Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2013

Audrella - start taking Vit C and Zinc.  They aren't on the no-no list and are good for colds and healing post surgery.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2013

Audrella, I would love to meet you, too. I am still a bit worried about my history of severe nausea and vomiting with narcotics, but I remain forever hopeful that they can control it. So, hopefully my eyes will be uncrossed by then and we can chat.

Everyone has said to pack lightly, so I will take that advice. Am I correct that my husband can stay with me in the hospital the entire time I am there? He won't need a hotel room?

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited September 2013

Yes, your husband can stay with you the whole time. They will feed him three meals a day as long as your there and they have good food.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited September 2013

Yep, my husband stayed the entire time and they fed him 3 meals a day and they have a lounge area that has snacks etc and icees that I've never had in all 3 trips. Nausea made it kinda icky sounding to me :-(

Ladies, I think I've got a problem. Well my incision is slowly closing with the wet to dry bandages (kind of a pain), but glad no wound vac will be needed and we caught it in time. But, I think I'm suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome. I have every symptom listed and I'm struggling to the highest extreme. My work I think is tired of me working from home and having to leave early since technically I'm off medical leave. I'm going to ask for a private meeting with my boss tomorrow and see exactly where I stand. But, today I worked till 4 and has to drive an hour to pick my son up from practice and I was so exhausted I was struggling to make it up the stairs and saw stars. I started a multi vitamin and I started a super b complex vitamin too.

I know I still have low blood pressure, I can feel it and I'm trying to drink as much water as possible. Anyone suffered from this after a big surgery or several surgeries?

The next 2 months are slammed packed with events and one of those my husband leaves for a week which leaves everything on me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have to get back to me and have the energy to do my life.....

Judy hope you are feeling better and I know the feeling of being surprised when you wake. Hugs!!!

Xoxo

Chelle

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited September 2013

chellehump..I hope the vitamins kick in and work for you. I too have low blood pressure. I get tired easily. I do love working out because it seems to give me energy. I know you like working out as well. Have you ruled out depression and stress? Because that will steal all of your energy too. I hope it all goes away with time. Hugs!!!!!!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

Chelle, any chance you are dehydrated?  If so, an IV or two could help.  

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2013

Definitely going to up the Vitamin C and add in some zinc.  Ugh!  I really want to be strong going into this.

Chelle, could your hormone dosage be off and causing the fatigue?  My other thought was dehydration.  After surgery, I try to drink gatorade or powerade in hopes of keeping the dehydration at bay.  If it is dehydration, iv fluids are like a miracle...you will instantly feel better.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2013

Chelle... Would you possibly benefit from a blood transfusion?

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited September 2013

Hi

I was curious if anyone had this experience after stage 2.  I am about 2 weeks postop and my incision - the area closet to my axilla looks like there is a skin tag there. It doesn't look exactly like dog ear. it looks like maybe a bit of extra skin.  Has anyone ever seen this?  I really don't want another surgery.

Thanks,

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited September 2013

Betsy,

You may be right. I just sent you a PM.

• smurfhead
    smurfhead Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013

I am just starting the process of reconstruction.  I had left radical mx in 01/09 with chemo before and after then 6 weeks of radiation.  When I was finally ready to have recon, I went to the "best" PA in my area and he was a complete a--hole!  He said he would not do tram flap which is what I thought I wanted because I was a larger lady and we did not do well.  I am not that large!!! 5'7" and weigh 197.  I left his office mad and also crying because I thought there was no hope for me to look "normal" again.  I am going to the gym 4-5 days a week and feeling great, watching what I eat but this chemo fat is harder to loose!  I have been looking at NOLA and sent all my information I am just waiting on a surgery date.  I am so excited! 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2013

Welcome Smurfhead! Keep up the great work you are doing. You will heal better when the time comes. You are coming to a great team of doctors. I am 10 months out and am doing well.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2013

welcome to the club smurfhead.

Cherrie...be wishes for the upcoming week...hope this is the last one for you!  Enjoy Chicago

Zenful....you will do so great!

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Packed and headed to the Windy City tomorrow. Surgery is at 7:30 AM on Thursday! Not sure what Dr. M is doing. I will find out when I get there. Boy is that trust or what?? I haven't been let down yet.

Hope I didn't forget anything!!

• lastar
    edited September 2013

Best wishes for a smooth procedure, a quick recovery, and awesome results, Cherrie!

