Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• betny22
    betny22 Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2014

I have been doing pretty good, I had stopped taking the painkillers yesterday at 10 days and now late today I feel like someone beat me up, I am hurting all over. The tops of my breasts feel so sore. I just took a painkiller and hopefully it kicks in soon. I'm curious how everyone felt at around this time out from surgery. I also have a painful spot right under my breasts in line with my belly button, it seems hard inside.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2014

BetNY22, feeling beaten up after 10 days without no pain meds is totally normal.  I had BMX with hip flap recon and needed meds for a month.  My friends who'd had their MX earlier were feeling better in 2-3 weeks after recon, so hopefully you will be feeling better soon.  Is it your sternum that is hurting?  They took a little from my sternum to access the vessels in my chest, and that was the most painful part of Stage 1.  

Marcypt, I have oil cysts that have formed since my Stage 2.  One is at the top of my flap and two are on my chest.  One has gotten so big that it's visible on my chest.  I had an MRI to have it checked out and my local docs thought there was call for concern.  Luckily I was travelling to the south at the time so I scheduled a stop in NOLA and had Dr. Stolier take a look.  He said that they were just oil cysts and this is exactly the reason that they don't suggest getting imaging done -- I would have ended up with an unnecessary biopsy.  I read that oil cysts occur after breast injury or surgery and that sometimes they will require aspiration if they get too painful.  

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

BetNY22 - I'm about 1 week ahead of you. After I left the hospital I took 1 pain pill at night for two nights, but it made me so sick. I just take Tylenol PM at night now and OTC during the day. Some nights I have to take benedryl because the itching is awful. My chest is sore (the longer I stand upright, the more sore it gets) and my butt/hip incision hurts sitting...sleeping feels like I am laying on a pipe. My stomach is tender to the touch as well.

All very normal! We have had major surgery. I know some days are better than others, and each day will get a little better. Also, I'm not sure how you are, but anesthesia takes a lot out of me (tired and foggy), and the longer I'm under the longer the effects last. 

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2014

Hi Ladies,

Had my pre-op done today for my stage 2 on March 14th.  I haven't met with Dr Trahan yet but so excited to see what he recommends.  I have a few questions: are there normally more drains involved?,how long is the recovery? Fat injections-what's the long term viability?  Any information you want to share would be most appreciated!

• lastar
    edited February 2014

I think you should have the same number of drains that you had at Stage 1 but they won't be needed as long.  Recovery is much easier.  I was taking a slow walk at Barataria 2 days later and back to work in 2 weeks.  

Apparently my insurance company thinks the long-term viability of fat injections is poor because they wouldn't pay for it.  I have a large area of necrosis on one side that has to be removed.  On that side, the fat injections did not take well because of the reduced blood supply.  The other side looks great.  

Best wishes!!

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited February 2014

Nola got my paper work at the end of dec. ...early January.  I finally got my large amount of money I would owe. ..t a couple of weeks ago.   Then finding out I had anesthesia fees which were not mentioned.... we still have not come on an agreement of cost. They mentioned they would get back to me.... However have heard nothing a bout t he sum I will owe and possibly fees. THis Has Been A Long  Tedious process. I am about ready to just give up going there....i have heard great things about this place.....i really wanted to go somewhere great. But I feel like a needle in a haystack Any suggestions.  Pm me if u don't feel comfortable posting here. 

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2014

Hello Ladies...

Does anyone have any information about the new surgeon Dr. Wise?  Please feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thank you.

• vwbordelon
    edited February 2014

Dr. Wise assisted on my surgery.  I did not meet him nor do I know what part of the surgery he performed but I am totally pleased with the results.  Stage 2 scheduled for March 14th.  No clue who is assisting with that. 

• betny22
    betny22 Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2014

thanks LA Star and Momof5. its been a rough last 24hrs. Interesting about the Sternum LAstar, it wasn't mentioned to me but maybe that is why it hurts. Momof5 not that Im glad you are feeling sore but I am glad that it is normal. I just wonder why I didn't feel sore at first. I have alot of discomfort sleeping too, I long to sleep on my belly and side. It does feel like I am getting more sore and I look very bruised on my other breast which wasn't bruised before. I am back to pain meds but I guess that isn't that bad since they don't make me sick I just wish I was past that by now.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2014

I had not heard there was a new surgeon, but I see his name on the website... I am sure he is top notch.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2014

His bio indicates that he has been in practice for a while and in NOLA so he must be well known to the docs.  I have a feeling he will be a better fit than Dr. Cohen was since he was fresh out of fellowship.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2014

dixie60, I added your Apr 3 date to the list. 

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2014

in New Orleans since yesterday.  Lots of fun on Bourbon St.  Going in for my stage 2 tomorrow.  I have asked for a room with a view of the parade route on St. Charles.  Hopefully they do that, would love to brag about a front row seat!

Pat

• lastar
    edited February 2014

How fun!  Have a great time, Pattysmiles!  

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

I will be thinking of you Patty and sending loving, healing vibes your way. I hope you get your room with a view.  Are you going to try to get beads?  Lol. 

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Thinking of you Pat!! Hope you get your room with a view! 

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2014

LaStar

Interesting regarding the oil cysts.  Glad to hear that this happens was worried about it.

Thank you 

Glad to see everyone doing well !!!!

