Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Sassy01
    Sassy01 Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2014

Kim, that is so frustrating! Sorry!  I booked my flights and figured the worst case (best case) scenario was that I would have a vacation in New Orleans! it's still early. I actually didn't even get my approval letter until after the fact!!!!

• Sassy01
    edited September 2014

Kim, for the record.... You are ahead of the game! My Stage 2 is in early December and all I've done is book the hotel!!!! 

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited September 2014

Kim--can't help you but I'll be there having my Stage I on the same day with Dr. M.  Hope to see you then.  

• MyDiane
    MyDiane Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2014

Hi Sassy01

I am 15 months out from my unilateral DIEP and still, periodically, experience mild stabbing pains as the nerves continue to generate.  I take it as a good sign.  If the surgeon was careful undermining the tissue, you are more likely to regain feeling.  Nerves can continue to regenerate for a long time.  Continuous pain or something so strong that is takes your breath away should be evaluated.  Don't hesitate to ask your doctor.  All questions are good ones if you are asking them!

• Sassy01
    edited September 2014

MyDiane, thanks! Most of it is periodic lightning flashes of pain. Yesterday, however was rough! I coughed and oh boy I was hurting for the rest of the day. Ended up taking a pain pill last night and went to bed early. Still having trouble today... Cannot stand up straight! I'm guessing I overdid it and pulled something pretty good. I'm going to go back to baby steps and being cautious. I think I was pushing to fast too soon! 

• Kim_L
    Kim_L Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2014

Hey everyone!  I just wanted to follow up to my post about delayed insurance preapprovals for revisions to my GAP flap reconstruction and let people know that the Center called today and let me know to go ahead and make travel arrangements, that at least half of the proposed procedures had been approved.  Maybe even more approvals will come before next week.  Thanks for the support!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2014

Sassy - at 5 weeks out, you have a lot of healing to do.  Yes, baby steps.  Don't rush things - healing inside may take longer than outside.  Standing up straight can take quite a while.

Kim - glad you got the go ahead!

• dixie60
    dixie60 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2014

Well, my Stage II surgery a week from today. I am officially getting anxious. Excited too, but anxious.

Kim, I m so happy to hear you got the all-clear. I just realized today that I hadn’t cleared my insurance with them either, so I’m on the phone tomorrow! Thanks for sparking my memory.

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2014

I'll be in NOLA (in September) tomorrow actually, for pre-op visit
    with Dr. Massey for stage 2b. I'll check on the icee flavor for all
    upcoming surgeries.

Terri

• mary625
    edited September 2014

So there's only one ICEE flavor at a time?  Yes, we need to know!  Wonder what the choices are?  Is the ICEE like the Slurppy?

My surgery, Stage I, is in less than a week.  I leave day after tomorrow.  

• Kb33
    Kb33 Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2014

icee flavor last week was cola and piña colada.   

• tlbradyful
    edited September 2014

That would be perfect KB33!!!! I only drink Coke or cherry and my daughter loves pina colada. 

Mary, my brother never walked into my room to visit without an ICEE in his hand. He stopped by the family snack area before he came to see me! HA! Brothers. ICEE is a brand of frozen beverage similar to Slurpees.

• MyDiane
    edited September 2014

I've read several posts recently regarding returning to 'regularity' after surgery/anesthesia/pain medication.  I'm going to throw out a few things that help me, even as an ongoing practice.  Gluten is an issue for a lot of people, even those who are not truly 'allergic'.  It is tough for many to digest and can contribute to slow moving digestion for many.  Even if you don't perceive digestive discomfort from eating gluten, eliminate it for a couple of weeks and see how you feel, digestively but also with your energy levels and mental functioning.   BEFORE surgery for a few days and then again after until regularity returns, avoid gluten, as well as beef and pork which are notoriously slow to digest.  Try to wean yourself off of coffee and replace with green and white teas.  They are lower in caffeine and less of a shock to the digestive system which is about to experience a big shock. Drink coconut water and bone broths after surgery.  Bone broths are stocks made with whole chicken (pasture raised) or beef soup bones (from grass-fed beef).  If anyone would like the simple 'how to's' I can share that too.  Sugar is a culprit after surgery.  Try to avoid it or at least minimize it if you can.  After taking antibiotics, it is necessary to encourage regrowth of healthy bacteria in the colon using pro-biotics and naturally fermented foods.  Sugar tends to feed the undesirable yeast growth in the colon.  Finally, massage helps which is out of the question following abdominal surgery.  BUT you can self-massage as soon as your doctor allows and your own comfort level dictates BY MOVING YOU ABDOMEN LIKE A BELLY DANCER.  No hands, just your own abdominal muscles. Slowly, smoothly, gently.  It will help your bowels move things along and return to normal.  I hope some of these suggestions help.

