Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2014

Stage 2 made a huge difference for me. Even if you are satisfied, I am confident they can make your girls look even better. Stage 1 is really to get viable tissue. Stage 2 is intended for refinement. I posted pics of my Stage 2, Stage 1 and pre-surgery pictures on the picture forum, if you are interested in seeing the difference it made for me. 

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2014

Ok hip girls, I am 5 days out from my bilateral hip flap and I am so tired. I get up and walk around some then sit for awhile. I am not having any pain really just around the drain sites. How long did it take you to feel a little better? I will tell you my surgery lasted almost 9 hours. Everything looks great just need to heal for now! I guess my stage 2 will be in December and then I'm done. I a

• Zenful
    edited August 2014

I can't really say, because I had DIEP and GAP flaps at the same time. I can tell you I was totally exhausted for weeks. The three week mark is much better.  Take it easy and rest a lot.  A little walking, and a lot of rest. 

• Gramof2boys
    edited August 2014

Thanks,Zen! I will take my time recovering. Just wanted an idea.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2014

I am marked and ready for round 7 with Dr Massey tomorrow...I just love her so much.  She is going to really work me over.  Lower the belly scar, lift the right diep breast, fat graft the left gap breast, and lots of other goodies she has in store for me...can't wait.  She said I will definitely notice a huge difference this time around.  Excited but scared of course.  Going to bed early as I have to be at Roper at 6 am. 

Mags

• Zenful
    edited August 2014

Good luck, Maggie. What a great way to celebrate your 3-year cancer free anniversary!!  You will look fabulous!

• Rivkyw
    Rivkyw Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2014

zen, anyway you would email me the pics or post them in th FB group? I have not been allowed to access the pics here. I don't think I post enough.

• Zenful
    edited August 2014

Rivkyw, I only posted them to the forum because they are private and can't be accessed by anyone else. I don't feel comfortable emailing them or putting on Facebook to be out there floating about in cyberspace. You should have posted enough by now. Have you asked the moderator recently?  Keep trying. She will give you access. 

• MyDiane
    MyDiane Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2014

Zenful, can you tell me how to reach out to the moderator?  I would like to see/share photos but I'm not sure how or who to contact.  Thanks!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2014

Diane... the picture forum is not connected to BCO, but a separate site run by nowheregirl. You can PM her, but since you only have one post, she will not grant permission. She likes to see an active participant n BCO before granting access. Its her screening process, one that I am thankful for since she hosts my nakedness. :)

• Zenful
    edited August 2014

Sorry, Diane. I knew I had seen a number of your posts, but didn't realize they were on the Facebook page. Betsy is right, you have to have multiple posts before you will be allowed access to the pics. I, also, am thankful for the security. 

• Gramof2boys
    edited August 2014

I'm 10 days out from bilateral SGAP, my non cancer breast seems a little softer to me than my cancer breast. Dr T did say radiation did a number on internal tissues not skin. Will that side soften some, it's not hard just firmer than non cancer side. How are they supposed to feel??

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2014

Dixie, I added your stage 2 surgery above in the list. 

Gram, I used Mirilax 3 days before surgery, and then kept at it until I didn't need it anymore. Don't know what I'd do without it! I had the WORST constipation issues. HORRIBLE!!! ack.

Eloqui - I think Stage 2 is a personal choice. If you had nipple sparing, you may be satisfied. Some want the donor sites worked on even if the boobs look fine. Some are more willing to undergo more surgery than others to get the result they want. Others would rather avoid more surgery. Typically, 2 stages are done. I had to do two Stage 2's to get things right for me (I had 4 flaps and really needed stage 2, and beyond, but then, I am very picky). Good luck! 

How to Access the picture forum is in the listing above: (pasted here too in case it helps)

• How to access the "Picture forum" - Click on "Member List" in the left navigator and find NoWhereGirl. Send her a message asking for access.
  • Zenful
    edited August 2014

Gram, it takes a little while for things to soften. I think it was 3 or 4 months after my Stage2 when they really settled in and felt like mine. It's probably a bit different for everyone.  I'm not sure if size matters. I'm between a C and D. 

• mags20487
    edited August 2014

just had my first shower since getting home yesterday.  I am quite sore across the tummy.  Dr M did plication, lipo the left butt cheek to make it a little more even with the right (gap donor site) and she evened up the scars across both flaps.  They look great...fuller too as she did some fat grafting.  She says once I start to heal I will see a big difference....cannot wait!  For now it is all I can do to shower without needing a nap :)  One day at a time

Maggie

• Angelabianca
    Angelabianca Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2014

Hi Ladies, could anyone give me some insight into the down time they had with stage 2 ? 