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2013

Good morning. Hope everyone is well.

I'm headed back to NOLA tonight for a consult with Dr. Trahan tomorrow afternoon. I've got some symmetry issues.

Who else will be there?

Ttay

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

ttay...Keep us posted..was wandering where have you been? Welcome back!!!

Welcome smurfhead..you are going to be so happy with Nola:)

Chelle...I think we have bombarded you with what it could be..we just want you to be better girlfriend:) keep us posted!! Hugs!!!

Cherrie....thinking of you:)

Zenful...thinking of you too!!!

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Victoria1..try putting the kelo-cote on it to see if it goes down on it's own:)

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2013

Thanks, Russell. I will keep you all updated. I admit, I've been lurking, keeping up with everyone. It's hard to post from work. I didn't even think that returning to NOLA would be an option this year, but, I broke my wrist in July. Gifts come in different, sometimes difficult ways. The wrist surgery  helped me meet my out of pocket for the year. So, I'm going down to see what's what.

Has anyone had to have the scar(s) from breast/under arm revised...from keloid roping?

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited September 2013

Just wanted to share this link, the wonderful hospital in NOLA has received national recognition!! 

http://www.breastcenter.com/media-center/st-charles-surgical-hospital-receives-national-recognition/

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Thanks for sharing Mstrouble!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited September 2013

Ttay. I hadn't axillary scar revised from 7 years ago that was lumpy and uneven and hurt at times. It had lots of scar tissue and was kind of ropey. This was done at my stage 1 in may. The new scar is flat, no pain. Very glad I asked for it. Keloid cote would never have corrected this. I do use keloid cote on my port scar and it has flattened it, but I'm hoping for a better result when it's cut out.

• Judy_63
    edited September 2013

I just want to do a shout out for all my nurses I had last Friday night into Saturday morning. Kim, Kimela, Charlotte, and Alice. There may have been others but these are the ones I remember ( you know how it is out of surgery trying to remember). They were all great and very patient with me. Kim told me they sometimes read the discussion boards. Thank you all so much.

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Settled in and took my shower with the Hibiclens! Alarm set for 5:45. Night night.

• Judy_63
    edited September 2013

Good Luck, Cherrie!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2013

Cherrie, I just Hebiclensed, too. Sweet dreams.

• lastar
    edited September 2013

I can smell the Hibicleans just reading the word.  We'll be thinking of you gals!

Alice always seemed shocked that I wasn't wearing underwear, then I finally put some on and the other nurses teased me that I looked like a superhero with my undies over my compression garmet.  Can't win! Laughing

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2013

Happy rest for you Zenful and Cherrie. See you on the other side.

I love my NOLA nurses! I didn't get to see Charlotte this last time :-( but I had Alice again and I just love her and the others!

And the kitchen staff is awesome, too!

Stage 2 was two weeks ago. I'm healing well and it looks like I'm done. They are out of fat and I like how I look anyway. I think my rear is saggy now but I can live with that.

A year ago I would have never dreamed I'd be where I am today! What a ride! I'm so very pleased with the choices I've made. Also so thankful for this forum board. I would have implants and I wouldn't have my nipples if it wasn't for y'all! Thank you, thank you!!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2013

Morning ladies!

My Stage 2 surgery is one week from today.  My head is spinning.  I really haven't thought about it much since I've been too busy with the little ones.  Anyone been watching the weather?  I know yesterday they said something about a tropical storm in the gulf next week...super worried!

Any recommendations for Stage 2... pass them my way... I absolutely have no list and no expectations and I feel like I am going into this really unprepared.

Take care and big hugs to you ladies!

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

Greetings All!

I am in the process of finalizing my trip plans to NOLA for my surgery.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Katie today.

DID YOU KNOW KATIE IS LEAVING NOLA,!

It is her last 2 days. And she is plugging away to get me set up.

I heaped praise for continuing to help me out in her final days and I told on her about how all of you rave about her and the staff. She said it made her day and nearly brought her to tears.

Anyhow...if you wanted to further make her day, please consider sending Katie good wishes, thank you,or whatever. She is moving on to another job closer to her home.

So often in life people (not saying you all) are quick to complain...it is the compliments unsaid that we might regret, and the compliments we give that help make US better people.

Katie@breastcenter.com. Is her email.

Pat

Edited to correct Katie's email address..I left out a "t" in breast.
    Katie@breastcenter.com