Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2014

Yeah Patty, sounds like you got the works.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2014

Thanks, I put all those in the list above!

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2014

A few questions about Stage 2:

If your breasts are lopsided, do they correct to make the larger one smaller or vice versa?

How long does the "major" part of the swelling last?

Will I have to sleep elevated again and on my back?

Any input would be appreciated!  

• lisa214
    lisa214 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2014

I had my stage 1 on the 18th, so I'm 9 days out. I feel okay. Despite being told by a local surgeon that I didn't have enough tissue for a DIEP, that's just what Dr. Sullivan did. By the way, Dr. Wise assisted, but I didn't meet him. I saw him in pre-op, and I knew who he was from his picture/bio/CV.

Dr. Stolier came in my room to check on me the day after surgery, and he told me that one of my implants (put in 1987 for enlargement) had basically disintegrated and silicone gel had leaked out. Dr. Sullivan stoped by very briefly to tell me he was going to Florida for a conference, and I saw him on Monday morning for my post-op.

Care in the Center was terrific, and I was sad to be discharged on Friday. Since then, I've received one call from the Center to check-in. Tomorrow is week from discharge. I wonder if they'll call to see how I'm doing. If not, I'll have to call for more pain meds. I was hoping not to need more meds, but after 8 hours without pain relief, I'm in agony.

We'll, I'm going to assume the mummy position and try to get some sleep.

Lisa

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2014

Maggie, no drains for me.  I don't know if others get the in their stage 2 revision.  Dr. Sullivan was my doc for oth stages.

Vwboredelon,  my left breast was slightly (ever so slightly) smaller than my right.  DrSullivan said he could even it out by adding fat grafting to that breast.  I told him to bring me up from my small B to either a full B or a C.  I don't know what size yet..lots of swelling.  Definitely no stomach sleeping and I doubt I will sleep on my sides as the hips hurt from lipo there.  They did mention that sleeping slightly elevated was a good thing.

Lisa, if you are running out of pain meds call them. No point in waiting! Feel better!

Pat

• Daylekbraca2
    Daylekbraca2 Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2014

I had bilateral DIEP 1/21 with Dr Sullivan (left mastectomy for new cancer and right delayed reconstruction for cancer 2005)

I am having Stage 2 in April. 

Any advice on how long to plan to be out of work?

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2014

I took two weeks off after stage 2, but I think I was back to work within 10 days because I didn't need pain meds.

• maggie85
    maggie85 Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014

Thanks, Patty ...  I'm going to be sure to ask Dr Trahan when I get there for my pre-op appointment about drains, just in case.  HATED those.  Nurse Laura told me that the swelling could last up to a year and a half!  OMG ...  I know I have had a lot of swelling and still do, and its because I probably should have rested more.  I was back to work after 3 weeks.  I'm just not used to being inactive.  I think about those weeks after Stage 1, and think to myself I was lucky I didn't hurt myself or bust open an incision. 

When you say they gave you two compression bras ... were they like the ones you got after your Stage I surgery, or more supportive?  I found those ones after Stage I too loose.  I quit wearing them the second I was told I could.

wbordelon ... I think they will make you as even and perfect as they can in Stage II ... that's what I've been told, anyway :)  I had to do my post op with Dr Sullivan after Stage I, because Dr Trahan got tied up with a surgery, and he told me they will give me larger or smaller breasts, if I wanted.    I kinda think Stage II is almost a treat for us. 

• Pattysmiles
    edited February 2014

Maggie, same black bras as from stage 1.  I remember ditching them and going to a sports bra while in New Orleans, so before I even got home! (After stage 1)....I'm not feeling as swollen as last time, but there is definite swelling. And lefty is looking quite a bit larger than righty...hoping that it will even out.  What swelling are you talking about?  Stage 1 or post stage2?

Ugh!

Pat

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2014

Be careful using a sports bra... They really aren't meant to compress, as that would just encourage loss of fat grafting IMO.

