Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2014

Gram,  I had to have my hip aspirated several times after one of my drains failed.  The short wait for stage 2 will work in your favor here.  I was still having aspirations when stage 2 came around. 

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2014

Gram, I had to have mine aspirated a couple times after Stage 1. My left hip drain was in for 7 weeks and still outputting a lot. My stage 2 was 4 months following Stage 1, and it was just the right amount of time.  You will be glad you did them rather close together. I couldn't help but compare it to having a second child before the first is out of diapers. It's better to get it all over with while you are atill in "surgery mode". 

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited October 2014

Ladies, how long did it take for the wounds to heal?  I think this means scabs gone.  Dr. M patients have to apply Betadine until healed, and I'm trying to figure out how long that may be so I line up any help that I need at home.  I may be able to do that on my own by next week.  

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2014

sydgrace I had a cold start 5 days before my last surgery.  Still had a touch of the sniffles and a cough but all turned out well. No fever...so I think that is the decision maker for the docs.

Grama...I had to have my donor site drained 2x and then finally had to have Dr M remove a pseudo bursa that formed.  Make sure you are wearing your compression to help the fluid from building up

Mags

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2014

Mary - for me it was usually 3 - 4 weeks before all were gone.  You will surprise yourself at what you will be able to do for yourself next week and the week after.  The body is amazingly resilient when we give it time to heal.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2014

SeaShellie, I added your Nov 14 Stage 2 surgery date to the listing above.

• Kim_L
    Kim_L Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2014

I had donor sites drained once, but 500cc on one side and 700cc on the other... which came right back within a couple weeks.  I was told that I don't have to have aspirations unless I want to, so I chose just to let things take their course after seeing that aspirations seemed to have no real health benefit and only temporary benefit on the swelling.  I haven't seen many people post about having seromas and just leaving them alone, so I thought I'd chime in with that perspective.

• Seashellie
    Seashellie Member Posts: 42
    edited October 2014

Thank you for adding me to the surgery schedule Springtime! Stage 2 is only 6 weeks away and it's been a long time coming. It's been 3 years since stage 1 DIEP. I've been working out and losing some weight to be in the best possible shape for surgery. I have butterflies of excitement/nervousness just thinking about it. This will be my first time in NOLA and it could be scary traveling across the country for surgery with a Dr. I've never met in person but I feel so confident about being in good hands from reading of other peoples experiences on this board. Surgery is with Dr. Wise who is fairly new there, has anyone here had surgery with him yet? 

• MartyJ
    edited October 2014

Seashellie - I haven't had surgery with him, but his CV is amazing.  He has lots and lots of experience.  He wouldn't be working at the Center and taking cases if the docs didn't feel totally comfortable with his skills.  Because he is from NOLA, I suspect they have known him for a long time.  Enjoy NOLA!

• smd3
    smd3 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2014

hi seashellie. Just had Dr wise do my repair work this morning.  My surgical onco was there too.  All very kind , professional, AND compassionate.   Still hooked up to antibiotics but enjoying my icee.

• Seashellie
    Seashellie Member Posts: 42
    edited October 2014

Thanks MartyJ, his cv IS amazing, thanks for reminding me of that, it helps. 

smd3 - Great to hear! Heal fast and enjoy that icee!

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited October 2014

Does anyone know if dr. D is still answering questions on ask the doc? I have not gotten a response. Maybe he is out of town? Sick? Or possibly no longer answer ing questions?   Pm me if u want..

• Zenful
    edited October 2014

He's heading to China to give a presentation to doctors there on his techniques. He has probably been very busy in preparing for his trip and presentation. 

• dixie60
    dixie60 Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2014

speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to Erin?

She wasn’t there for my stage 2. After 3 surgeries with her, I missed her!

• Stix
    edited October 2014

Thank you... how fun for him and exciting. ..

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2014

Heather... How did it go?

Erin was there this past June... didn't say anything about leaving. Love her.

• Sassy01
    Sassy01 Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2014

Erin was there is August. She was awesome... Checked on me every day in the hospital! And called me a couple weeks after....

• Stix
    edited October 2014

Any idea when Dr. D is coming back from China??   I have a question for him...  WOW- it must be a great feeling to know your needed......  He can't even go on a trip but people inquiring about him... :).  He has a great Life!

• Zenful
    edited October 2014

the conference was. October 9-12, but I don't know when he returns. 

• MerrellGirl
    MerrellGirl Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2014

Zenful,

I need to start planning what to pack for my Stage 1.  Any tips?

• Stix
    edited October 2014

thanks zenful

• MartyJ
    edited October 2014

Merrill - there is a link to a packing list at the top of the page for this thread.  Might help.

• Sassy01
    Sassy01 Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2014

Merrellgirl, just keep in mind that they will send you home with lots of supplies! So, be sure to leave some extra room! We over packed and did some serious creative cramming on the trip home. 

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2014

I fly into NOLA tomorrow.  Will see Dr. D on Thursday afternoon.  Will any of you be at the Center during that time?

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited October 2014

I will be there tomorrow afternoon for a post op. Hope to get this drain out!!! I way over all of this.

Jane- enjoy your time in NOLA, the weather is beautiful!! I hope you have a few days to see the city!!

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited October 2014

I was surprised at how much they provided--surgical bras, girdles (only for Dr. M patients, I think) or panties, and belt with pockets for drains.  With the girdle it would have been better to have had some skirts with me.  Instead, I had shorts, and they didn't cover the girdle.  As I was leaving Walgreen's after discharge with my medicines and moving very slowly, there was a drunk man sitting on the concrete up against the wall.  The girdle lace hanging out below my shorts was right at his eye level.  He perked up and said "how YOU doing?"  I thought my sister would pee herself laughing.  I took a step or two, turned around and said "not that well, really."  

Things I took and didn't use:  sleep masks, ear plugs, post-mastectomy surgical vest with drain pouches, underwear.

And if somebody can find out what the name of the Philosophy shower gel is, I would greatly appreciate it as I want to order some.  I called the hospital to find out, but never got a call back.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2014

Betsys are still a great option.  Bdavis is discovered them at Target and we named them for her.  Made by Giligan O'Malley and found in the sleepwear section, they are ultra soft floaty sleep pants with a wide waist.  I found several on sale and a jacket to match that made it look like I had on an outfit.  Got me through some things when I didn't feel like dressing up, but had to.  

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited October 2014

They really supply almost everything for you. You usually get 2 bras sometimes more, I did get 2 compression girdles and Dr T is my doc, pads, betadine, pouches for your drains. I brought button down pajama shirt and pants to wear but you wear a gown for the first day or two. Just toiletries if you need them, the have shampoo, shower gel, etc. So not much needed for your care in the hospital. I now have about 6 black bras in an assortment of sizes,lol!!

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited October 2014

I agree they supply most everything.  My aunt, which traveled with me, had to buy a small duffle bag to put all the medical supplies in for my stage 1 and I packed it in my suitcase when I went back for stage 2 cause I knew they would supply me again.

• Ilovelouie
    Ilovelouie Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2014

hi, this is my first time posting here, I think. I will be having my stage 2 in about 3 weeks and I don't really know what to expect. My surgery will be 6 months to the day of my BMX DIEP/SGAP. All though everything looks good, I think I have a partial flap failure. I had stacked flap and outer half is still very hard. I call it the tip of the iceberg. From the front you feel a small firm tip and then lower area of firmness but when I turn on my side it is like this massive hardness flips to the surface. I don't know how they will fix that. I don't want to think about losing the entire flap because I don't know where they would get another one.