Marcy 

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2014

Momof5- I see you did Gap flap, I'm also set for that, over the summer. I am having left MX with temporary implant on March 14, Dr Stolier and Dr Trajan will be doing my surgery. How was the GAP flat surgery? I kind of nervous about the recovery. I need to to rads first then have that done. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

Julie

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited February 2014

Hi anybody new to this site I would highly suggest talking to Amy with hospital billing  and also talking with vicki.  Talking to both of them brought clarity to how they bill....  it was very helpful.....  I chatted with them Monday. 

I changed by username..... formerly stix

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Hi Gramof2boys,

Little background...I had a BMX w/TE in 2/2013. Then had implants placed at the end of June, 2013.  I then had a laparotomy in July to remove a large tumor in my abdomen. 

The hip flap (variation of the sgap) was, in my opinion, easier than the BMX, and much easier than the laparotomy. 

The surgery was long, and I came out with a pain pump that was removed after 12 hours or so (I had low BP). I had some nausea immediately after surgery, but nurses took care of that right away. I did oral pain meds while in the hospital (3 nights) and once out only took OTC for a couple of nights. I went to dinner the first night out if the hospital, next day breakfast and zoo (got a wheelchair for part of it), day after walked a bit in the French quarter and took a bayou tour, next day did 1hr 10min walking tour of a plantation.

My butt was tight, and chest sore. Sleeping is a pain because a) backside is sore and b) I hate sleeping on my back. At three weeks out I am tired and itchy by 5, still a bit sore, but can make dinner, do dishes etc.

The drains are a nuisance, but a necessary evil...once removed you feel so much better!

Everyone is different, but although not a walk in the park, this is doable. I had a TT with muscle repair after my 5th baby, this is much easier than that as well.

I hope that helps! Best of luck with you MX. You are in great hands in NOLA!

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Three weeks out from Stage 1 today, and just got my Stage 2 date!!! Woo-hoo. I'm scheduled for Thursday 5/29. I will be having all the "normal" stuff done (lipo hips, fix scar, even out foobs, make a nipple), plus Dr S will redo my tummy (can't wait to have a belly button again) so I'll be in the hospital 2 nights. I'll be flying down and going into surgery alone. DH will meet me for discharge and we will go home that Sunday. I'll be home for 6 weeks to recoup. I have a feeling it will be a tougher recoup than stage 1.

I know it will be here before I know it! 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2014

hello Nola sisters!

I had the good fortune of meeting Dr Wise at the CY4W (Conference for Young Women) sponsored by Living Beyond Breast a Cancer and the YSC (Young Survival Coalition) just this past weekend .

My first impressions was that he is very much like the original Nola Docs! With his outstanding CV and experience in Microsurgery rumor has it he will be as skilled a micro surgeon as all the other Docs.

I was told that the Center feels very lucky to have him as part of their team.

So in other words... "It's ALL good"!

Warmly,

Marcia

• Gramof2boys
    edited February 2014

Momof5- Thanks so much for the info! I will do prophylactic right MX when I do the hip flap. So both hips I guess. It sounds doable, I hoping recovery is easy. Good luck with the next phase, hope do as well.

• vwbordelon
    edited February 2014

Gramof2boys,

I am having my Stage 2 with Dr. Trahan on March 14th also.  Mine is for 9:30, what time is yours?

Best of luck!

• Gramof2boys
    edited February 2014

Mine is at 7am, but Dr Stolier is doing my mastectomy and Dr Trahan is putting in a temporary implant until I do my reconstruction. I will probably see you there. Hope your surgery goes well.

• maggie85
    maggie85 Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014

I have Stage II with Trahan on April 3.  I'm really curious about this ... how long you're under (I guess it depends on what all needs fixin), whether you have drains or not (good Lord, I hope not), how much they lipo, what kind of garment I must wear for compression (i burned that thing they gave me when I left NOLA after Stage I - not even kidding!  I went to using a Spanx type thing) ...  Celeste told me over the phone when she scheduled me for Stage II that compression is worn for two weeks. 

Do the docs lipo whatever you ask them to?  I think I've read that here somewhere, but don't know how that would work with insurance 

• vwbordelon
    edited February 2014

Maggie,

I have Stage II on March 14th and I was told I was scheduled for 2 1/2 - 3 hours of surgery.  I sure hope they lipo till the cows come home!

Good Luck

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2014

I just had stage2 done yesterday.  At pre-op he asked what I wanted lipo...I told him to "go to town".  I had marker on front and back and sides.  I don't think there is an extra charge....it's all part of the bill.  Compression is for 2 weeks. I think I was in a size 3x for stage 1, this time they put me in a 5x.  And I hadn't put on  weight, so there must be lots of swelling to deal with!

They sent me home with two compression bras and two knee to chest compression garments.  

I look like someone beat me.   I feel like someone beat me...but it's doable, just walked the French quarter and am going blackout for parades.

Pat

• maggie85
    maggie85 Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014

Patty - no drains?  Which one is your doctor?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2014

Springtime.. dates to add:

maggie85 Stage II with Trahan on April 3

vwbordelon Stage II on March 14th

Gramof2boys left MX with temporary implant on March 14, Dr
    Stolier and Dr Trahan

momof5kids Stage II on May 29