I had a hip flap from Dr Trahan last year and want to schedule my stage 2.... I can no longer take what I lovingly call my "shark bit" butt. LOL ! I also need to be evened out on top. Radiation caused one breast to heal very different from the other. Now that I am fully back into my life I need an idea of how long I will be down ?? Thanks

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2014

I was feeling up for slow walks by day 3 and back to work in 2 weeks.  So much better than stage 1!

• mags20487
    edited September 2014

has anyone had the honeycomb looking bandage over the wounds?  This is the first time she has used it and I am not really sure how and when it comes off?  I know I could call and ask her but you guys are always my first source.

Today was day 5 and I have not taken any pain meds today.  Finally got to poo...ahhh the simple things in life.  Thinking I will take some tylenol pm to help me sleep the night.

Maggie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2014

Maggie - the honeycomb is a special thing she only uses in Charleston.  They used it for Chuck after his back surgery.  I think everyone borrowed it from the heart surgeons.  Love it.  Just leave it in place - it keeps things nice and dry.  I think I kept it on for 2 weeks.  Glad you are off the pain meds.  This really isn't that bad as long as you don't push yourself too much. Give it another week before you do a lot.

I think that the anesthesia is now behind me.  I quit on the pain meds after 3 days - way too loopy.  I still have lots of glue covered stitches and will be 2 weeks tomorrow.  I am hoping things loosen up soon.  The nips have gotten smaller, though they are still "huge".  I went to Soma and bought two of the wireless underwire bras in a bigger size and can hide rather well.

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2014

Angelabianc - I was fine by day 3 and could have gone back to work after a week, but didn't, just in case. I only had scar revision on both sides and fat grafting on thighs for stage 2a. I am sure it is all relative to the amount of work you have done. I am anticipating a little longer for 2b.

Mags - I am so anxious to hear how #7 went! Hurray for you.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2014

Angela - my 2a took me about 2 weeks.  I had work done on both boobs and my ab scar lowered equaling 4 drains.  The lipo was worse than the drains, but I could have gone back to work at 2 weeks.

• Kb33
    Kb33 Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2014

5 days out and very nervous....

I've read the posts about ensuring you are not constipated after surgery.  Since I am normally a 2x a day kinda girls I have never had this issue.  Did everyone take something prior and after to ease this?  I am embarrassed to say I decided to take something last week to see how my body would react to a simple laxative.... Let's just say it was a miserable night for me and I did not leave the bathroom for hours and then I was constipated for 4 days after....   Yikes

• Rivkyw
    edited September 2014

so I have never had a reply for my picture access requests. Does that mean I am not yet eligible or that she is not getting my request?

• Rivkyw
    edited September 2014

stage 2 scheduled for oct. 30 with dr. Sullivan 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2014

I am sure she is getting your requests, but she'll want to see more than 9 posts here before granting access.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2014

regarding laxative: I hate them!  I prefer a stool softener like Colace, softening up prunes in hot water, taking magnesium, smooth move hot tea and a suppository at last resort.  Lots and lots of water.

• Angelabianca
    Angelabianca Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2014

Ladies, thanks for the info. I feel like I am coming to the party late. I got my first surgery in 2012 and I have waited 2 years to go back and do stage 2. After reading some of this thread it looks like everyone went in soon after their initial surgery. I hope that won't make a difference. The thought of another surgery makes me want to scream.... How far out did you schedule? I am hoping to get down to NOLA in December. I wonder if that is even feasible.

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2014

kb33 - I used dulcolax before (2 days) and after (until it was easier).

Rivky - Pic forum will get back with you once you post enough for her to feel comfortable. People are trusting her not to let people look at their vulnerable photos without serious consideration. I know it's hard to share here at first, but it does help people feel more comfortable getting personal. Did you have DIEP or GAP?

• Rivkyw
    edited September 2014

tlbradyful- I had diep with extended hip. All prophylactic, thank God. I am about 5 weeks out and still much weaker than I expected but healing nicely. Looking forward to stage 2.

• mags20487
    edited September 2014

for any of you who had your belly scar revised...how long did you have drains.  I am only 8 days out but seriously where the drains are coming out hurt more than anything else on my body.  I must say the breasts look super....lots of great stuffing on the top finally.  I no longer have such a disgusting looking chest!!!  Hope all the fat stays in place and does not get necrotic!

Maggie