Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2014

Thank you Ladies!!!!  Very anxious/excited to see what they are going to do. 

Pattysmiles - what is your experience with how much fat grafting has "taken"?

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited March 2014

vwboredelon, My fat grafting was just Feb 26.  So far things look great.  I sure hope it stays that way.  I also have plenty more fat if the doc needs to do more, but I'm hoping I'm done.  They really don't discuss fat grafting not taking...,I hope it is infrequent!

Pat

• vwbordelon
    edited March 2014

Pattysmiles,

Dr. Trahan told me about 50% takes and they have better luck with thigh fat (of which I have a lot!). 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited March 2014

Looks like I have a surgery date of May 8th. Before cancer I was a size C, and somehow now after Dr. Sullivans magical touch I am a DD!! I have always wanted to go back and have them reduced a little, and the nipples touched up. Finally have good insurance and a date. As long as I can get the funds together for the small portion of my out of pocket I'll be on my way. 

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited March 2014

vwboredelon, I did not know that!  I wonder what makes that fat any different?  They took thigh, hip, rear end and upper stomach and pubic fat...I have no idea what they used for the grafting.   I just realized that Wednesday will be two weeks!  I was told compression for two weeks!  I see on the DIEP boards that a lot of their surgeons have them in compression for MONTHS.  Anyone know why there is such a difference?

Dragonfly1976 ...all the best on your May date.  Glad you can get it done!

Pat

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2014

Erika, that is great!

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2014

Best wishes to Gramof2boys and vwbordelon on your upcoming surgeries this Friday. I will be thinking of both of you! 

I took Miralax and Colase prior to surgery and for a few weeks afterwards. I highly recommend it--keep taking it--it will definitely help!

I wore compression for a long time during the day/night. I found it helpful and comfortable. Eventually--I only wore compression at night.

• lisa214
    lisa214 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2014

I'd also like to wish Gramof2boys and vwbordelon best wishes this Friday. You are in good hands. The hospital gave me Colase the day following surgery. I may start Miralax because I'm still backed up (still taking pain meds) 3 weeks post-op.

My stage 2 is set for June 25 with Dr. Sullivan.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited March 2014

I took coalesce before surgery (stage 2) and wish I didn't. I have trouble with IBS so I should have known better.  After surgery I did need it but not as much or as for long as the first surgery when I actually had 2 surgeries 1 day apart.  Either way I think it's better to wait until you need it, but that's me.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2014

I just caught up on everyone . Wishing upcoming surgeries the best!!! 

• vwbordelon
    edited March 2014

Thank you Ladies! Can't wait to see what they want to do!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2014

I haven't been here in a while and stopped in to ask a quick question about physical therapy...

I had it this morning (my stage 2 a was dec 9th). She was breaking up my scar tissue with her fingers, is this normal and is it ok to do?

I have another appointment set up and wanted to see about it before I go again.

Thanks for any input you may have and hope everybody's week is going well, 

Good luck to all the girls going in this week :)

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2014

Thanks everyone! Pre-op today, I just want this to be over!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited March 2014

Gram and vwbordelon, thinking of you both, sending loving, healing vibes your way. Praying that your outcomes are just as you envision them. Hugs!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2014

VW, Mirilax, 3 days prior. Solved my issues! Good luck with everything!

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2014

Marcie - My PT massages my scar tissue. It doesn't really seem to "break apart" but it does seem to ease it and maybe detach it from the chest wall ??? Regardless, it seems to have helped with my ROM along with the PT.

I survived the stress echo yesterday and am now feeling like April 9th is right around the corner. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2014

Marcie, my PT broke up my scar tissue on my hips. It really helped with the scar and lymph drainage. Dr D did tell me to wait 6 weeks, but other than that it was fine. So you should be good.

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2014

Is it important to break up scar tissue?  What are the benefits and when should this be done?

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2014

You girls rock and are always helpful, thanks for the info.

Bailey, it hurts while it is being done but after only 1 treatment, I already feel a difference.