• maggie85
    maggie85 Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2014

Patty, I think Laura meant that after both stages, it could possibly take up to a year and a half for all the swelling to subside.  Each person is different, so it just depends.   By the time I get home from work, I feel swollen and I just want to put on my fuzzy pajamas and get horizontal.   I hope the swelling isn't as bad with Stage II for me. 

How long did they tell you that you have to wear those black bras after Stage II?

• Pattysmiles
    edited March 2014

bdavis, sports bra was with permission of Dr. Sullivan.  I had taken e with me as I had them after lumpectomy and wanted to have them "just in case".  This time around their black bras seem more comfortable...I definitely do not advise anyone to switch to a sports bra without conferring with your doctor .

Maggie,I was told compression bra/ body thing for 2 weeks.

Pat

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited March 2014

Dang.....It's another blizzard in michigan. ........  When is this going to stop ? 

• vwbordelon
    edited March 2014

Is it normal to find out what procedures are going to be done before stage 2 the day before?  

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited March 2014

I would want to know b4 the day b4.  It may bring rise to more questions once it sunk in..... not sure where your receiving treatment. ..

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2014

Well had I kept my March 5th surgery I would be leaving tomorrow.  I am sad in some ways that I am just not going to be getting this all over with then on the other hand I am glad that I do not have to deal with recovery etc.  I have had drains every surgery.  My backside still hurts daily and at this point I believe that it will never go away.  It does look quite good so that is a plus--just need to get the other cheek to match. 

It really is an amazing leap of faith for us to put in these doctors.  I am so happy that I chose to start in NOLA with Dr M.  She has helped me so much with my recon issues and LE.  Had another flare of cellulitis a couple of weeks ago so now I am her only lymph node transfer patient who has had cellulitis after the surgery ( I have now had it twice) lucky me eh??  I can only imagine my fate had I chose to go another path with much less talented surgeons. 

Best to all the ladies just beginning and those going through the different stages.  My next surgery is schedules for July 29th so a nice break in between if I decide to do it.  May just take the whole year off.  We shall see how I feel in July :)

Maggie-2

• Pattysmiles
    edited March 2014

vwboredelon , yes, I think it is in most cases?  

I believe when I left NOLA after stage 1 they told me that my stage 2 would be mostly lipo and if needed, scar revisions as well as fat grafting.

When I was on the phone with the hospital, the week before surgery, they mentioned nipple recon and I chuckled, as I had kept my nipples....I think billing asks for everything, then when you get there they can pare it down , but wouldn't be able to necessarily add more for billing purposes without that prior approval.

They have a check list at the pre-op....there must have been 10-20 things on the page.  I'm sure the list was made from all their years of experience of what patients wanted/needed.  It is very easy to go through.  When the doc asked what I wanted lipo'd I told him to knock himself out. 

If, after that pre op visit you should have a change of heart on something you can always tell the doctor in the am of surgery.  I know we had discussed size and at that time I told him I was happy with what I had...he had offered to go bigger....he told me I had til the morning of surgery to change my mind.

Maggie2...I hope you continue to heal, youve had a rough time.  I'm sure that the wait will be worth it.

Pat

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2014

vw... with my three stage II surgeries, I had a pre-op the day before and went in to the visit with a list.I always let Dr D tell me what he thought first. I then turned to my list. There was usually 1-2 things I wanted that he didn't mention, but he usually hit on about 15 things I wanted done. With my last visit, we had discussed a fluid filled seroma/hematoma I had in my butt, and in the morning I asked him to cut me open and remove it versus investigating whether it still had fluid in it. So I just asked to see Dr D before surgery. I will say (because it was convenient for me) I had a consult a few months before my second and third stage II, but that had more to do with it being the revision of the revision of the revision. LOL.

Mags... Glad you kept the appt... one step closer to the END.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2014

knowing an ending is coming really helped me. You may feel that as July creeps up. I sooo hear you on the recovery part. That is why I just can't go through another one. I am so happy you are pleased with results.

Wish we could have met. I left Vero Beach 2 weeks early as my daughter had her baby 1 month early. We are coming back with my grand daughter in a couple of weeks. The weather, up north, is stinky. Love those warm days and cool nights. 

