Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

Thanks for the news, Pattysmiles!  I sent her a little note.  BTW, there's a "t" missing in the email address.  It's: 

Katie@breastcenter.com

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

Thanks LAstar,

So much for my proof reading!

Pat

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2013

I am out of my two hour surgery. A little fat grafting from inner thigh and one hip. Pain minimal but just got to hotel. Pain meds still kicked in. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Zenful- I know you ate a sleep, but am so thinking of you right now.

Dr. M looks amazing. I have been with her for a year now and have witnessed all her changes. She asked me to come back in early January for post pictures that she would like to use. She said I was a good "specimen" . LOL

Going to go rest now!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2013

Cherrie glad you are healing and pain is controlled....

Does anyone want to explain "fat grafting" to me.  Is that something everyone gets?  I guess I am expecting lipo and contour... and breast lift and shape at Stage 2.... not sure what fat grafting is?

thanks!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2013

cherrie..so glad it went so well.  Rest and heal

Maggie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2013

Mother-fat grafting is one of the tools used to shape the breasts using fat suctioned from other areas, then processed and reinjected where needed.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2013

Mother Melanie,

To explain a little more, they lipo the fat, send it through a "spin cycle" and that is what they use for the fat grafting a.k.a. filling in spots on breasts. Trust the docs; make sure to mention anything you might be unhappy with and then go with the doc's recommendations. They know what they are doing. Don't be afraid to throw more ideas/questions at them the morning of surgery. We sure did!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2013

Hi ladies! It has been a while! I hope you are all doing well. I just wanted to let everyone know that our friend, mentor and BC sister, Sandy (mom's daughter) has been diagnosed with colon cancer. For those of you that may not know her, Sandy has been a huge part of this thread and in helping people make their way to NOLA for surgery. Lots of positive vibes, healing thoughts and prayers would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2013

God bless Sandy.  

I sent a quick note to Katie.  Such a positive person.

• Nordy
    edited September 2013

W what is going on with Katie?

• Jane123
    edited September 2013

Klanders, I was thinking my booty looked a bit flat post body lift so started doing some booty lifting exercises but doubted they would work.  Alas - they worked.  I am back to a rounder rear.  Should have done this years ago...  I read stuff on the web re: brazilian "fanny" exercises and stuff.  Now I just have to keep doing the exercises.  Tam

• Jane123
    edited September 2013

Hello Nordy!  I read on the prior page that Katie is leaving the Center.  Any chance of you heading my way for a visit?  Peace,  Tam

• Nordy
    edited September 2013

Boooo!!! She will be greatly missed!

Unfortunately I will not be headed easy for a while! Any chance you will come this way?

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited September 2013

I sent Katie a email and I'm glad I got to see her last week when I was there. She has always been so helpful.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited September 2013

Pattysmiles..thanks for info on Katie. I will email her. She made my life so much easier by arranging my travel. So sweet on top of it all!

• motherandchild5
    edited September 2013

Blessings to Sandy... I've never met her... is she a BRCA?

Klanders or anyone having gone through Stage 2....

Can you give me some ideas of what you "threw" at them?  Other than me saying... "Lipo every square inch of my body..." I'm not sure what to say.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2013

My heart goes out to Sandy :(

Hope you are well Zen and Cherrie!

Katie is a sweetheart and will certainly be missed.

Eeekk....we leave tomorrow! I ended up at Urgent Care yesterday because I have a sinus infection and couldn't breathe.  Got a breathing treatment, some antibiotics and I should be good to go now.  Tuesday is going to come fast!

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2013

Sorry Jennifer for calling you Melanie! Brain blip. It worries me that that is happening a lot to me lately! And I haven't had chemo so I can't blame it on chemo brain!

Ok, so you and your husband need to stare at your breasts. We made the mistake of not doing that until the night before surgery (after the pre-op appt). Do they look the same? We realized my left breast was fuller on the side so asked for that to be evened out. Are your nipples pointing the right direction? Do you have the dog ears on ab incision? (I guess I did a little so that was smoothed out.). Are you happy with the size of your breasts? They can make adjustments there. I needed some fill at the top of my breasts to round them out. If you have a favorite bra that doesn't fit right anymore you could probably wear that so he can see where you need to be tweaked. I also had the scar in the middle of my ab revised as it had spread some. I asked about plication and Dr S said I didn't need it.

I hope this helps!

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2013

Ladies, there IS light at the end of the tunnel! I had my stage 2b done September 13th at UTSW. Uni-flap is perfectly symmetrical with reduced/ lifted natural breast. Nipple was created & abdominal incision revised a little. All I have left is the nipple tattoo scheduled for December 19th. You will get through this & reach the other side!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2013

Aw.. poor Sandy.

I emailed Katie and got a really nice reply. She is a sweetheart and will be missed. She was a huge part of making my trips seamless. Hopefully she will stay in touch!

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Just wanted you guys to know that I came home today. That is one day earlier than I thought I would. I must say that this surgery was a piece of cake compared to others. No narcotics, I am taking Tylenol and a Flexeril at bedtime. My left hip area and inner thighs lipoed and are tender. I walked some today.

I remember being so jealous of girls being done too. I can't believe I am done. It has been ten months. I will have compression on for quite a while as Dr. Massey likes us to wear it "forever".

Thanks for your continued support. I couldn't have done all this without you cheerleaders.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

Congratulations, Cherrie!  Narcotic-free, up walking, and feeling done!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2013

Glad to hear you are home Cherrie.

Everyone here is wonderful. The anesthesiologist was amazing. Used the patch and no narcotics so I haven't been sick at all, which never happens for me. Just getting tyelenol and toradol if needed. Walking a bit and I am supposed to get a shower today.

Thanks for all your healing thoughts and prayers. It is so good to talk to others that understand what it is like.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited September 2013

Great news Cherrie and Zenful!!!!!

Audrella...I am praying for you and sending huge hugs and strength!!!!! Sorry that you got a sinus infection:(

Sharon...thanks for your post!! Glad you are so happy:)

I emailed Katie and got a sweet reply also...IT's going to be strange not hearing her answer when we call the center!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2013

Cherrie, Congrats on crossing the finish line! Did you get nips and tats?

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2013

Cherrie, Congrats on crossing the finish line! Did you get nips and tats?

• mags20487
    edited September 2013

cherrie...so glad it went so well!  Rest up and enjoy the new girls!

Maggie

• motherandchild5
    edited September 2013

Wow... Done Cherrie?  Congrats what a wonderful goal to acheive!  Hard to believe you can have a surgery and be off heavy duty pain meds so soon!  Wonderful for you!

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Thanks everyone!

Pink- I had a nipple and skin sparring MX.

Audrella-You are getting closer. Thinking of you.

This is the site where i first learned about the DIEP. Boy what a journey this has been. Thanks to everyone for all your support this past year. Amazing.

I still think we need a gathering at some point. Maybe our own parade! LOL

Have a great week to all my breast friends.

• mags20487
    edited September 2013

yes a parade where we flash everyone our new boobies heehee

still debating the nipple surgery and thinking about tats instead.  just not sure what to do and still have time to decide.  mine were inverted before anyway

Maggie