Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2013

Also Hotwire is a good option for hotels close to canal/the quarter.

You can choose a 4 star but will not know what hotel it is until you confirm booking, no refunds but it worked for me for stage 1 and stage 2.

I stayed at the renaissance for VERY reasonable on stage 1 in April (during the jazz festival) and Hilton for stage 2.

This was a good option for staying local and not having to pay full price.

Good luck

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited September 2013

Pat..My hubby and I stayed at the homewood suites and really liked it. Katie should be able to book everything for you. Flights and hotels or hope lodge. Pack light! You are in the best of hands.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

Pat, now that you have a date, the Center will contact your insurance company and give you an idea of cost.  Do pack light -- I didn't use 75% of the stuff I brought.  I did live in my wrap-around cotton dress that was easy to get on and off and hid drains well.  I also got some great walking sandals with soft thick soles (Clarks Bendables) that were really great for slow walks when I was feeling up to it.  I really enjoyed my iPod and a favorite movie on DVD -- made me feel like myself a little.  It's better to bring little and have lots of room to bring medical supplies back with you.  I always do the 6 AM flight out of NOLA -- the airport is a little quieter at that hour.  Your husband can go back and stay at the Hope Lodge while you are at SCSH if he wants -- the room is yours even when you are gone.  I know it feels like a lot to plan for, but it all comes together wonderfully.  Can you imagine -- I even had some fun post-op! Best wishes!  

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited September 2013

I bought this great zip up cover up from Lands End that I used in the hospital instead of gowns and even in public afterwards. I even had my initial embroidered in it. I could just unzip it for the nurses doctors to check on everything but not feel naked in a hospital gown.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited September 2013

Do make room for all the medical supplies they will give you to take home. My aunt had to buy a small duffle bag to put everything in and on my stage 2 I folded it and stuck it in my bag and had it for more medical supplies to take home.

At the airport when leaving you should ask for wheelchair assistance, the hospital will give you a letter, if you ask, that will detail that you have had surgery. I think the airport at NOLA is use to passengers needing wheelchair assistance from surgery. I've had it for both of my surgeries and I loved it, cause it saved on having to walk a long distance and from someone bumping into you when it gets crowded.

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Ladies, I added some pictures to the forum for some advice. Please look when you can:) thanks!!!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2013

I agree with Judy. Get wheelchair assistance. I was zoomed to the front of the line with my hubby. I did get a pat down and they checked my hands for explosive residue. They were respectful and we didn't have a problem. I was prepared to lift my shirt up if they were witchy. That would have shocked them.

I know this all sounds overwhelming right now, but it does all come together. Take notes from what you see here and start your lists. Airlines,transportation, hotels, list of places to visit, packing list, appointments with directions and phone numbers, who to call, etc.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

Thanks All!

I booked Jetblue today. Southwest and Delta were more than double the cost.

I wound up booking on the phone as I had credits to use that I couldn't get to work. Wound up with a MOST HELPFUL Jetblue agent and instead Of giving me directions and hanging up she booked my flights for me AND waived the fee for phone booking!

Also, I told her I needed a wheelchair for my return flight...along with "even more space" seats (cost additional $30)...she said because I was booking with the wheelchair she would put me in the "even more space" seats FREE! (Hubby and I are tall and really need the legroom)

One final thought on jetblue...I had tickets booked to a reunion this past June, then Chemo got in the way. I called to see if I could get a credit due to my chemo and they gave me one! NO FEE! Sorry to carry on about them, but there is so much bad customer service out there, but this company seems to be doing well. A special shout out to Salt Lake City where the Jetblue agent was working from! Great people!

Ok, so flight is booked...picked the later flight to get home on .thursday so I don't have to scramble in the am.

Spoke to Katie and she said I could stay at Hope Lodge the whole time for free.

I told her I would get back to her....I wanted to see about staying elsewhere for a couple of days, depending on cost and what's going on.

Next will look at car rental to get an idea of costs.

Look at places to see prior to surgery, as well as some of the suggestions on places to stay,

And naturally need to work on clothes for the trip.(Marsha, I used to have two zip up "house coat, pool cover ups"and I got rid of them last year...go figure!)

Thank you for the extra bag tip...will be sure to pack one.