Hope all is well with your new business. 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2014

I am sorry I missed you too Cherrie...congrats on the new grand baby!  so exciting.  next time it MUST happen.  And Marty j we are meeting when I get to Charleston next. 

At least i got a letter from my insurance yesterday stating that they were going to allow me to keep my policy throughout 2014 and into summer of 2015 so my deductible will stay lower until I am indeed finished.  Dr m thinks at least 2 if not 3 of them to get it done...now to decide if I want nipples or not..HMMM???

Mags

• MartyJ
    edited March 2014

Maggie - can't wait!  I have been wavering on nipples and cancelled my March surgery, too. Driving Becky nuts.  I finally decided that I need to just go for it so I guess it will be August (unless she has something open up in March).  I used run-on nipple tattoos for a while and missed the bump.  I am glad you are giving yourself some time between this time - you will be in much better shape for your next surgery.

Cherrie - congrats on #2.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited March 2014

I have my call in to the center, and they are running my insurance. Hoping to have the nipples redone, and a possible reduction! I know I received a grant for $2000.00 in 2011 for travel costs, but I have moved and can't find the records of where it came from. Has anyone had luck with this? It's been a while since I went to NOLA so I'm anxious, and excited, not sure how my new insurance will handle it?

• Pattysmiles
    edited March 2014

saw my oncologist yesterday and she did some bloodwork.  Apparently I am anemic.  When she saw all the bruising from the lipo on stage 2 from 2/26 she said that could very well be the cause.  I know my bloodwork was done a week before surgery by my primary doc so imagine this is surgery related.

Funny thing is I was attributing dizzy and tired to the minocycline antibiotic they have me on post surgery. It clearly states on the literature those 2 side effects.  

Started a Liquid iron yesterday.  Hope this does the trick.

Pat

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited March 2014

Pattysmiles,

I too had bloodwork before my November surgery and it was fine. Then from lipo fat grafting surgery and major major bruising apparently caused anemia. A month after surgery my family doc ordered labs and it showed up then and of course he suggested iron.  I Just was a little surprised that labs were done one month post op and indicating amemia. I just had labs repeated and my numbers back to normal. Bet my roast beef and spinach sandwiches helped too. :)

• Pattysmiles
    edited March 2014

thanks Pinkheart.  I guess I am lucky I had an onc appointment and she took blood....otherwise I dont know If i would have figured it out!  

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2014

How is everyone doing? My surgery is Friday, one more thing to check off the list. Hope everyone is doing well, I will keep you up to date on my progress post-op. I hope all goes well.Happy

• Pattysmiles
    edited March 2014

wishing you the best gramof2boys!

• vwbordelon
    edited March 2014

Hi Ladies,

What medicines do we take for BM's before surgery?  I remember there were 2 suggested on this forum and it helped me with Stage 1.  I have Stage 2 on Friday and can't rememer!!!!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I participated in my first Walk for the Cure in Baton Rouge.  Had a great time and very heart warming!

• Pattysmiles
    edited March 2014

some take stool softener (colace) and then add Metamucil (mixes with water) or some type of thing like it.

Personally, I didn't start stool softener til day after surgery (in fact the center gave it to me), and I also took my Metamucil to the hospital to start on the day after surgery.  

For my stage two I was under for about 2 hours...it was mostly lipo with a little scar revision, as well as fat grafting (I had my girls taken up a size).  I was a nipple sparring/skin sparring double mastectomy for stage 1.

I did learn a week after stage 2 surgery that I was anemic.  I was very bruised up from the lipo...happened to have oncology appointment, and blood showed anemic..,doc said it was likely from the lipo.  So I am on iron for 4 weeks, then go for labs.  I did have "signs of anemia" about 4 days after stage 2, tired, and dizzy, but that was also listed as a side effect for the minocycline (antibiotic) I was taking after surgery.

Sorry I got lengthy, but I always appreciated reading others experiences, so I thought I would share.

Pat

• MartyJ
    edited March 2014

Miralax & stool softeners.