Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2014

Marty- Wish I had know that. We stayed at Extended Stay for my last three surgeries in Chicago. I was on a first name basis with the manager. They got a lot of my money. 

One week for you!!!!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2014

leaving in 2 weeks for the next round with DR M...wow...time just flies.  it has been almost 9 months since my last surgery and I must say the hiatus was nice.  My body decided to be female again and I got my period again after a 6 month lull in the excitement.  Wish it would just make up it's mind as to menopause or not.  ERRRRR

Mags

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited August 2014

I stayed at the Hope Lodge in NOLA for my first surgery in March 2013.  I had the center make my reservations and didn't have any problems getting a reservation but things might have changed now.   I also got one of the reclining bed which I didn't request but they knew what kind of surgery I was having.  You might ask about a room with with a reclining bed it sure came in handy when I was there.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited August 2014

An update- Aflac is being uncooperative of reimbursing me for Travel to See Vinnie Myers FOR THE COMPLETION OF THE NIPPLE AREOLAR COMPLEX I know they have reimbursed others. I PLAN ON CANCELLING MY POLICY. I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER SINCE 2006- AND MY REOCCURENCE RATE IS SO LOW THAT I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH KEEPING AT THIS POINT.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE TRAVEL AND LODGING ON MY POLICY. I KNOW THEY HAVE COVERED OTHERS FOR THIS SAME THING!!!!!!!!!  PM ME OR LET ME KNOW SOMEHOW IF YOU WERE COVERED FOR TAVEL/LODGING FOR NIPPLE/AREOLAR COMPLEX

• ucfmom
    ucfmom Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2014

Stix, that sucks!  I've had the Aflac cancer policy since 2005 and have received close to $16,000 in benefits from it this year.  I was hoping that they would pay the mileage and lodging benefit as listed in the policy when I go to see Vinnie in NOLA in February.  I've seen posts from an Aflac rep (Phyllis?) somewhere on BCO.  I know it was a thread I commented in.  Maybe look her up and send her a PM to see if she can help?   Good luck and please let us know what happens.  

• ucfmom
    ucfmom Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2014

I also wanted to say thank God I upgraded my individual policy to family coverage in 2010 because my husband was just diagnosed last week with lymphoma.  Can you believe that?  Both of us in one year.  :(   Don't cancel your policy just yet - you definitely need to appeal this first.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2014

Tlbradyful, I added your 2B and 2C dates. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2014

Hi Ladies... I am a couple of pages behind... Been away.

Mary I stayed at the Homewood Suites in April and also a Hilton Member. I got a room with a torn sofa. I complained and they moved me and also lowered my rate. I was a bit surprised and disappointed, but the cost and location and size of room is good for recuperation. I much prefer the Monteleone and Bienville for location and historic value. I stayed in a Preferred Double at the Monteleone in June and loved the larger room... Of course it cost more too. Love the Monteleone.

• Stix
    edited August 2014

Ucfmom-

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with your husband.  That sucks. Aflac is going to look into it.... but, they may just be blowing me OFF.    I have heard NOTHING.  NOTHING back from them.  I will probably have to write another letter!!  It ticks me off because I didn't even ask for my monthly fees to be not taken out because it was such a hassle and i needed surgery relatively fast and I was in school fulltime and working full time.  

• Stix
    edited September 2014

Its not like I am asking for something thats 100 percent not in the policy!!  Its a bunch of crap!  Giving the common hard-working  person a hassle!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2014

Maxine58, I added your Dec 16 surgery with Dr. M in Charleston...

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2014

Well, I am slightly smurfed up.  This is Dr. M's last chance at me.  Nipples tomorrow then on to tattoos. 

• mags20487
    edited August 2014

yeah MartyJ looking forward to meeting you in person next week!  Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow!

• Cherrie
    edited August 2014

Thinkng of you Marty. It will all go great. 

• MartyJ
    edited August 2014

Hi all, surgery over and am in my room happily tucked I with Dilated.  Nausea successfully managed so far.  Even had a light lunch of square meat chunks over rice.  Will bust loose tomorrow. Only 1 drain. DH made it to the funeral (Tempe neg friend) and had lunch with the cell mates.. Life is good. Hugs!  Love me some dilauded. DH napping with huge rainstorm on the way.    Hello Wilbur!  He really is not helpful when I type so am cross posting.  Cut and paste he helps with.

• mags20487
    edited August 2014

sleep peacefully Marty...see ya next week...can't wait!  Let that dilaudid take over...it is wonderful!

Maggie

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2014

Marty, I can't wait to hear all about your last surgery!

• Cherrie
    edited August 2014

Marty- So happy that you met Wilbur again. He is great company. Can't wait to hear all about your latest experience. Sleep well.

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2014

Marty--I hope you are feeling better--glad this surgery is done.

• dixie60
    dixie60 Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2014

I’m Sept 24 Stage 2 with Dr. D.

VERY excited.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2014

Dixie, you will be amazed at the artistry of that man. Love him!

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014

Dixie--I'm September 24 Stage I with Dr. Marga at the same place!  Let's run into each other.  

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2014

Sitting in my chair at NOLA, post op day #1. I did fairly well, had a headache and nausea this am but they gave me Fiorocet and Phenergan. What a difference. I did hip flaps so girdle it is. I'm not in much pain IV out, no PCA pump and catheter out this afternoon. Already had me walk to the ICEE machome,lol. I have 4 drains and they have a pulse oximeter attached to my new boobs. Kind of like listening to your baby's heartbeat. The nurses and staff have all been great. Update tomorrow, shower day: (

• Cherrie
    edited August 2014

Gramof2boys- Don't forget to eat prunes or anything to move and soften you know what. Those pain meds and antibiotics can do a number. Drink as much fluid as you can, walk, rest, repeat.........Positive healing vibes coming your way.     :-)

• dixie60
    dixie60 Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2014

I'm so excited that I will have friends there at the same time!

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014

Dixie--are you the same person as Kim L. listed above, or are there 3 of us?  

Gramof2boys--your news is like music to my ears!  Glad to hear you are doing so well.  

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2014

Came home yesterday afternoon from the center. I live in New Orleans so no need to travel very far. I didn't sleep real well last night propped up on ten pillows, lol. I feel better today. I am taking Colace and everything, I don't take too much of the pain meds though. The girdle and drains are annoying but not too bad. They now give you (rent) a DVT machine that comes with the leg wraps and they send it home with you for a few weeks to wear at night. You just pack the battery pack and charger up and mail it back to the company.I hope I will feel a little better each day.

• lovecat3
    lovecat3 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2014

hi everyone Diag IBC 2010 then met to spine 2012 now finally having DIEP flap Sept 25!! Live in San Diego traveling to PRMA  anyone else out there gone to PRMA? Would appreciate any advice! 

Wish me luck

• MartyJ
    edited August 2014

Lovecat3 - glad you are going to have your DIEP.  There are PRMA girls over on the DIEP 2014 thread.  Most on this thread go to Breast Center in NOLA or Dr. Marga.  There is a great packing list at the top of this thread.

• eloqui
    eloqui Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2014

Has anybody decided to forgo stage two? I had bilateral hip flaps and am pretty satisfied 3 months post-stage 1 surgery. Did stage two make a big difference?