And the big one is getting my house in order as my MIL will be watching my kids. I think this will be the most stress! Lol. I can honestly say that in this house if its not one thing it's another and I have never gotten this place under control. I need to take it back piece by piece to make me happy. This way when I am stuck in recovery mode I won't be thinking how I can be cleaning up this messy house, I will instead be concentrating on books, movies etc! Lol

Thank you again for all of your help.

Before you know it October will be here and I will be wondering where the time has gone!

Pat

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Great news about Jetblue Pattysmiles...You will see everything will come together as we have said. Don't buy too many clothes for trip. I wore zippered sweatshirt jackets and lounge capris or workout pants.

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Patty smiles-I came early and stayed at the Hotel Monteleone. What an awesome place. We got a discount through the center. If you have time: Mississippi Queen, Swamp Tours, WWII Museum, lunch at Commanders Palace, try beignets, Bourbon Street (have to do it once), etc. I am sure others can give you ideas to do too.

You have airfare down, transportation to and from airport, Hope Lodge form to fill out, etc. a lot of progress in a few days. Renting a car away from the airport can be much cheaper.

Ask questions so we can help you.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2013

Hi Everyone,

Been reading these posts and first time posting here. Just started radiation this week and have met with Dr. Trahan in NOLA. They have set my DIEP for Dec 18. I am surprised/anxious that it is so soon. Last radiation is Oct 18. Not sure how my MO will feel about it. RO says he defers to the reconstruction dr's. Any input would be appreciated. Also, I have requested access to the pictures twice and haven't had a reply. ???

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited September 2013

Hello friends. Sorry I have been pretty MIA. Busy summer and now my class has started. But the 6 month post op date popped in my head and I had told some people I would post on the picture forum at 6 months out. I lurk a little here and there to check on you as I am always thinking about my NOLA friends and wishing all the best. I worry about you terribly when things take an unexpected turn. But know you are always in the best hands at NOLA. There truly is no better.

• Judy_63
    edited September 2013

Hey all,

I came to NOLA for tattoos and got surgery instead. Laying in bed now typing. I wanted Dr T opinion on lifting my left side before tattooing he told me what they could do, but tattooing would have wait...this was yesterday and they got me in this morning to do a three hr surgery. Left lifted and right adjust, lipo on hips and flanks and thighs, scar lowered and plication on lower stomach. Tattooed will have to want for another date.

• KBodie
    edited September 2013

Wow judy! Way to roll with it. That is a lot of changes! You are going to look amazing.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2013

vwbordelon....trust the experts....they would not schedule you if they did not believe it would be ok.   Everything will be ok try not to get too anxious.  I know easier said than done indeed but you can do it!

kbodie...so happy to hear from you...whenever one of us goes mia it usually means they are back to their life which is awesome.

judy...wowsa...quick change of plans for you....I am sure they will be spectacular!

dealing with the 3 week blues myself...feeling a little better tonight after some retail therapy :0  Waiting for the color on my hair to set right now which will make me feel even better.  have lost 18 lbs since may so you would think that would help but who knows...guess it  just goes with the territory...tomorrow is another day.

Maggie

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2013

Finally got my surgery date scheduled today. It's this Thursday, which means I have to leave Tuesday. I guess it is a blessing that I won't have a lot of time to fret about it!

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Wow Zenful that was quick. I have surgery on Thursday with Dr. Massey in Chicago. I will be thinking of you.

KBodie, it is nice to hear from you again.

Judy- Holy bananas! That is a stage 2a and 2b in one. Rest, drink, walk, rest,drink, walk......

Vwbordalen- welcome! Trust those doctors. They are the best.

Maggie- hang in there girl. 18 pounds!!! Good work.

• Judy_63
    edited September 2013

Yes it's a lot, but I told him to do all he can since this maybe my last surgery before the end of the yr. cause of insurance and my insurance is changing things in the next year. Hopefully tattoos in Dec.

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Wow Judy...that was great they were able to get you in to surgery:) I know what you mean about the insurance and such.

Welcome Vwbordelon..trust in what Dr. Trahan said... You are in good hands!!!

Cherrie and Zenful surgery on the same day...will be thinking about you both.

Mags...congrats on the 18lbs! Hope the blues go away soon!!!!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2013

Judy - Way to go!  I know you were only planning to have a Stage 1, but you will be so much happier in the end to have all of the tweaking done.  Just take your time recovering.