Good Health,

Diane

• Kim_L
    edited September 2014

Hey Diane!  I'm using every last one of those strategies with good results, and I wish I had read your post a year ago!  The antibiotics really did a number on me, and I'm just now getting my digestion back in order.  Kefir and home-fermented vegetables seem especially key to inviting helpful bacteria back into my life.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2014

good information Diane. I'm sur this will be a huge help to many. 

• Kim_L
    edited September 2014

There are usually two flavors of ICEE at SCSH, and when I was there both times they were cola and pina colada.  DBF noted that these flavors both go well with rum.  :D   

The Slurpee is the same as the ICEE.  Wikipedia says that a cooperative agreement between ICEE and 7eleven required a different name and so the Slurpee was born, ICEE's identical twin.

• smd3
    smd3 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014

I just left NOLA and along with the icees they made me real fruit smoothies.  I had some swelling of my vocal cords and could not tolerate swallowing food. They were wonderful with the smoothies.  Just need to ask.  Good luck.

• mary625
    edited September 2014

I think the ICEE was a trademark or brand name at something called the Tinee Giant where I grew up.  I am so hoping for the cola flavor!!!!  SMD--I guess your vocal cord swelling indicates that they are going to be using intubation.  Sigh.  Believe it or not, I don't think I was intubated for my BMX.  Then I was for my OOPH.  Big difference.  I'd like a real fruit smoothie in any event.  

• tlbradyful
    edited September 2014

MyDiane - great suggestions

smd3 - fruit smoothies? I can't wait!

I have the ICEE locator app for emergencies. I was at SCSH yesterday to pre-register and the ICEE machine was down again.

• mary625
    edited September 2014

I just arrived in NOLA.  Bumped to first class on my way down.  Woohoo!  Maybe it's a good sign.  

• Kim_L
    edited September 2014

It's good to hear your pampering has commenced, Mary!  I hope they can get the emergencee ICEE fixing crew there ASAP to sort out the beverage snafu before your surgery ends.  Happy

• MyDiane
    edited September 2014

Mary625-

Being bumped to first class is ALWAYS a good sign.  Good luck to all having surgery this next week.  

• tlbradyful
    edited September 2014

Mary - It will not be your last first class treatment this week! I can't wait to meet you. 

• mary625
    edited September 2014

You gals are giving me confidence!  I walked by the hospital this morning.  It's so inconspicuous and small on the outside.  I got a little nervous.  Tlbradyful--it won't be long until we meet!

• Kim_L
    edited September 2014

I actually think the smallness of the hospital could be part of what makes it so great!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2014

Mary, when I went to the Center for my pre- op I couldn't figure out why Dr. m was operating out of a warehouse.  Then I got around the back and saw Dr. d's Ferrari by the entry.  It is lovely inside.  You will be just fine!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2014

good things come in small packages....and never read a book by it's cover.  The center is so beyond amazing.  The best care in the best setting indeed!

Maggie

• MyDiane
    edited September 2014

After my consult, my husband and I toured the hospital and found it to be incredible. In pristine condition, state or the art equipment, thoughtfully designed rooms, open and airy.  We were so impressed.  This in combination with the reputation of the doctors and staff, made our decision to come to NOLA an easy one.  I'm grateful to be having my surgery there.  I know you will be too!  

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2014

MyDiane-- I had the tour and felt the same way about the hospital and the staff. I had stage 1and 2 there and I am very grateful. Best wishes to you!

• mary625
    edited September 2014

Things are moving along for me.  I will be having DIEP, not a GAP buttock procedure, on Wednesday.  Today, I had lymphedema measurements, pre-op with the nurse, CAT scan, and first meeting with Dr. M.  Tomorrow is Lymphoscentesis at Tuoro and 2nd meeting with Dr. M.  The ICEE machine is still broken.