Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2014

Liking it Erika!!!! NOLA is great in May. Will you be there in time for any of Jazz Fest?

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited March 2014

I think it ends before I get there?? :( I will be there the 6th - 11th. I am struggling to find a place to stay that's not a fortune right now.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2014

dragonfly, have you considered staying at the Hope Lodge? It's free for cancer patients. NOLA can set it up for you if there is availability.  I stayed there twice and it was a blessing. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited March 2014

I have stayed at the hope lodge and it is truly a blessing. I am hoping to take my daughter with me on this trip so I would like to stay somewhere a little more local or close to things. I got a great deal on the clarion by the center so I'm pretty excited!

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2014

I have a question on places to eat in NOLA.  My trip is in a week for tattoos. Hopefully my last time.  I know some of you were talking about some restaurant that was really good. But I can't remember the name of it.  Could someone refresh my memory please?

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2014

I am a big fan of Cochon, which is southern/cajun.  Upscale hamhocks with greens, goat biscuit, rabbit and dumplings.  I'm an Alabama gal, and this place rocks my world!  :)

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2014

I think Betsy & Vinnie are going to Rev.

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

Yes, we are going to Revolution... Commander's Palace is also one of my favorites. Judy, do note that it is the French Quarter Festival that week, so make reservations now. I am eating at Revolution, Arnauds and NOLA this trip.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited March 2014

I recommend Royal Oyster House / Bar.  Fun to sit out on the TINY balcony and eat memorable chargrilled oysters and a fine spinach/cranberry/pecan salad.  Also, Albertos shop in the French Market makes a really good vegetarian sandwich (not on the menu, but ask about it).  I heard good things about the Green Goddess (quality healthy food) in the French Quarter, but have not yet eaten there.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2014

Green Goddess is excellent. Be sure to walk through the place next door that makes the gas lanterns. Also Tommy's or Irene's.(they used to be a couple and now have separate restaurants.  My favirite is Bon Ton Cafe.  REAL old New Orleans food and atmosphere!  Also if you like Vietnamese try Lilly's on Magazine.  You can almost walk to it from the center.  Bon Apetit. 

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

Oh... Bon Ton Cafe is yummy... and Irene's.... I went there for the first time in November. A little crowded when I was there.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited March 2014

I should be making a list, I'll never remember these places. I loved Zea's as well.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2014

Don't waste you time on Zeas. It's a chain restaurant. A poboy would be better them that 

• Judy_63
    edited March 2014

Thanks for all the recommendations,  I had looked at Commanders Palace on TripAdvisor.  It had high ratings.  Too bad Betsy we can't meet, but I think I will be leaving about the time your getting there.

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

I know... I fly in on the 9th at night. Love love love Commanders.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited March 2014

strong opinion vwbordelon ... I love Zeas, I can't be the only one. Can I be added to the list above for May 8th please with Dr Sullivan 

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2014

bdavis - you're in April, girl! 

dragonfly - I'm a Zea's pesto crusted trout and corn grits girl! Love the hummus appetizer too. In NOLA I like Mandina's. I never get enough crab maison from Galatoires. It's worth the price of admission, in my opinion. Port of Call has the best hamburgers (and bloody marys). Central Grocery is a fun muffuletta experience. You can't go wrong with most of the neighborhood restaurants either. There is so much flavor in New Orleans. If that cute little one in your profile photo goes, she NEEDS Cafe Du Monde beignets and hot chocolate.

• Judy_63
    edited March 2014

That's my daughter, she just turned 15.  She went with me last June for my second surgery and we did get Cafe Du Monde that time.  

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

Terri, yes. The day after you. I will try to come by after my tattoos.... Depends how long it takes.

And the restaurants.... you really can't go wrong whether its a fancy Commander's Palace or a muffuletta at Central Grocery. I usually like to hit the Gazebo Cafe for lunch near the French Market. They have great salads and cocktails. It all depends if you all are looking for fancy or slumming it. There are some great holes in the wall too. And if you are looking for a weird evening experience, check out the Dungeon. Its a bar in the heart of the Quarter. Years ago the only way to the upstairs bar was up a ladder. I knew even when I was 18 that that was a fire hazard. Well, sure enough, they had to seal the ladder and add a staircase (or open it to the public). Weird place even with the stairs. And yes, Port of Call does have the best burgers.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2014

Boy all this talk about the delicious tastes of  New Orleans makes me want to go back real soon. Really hate to change the subject but I have a bit of a problem. I had my PBMX almost a year ago (yea me!) & one of the mastectomy Drs was a Dr Decorssi (sp) they were using from Ochsner. Well about 6 months ago I started getting a pretty large bill ($5600) from Ochsner. I'd tried at least 3-4 times to clear it up. The last letter said they had sent me to a collection agency!! Finally got the center involved & they are diligently working on it for me. Center said they even have an authorization # from my ins (BC/BS). Has anyone else had any kind of problem like this? I'm starting to get a little freaked out. Planned on a stage 2B next year but honestly don't know what to think now? Sorry so lengthy. Anyone else have this Dr or this problem?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited March 2014

tlbradyful - I am doing everything I can for my girl to go with me!! Best part is she has no idea, I won't tell her until the very last minute :) The food is one of the best things about NOLA! 

Barbmal5 - I have not had this experience or doctor. I am so sorry to hear what you're dealing with. Try not to stress, I am sure with the center involved it will get taken care of soon. Keep us informed, wish I had more advice on the subject :( 

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

Barb... I also did not have this doctor, but the Center has been and continues to be great at dealing with insurance. I am so glad you involved them.... Anyone who I have used from the outside (outside the Center) has been in network, or the bill was reasonable.

• Judy_63
    edited March 2014

Barbmal5, the last surgery I had they used a out of network assistant to assist the Dr.  The hospital, center, and Dr T are all in network.  I was looking at my EOB online and my insurance didn't pay anything it was all going to be on me.  I called the center and they told me I shouldn't be getting a bill from this assistant, if I did let them know.  It kinda freaked me out too since it was going to be over $3000. 

• bdavis
    edited March 2014

I also saw denials for the assistant. But I never received any bills.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited March 2014

I scheduled my tattoos with Vinnie for Sept 15 in Maryland. 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2014

hi ladies just checking in to give an update on myself. I had hip flap back in January 2010 and I just passed my 5 years cancer free in December to only find a lump two weeks ago. My doctors were sure it was fat necrosis but sadly it was IDC again. We will not know the size until my lumpectomy on Wednesday and I am putting the gloves on getting ready for the chemo that they have planned for me so far. :(. It looks like I will be getting AC followed by Taxol, herceptin and perjeta then finishing off the year with just Herceptin and perjeta along with rads. 

To say that I am shocked is an understatement. When I meet with  my breast surgeon this AM I was at least given the positive that the cancer is in the residual breast tissue. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2014

Jaimie, so sorry. :(  Did anyone tell you how rare it is to have a recurrence after a bilateral mx? I thought it was very rare, but that doesn't give you any comfort now. They always say they can't get *all* the breast tissue. But, you never think.... so sorry to hear this... 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2014

there is a 2% chance. :(

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2014

Jaimieh,  so sorry to hear you are going through this. I guess it is something that all of us fear at some level. I'm praying for you, girl. Stay tough. 

• bdavis
    edited April 2014

Jaimieh.... So sorry. We all want to fall in the 98%, so it truly sucks when you are in the 2%.