Hope everybody has a beautiful weekend 😀

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2014

I wonder if I had had my abdominal incision broken up if it would have helped my swelly belly. Still have this and am 16 months out. I don't know what is worse, my rolls on tummy (gone one) or swelly belly. I will have to ponder that. Otherwise....so happy with results. 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2014

Cherrie - I am still swelling, but don't think any changes to my ab incision would help.  Dr M re-did it last April and in July I had some cupping done to be sure there were no adhesions.  I still have some lumpy areas, but am going to live with them.  Of course, the color is still a deep mauvey purple for most, but the sides have faded somewhat.

• Cherrie
    edited March 2014

Purple here too but it is very smooth. I am very happy with my revision. I swell in my upper tummy and am 16 months out. Darn!! :(  Also, I put in 4.5 months of full time compression with no difference in thighs. In fact I think they are flabbier. Wish I hadn't done lipo there. Otherwise, everything else looks great. So happy to be done. I will be going to Chicago at the end of April to do final pics with her. Dr. M is very happy with my outcome. I certainly feel lucky that I was able to be in her hands. All in all I would do it again. 

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

Cherrie... I think the swelling in upper belly is more about being smaller in the lower belly. Dr D said that they remove all this fat in the lower abs, but in the upper belly can only lipo surface fat... but it does nothing for the fat inside our bodies, in and amongst our organs... so by days end, it all appears larger. I have found when I lose a couple of pounds, my belly is much better.

ANd I think that scar breaking up helps with lymphatic flow.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2014

hi there my lovely friends....anyone that has had gap with complications I would love to hear some feedback.  Last week on the 5th is has been 1 year since my gap flap that replaced the failed diep on left side.  I have since had 2 surgeries on that cheek --one to remove a pseuso bursa and one a lift for the cheek.  I still have pain in that side constantly.  It is not OMG I need a pain pill pain but still bothersome everyday, every minute.  Has anyone had this happen and have it finally go away...not spontaneously but eventually.  I am trying to come to terms with the fact that this might just be my daily thing until they nail the coffin shut.  Any hope??

Maggie-2

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

Aw Maggie. My GAP flap was in July 2011 and with all that I have had done since, 2 butt lifts and a pseudo bursa removed, I have never had any pain. Not even right after the flap was harvested. So I do think what you are experiencing is unique. I know, not what you wanted to hear.... But perhaps you need to put time between now and the next attempt to fix it?

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2014

just a thought on swelly bellies - I'm 10 months out from stage 1. I've gained a couple pounds so my belly is not as flat as I'd like. (I'm up to 119 lbs - was only 114 at stage 2 so they had trouble finding good fat - they'd do better now.) Below my incision it's flat but I'm slightly rounded above.  I was diagnosed with food allergies this past summer (by a DO naturopath) and I find that the only time my belly really swells is when I eat something I'm allergic to or have intolerance to. That happened to me this past week. A girlfriend brought me some gluten free soup. But she forgot that I can't eat eggs and cheese so I bloated right up!  I never noticed any bloating before my DIEP but do now since I'm so tight. Just a thought with nothing to back up my theory except my own experience. Cherrie, It would be interesting if you could notice if you swell just after eating certain foods. 

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

I take a probiotic daily (Align) which I think helps... and when I am down a couple of pounds, its better.... When I eat too much, I protrude. Yuck.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2014

klanders - I have always had bloat after eating certain foods (pre and post DIEP)  Of course, that doesn't always stop me from eating them.  I had an Alcat test several years ago which gave me some parameters.  Now to lose 20 lbs before I see Dr. M one last time.  Okay, wishful thinking.  I work out hard 3x per week, but really need to add walks and runs.  Gotta focus.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2014

thanks Betsy for the reply.  She may be done with that side as I have already had the LIFT on that side...still lopsided and have been hesitant to let her do the other as I would hate this if it were both sides.  We shall see.  Next surgery is end of July so maybe she has more to do...I have not really asked and let her tell me what she thinks we should do.  baby steps to avoid complications

martyj....I want to work out so bad but she will not clear me to work out at all with weights on the arms...damn LE and cellulitis :(

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited March 2014

Thanks Betsy and Klanders. I am a good 15-20 pounds overweight and have some thinking to do about this. I do swell up after eating at times. It would probably be best if I ate smaller meals more times a day. ok, I need to get off my a$$ and get serious. I walk and then do nothing. I think the key is to move all day. I do wear my Fitbit and aim for those 10,000 steps.