loose in the legs or vice versa. Unless you get a custom made garment, you run the risk of one area fitting right and another loose. I am fairly well proportioned, so it compresses rather evenly everywhere... and I love the Marenas. But the flexee brand I found super annoying. For the 3 or 4 inches it went down my legs, it would roll into the crotch and it would also roll down my belly. I agree that when it rolls, it feels like it must be cutting off circulation, which not only defeats the purpose of compression, but also complicates things. I am sure that one day when I wore a particular pair of pants, it was tight in my belly, and after that I think my lymphatic flow was amiss.

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2013

Russell - My new incision on the booty does go from crack to crack.  You will be provided with a stage 2 garment from the center but it will have zippers on the side.  With stage 1, I used the garments provided by the center the whole time because I had drains for 8-9 weeks.  Since drains were removed so quickly this time, I would like a garmet without the zippers so that it won't be so bulky on the sides.

So, speaking of stage 2 garments, I looked at the site the center used for my stage 2 garments www.fstubbs.com (Flex Support by Frank Stubbs Co.  They have a new stage 2 garment that doesn't use zippers.  Has anyone tried it?

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited June 2013

Thanks Ksue:) How long do we have to wear compression after Stage 2? How is the fat doing they put in the breasts? Sorry so many questions!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2013

Marty.. I bought the same marena and have the same problem on my fatty fat thighs...annoying. I do like the feel of the marena fabric though.The hospital I was just at uses a garment similar to the dom but with wide elastic band top. I like it but by the end of the day no matter what I do those dang drains hurt...maybe she will let one of them be gone soon!

Maggie 2

• Cherrie
    edited June 2013

I think I have fatty fat thighs too! I am also short so maybe the mid thigh will come lower. I have until September to worry about this.

Melanie- I had stage 2a done in Feb. and 2b in May and I am still in 24/7 compression, but my doc really believes in it. There are many opinions on this. Betsy says it is helpful for lymphatic pathways and Marty says compression on tummy scar helps in healing. I take their word for it and am still going strong. I figure I am in compression most of this year.

• MartyJ
    edited June 2013

K-Sue - just looked at the fstubbs.com site.  The pricing on those is much, much lower than Design Veronique (Dom) or Marena.  How does the garment compare to the Dom from Stage 1?  Is it as supportive?

Cherrie - I think that you, Maggie and I are about the same height (5'3") so you might want to get something a bit longer so it doesn't roll. The LGT2 rolled, but the LGS2 stays in place (wearing it now).  Though I think I may be ready to go down a size in Marena.

Maggie - do you know which garment the Chicago hospital provided?  I had my 2a at Roper in Charleston where they give you the standard DV Dom.  I think they may be providing them at Dr. M's request as she prefers them and since she operates in the Heart & Vascular Center OR they may be keeping them just for her.

• mags20487
    edited June 2013

I will ck the tag tomorrow when I shower...have late morning appt for therapy then gotta ck in at my store and see what is going on there. It looks just like the marena high waisted with zips up side...just black

• mags20487
    edited June 2013

ok it is a veronique model 753

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited June 2013

It's been a while since I have posted but have kept up to date on the going ons with everyone! Since summer is right around the corner and its swimsuit time I thought I'd share this link to Veronica Brett swimsuites made especially for breast cancer patients.   I took a peek and they look nice, expensive but if well made and last may be worth it for some of you's who have trouble finding a suit to enhance and hide scars!  I didn't buy one - just thinking about it if I can't find one that looks good on me this summer.

Takr Care,

Geralyn

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/21/veronica-brett-swimwear-breast-cancer_n_3308016.html#slide=more298541

• MartyJ
    edited June 2013

Maggie - that one looks perfect for thigh lipo.  They make a version without the zipper as well for after the drains.  Does it come up very high on the torso?

• mags20487
    edited June 2013

I sits a few inches above waist but below the breasts.  I had to cut the ones from last surgeries--too high for my short torso--yep 5' 3 1/2"... now they kinda slide off me...disturbing the drains.  This one is perfect.  Was able to position drains yesterday and almost 24 hrs later they still feel good....sad I have to take a shower and mess with them again.  The ones from fstubbs are much cheaper.  Guessing when they say contact closure they mean velcro.  Saw that they also have hook n eye with zips too

Therapy went well here locally.  She wraps tighter than Meghan at Dr M's office so takes some adjustment.  getting used to being a one armed bandit

Maggie 2

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2013

Hi all. It's been a long time since I signed in.  It's great to see some new faces and some "old" ones too! This is such an awesome resource (both the site and the clinic) and I'm so glad to see it going strong. I know my show-and-tells have sent a few ladies down to NOLA and it makes me feel great that they're getting the same expertise and care I did. I know this site was a lifesaver for me when I was going through my surgeries.

Even though I am thrilled with my result (I had my hip flap and double mastectomy in Jan 2011, Stage 2 in June 2011 including a tummy tuck, Stage 2B in October 2011 due to a bursa in my stomach) I still have a small issue. After 2B I thought my stomach was bulgy but I was told it could take up to 18 months to fully heal. Well, it's been 20 months and still bulgy (I am normal weight and it looks worse than before the tummy tuck). So I sent some photos to Dr. S and he agreed, it's not right. It's possible all I need is some liposuction on my stomach or it could be more.

So, here I am, back in the fold and looking forward to reconnecting and also making some new friends!  Oh yes, I'm scheduled for my 2C on August 29th. Hopefully there will be some others down there (and sweating it out!) in August with me.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2013

Kathryn, I added your 2c surgery to the list above.

Anybody else I may have missed? PMing me is best! 

• mags20487
    edited June 2013

wanted to share...friend with new baby started chemo yesterday.  pet scan showed only regional..no metastasis!!!  so happy for her..tumor was large and is in lymph nodes but still good news

welcome back Kathryn

maggie 2

• mags20487
    edited June 2013

me again...need some input.  tomorrow is two wks since surgery...drains have been boogers today.  just stripped em and readjusted them...huge firm clot at the top...had to remove from line by removing bulb and stripping again..super gross.  this has never happened b4...Dr M is on vaca this week and figured I would ask my board of experts b4 I bother her...is this normal?

maggie 2

• bdavis
    edited June 2013

Mags... I posted a reply on FB, but yes, its normal.

• mags20487
    edited June 2013

:)  knew you would know!  thank Betsy...15th drain you think I would know

• Cherrie
    edited June 2013

Maggie, how much output do you have?? How long is Dr. M thinking they will be in. You are such a trooper.