Kbodie - welcome back.  Glad you have been having a good summer.

Zenful - I really think that faster is better.  Just take this weekend to relax.  Everything will fall into place as needed.

Vwbordalen - welcome aboard!  

Cherrie - been thinking about you!  All will be wonderful this week.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2013

Thanks, y'all. Your support is so special. My husband has been very supportive, but I feel like he is getting weary from all this. It's great to come here to a group that knows how consuming this can be.

Cherrie, I will be thinking of you on Thursday as we drift off together...

Hugs to all.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2013

Zenful, I added your date to the list above! Less time to fret is a good thing, honestly. You'll feel relieved to be "on the other side" of it. 

• m1970
    edited September 2013

Judy, I know you were hoping to be done but ill bet you love your results. I sent photos in 4 months post stage 1 to get an idea of what to expect for my stage 2. I'm probably not getting tattoos either.

Zenful, good news about your surgery date. Mine was quick too and I had so much to do to get ready! But I think it's better than having to wait. My next surgery is January and it seems to be so far away. I just want to get to the healing part.

Friday night I started altering clothes, and I stayed up all night until the sun rose to do it. I was feeling the chemo effects starting and I figured I could sleep the day away and maybe not feel them at their worst. I have altered just about every article of clothing I own and purged what will never fit (this is my third purge since my surgery). I took about 6 inches out of all my knit tops and dresses, 3 inches out of pants and shorts. Some dresses were more tailored and had to make bigger darts. Now instead of dumpy and frumpy I have a new wardrobe that is actually flattering. Many of my clothes were an XL or size 14 or 16 and I'm now I'm a medium/large and size 8/10. Some of this change is due to weight loss from the past year when I had IBS and then went gluten free, and the rest is my DIEP surgery where i went from a DD to a B cup. If there is one thing I can't complain about with this latest round of cancer, I love looking at the girl in the mirror. She looks like I did when I was in my 20s. I just wish she felt like her too.

I'm going back to work next week for the first time since my surgery in May. I think I'm ready. I have some good days between chemo. I think it will make the time go by faster and before I know it ill be back at Nola for stage 2.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited September 2013

Kbodie- I haven't posted in a while but was happy to see your post and just wanted to say hi!  We met at SCSH in NOLA (our husbands hung out talking sports).  I am a year out from my last surgery and feeling great- trying to get to the gym 5 days/week.  

Zenful -I agree it is easier to have a short wait for surgery and know you are in the best of hands.

• KBodie
    edited September 2013

besa hello! I do remember you and am so happy you are doing well. Getting to the gym or some kind of workout schedule does feel good. It seems like you will never get there when in the middle of all this. And then...there you are.

• Judy_63
    edited September 2013

Marsha, I'm hoping this will be my last surgery. All the nurses at NOLA told me I was going to be happy with my results cause I'm pulled so tight all around. But I will say this is a much more painful surgery than my other two. I have 4 drains, one in my breast, which I think it can get pulled tomorrow and the other three are in my lower abs right above my pubic area.

• m1970
    edited September 2013

Judy, I bet that is a shock when you thought you had the hard part behind you. Now that I'm healed I have a hard time imagining having new incisions and another recovery. I know I can do it but I'm not looking forward to it. I'm sorry you are in pain. It just sucks that you have to do any of this.

• Judy_63
    edited September 2013

I'm still surprised that they could get me in to do this surgery. I figured that I would have to come back in a few weeks, but Dr. T said they wouldn't do that since I was there. This is the third time I've had my ab insision opened, but my insision this time is almost around my whole body wasn't really expecting that. I know I will get thru it, it will just take time.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2013

Wow Judy...surgery on the fly.  Who knew?  I bet you will be so thrilled with your results!

Zenful....we'll cross paths in NOLA.  You'll be heading out as I'm heading in. If you're up for visitors on Monday the 23rd...I'd love to meet you!  Sooner is definitely better than later....less time to work yourself up about things.

vwbordelon...hello!  You'll be so happy with your choice to go to NOLA. Picture access can take a while, just be patient.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2013

I'm having surgery in a week and I am either coming down with a cold or having an allergy attack.  Itchy ears and throat, runny nose, but no fever. Nothing worth missing work over as I feel fine.  I was at a friend's house over the weekend who had two dogs, so hoping it's just allergies.  If not, can I have surgery with a cold?